Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://youtu.be/KVFtv_DDOs4

A leak by monster energy drinks puts the price of the series X at $599.

Pinch of salt needed of course.

Digital Foundry think they'll both(Xbox and PS5) be $599. Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah that's fairly in line with what I was thinking. Be interested to see the conversion to euro though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

For anyone planning to get the XSX at launch, what is the first game you intend to play on it? I get wanting to have the new thing, but for me it would make no sense to have the current console and drop minimum of €500 on a new console just to boot it up and play the same game i was playing the day before on Xbox One.
    It's great that when you do power it on that first time you immediately have a library of games, but what is the rush to buy it i guess is my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

For anyone planning to get the XSX at launch, what is the first game you intend to play on it? I get wanting to have the new thing, but for me it would make no sense to have the current console and drop minimum of €500 on a new console just to boot it up and play the same game i was playing the day before on Xbox One.
    It's great that when you do power it on that first time you immediately have a library of games, but what is the rush to buy it i guess is my question?

Cyberpunk if it is going to be available on next gen at launch. Haven't been following so I do not know if it is a launch title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

How much would a PC cost that can do what an XSX do? Is 600 good value then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SMC92Ian wrote: »

A comparable PC would cost €1000-1300.

You would want a 3700X or 4700X CPU. €300-400

A NVMe SSD. €?

A GPU by AMD that hasn't released yet(ray tracing). €400-600

And then the rest of a PC. Motherboard, PSU, Case, RAM, KB&M and controller.

Still costs way more than a XSX.

you'd be looking to spend in and around that on tbe graphics card alone.

This is going to be instead of a PC upgrade for me. I'll keep the PC as a high spec 1080p machine.

There will be lots of games enhanced, same as we saw with the one X. Plenty of games in the backog and of course cybepunk and AC Valhalla.

Its no different to upgrading your PC really. You'll play plenty of games already released but you'll be playing them on ultra settings.

For me hopefully the medium is out in or around launch, really looks right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I dont really care if its "good value" compared to an equivalent PC. If the XSX launches at £600, they may as well just give up. We know the PS will be expensive as they just cant afford to sell at a loss (and they have a better brand) but MS need to get boxes in homes so they have to go lower - especially so with zero games at launch. If it's over £450, my X wont be getting upgraded any time soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

theteal wrote: »
    I dont really care if its "good value" compared to an equivalent PC. If the XSX launches at £600, they may as well just give up. We know the PS will be expensive as they just cant afford to sell at a loss (and they have a better brand) but MS need to get boxes in homes so they have to go lower - especially so with zero games at launch. If it's over £450, my X wont be getting upgraded any time soon

Do they really need to get Series X in homes though?

Like they have GamePass on PC, they've Cloud Streaming coming on board and they've the Lockhart console coming.

Microsoft want you on a subscription service. If you have GamePass they're probably happier than someone buying a Series X which they're probably going to lose money on selling.

That's a fair point. I just dont see another generation of constant reports of "PS has outsold Xbox n:1" as being good for business. Are gamepass PC subs a significant number? If people start to swap from xbox to ps as more of their friends have them, then the main source of subs goes with them.

That's a fair point. I just dont see another generation of constant reports of "PS has outsold Xbox n:1" as being good for business. Are gamepass PC subs a significant number? If people start to swap from xbox to ps as more of their friends have them, then the main source of subs goes with them.

But if both consoles are the same price and most of the games people play with friends are multi plat there really is no reason to move.

if you have a one with game pass its a massive upgrade ( prob worth the price touted) if you have a one X its a good upgrade and will be a harder sell by MS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had a PS1, PS2, then a 360 and Xbox One. Thinking about picking up the PS5 this time, especially if all the PS4 exclusives I missed out on will run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I had a PS1, PS2, then a 360 and Xbox One. Thinking about picking up the PS5 this time, especially if all the PS4 exclusives I missed out on will run on it.

PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One.

Don't see myself boarding the gen train at all tbh. I only seem to play pubg anyway. Might pick up a vanilla PS4, that Spiderman game looked pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

The only fact I really said was Sony have more exclusives and better one's at that, backed up by sales and reviews.

I am genuinely curious as to why someone would get an XSX over a 5. It's like when I asked why anyone would of gotten a One over a 4. I have every generation of console with zero loyalty to anyone. I want to like MS so I have something to play on my XSX but they're just failing.

I have both. I didnt buy the PS4 but won one about 2 years ago so bought all the exclusives and finshed them all, now the PS4 gathers dust are rarely gets turned on.

The online (xbox live) is a far better service.
    Downloading games on the XB is the same as downloading something on a PC. A 50-100GB game on the PS4 would take about 3 f*cking days, ridiculously slow.
    I dont really like the interface on the PS4 anyway.

All my friends have an Xbox so that is also the number 1 decision to not move as well. I can always pick up a cheap PS4 to play exclusive. I will prob fold for final fantasy 7 part 2 though :/

Also for Next Gen i have a 1080p tv and also the Xbox One X. If i buy the Series X i wont even get get the benefit of having great graphics and i am not buying a new tv for it so unless i do a gamestop Trade i might just wait a while for a price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I have both. I didnt buy the PS4 but won one about 2 years ago so bought all the exclusives and finshed them all, now the PS4 gathers dust are rarely gets turned on.

The online (xbox live) is a far better service.
    Downloading games on the XB is the same as downloading something on a PC. A 50-100GB game on the PS4 would take about 3 f*cking days, ridiculously slow.
    I dont really like the interface on the PS4 anyway.

All my friends have an Xbox so that is also the number 1 decision to not move as well. I can always pick up a cheap PS4 to play exclusive. I will prob fold for final fantasy 7 part 2 though :/

Also for Next Gen i have a 1080p tv and also the Xbox One X. If i buy the Series X i wont even get get the benefit of having great graphics and i am not buying a new tv for it so unless i do a gamestop Trade i might just wait a while for a price drop.

Check your connection, games fly down on my PS4 just as quick as Xbox, both are on wires though. I don't game with friends I'm a single player guy so even though I have live that was only because it came with Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Check your connection, games fly down on my PS4 just as quick as Xbox, both are on wires though. I don't game with friends I'm a single player guy so even though I have live that was only because it came with Gamepass.
    Same here. My PS4 downloads have been way quicker over the last 6 months or so

recyclops wrote: »
    But if both consoles are the same price and most of the games people play with friends are multi plat there really is no reason to move.

I don't really get the point here. There are very few cross plat multi-plat games so it would be best for a group of friends to have the same plat. If they're the same price, more people will buy the "better" brand i.e. PS
    if you have a one with game pass its a massive upgrade ( prob worth the price touted) if you have a one X its a good upgrade and will be a harder sell by MS

Oh I'm tied into gamepass for the next ~3 years so I'll have a xbox of some description (I can't do PS controller either) but I will wait a hell of a lot longer to upgrade my X than planned, if ever, if it comes in at rumoured price.

I don't really get the point here. There are very few cross plat multi-plat games so it would be best for a group of friends to have the same plat. If they're the same price, more people will buy the "better" brand i.e. PS

Oh I'm tied into gamepass for the next ~3 years so I'll have a xbox of some description (I can't do PS controller either) but I will wait a hell of a lot longer to upgrade my X than planned, if ever, if it comes in at rumoured price.

Yeah its hard to upgrade from X if not really sold on series X straight away.

in my ignorance i thought most of the big selling games are still cross platfrom for Online, the likes of cod, fortnite fifa etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

in my ignorance i thought most of the big selling games are still cross platfrom for Online, the likes of cod, fortnite fifa etc.

COD and Fortnite are. Not sure about FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Any word on Gears Tactics?

That would surely make a decent launch game for series x. I know all the pc players will have had it for months but would bolster the console launch line up some bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Most of the "big sellers", especially sports game, are purposely NOT crossplay enabled - mostly because Sony knows they have an advantage there and the capability of turning people towards their products because chances are, their friends and family already own a PS4 (it is one of the main reason I got a PS4 alongside the Xbox One - I was literally the only one on the Xbox platform).

Here's a list:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cross-platform-games-161546337.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMsQ0yN-NpLtWqXWv5WYImpgG08UR--1_Dstgqm8ftKiocJXDSnkajBbhecSXvTXAIlFlXRRtIdDB0-dG9XVQm5DUAckgq96msIX6bDuEXq4uCKeyQyASaDs9ogoKbO9s-5gDZoxKzFk2dS6JfuVuHncMU-1NYtSkvElul61ftAd&_guc_consent_skip=1597846147

You can bet whatever you want this will continue in the future - again, Sony has no logical reason to give up what it is one of their main advantages - captive audience.

When ya think about it that's a bit ****e from everyone involved considering we all know the tech is there.

I get why they don't lots of companies do ****e things and the consumer suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

When ya think about it that's a bit ****e from everyone involved considering we all know the tech is there.

I get why they don't lots of companies do ****e things and the consumer suffers.

Totally, but then again, the general public don't necessarily know nor care. They will just buy the easier option, what their friends have bought - the Playstation.

That's why we - in general as customers - absolutely NEED for MS to get their act together and avoid another "Playstation outsells Xbox 10:1" situation; If the "race" was much closer to 50/50 (even 60/40 would be good), these segregational commercial tactics will need to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm buying a Series X at launch (maybe an X and an S if they release both). But my hype for launch is a bit less since Halo was delayed. I have an Xbox One X that is doing a great job with my 4K tv.

As much as MS have gotten right with Gamepass, the power advantage, a great controller design and backwards compatibility, I can't see it being enough to turn the tide this coming generation. I'm sure they'll have a price advantage too. Even with the awful, tacky design of the PS5, it'll probably fly off the shelves..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Interesting. Doesn't look like it's got a disk drive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CatInABox wrote: »
    Interesting. Doesn't look like it's got a disk drive either.

Yeah, no disc drive.

Advertisement