Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

pcadhain wrote: »
    I too want my Xbox Series S to be more powerful than a €1500 gaming PC. Also it needs to have a cup holder. Come on Micro$oft, you'll never beat Sony at this stage.

Rubbish there is nothing next generation about the Series S I mean it looks all pixelated.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 iloctus

I guess where I'm coming from here is I really don't have the tolerance for another generation of B.S xbox "potential" that never materialises.

This isn't even my console, its the kids. I'm still waiting for my GS wave 2 Series X. Series X will not be immune from the bullsh!t you can be sure of that.

I'm seriously wondering if I can change my mind and swap my preorsr to a PS5. Don't mind waiting. PS5 players are like whatever, I'm playing spiderman, God of War, Bloodbourne and Horizon Zero dawn. I couldn't give a sh!t!!

😂😂 That's on you for listening to the hype. Should have known better. If you think Sony is different youre in for a ride awakening. None of the games listed are interesting to me, and that's from someone who had a pre-order for the ps5.

Do your research, wait and see, never be an early adopter and adjust your expectations.

iloctus wrote: »
    😂😂 That's on you for listening to the hype. Should have known better. If you think Sony is different youre in for a ride awakening. None of the games listed are interesting to me, and that's from someone who had a pre-order for the ps5.

Do your research, wait and see, never be an early adopter and adjust your expectations.
    I'm actually going to pick up a PS4. Plenty of games to keep me entertained there. Just some good quality gaming and no need to justify my purchase with tech specs.

I'm actually going to pick up a PS4. Plenty of games to keep me entertained there. Just some good quality gaming and no need to justify my purchase with tech specs.

Good for you.

Keep on waiting. I'm getting old, I want games now.

Game pass deserves praise but let me try to explain what I mean by mediocrity. Xbox game studios is now equivalent to Netflix Originals. Its a model which is carefully calculated to keep people subscribed, they do that by churning out "good enough" content.

The promise of Xbox studios coming g out with top quality games all on game pass is a long term goal at best. And haven't I just been criticised for believing the hype? The reality is, they will have financial goals to meet and the way they will meet that is with a steady flow of "just about good enough at just the right frequency" releases. Or a model based on mediocrity.

There is nothing to suggest their 1st party titles are turning a corner. Halo Infinite would have been cancelled at this stage only it would have been a death blow to them.

You sound like a hardcore series gamer I just like to dip in and out of generations but the Xbox is good enough for me.
    I like platform games racing games a bit of shooting and FIFA.

Consoles I have owned
    Atari 2600
    Sega Master System
    Sega Mega Drive
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast

Super Nintendo
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Gamecube
    Nintendo Wii
    Nintendo Wii U
    Nintendo Switch

Sony PlayStation
    Playstation 2
    Playstation 3
    Playstation 4 base model

Xbox
    Xbox 360 red ring of death model
    Xbox 360 slim
    XBONE
    Xbox One S

Now I wanted the Series X but instead of wait until the end of the year or next year I opted for a Series S and I am really enjoying it.

Now I do fully accept your Netflix analogy but the Xbox platform with Gamepass is good enough for me.

1440P at 4k unrealistic hype? yes

For €299 is it a good deal I would say yes and it is by far the most powerful console I have owned to this point the XBONE was €499 back at launch.

• Advertisement

Series S will outsell the X by a good margin. Casuals don't care about resolutions etc... They just want the latest games in their HD TVs. For 299 with gamepass... It's an incredible deal.

murpho999 wrote: »
    What games?

Miles Morales is a PS4 game too.

Demon Souls is the only one.

This game and "exclusive" argument is really annoying and tiresome.

There's loads of games on the Xbox now. Gears Tactics, Gears 5, Yakuza, The Falconeer, Valhalla & Watchdogs , Ori. All with Series X/S releases.

Even Halo Master Chief got upgraded yesterday.

Either way I didn't get the series X for this week or month. I got it for the features it has, Gamepass and the benefits it brings to those games.

Exclusives and other games will come in time as MS's studios start delivering,

Agree with you can not stand the fanboy stuff myself I have owned many different consoles over the years but the Playstation 5 just look meh to me for what's on it.

That Spiderman thing looks rubbish all those superhero games are in my opinion.

What really made up my mind to go Xbox this generation was Flight Simulator and it is delayed until 2021 at some point.:D
    Halo also delayed.

However those two games will be on Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Anyword on how Harvey Norman Xbox pre-orders went at launch time.

Did people with pre-orders recieve their Xbox orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Keep on waiting. I'm getting old, I want games now.

Game pass deserves praise but let me try to explain what I mean by mediocrity. Xbox game studios is now equivalent to Netflix Originals. Its a model which is carefully calculated to keep people subscribed, they do that by churning out "good enough" content.

The promise of Xbox studios coming g out with top quality games all on game pass is a long term goal at best. And haven't I just been criticised for believing the hype? The reality is, they will have financial goals to meet and the way they will meet that is with a steady flow of "just about good enough at just the right frequency" releases. Or a model based on mediocrity.

There is nothing to suggest their 1st party titles are turning a corner. Halo Infinite would have been cancelled at this stage only it would have been a death blow to them.

No disrespect meant but I genuinely think you're talking absolute sh1te and just letting off steam as a PC gamer (see what I did there!).

There's loads of top quality games on Gamepass and thanks to it I'm discovering more games than I'd normally play.

Also, titles like Witcher 3, arguably the greatest game of the last generation is there. For free.

And yes both Netflix and Game Pass release content to keep subscrbers subscribed. Otherwise there would be nothing to subscribe for.
    That's how subscription models work.
    The level of quality is a matter of personal taste and judgement but both Netflix and Game Pass have high quality content.

With every new generation it takes time for the library to fulfil. No different to Sony have one new exclusive PS5 game to their name.

In the meantime just enjoy ether the 3rd party X/S games that are there if you want to buy them now or make use of the extensive back catalogue that play great on the new consoles and in time you will see Microsoft release a slew of their own games.

Agree with you can not stand the fanboy stuff myself I have owned many different consoles over the years but the Playstation 5 just look meh to me for what's on it.

That Spiderman thing looks rubbish all those superhero games are in my opinion.

What really made up my mind to go Xbox this generation was Flight Simulator and it is delayed until 2021 at some point.:D
    Halo also delayed.

However those two games will be on Gamepass.

Exactly!!!

This is how I justified my purchase... You pay 500 euro for a series X and you get access to EA and MS games. Let's say each game is 50 euro that you would otherwise have to pay... So ten games on game pass your Xbox has already paid for itself.

These aren't **** games either. Proper AAA games. And more and more companies will put their games on it and there's Bethesdas games.

No brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Cyrus wrote: »
    the ps5 and the series x are basically the same machine spec wise, why is the ps5 more palatable?

No they are not. The are similar but certainly not basically the same. People still have not realised that comparing the consoles now is absolutely pointless. What is happening now is people are looking at games developed for the PS4 and Xbox One and expecting them to be 100 times better on PS5 and Series X. The only reason some of the last generation of games are running slightly better on the PS5 at the moment is because Sony did nothing to the architecture on the PS5 compared to the PS4. Developers have said even back when the first test kits were released, that the PS5 is very easy to develop for because its basically a PS4 but just more powerful.

Microsoft have a completely different architecture in velocity and one that will take a little longer to get to grips with but the hardware doesn't lie. I fully believe that Series X will come into its own, but its going to take at least 12 months. Look back to the PS3. It was an absolute nightmare to develop for and took years to get to grips with but it still sold 88 million units.

If anyone is on the fence right now about whether to upgrade yet or not, I would say you really don't have a need to right now. You might be better waiting until mid 2021 or later when we have the first real games that had velocity architecture in mind and can make use of the hardware in the Series X. Its a joke that both Microsoft and Sony had no real launch titles for their new gen of hardware but in fairness 2020 has been a shocking year and many development studios have had to push release dates out.

Series S will outsell the X by a good margin. Casuals don't care about resolutions etc... They just want the latest games in their HD TVs. For 299 with gamepass... It's an incredible deal.

I am a casual I do enjoy a First Person Shooter played on easy.:D

Some of the players online with those games are incredible I would not have the fast reflexes to pull of those headshots from distance in an instant.:D

The Graphics on Series S look really nice the frame rates are good and loading times are so fast.

I have no doubt the PS5 and the Series X are the cool kids on the block but I guess I just want to play the game.

It delivers quality games. Its delivering them now, day one straight out the door.

What games? We have PS4 games running on PS5 and we have a remake in Demon Souls... Hardly quality straight out of the door?

Microsoft are no better with Gears Tactics etc but your argument has little truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Exactly!!!

This is how I justified my purchase... You pay 500 euro for a series X and you get access to EA and MS games. Let's say each game is 50 euro that you would otherwise have to pay... So ten games on game pass your Xbox has already paid for itself.

These aren't **** games either. Proper AAA games. And more and more companies will put their games on it and there's Bethesdas games.

No brainer.

You seem to be forgetting to factor in the cost of gamepass itself there, it's not like the 500 for Series X gives you eternal access to gamepass :D Yes, I know Gamepass can currently be had very cheap (I have 3 years of it stacked myself), but the Gamepass cost still has to factor in.

I'm not denying it's a great value service however, I mean I bought a Series X for it myself.

Yes, as I have said, you can easily wait 12 months before needing to move to a Series X or PS5. It is going to take time for developers to catch up given 2020.

rm212 wrote: »
    You seem to be forgetting to factor in the cost of gamepass itself there, it's not like the 500 for Series X gives you eternal access to gamepass :D Yes, I know Gamepass can currently be had very cheap (I have 3 years of it stacked myself), but the Gamepass cost still has to factor in.

I'm not denying it's a great value service however, I mean I bought a Series X for it myself.

Yeah that's true. Still peanuts!!! Lol. Have MS said they are gonna raise game prices yet? The price for demon souls is effing ridiculous... Complete turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Anyword on how Harvey Norman Xbox pre-orders went at launch time.

Did people with pre-orders recieve their Xbox orders?

I got one after cancelling the order in sept and was refunded

Still turned up on day after the release day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Really? I don't even see the S as next gen. Maybe if coming from the One S but I see no reason to go from a One X to a SS - especially so with no new games at present

theteal wrote: »
    Really? I don't even see the S as next gen. Maybe if coming from the One S but I see no reason to go from a One X to a SS - especially so with no new games at present

In fairness Microsoft has given people a choice and if you have a One X well a Series X would be the obvious next step.

I ordered a Series X got an email saying the end of December so I canceled and got the Series S and yes I had the One S and this is a big bump up for me.

I am not sorry I am enjoying playing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

It'll come in time. It's not really a just comparison right now as base Xbox One games don't have patches for the Series S and "next gen" games aren't really available and making use of its feature set

It's not really a black/white thing. The One X is technically more powerful from a GPU perspective but the Series S has way faster loading times, supports newer graphical features and also has way, way better framerate potential.

Again though, it'll take a while before all this becomes more obvious. Studios have to issue patches for existing games, new games have to come to market.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    It'll come in time. It's not really a just comparison right now as base Xbox One games don't have patches for the Series S and "next gen" games aren't really available and making use of its feature set

It's not really a black/white thing. The One X is technically more powerful from a GPU perspective but the Series S has way faster loading times, supports newer graphical features and also has way, way better framerate potential.

Again though, it'll take a while before all this becomes more obvious. Studios have to issue patches for existing games, new games have to come to market.
    :D

072P10DdUKKYYMKUWbFPDPN-1..1599833507.jpg

adult-gaming.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Actually, those pics spark a query. What's the new D-pad like?

It reminds me of the one on 360 controller which I was not a fan of, the edges were really sharp iirc.

I have a reservation for the last Series S in Argos Tallaght until the end of tomorrow if anybody wants it.

Actually, those pics spark a query. What's the new D-pad like?

It reminds me of the one on 360 controller which I was not a fan of, the edges were really sharp iirc.

The new pad is really good very comfy.

I got one after cancelling the order in sept and was refunded

Still turned up on day after the release day

Be careful if you open it you might be getting a bill the turkey might not be the only one getting stuffed for Christmas.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I have a reservation for the last Series S in Argos Tallaght until the end of tomorrow if anybody wants it.

I'd b be grateful for it. Young lad had asked Santa for a Series X but I missed the pre-order. Waiting in a queue with gamestop and no v guarantee. This could get me out of a hole 😜

I'd b be grateful for it. Young lad had asked Santa for a Series X but I missed the pre-order. Waiting in a queue with gamestop and no v guarantee. This could get me out of a hole ��

Sent you a PM and before anybody judges this booking was for a friend who changed their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Sent you a PM and before anybody judges this booking was for a friend who changed their mind.

Much obliged. Is there much chance of the X becoming available before Christmas at all?
    I'll be picking this up as backup in case the X comes available. Last year of Santa here, so hoping to make good on Santa's list.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Braytek

Anyone know what times argos or smyths would update if nee stock arrive. Don't wanna be checking every 5 minutes for stock

• Advertisement

Much obliged. Is there much chance of the X becoming available before Christmas at all?
    I'll be picking this up as backup in case the X comes available. Last year of Santa here, so hoping to make good on Santa's list.

When I booked that for the friend a few hours ago I checked every single Argos for the Series X nothing the Series S which had a good bit of stock are becoming rare even Microsoft will only deliver the S for the end of December.

Unless you get very lucky this is like trying to find hand sanitiser and toilet roll back in March.:D

I got and S myself because I did not want to wait until the end of the year.

Advertisement