Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Monolake wrote: »
    My layman's prediction is that this generation's sweet spot will be 1440p at a rock solid 60fps and upwards, i.e. the 'performance mode' that many of these games will offer and what the PS5 is offering right now with Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. It's been the sweet spot for PC gamers for the past few years as well. And all things considered that's a very positive development. Thankfully the Series X supports 1440p monitors, unlike the PS5.

One thing I think people are not too aware of is the DLSS alternative from AMD:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-rx-6000-dlss-alternative/

On my PC DLSS can work magic imo. If the AMD alternative is as good, we can be running a game in 1440p 60 fps, and it will look like it basically 4K. Remember Series X has the full RDNA2 feature set, and the DLSS alternative will be coming out for PC sometime next year, so I assume the same for Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mine has finally arrived thanks to Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think we all need to temper our expectations about what both of these new boxes will be capable of in the years ahead.

The Series S was overhyped as a 1440p machine. That's simply not the case as Digital Foundry have shown. It's a cross-gen console that will provide access to the latest games but with reduced graphics and performance and that should become even more pronounced as the years roll on.

The Series X clearly has a lot more headroom but you will not be playing Cyberpunk in 4K at 120fps. I think there's a major misunderstanding amongst console players about what kind of machine is required to pump out brand new AAA games in native 4K at that level of performance.

I've read comments on here from people saying there's no point in buying a Series X unless you've a 120Hz TV. There's analysis online showing the RTX 3090 struggling to hit 4K 120fps with certain games. Let's get real here.

But I'm not complaining. I'm just so happy to see consoles back in the 60fps arena. The last gen's resolution war did my bloody head in, especially on the PS4 Pro. Upscaled 4K while the games ran like crap.

My layman's prediction is that this generation's sweet spot will be 1440p at a rock solid 60fps and upwards, i.e. the 'performance mode' that many of these games will offer and what the PS5 is offering right now with Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. It's been the sweet spot for PC gamers for the past few years as well. And all things considered that's a very positive development. Thankfully the Series X supports 1440p monitors, unlike the PS5.

Problem is a lot of the consolers buy into marketing hype from Microsoft and Sony and don't realize the sheer cost it requires to hit 120fps at 4k.
    Hell PC gamers have been chasing that holy grail for years now.
    My last system was about 2.5k , that's 5 times the cost of a series X and it still didn't hit 120fps at 4k in some titles. So a 500 hundred euro console is never going to hit it for triple A games.
    But hey 1440p is damn fine sweet spot and I'd be happy with a consistent 60fps across the board for the series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I think we all need to temper our expectations about what both of these new boxes will be capable of in the years ahead.

The Series S was overhyped as a 1440p machine. That's simply not the case as Digital Foundry have shown. It's a cross-gen console that will provide access to the latest games but with reduced graphics and performance and that should become even more pronounced as the years roll on.

The Series X clearly has a lot more headroom but you will not be playing Cyberpunk in 4K at 120fps. I think there's a major misunderstanding amongst console players about what kind of machine is required to pump out brand new AAA games in native 4K at that level of performance.

I've read comments on here from people saying there's no point in buying a Series X unless you've a 120Hz TV. There's analysis online showing the RTX 3090 struggling to hit 4K 120fps with certain games. Let's get real here.

But I'm not complaining. I'm just so happy to see consoles back in the 60fps arena. The last gen's resolution war did my bloody head in, especially on the PS4 Pro. Upscaled 4K while the games ran like crap.

I read a few bits about Gears 5 multiplayer and a couple of parts of a couple of titles hitting 120 fps. Then looked at TVs and decided for the amount of games that will support it its a waste of time upgrading.

I have a 2 year old Samsung 4k tv that is more than capable, not OLED but still a lovely picture. For me the jump from 30 to a smooth 60 fps is hugely noticeable and a big upgrade.

Id much rather this gen focus on 4k 60fps that it can actually manage rather than over promising and under delivering trying to make these machines output high fidelity at 120fps and getting sub par performance as a result. Both companies could manage their messaging better though cos according to the packaging we should be expecting 8k at some stage and or 120 fps which is not in the realms of reality at all

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jor-El

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jor-El wrote: »

Mmm, I'd be sceptical of that site as it's an Italian site I don't know and how can you guarantee those delivery dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

Well, I’m returning my Series X today, completely tanked on Sunday after maybe 4 hours of play and refuses to turn on, the button is like an old broken doorbell, time of death pronounced. I will just have to opt for a refund as a replacement is a slim chance given the high demand.

Well, I’m returning my Series X today, completely tanked on Sunday after maybe 4 hours of play and refuses to turn on, the button is like an old broken doorbell, time of death pronounced. I will just have to opt for a refund as a replacement is a slim chance given the high demand.

Ah that's terrible.

Did you contact Microsoft about it? They may have contingency stock for issues like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Mine arrived from Smyths, well packaged with padded bags around the Xbox package. No issues. An Post delivery. Now to sell my one x.

m8051 wrote: »
    Lads, for those who bought any of the two consoles, how long is the warranty ? 1 or 2 years?
    I believe if you log into to Microsoft it'll show your warranty as 2 years from the date you powered on the machine and logged in.

As mentioned above you can fight your case in the small-claims beyond the 2 years and probably get satisfaction. I don't know what a reasonable length of time for a €500 piece of consumer electronics is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 iloctus

Have done a complete flip, wanted a ps5 for Xmas but decided on a series X instead.. gamepass and EA onboard, Bethesda games more likely to be on Xbox and already being in the ecosystem makes me feel Xbox is a better system for me.

As someone with no pre-order would Smyth's be the best bet does anyone know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TheJockster

iloctus wrote: »
    Have done a complete flip, wanted a ps5 for Xmas but decided on a series X instead.. gamepass and EA onboard, Bethesda games more likely to be on Xbox and already being in the ecosystem makes me feel Xbox is a better system for me.

As someone with no pre-order would Smyth's be the best bet does anyone know. Thanks

If you check checkargos.com each day in the stores that close just as they shut you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If you check checkargos.com each day in the stores that close just as they shut you might be lucky.

Fairly sure that's dead these days?

hots wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be working at all....

iloctus wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be working at all....

yeah its hit and miss, wasnt working this morning but was working at lunch so its a hope for the best try LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah that's terrible.

Did you contact Microsoft about it? They may have contingency stock for issues like this?

I didn’t bother even though I think you could be right. My fear is that the same hardware issue would belong to the next console, the broken one was manufactured on the 18th of August. This was a last minute reservation with Argos too so I don’t think there’ll be replacements haha.

I didn’t bother even though I think you could be right. My fear is that the same hardware issue would belong to the next console, the broken one was manufactured on the 18th of August. This was a last minute reservation with Argos too so I don’t think there’ll be replacements haha.
    Whether a replacement unit has the same issue is outside your control. So I wouldn't worry about it or even think about it.

If you want a console, i'm sure Argos would reserve one for you. They'd probably prefer that versus giving you a refund.

Alternatively you send it to Microsoft under the normal RMA procedure. You'd be waiting a few weeks but you'll get a console.

If you are really paranoid about hardware issues then just get a refund and wait 6 months because that's how long it takes before lessons learned from launch units are incorporated into a minor hardware revision. That's not much fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Have an x box series s pre order in argos there if anyone needs it

Anyone hear from Gamestop about wave 2 yet? Contacted them but got no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It works if you click on Advanced> Continue

WitnessMeNow got it back working recently due to popular demand;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115218455&postcount=1690
    Checkargos is back online if anyone wants to give it a try.

It's had a few bells and whistles removed, but basic stock checking should be working. Let me know if you run into any issues.

At the moment it only supports product IDs. Search is working locally for me, but is not working when deployed on the server, need to figure out what is different. (The request to argos is blocked, but it's not like they have the server banned, it's a new server and other requests work)

Another thing that has changed is the possibility of being available for online order as well as collection, that is new! I've added support for that

The code is now open source if anyone wants to take a look. Word of warning, it is an absolute mess. It was fairly thrown together at parts at the time, and that was 5 or 6 years ago with minimum maintenance. Also a lot of stuff was hacked off it as they stopped working, so not ideal.

For the first time since I first wrote checkargos 10 years ago, I have updated the stock checking code! The old one would still work ok, but I found an easier endpoint for finding it out.

I would expect to see some teething issues for the first few days so just let me know if something is up and I'll see what I can do

Ordered, December 5th delivery, curious to see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Apocalypse Dude

Ok some available on littlewoods now!!! Go go go!!!

You absolute legend! I'd given up checking there because I just kept getting that 'stock coming soon' page :D

UPDATE: All Gone now on Littlewoods

Anyone hear from Gamestop about wave 2 yet? Contacted them but got no reply.

I've given up on them, can't get a full refund (only store credit for the trade in) so I'm going to try and get one myself in the meantime and sell the gamestop one on whenever it arrives. It's not the waiting that's annoying, it's the lack of any communication whatsoever.

Also thanks btw! Missed that in my last post :o

UPDATE: All Gone now on Littlewoods

Looks like the system accepted my order too. 5th Dec order date. Thanks for pointing it out man, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't think the 1440p will be relevant to the vast majority of series S users because they'll be using it on a 1080p HDTV rather than a monitor

I'd prefer higher framerates on 1080 than slightly higher resolution on a smaller screen anyway

It's definitely not a console wide problem as that would be widely reported both here and everywhere else.

Unfortunately with tech you can sometimes get a dud component etc, which doesn't mean it's a complete system problem.

I would definitely get onto MS support and see what they say. they may send you back to Argos but they might be able to help you too.

I wouldn't give up seeing as you wanted the console in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I've given up on them, can't get a full refund (only store credit for the trade in) so I'm going to try and get one myself in the meantime and sell the gamestop one on whenever it arrives. It's not the waiting that's annoying, it's the lack of any communication whatsoever.

They're getting hammered on social media for not responding to queries and it's only going to get worse with the PS5 launch. Rightly so they should be addressing peoples queries rather than posting crap, I know its different teams that are doing it but even a general update on social media would appease some of the anger directed at them.

I had heard of UK stores expecting a restock at the end of NOV / start of Dec but nothing confirmed.

It's very frustrating having put a deposit down in September to be left waiting with no communication when loads of people have been able to order and get one in the past week.

Advertisement