Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Very weird call with Currys there. I was wondering if I could pay for something over the phone with a credit card or chamber of commerce card and they said no, but you can come in to the shop like normal. When I asked if they had any Series X's left or if any more were coming, they said they sold out of all the Series X preorders they had last week and are not getting it back in stock. Like, *ever*. Huh?

€200 but I would take less. I cannot sell it to CEX as I opened it up to install a SSD a year or so ago.
    It's hard to sell at the moment because there's so many for sale at the same time.

When the dust settles I think people will look at it objectively and see that for €200 a One X is still a very good buy and can provide a lot of enjoyment.

€200 for something that can run RDR2 at 4K30 is unreal when you think about it. And a lot of games from 2017-2020 are in the same boat.

But right now it's just a tough time to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Interesting, do you happen to remember which outlet the review was from? Wouldn't mind seeing if its the same issue as my own

Spent 35mins with microsoft support this morning, 25mins of that was me being on hold before they cut the call off :pac:

I'll try a reset tonight

it was a youtube review from engadget i think..let me root it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Picked up the Vemon battery packs for series x in Argos earlier.
    They fit the controller nice and snug and are USB-C charged.
    They fit a bit too tight though, as I can't get it back off! :D

Anyone else find the same, I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it in case I break it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Has anyone tried the Cold War glitch here?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Can I get call of duty modern warfare 2 for the xbox series s/x....I loved playing it back in the day but so far I have only seen the remastered version which is campaign only. Is there a version I can buy that includes online (don't care if it's remastered or not?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Did anyone who managed to get an order off smyths last friday night have any update on the delivery? I've a fastway (god help us) tracking number that is showing as no scans taken place. wonder if anyone else is in the same position?

Yes, An Post, it's in a sorting office according to the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

My smyths Xbox series x arrived , ordered 11pm Friday ..

Arrived today , excellent service

Thanks for the heads up again .

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Blazer wrote: »
    oh yeah I understand that.
    But you think the average xbox person is going to know that? Maybe in the states where they take their TV rooms seriously but over here in europe sure its grand quality :)
    if anyone was interested already in AV they'd have a dedicated blu-ray box and have their collection already.
    Anyone getting an xbox is definitely not thinking of blu-ray and more interested in the next gen games. If there was any increase it would likely be single digits.

Speak for yourself "sure, it's grand quality.":) You're trying to assume common Joe Soap casuals lack of interest in specific Xbox features negates those special-interest like Blu-Ray.

That's just not true in my case. I haven't owned a Blu-Ray player with a 4K output. I've never owned a 4K TV. So, Blu-Rays are appealing to me now that I own a Series X. Terminator 2 in 4K Blu-Ray looks great. So while I have Netflix, I'm beginning again to want to collect hard copies of classic films in 4K - not just for the visual fidelity but for the extras that come with it.

As for next-gen games. I'm excited to install RDR (2010) and see how it's enhanced for One X (didn't have one of those) and I know it outputs to 4K. I also wanted to see the graphical boost of RDR2 and play GTA IV at 60fps.

I also got to experience Skate 3 for the first time after really craving a good skating game. It was only possible because Game Pass Ultimate got EA Play November 10th.

The games are coming. With the amount of access to games now and with Game Pass, I don't know why people are so obsessed with only experiencing console exclusives or console launch exclusives. I can't finish a 10th of my backlog.

I'm having fantastic experiences playing games I hadn't been able to play and now can, also games playing and looking better and loading and loading faster. I got Watch Dogs: Legion but have been distracted by all the other games I mentioned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My smyths Xbox series x arrived , ordered 11pm Friday ..

Arrived today , excellent service

Thanks for the heads up again .

Cheers

I ordered same time but have had no update since then. Did you receive a has been dispatched email?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

dan786 wrote: »

is it a digital copy, last time there was a digi glitch on MS store they just prevented you playing the game when installed

it was watch dogs two from what I remember

recyclops wrote: »
    is it a digital copy, last time there was a digi glitch on MS store they just prevented you

it was watch dogs two from what I remember

Yes its digital and works. I have tried it and hundreds other on HUKD also.

I got 2 copies of it for £9.98 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yes its digital and works. I have tried it and hundreds other on HUKD also.

I got 2 copies of it for £9.98 total.

oh i don't doubt it works its how long the game runs on the console, watch dogs was accessible for around 2 days although tbf you only lose a tenner.

MS will for sure notice a heap of refunds for a game

recyclops wrote: »
    oh i don't doubt it works its how long the game runs on the console, watch dogs was accessible for around 2 days although tbf you only lose a tenner.

MS will for sure notice a heap of refunds for a game

Its their own fault for being greedy, having two different titles for it. They should have just had the same for One X and Series S/X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would say that price and customer protection is one of the main reasons why there hasn't been a shift to digital completely. I feel we will see it in the next generation of consoles but right now we are in between that and they are easing the consumers into it. Just look at what happened when gamestop became the major show in town how they inflated their prices.

Adding on to that is the fact that ownership is a big deal and any of the games you purchase through PSN or xbox live you dont own and have no way of getting to that media if they remove it and you havent got it saved.

I hope you will agree that on one level you are speaking from a privileged position and not all can just follow studios, price is a factor and second hand games even with 10-15 off is still appealing to allot of folk.

Its a romanticized idea that we have it so lucky and that in the past you couldnt get a decent game that lasted longer than 8 hours and you get such a bang for your buck now. From the 80's on we saw RPG's being made which would have had allot of hours into them but the major change and difference is the gaming market itself. It used to be more niche which meant that prices were allot higher or the market would have collapsed on itself.

Now you pay 70 euro and you might get a full game but you also might get a live service or some mechanism to claw back money from you at some point. The gaming market place is becoming increasingly anti-consumer so i can understand why people will keep away from digital if they can avoid it.

I agree that in one sense I'm speaking from a privileged position but it's been hard earned. I started following indie studios, for example, because I couldn't afford to keep up with the barrage of AAA titles and/or because they were the only games I could run on my laptop.

So if I in some way sound like Mr. Moneybags, I can assure you, I'm not. This year the stars have aligned and I'm in a position to radically update my home entertainment options and even build a PC for the first time. But that's been a pipe dream for nearly a decade.

I bought a Series S last week but that was my first ever Day 1 console in over three decades of gaming, and even that was the cheaper of the two released that day. It just so happens that when I buy a 'big' game, usually about once every 6 weeks or so, I can afford to buy digital and enjoy the convenience of having it on my drive, notwithstanding the very real concerns you've expressed about rights ownership etc.

Regarding my possible rose-tinted glasses. Well, that's a fair point. But I for one wasn't playing RPGs and getting dozens of hours out of a single playthrough. I was playing Mario and Sonic over and over for hundreds of hours and getting superb value from each game. But as I became more proficient the games lasted that little bit less and when I had to earn or work for them myself they felt a lot more expensive.

Being the age that I am and having seen this medium grow and develop the way it has, and how much it costs when compared to how expensive the cinema became, for example, I cannot be anything but utterly amazed at the value contained within a single purchase.

Cyberpunk is almost upon us and we'll all be enjoying a single playthrough of somewhere between 35 and 50 hours, for €70. As I mentioned previously, assessing things at an hourly rate is rather reductive but is nonetheless a useful way of determining value, especially for those that have to be really picky about what they buy. There are people who will buy Cyberpunk for €70, enjoy it non-stop for two or three weeks and then trade it into CeX for €45.

Maybe I am just a middle aged man with nostalgia on his mind, but if I am let me live up to the cliche and say that we didn't have that in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its their own fault for being greedy, having two different titles for it. They should have just had the same for One X and Series S/X

That's nothing to do with Microsoft that's Activision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I ordered from Smyths for a friend following the heads up in here. So another thanks for that and I just got a delivery from DPD.

The packaging was disgraceful from Smyths. Far too big and the air packets inside were deflated. God knows how much banging around the console got. The box 'looks' ok but that doesn't tell you anything.

The DPD driver was sound and was actually furious about it. Really cheap cardboard packaging that isn't fit for a kids toy let alone an expensive console.

No idea how to proceed. Console is not for me as I have one but I know it's a present that won't be tested until Xmas morning. I didn't want to refuse is or return it and not know if they'd have any more before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AskMeBollix

stesaurus wrote: »
    I ordered from Smyths for a friend following the heads up in here. So another thanks for that and I just got a delivery from DPD.

The packaging was disgraceful from Smyths. Far too big and the air packets inside were deflated. God knows how much banging around the console got. The box 'looks' ok but that doesn't tell you anything.

The DPD driver was sound and was actually furious about it. Really cheap cardboard packaging that isn't fit for a kids toy let alone an expensive console.

No idea how to proceed. Console is not for me as I have one but I know it's a present that won't be tested until Xmas morning. I didn't want to refuse is or return it and not know if they'd have any more before Xmas.

There is no moving parts that may be damaged like a hdd, the only moving parts are the fan and disc drive both of which I highly doubt sustained any damage

Did you order Friday night?

• Advertisement

Did you order Friday night?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the actual ms packaging is pretty good and padded, im sure it was fine.

Yup

Great. I have looked at some unboxing videos and the console is really well protected so it will be fine. I’m still bloody waiting, did you get a dispatch email?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Inspect the actual Xbox "box" for damage.

Its really well packed on the inside of the box. I don't think you'll have an issue at all. I've never seen a console packed so well.

Cyrus wrote: »
    the actual ms packaging is pretty good and padded, im sure it was fine.
    Inspect the actual Xbox "box" for damage.

Its really well packed on the inside of the box. I don't think you'll have an issue at all. I've never seen a console packed so well.

No massive damage outside but a few dints in the box so it took a few whacks. I'm just surprised at how little regard they have to packaging. Amazon are the opposite end of the spectrum.
    Great. I have looked at some unboxing videos and the console is really well protected so it will be fine. I’m still bloody waiting, did you get a dispatch email?
    Yes, pretty much straight away. 2am Saturday morning got a dispatch and then it updated first thing Monday with a delivery estimate. DPD on the ball I guess

No massive damage outside but a few dints in the box so it took a few whacks. I'm just surprised at how little regard they have to packaging. Amazon are the opposite end of the spectrum.

Here is an unboxing video right at the point the xbox "box" is opened. it will give you an idea of how well its protected.

https://youtu.be/q45wNfJ66R0?t=80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

I'm thinking I don't need a series X yet.
    One X is fine for me considering how much I actually use it.

If it arrives like this I think I'll refuse delivery. (I'm Smyths via An Post).
    Who's responsible if the product is damaged/lost/stolen during delivery or during return if I refuse delivery ?

I will take photo anyway. And return to Smyths myself if lockdown subsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

Hey_Listen wrote: »

Who's responsible if the product is damaged/lost/stolen during delivery or during return if I refuse delivery ?

You might be able to sell it which might be easier than returning it, waiting for a refund etc ? There are still quite a number of ppl looking for the Series X

I'd actually post that image onto their social media channels so they really address how badly packed your shipment was. An email or contact us form would just be brushed off.

https://twitter.com/SmythsToysIRE

https://www.facebook.com/smythstoys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hey_Listen wrote: »

Why would you do that? You can't really just refuse delivery ?

Would not offer it up to one the boardsies here who really want one?

Advertisement