Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jor-El

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    I'm thinking I don't need a series X yet.
    One X is fine for me considering how much I actually use it.

If it arrives like this I think I'll refuse delivery. (I'm Smyths via An Post).
    Who's responsible if the product is damaged/lost/stolen during delivery or during return if I refuse delivery ?

I will take photo anyway. And return to Smyths myself if lockdown subsides.

I'll take it off you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Jor-El wrote: »
    I'll take it off you please.

Ah, haven't decided yet to keep or return/sell. Plus need to get a decent price for my One X. Cause I don't want a one x and a series x.

If it's banged up, it's going back to the seller. Not going to sell it on.

Sorry for the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have an intermittent issue with the Series S and my LG C9. I will switch on the Series S and switch over to the HDMI source but the TV doesn't get a signal. I have to pull out and the reconnect the HDMI cable.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Try different HDMI port.
    Makesure xbox is up to date.
    Disconnect it from LG TV.
    Delete connection setting (HDMI source) for the XBox on the LG TV.
    Restart TV.
    Plug in xbox.

Had something similar with a blu ray player or xbox would not work on the hdmi port that the xbox had been originally connected.
    Had to delete that setting. Then retry, with different devices on different ports.

Or maybe you have 2 devices on at the same time connected to your TV.

Or maybe you have a dodgy HDMI cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's about an inch or two of foam around the console, a few ding on the box isn't going to damage it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Great. I have looked at some unboxing videos and the console is really well protected so it will be fine. I’m still bloody waiting, did you get a dispatch email?

Mine has finally shown up on fastways system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I have an intermittent issue with the Series S and my LG C9. I will switch on the Series S and switch over to the HDMI source but the TV doesn't get a signal. I have to pull out and the reconnect the HDMI cable.

Any suggestions?

What's the current software on your C9? I had this issue with my LG B9 / Series X and had to update the B9 software firmware to 5.00.02.

Try checking your model and update with USB

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

What's the current software on your C9? I had this issue with my LG B9 / Series X and had to update the B9 software firmware to 5.00.02.

Try checking your model and update with USB

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware

How are you finding the B9 with the Series X? Considering going for one in the Jan sales but the VRR issue is giving me second thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Same thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, if you want to buy xbox directly from MS, where do you go? I go to irish Microsoft website and it just throws me to US website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Guys, if you want to buy xbox directly from MS, where do you go? I go to irish Microsoft website and it just throws me to US website.

I think they put that in place due to there being no stock in Ireland, try the German or French store if you want to buy directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think they put that in place due to there being no stock in Ireland, try the German or French store if you want to buy directly.

I just want to have all places bookmarked. In case stock pops in. I have no faith in my Gamestop preorder. As it was in Store and in one of the closed ones now. I was told I won't get it on launch day, which is fine, just not sure they will even have it, before Xmas.

I just want to have all places bookmarked. In case stock pops in. I have no faith in my Gamestop preorder. As it was in Store and in one of the closed ones now. I was told I won't get it on launch day, which is fine, just not sure they will even have it, before Xmas.

I assume you have tried argos? Try other countries for microsoft, i had a preorder with them at one stage from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Watched the Digital Foundry review of the Series S there and it was a bit disheartening :(

I got one as a bit of a risk (cancelled a digital PS5) and I'm absolutely thrilled with it tbh. It's exactly what I'd hoped it to be - a way to play existing games with a controller at a good standard without sitting at my PC. I had a One S and a One X and this is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better for me. Switch it on, game (FAST), switch it off. If it goes unused by devs/microsoft because of the power limitations I'll be devestated.

Honestly even if they just worked on getting games that existed at the time of it's launch to run at 60fps upscaled 1440p (which surely all of them are capable of on this hardware?) that would be enough for me. Like I still haven't played through Dark Souls 3 and if I could that on this instead of PC/Series X/PS5 that would be perfect.

And whatever they've done to address latency, thank you! It's just so much more snappier, already breezing through levels/games I would have died on One machines.

Arrrgh, I really hope it sells buckets and Microsoft/devs are forced to cater for it, even if that means the X goes under utilised :D If not give the hardware to Nintendo imo, they could design absolute beasts on it.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Watched the Digital Foundry review of the Series S there and it was a bit disheartening :(

I got one as a bit of a risk (cancelled a digital PS5) and I'm absolutely thrilled with it tbh. It's exactly what I'd hoped it to be - a way to play existing games with a controller at a good standard without sitting at my PC. I had a One S and a One X and this is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better for me. Switch it on, game (FAST), switch it off. If it goes unused by devs/microsoft because of the power limitations I'll be devestated.

Honestly even if they just worked on getting games that existed at the time of it's launch to run at 60fps upscaled 1440p (which surely all of them are capable of on this hardware?) that would be enough for me. Like I still haven't played through Dark Souls 3 and if I could that on this instead of PC/Series X/PS5 that would be perfect.

And whatever they've done to address latency, thank you! It's just so much more snappier, already breezing through levels/games I would have died on One machines.

Arrrgh, I really hope it sells buckets and Microsoft/devs are forced to cater for it, even if that means the X goes under utilised :D If not give the hardware to Nintendo imo, they could design absolute beasts on it.

Microsoft will need to cater to both or they will need to pull out of the market all together, i cannot see them abandoning the series X though as if they do the PS5 digital and Sony will win.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Microsoft will need to cater to both or they will need to pull out of the market all together, i cannot see them abandoning the series X though as if they do the PS5 digital and Sony will win.

Yeah I really hope so, and Microsoft have been stellar so far in putting in this kind of work in so here's hoping. Just when Richard Leadbetter was fairly ominously talking about 'scalability' and something about devs already complaining...ah here, it's only out a week :eek: :D

Monolake wrote: »
    I agree that in one sense I'm speaking from a privileged position but it's been hard earned. I started following indie studios, for example, because I couldn't afford to keep up with the barrage of AAA titles and/or because they were the only games I could run on my laptop.

So if I in some way sound like Mr. Moneybags, I can assure you, I'm not. This year the stars have aligned and I'm in a position to radically update my home entertainment options and even build a PC for the first time. But that's been a pipe dream for nearly a decade.

I bought a Series S last week but that was my first ever Day 1 console in over three decades of gaming, and even that was the cheaper of the two released that day. It just so happens that when I buy a 'big' game, usually about once every 6 weeks or so, I can afford to buy digital and enjoy the convenience of having it on my drive, notwithstanding the very real concerns you've expressed about rights ownership etc.

Regarding my possible rose-tinted glasses. Well, that's a fair point. But I for one wasn't playing RPGs and getting dozens of hours out of a single playthrough. I was playing Mario and Sonic over and over for hundreds of hours and getting superb value from each game. But as I became more proficient the games lasted that little bit less and when I had to earn or work for them myself they felt a lot more expensive.

Being the age that I am and having seen this medium grow and develop the way it has, and how much it costs when compared to how expensive the cinema became, for example, I cannot be anything but utterly amazed at the value contained within a single purchase.

Cyberpunk is almost upon us and we'll all be enjoying a single playthrough of somewhere between 35 and 50 hours, for €70. As I mentioned previously, assessing things at an hourly rate is rather reductive but is nonetheless a useful way of determining value, especially for those that have to be really picky about what they buy. There are people who will buy Cyberpunk for €70, enjoy it non-stop for two or three weeks and then trade it into CeX for €45.

Maybe I am just a middle aged man with nostalgia on his mind, but if I am let me live up to the cliche and say that we didn't have that in my day.

Your lived experience is fine and its good to have an optimistic outlook on it but because not everyone sees it that way. I was just offering an alternative perspective and why people are cautious of a digital only market place or why people have high expectations for triple A games.

I don't think we will get another generation with a disk drive but there will be questions around what the new market place will look like.

Yeah I really hope so, and Microsoft have been stellar so far in putting in this kind of work in so here's hoping. Just when Richard Leadbetter was fairly ominously talking about 'scalability' and something about devs already complaining...ah here, it's only out a week :eek: :D

Take it with a pinch of salt the digital foundry boys can be fairly harsh at time due to the looking at it from purely a hardware perspective. Like if you only viewed things like that you would never buy the likes of a switch but its super popular.

The main thing will be game play and having fun and from your own assessment your loving it, so i think its already a success based on your opinion. Ill be honest for the most part the opinion of users is much more important in my mind than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭Goose81

I'm kind of the same man.

I bought the s and I love it so far but seeing as I'm one of the few with a TV to actually take advantage of the X (lg oled) I'm half wondering whether to sell it now and buy an X.

Feels like I'm kind of wasting the TV tbh considering it cost so much.

If it achieved 1440 in every game like pretty much promised I would be happy but it doesn't look like it will which is a big ball drop from Microsoft imo

...something about devs already complaining...

Ah nvm, he was talking about the One S :rolleyes:

I will say for anyone on the fence about upgrading to this gen, the difference to me is huge. Bizarrely despite it basically having PC hardware in it, I find it’s much closer to feeling like an actual ‘console’ of old. The speed to get up and gaming from a cold boot (I’d guess about 30 seconds in Doom Eternal honestly), it’s fairly mind blowing. Both companies seem to have gone in the right direction here imo, think they’re offering much more of an alternative to PC gaming rather than a diminished version. Just hope they keep a focus on that 60fps niceness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Goose81 wrote: »
    I'm kind of the same man.

I bought the s and I love it so far but seeing as I'm one of the few with a TV to actually take advantage of the X (lg oled) I'm half wondering whether to sell it now and buy an X.

Feels like I'm kind of wasting the TV tbh considering it cost so much.

If it achieved 1440 in every game like pretty much promised I would be happy but it doesn't look like it will which is a big ball drop from Microsoft imo

Why in the name of the Lord did you think the Series S was aimed at you, being an LG OLED owner who can do 4K 120Hz, best in class HDR colour reproduction, and VRR? :D You are destined for the Series X :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Out for delivery later today, woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Regarding the S, which I have, there seems to be a decent amount of criticism regarding the lack of 1440 despite it being advertised as such. But isn't it worth waiting to see games built for the S/X to see if they reach that 1440 because so far we're talking mainly about games built for a previous system. Or is this wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Regarding the S, which I have, there seems to be a decent amount of criticism regarding the lack of 1440 despite it being advertised as such. But isn't it worth waiting to see games built for the S/X to see if they reach that 1440 because so far we're talking mainly about games built for a previous system. Or is this wishful thinking

Wishful thinking really.
    As I called out a year ago 1440p is a not realistic target unless its a sub 30fps mode. Same goes for the Xbox series x where people were whooping over 120fps at 4k and I called bull**** on that. If a 500 euro video card is going to struggle with that then sure as hell a 500 euro console is not going to hit that.
    Now MS are saying 120fps is for simpler indie titles etc.
    Now I love my series X...its been a big boost in dayz over the one x I had but I had realistic expectations of what it could do before buying it.
    Even the series X has a dynamic resolution ranging from 1440p to 4k to maintain 60fps in next gen games going forward.
    So honestly I would be going for the X over the S if at all possible.
    Now developing games on the x86 platform is not that hard since its basically a pc platform which means adjustable resolution is the norm for it.
    So developers can easily cater for the S at a lower resolution than the series X..its not a big deal really. But as you go on you'll see the X version get not only better framerates and resolution but also higher quality textures as well.
    2 years time the S will look pretty crappy alongside the X in terms of quality/fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Out for delivery later today, woohoo!

Same, a lot of the excitement is gone now though thanks to amazons mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Very interesting video from Digital Foundry.

The S seems to be a really good shout for the money and will still appeal to alot of people who just don't buy into the 4K train.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭m8051

Lads, for those who bought any of the two consoles, how long is the warranty ? 1 or 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

I think we all need to temper our expectations about what both of these new boxes will be capable of in the years ahead.

The Series S was overhyped as a 1440p machine. That's simply not the case as Digital Foundry have shown. It's a cross-gen console that will provide access to the latest games but with reduced graphics and performance and that should become even more pronounced as the years roll on.

The Series X clearly has a lot more headroom but you will not be playing Cyberpunk in 4K at 120fps. I think there's a major misunderstanding amongst console players about what kind of machine is required to pump out brand new AAA games in native 4K at that level of performance.

I've read comments on here from people saying there's no point in buying a Series X unless you've a 120Hz TV. There's analysis online showing the RTX 3090 struggling to hit 4K 120fps with certain games. Let's get real here.

But I'm not complaining. I'm just so happy to see consoles back in the 60fps arena. The last gen's resolution war did my bloody head in, especially on the PS4 Pro. Upscaled 4K while the games ran like crap.

My layman's prediction is that this generation's sweet spot will be 1440p at a rock solid 60fps and upwards, i.e. the 'performance mode' that many of these games will offer and what the PS5 is offering right now with Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. It's been the sweet spot for PC gamers for the past few years as well. And all things considered that's a very positive development. Thankfully the Series X supports 1440p monitors, unlike the PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

m8051 wrote: »
    Lads, for those who bought any of the two consoles, how long is the warranty ? 1 or 2 years?

1 year is usually standard manufacturer's warranty but by Irish law you have a warranty with the retailer for the console to last 'a reasonable length of time' so you are better protected by EU and even more so by Irish law but retailers don't like to advertise that.

Plenty of small claims cases were won by people during the RROD and YLOD sagas with the PS360 consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The Halo:Master Chief Collection X|S patch is live for updating now

Advertisement