Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Mucashinto wrote: »
    How hard is it for devs to go back and patch these games - say to get RDR2 to run at 1440/60 on the S - do you think?

Is it a big job of redoing/retesting the whole game or can they just change some values in an xml/config file somewhere?

I don't think it's that difficult but at the same time, I doubt they'd do it, especially for the likes of Red Dead 2. I bet Rockstar would want to charge for a 'remaster' on PS5, Series X and Series S if they did any upgrades.

I think the main body of work comes with the extensive testing they have to do if they change that stuff, plus then getting it certified by Microsoft (which comes with a cost I believe).

How hard is it for devs to go back and patch these games - say to get RDR2 to run at 1440/60 on the S - do you think?

Is it a big job of redoing/retesting the whole game or can they just change some values in an xml/config file somewhere?
    It depends on the game & engine. Some games are heavily tied to being 30fps - animations and physics etc - and things go wonky if you try to run them faster. With other games its not much more than changing a few values.

Whether games get patched or not comes down to the will of the developers. Some don't care about old games or don't feel it's worth the effort. Obviously the first-party titles are far more likely to get the treatment.

What is potentially interesting is MS back-compat team stepping in (where devs show no interest) and patching games to 60fps. This is a type of voodoo because they're fooling around with game code on the fly. We have seen Fallout 4 as one example, they have shown it running at 60fps (not available to the public yet). We have to wait and see how common this becomes.

1440p@60fps from Xbox studio developers should be expected and to see they're not hitting it straight out of the starting blocks can only be considered a failure. There is a huge market to be tapped here and seriously what is the point of this console at all if it can't do that.

MCC, 2 gen old games can only get 1080p. Its poor by any standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The S is a €300 console.

Peoples expectations are insane.

The S in combination with Game Pass is legendary.
    As we move further into this gen the S gets better with its hardware being fully utilised in game development.

Ya'll want Air force 1 service after paying for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

1440p@60fps from Xbox studio developers should be expected and to see they're not hitting it straight out of the starting blocks can only be considered a failure. There is a huge market to be tapped here and seriously what is the point of this console at all if it can't do that.

MCC, 2 gen old games can only get 1080p. Its poor by any standards.

No it can't be expected. Not from a €299 console.
    Haven't you been playing attention to earlier comments.
    Do you know what it costs to have a video card that's capable of hitting that?
    I'll give you a hint...its far dearer than the console.
    This is totally Microsoft's and Sony's fault in claiming 120fps at 4k on a €300-500 console.
    Take a look at the link I posted..this card would give you that level of performance for current games at 4k.
    Do you honestly think a console nearer 3 times cheaper is going to give you the same performance? Not a chance in hell.
    Consoler's need to educate themselves on hardware and the jargon so as not to be sucked into believing manufacturer's claims.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-pro-oc-11264mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04b-pl.html

• Advertisement

1080p@60 was One X performance mode. Again, what is the point in this console at all if they can't improve on that and on 360 era games. Its poor and in no way unrealistic expectations.

They are marketing this as a 1440p 120hz console. Its on the box ffs. People shouldn't have to "educate themselves".

Honestly if I could walk back into the shop and hand it back and demand a refund due to false advertising I would.

1080p@60 was One X performance mode. Again, what is the point in this console at all if they can't improve on that and on 360 era games. Its poor and in no way unrealistic expectations.

They are marketing this as a 1440p 120hz console. Its on the box ffs. People shouldn't have to "educate themselves".

Honestly if I could walk back into the shop and hand it back and demand a refund due to false advertising I would.

its like broadband companies...note the "upto" parts.
    This is why Pc gamers spend a grand on a video card etc so we can get this performance.
    If Microsoft suddenly launched a console in the morning at a grand no one bar the hard core fans would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really think you should give it time and lets see what happens with games as developers update everything.

Reviews of the console have been solid and even Digital Foundry were enthusistic about it.

I think people get too wrapped up in specs and ignore how the machine is.

Are you not enjoyinig faster load times and quick resume as one example?

Blazer wrote: »
    its like broadband companies...note the "upto" parts.
    This is why Pc gamers spend a grand on a video card etc so we can get this performance.
    If Microsoft suddenly launched a console in the morning at a grand no one bar the hard core fans would buy it.
    Its not equivalent to a PC setup. There are huge savings for bulk manufacturing and the chips have been customised. They also manufacture the consoles at a loss.

t might be PC gamers (which i am one btw as well as console) need to educate themselves on console gaming. 1080p "next gen" gaming, for a console gamer, is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Almost no games were able to hit 60FPS in that performance mode. Simple indie games and multiplayer shooters were pretty much the limit for 60FPS. Just because the framerate is unlocked to 60 doesn’t mean it could hit it. Take Jedi Fallen order for example - the performance mode of 1080p/60 hit around 40fps with dips.

• Advertisement

Its not equivalent to a PC setup. There are huge savings for bulk manufacturing and the chips have been customised. They also manufacture the consoles at a loss.

t might be PC gamers (which i am one btw as well as console) need to educate themselves on console gaming. 1080p "next gen" gaming, for a console gamer, is laughable.

sorry man but everyone knew the series S was a big step below the series X.
    If you honestly expected 60fps at 4k out of a 300 euro box its sheer delusional.
    The maths simply do not add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Llamd3

Anyone have a code for a series x please????

Llamd3 wrote: »
    Anyone have a code for a series x please????

Did you check the other thread? There’s an unwanted thread within the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

The S is a €300 console.

And the digital PS5 is only €400...
    If you honestly expected 60fps at 4k out of a 300 euro box its sheer delusional.

I'm not sure anyone has said they expected this? However, getting 900p 30fps on Read Dead Redemption...well, that means I can't play this game on this machine. I really did not expect that. And it really is an awful waste.

Again it's early days, but that's why when first party games don't come out swinging it's worrying. They should be a showcase for what's possible. So yeah, hoping there's mitigating factors, covid etc, that are causing this and it improves.

I thought that this gen would see Sony off to a fast start and then after a couple of years Microsoft would start to shine but honestly it seems far too similar to the last gen for my liking. Microsoft are just overstretched, trying to do too many things outside of create an actual generational defined console to differentiate themselves and are missing multiple targets. I don't think the Series X will be immune to this either. I fully expect DF to continue their review policy of "surprisingly the Sony machine beats the more powerful Microsoft machine here" without ever accepting this isn't actually a surprise. The devs can build to defined specs and push limits there.

1080p "next gen" gaming, for a console gamer, is laughable.
    Series S is a cut-down version of Series X

If you're trying to cut it down and save money there are only a few directions you can go. Would you prefer if the system ran games at 4K 15fps ?

There is nothing laughable about 1080p, many people still have 1080p TVs. Or they've got a 4K TV in the living room and moved their old 1080p set to another room. And this is a large part of who Series S is aimed at.

Your problem is that you expected a console that was cheaper than Series X but somehow had the exact same performance. Just not a realistic expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The Series S with Game Pass is a winner. It's the ideal console for casual gamers.

Series S is a cut-down version of Series X

If you're trying to cut it down and save money there are only a few directions you can go. Would you prefer if the system ran games at 4K 15fps ?

There is nothing laughable about 1080p, many people still have 1080p TVs. Or they've got a 4K TV in the living room and moved their old 1080p set to another room. And this is a large part of who Series S is aimed at.

Your problem is that you expected a console that was cheaper than Series X but somehow had the exact same performance. Just not a realistic expectation.
    Em not sure where you're getting that from, its not what I said at all.

I expect 1440p@60fps from first party titles. Absolutely, no apologies and no i am not an uneducated moron with unrealistic expectations.

3rd party, absolutely id expect them not to bother aiming to hit xbox studio targets and to do whatever they like with their own game.

Forza Horizon 4 absolutely no question of a doubt anything less than 1440p@60fps is an utter failure for this console.

I'm beyond patience with xbox and Microsoft. This lets wait and see, lots of potential, it will come, the games will come. At this stage I'd rather buy a base PS4, disconnect from the internet and just get stuck into playing the sh!t ton of quality games I missed out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

And the digital PS5 is only €400...

€100 in computer components is a lot

if the S was €400 it would be a lot more powerful
    but then again it would lose sales

the whole idea of the €300 price point is to target people (probably mainly parents with young kids) who are for the most part casual gamers that turn on a pay cod or whatever once a week and dont give a rats arse about 1440p/4k 60/120fps
    they just want to press a button and play

as especially for a parent €300 is a lot better that €400 or €500

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

I too want my Xbox Series S to be more powerful than a €1500 gaming PC. Also it needs to have a cup holder. Come on Micro$oft, you'll never beat Sony at this stage.

sorry man but everyone knew the series S was a big step below the series X.
    The maths simply do not add up.

Sorry but thats not what I said. I expect nothing more than what we were told. 1440p next gen gaming. Simple. Ha jokes on me only a dope would fall for that. Right ok, I'll take my money back thank you very much.

There are a multitude of interviews where they hyped this as a series X running at 1440p. But the maths don't add up people cried. Oh we don't care about console sales, we'll take a loss. All we want is your Game Pass subscription. Oh smart people said. Its win win for everyone.

And now after taking my money the narrative has completely changed. Oh silly Mr Grumble, go educate yourself. This is just a silly little device for Mommys and Daddys so their kids can play Roblox and Lego games.

• Advertisement

Sorry but thats not what I said. I expect nothing more than what we were told. 1440p next gen gaming. Simple. Ha jokes on me only a dope would fall for that. Right ok, I'll take my money back thank you very much.

Sorry man don't mean to be disrespectful. But you're a pc gamer. You should have know that the box wasn't capable of it.
    But then again I've called out a lot of things over the years on the xbox /playstation and get shouted down by the fanbois who refuse to believe MS/Sony are basically lying through their teeth when they claim these figures.
    Hell just 3 months ago when they unveiled both machines I straight up said no way would these consoles maintain a 120fps at 4k resolution and I was basically set upon. Some of those console fanbois as most are ****in clueless.

Sorry man don't mean to be disrespectful. But you're a pc gamer. You should have know that the box wasn't capable of it.
    But then again I've called out a lot of things over the years on the xbox /playstation and get shouted down by the fanbois who refuse to believe MS/Sony are basically lying through their teeth when they claim these figures.
    Hell just 3 months ago when they unveiled both machines I straight up said no way would these consoles maintain a 120fps at 4k resolution and I was basically set upon. Some of those console fanbois as most are ****in clueless.
    I guess where I'm coming from here is I really don't have the tolerance for another generation of B.S xbox "potential" that never materialises.

This isn't even my console, its the kids. I'm still waiting for my GS wave 2 Series X. Series X will not be immune from the bullsh!t you can be sure of that.

I'm seriously wondering if I can change my mind and swap my preorsr to a PS5. Don't mind waiting. PS5 players are like whatever, I'm playing spiderman, God of War, Bloodbourne and Horizon Zero dawn. I couldn't give a sh!t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I guess where I'm coming from here is I really don't have the tolerance for another generation of B.S xbox "potential" that never materialises.

This isn't even my console, its the kids. I'm still waiting for my GS wave 2 Series X. Series X will not be immune from the bullsh!t you can be sure of that.

I'm seriously wondering if I can change my mind and swap my preorsr to a PS5. Don't mind waiting. PS5 players are like whatever, I'm playing spiderman, God of War, Bloodbourne and Horizon Zero dawn. I couldn't give a sh!t!!

the ps5 and the series x are basically the same machine spec wise, why is the ps5 more palatable?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I understand the disappointment. Having skipped the previous gen altogether I am not sure I like the direction the consoles seem to be heading in. Consoles used to be about a constant quality experience - even if not always met, but the previous gen introduced performance and quality tiers and fragmentation. It seems it takes a sX to finally be able to fully enjoy most of the XO library, as confirmed by numerous YT reviews. Fine for me, as I am going to enjoy playing the older titles on GPU for now, but I can see why many complain. Having to find out "how it will run on my hardware" used to be a PC thing. But hey, PS5 has 8K advertised on its retail packaging and does not offer that resolution even in the dashboard settings, so it seems that specs nowadays have a different meaning than in the past and the 1440p 60k target for sS was just a marketing talk that ignorant gamers need to learn to interpret first.

Cyrus wrote: »
    the ps5 and the series x are basically the same machine spec wise, why is the ps5 more palatable?

It delivers quality games. Its delivering them now, day one straight out the door.

I understand the disappointment. Having skipped the previous gen altogether I am not sure I like the direction the consoles seem to be heading in. Consoles used to be about a constant quality experience - even if not always met, but the previous gen introduced performance and quality tiers and fragmentation. It seems it takes a sX to finally be able to fully enjoy most of the XO library, as confirmed by numerous YT reviews. Fine for me, as I am going to enjoy playing the older titles on GPU for now, but I can see why many complain. Having to find out "how it will run on my hardware" used to be a PC thing. But hey, PS5 has 8K advertised on its retail packaging and does not offer that resolution even in the dashboard settings, so it seems that specs nowadays have a different meaning than in the past and the 1440p 60k target for sS was just a marketing talk that ignorant gamers need to learn to interpret first.
    People need to stop calling people ignorant and uneducated. Xbox/Microsoft deserve to be criticised. And to be honest, a 2nd generation of disappointment should be fatal. Game Pass is smart business decision. But its a model based on a regular supply of mediocrity. With a cleverly calculated distance between each release to just about hang onto subs. But whereas I can sit through a sh!t Netflix movie if I've nothing better to do, gaming is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mediocrity? Doesn't sound like you use Gamespass.
    Criticise by all means, but be factual about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It delivers quality games. Its delivering them now, day one straight out the door.

What games?

Miles Morales is a PS4 game too.

Demon Souls is the only one and even that's a remake.

This game and "exclusive" argument is really annoying and tiresome.

There's loads of games on the Xbox now. Gears Tactics, Gears 5, Yakuza, The Falconeer, Valhalla & Watchdogs , Ori. All with Series X/S releases.

Even Halo Master Chief got upgraded yesterday.

Either way I didn't get the series X for this week or month. I got it for the features it has, Gamepass and the benefits it brings to those games.

Exclusives and other games will come in time as MS's studios start delivering,

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

https://gaming.ebaumsworld.com/articles/how-to-brick-your-brand-new-ps5/86448152/ seems a rough day one to me, only heard after watching a youtuber reviewing both consoles and saying he was afraid to play new spiderman game as few of his friends consoles had bricked with that game and others. Imagine being afraid to play a game incase it bricks your console.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Exclusives and other games will come in time as MS's studios start delivering,
    Keep on waiting. I'm getting old, I want games now.

Game pass deserves praise but let me try to explain what I mean by mediocrity. Xbox game studios is now equivalent to Netflix Originals. Its a model which is carefully calculated to keep people subscribed, they do that by churning out "good enough" content.

The promise of Xbox studios coming g out with top quality games all on game pass is a long term goal at best. And haven't I just been criticised for believing the hype? The reality is, they will have financial goals to meet and the way they will meet that is with a steady flow of "just about good enough at just the right frequency" releases. Or a model based on mediocrity.

There is nothing to suggest their 1st party titles are turning a corner. Halo Infinite would have been cancelled at this stage only it would have been a death blow to them.

Advertisement