Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

The consoles use the same GPU and CPU. It's Sony in bed with the producers of Dark Souls 3 to make the PS version better. So yes it is a conspiracy.

Get the tinfoil hats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Get the tinfoil hats out.

Do you really think the PS5 is more powerful than the Series X? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I personally don't care, which is more powerful, as they both pretty much at same level as much as I see it. So multiplatform games should have very little differences in them, specially when we talking about old gen games adapted for new Gen.

I did not wanted to start a war here, its just I personally was disappointed as I really wanted to play DS3 60fps when I eventually get my series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭quokula

The consoles use the same GPU and CPU. It's Sony in bed with the producers of Dark Souls 3 to make the PS version better. So yes it is a conspiracy.

Neither console existed when the game was developed. It hasn't been patched or updated. It's not a conspiracy, it's just how the game happened to be set up on Ps4 and Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

murpho999 wrote: »
    People are really scarred by that aren't they? 14-15 years later and people think MS haven't learnt from it?

Fortunately I have double checked my Series X and there's definitely no red lights or rings so it definitely can't happen.

Wasn’t meaning Rrod but the similar mess

A 500 console that ****s itself when asked to run a game that isn’t a 360 backwards compatible is quite concerning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

A 500 console that ****s itself when asked to run a game that isn’t a 360 backwards compatible is quite concerning

I hear if you touch a ps5 off a series x they explode.. scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I am a peasant with no series X yet, but I fired up my xbox one X now, as I cant play on my laptop for good few days, and noticed Dark Souls 3 on sale. Picked up DS1 remastered as its 60fps now, but I just found out Dark Souls 3 is 60fps on PS5 and locked 30 fps on series X! I call some bull**** on this. Kind of wanted to pick up DS3 now on sale and play whenever ill get Series X, but now I am a bit annoyed.

Some conspiracy deal with Sony?

I might have my cancelled one coming from Amazon, not 100% but I’ll give you first dibs on it. The only issue is I’m in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AskMeBollix

Gary kk wrote: »
    I hear if you touch a ps5 off a series x they explode.. scary stuff

It only happens if you're watching twitch on each console

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Technically no but it is much easier to develop for and that will play a big role for the next 12 months. We are already seeing it at the moment. While Series X is ahead by 5-15FPS on most of the modes in Devil May Cry, the Series X is considerably behind PS5 on 120FPS mode with the Series X dropping to 75-85FPS in some scenes. PS5 holds above 100FPS all of the time.

It is the same for Assassins Creed Valhalla (a game that has been heavily advertised on TV to play on the Series S/X consoles), the PS5 is up to 15% better than the Series X with both Microsoft consoles showing a bottle neck somewhere.

Now most of us know that this is down the the games being primarily developed for the last generation of consoles and because the PS5 is an evolution of the PS4, it is much easier to get last generation games working on the PS5. We wont see the supposed advantages of the Series X for another 12 months I reckon but right now given the AWFUL "launch" games that we have available on both consoles, the PS5 is more than holding its own and in some cases is beating the Series X.

Just how damaging Microsoft's change of architecture (innovation) will be for its first year remains to be seen but it is clear that developers in 2020 have not had the chance to get to grips with Series X yet due to limitations of staffing and money. The new generation could not have launched at a worse time, a time when given the games we have available, we didn't actually need the Series X or PS5. We could have easily waited until Q2/Q3 2021.

Oh and to add, Valhalla is a typical buggy mess, like most Ubisoft games on launch and it is agreed that the game needs ALOT of work to run smoothly on Series X and PS5. It was rushed out the door, likely under pressure from Sony and Microsoft to have something new to play.

I worry for Cyberpunk aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

quokula wrote: »
    Neither console existed when the game was developed. It hasn't been patched or updated. It's not a conspiracy, it's just how the game happened to be set up on Ps4 and Xbox One.

I was about to say this. Surely the 30fps locked is linked to the Xbox One base console.

It's not that the Series X can't do 60fps, it's that the base game isn't built for anything other than 30fps.

We know the base Xbox One struggled at times when PS4 didnt, so obviously a decision was taken way back when, to limit the Xbox version to 30fps to avoid hitching or screen tearing or whatever.

So until/unless there's a patch, nothing can be done.

This issue is coming up an awful lot, people expecting old Xbox One games to instantly run at 60fps on the Series S or X.

Until developers issue patches, games can only run at the highest level they could as base games, in terms of frame-rate and resolution.

Inevitably that means tons of games will run at 900p 30fps levels unless patches are issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

ZiabR wrote: »
    It was rushed out the door, likely under pressure from Sony and Microsoft to have something new to play.

I don't think Sony would rush any third party that they have no deal with out the door, especially when they have a very good first party lineup of their own.

It'd definitely be Microsoft if one of them pressured them, they have a big marketing deal with Ubisoft for Valhalla and it was the only big, mainstream AAA launch game for Series X (not including updates to older games etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Homelander wrote: »
    This issue is coming up an awful lot, people expecting old Xbox One games to instantly run at 60fps on the Series S or X.

Well Phil Spencer can take a lot of the blame for that IMO. Xbox One games will run natively taking advantage of the increased compute power automatically he said. Very soft on mentioning this would only have a noticeable effect if the code allowed it. The trendy t-shirted swine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes a a €500 console imagine that? That's a normal price for a console.

Also just because it's €500 does not mean it's immune from faults or bugs within its own systems or also bugs that may be in the games its runs.

You do realise it could be a problem wth the game?

Either way stuff like this happens with new consoles and will get resolved. Does not mean it's a system wide problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

ZiabR wrote: »
    Technically no but it is much easier to develop for and that will play a big role for the next 12 months. We are already seeing it at the moment. While Series X is ahead by 5-15FPS on most of the modes in Devil May Cry, the Series X is considerably behind PS5 on 120FPS mode with the Series X dropping to 75-85FPS in some scenes. PS5 holds above 100FPS all of the time.

It is the same for Assassins Creed Valhalla (a game that has been heavily advertised on TV to play on the Series S/X consoles), the PS5 is up to 15% better than the Series X with both Microsoft consoles showing a bottle neck somewhere.

Now most of us know that this is down the the games being primarily developed for the last generation of consoles and because the PS5 is an evolution of the PS4, it is much easier to get last generation games working on the PS5. We wont see the supposed advantages of the Series X for another 12 months I reckon but right now given the AWFUL "launch" games that we have available on both consoles, the PS5 is more than holding its own and in some cases is beating the Series X.

Just how damaging Microsoft's change of architecture (innovation) will be for its first year remains to be seen but it is clear that developers in 2020 have not had the chance to get to grips with Series X yet due to limitations of staffing and money. The new generation could not have launched at a worse time, a time when given the games we have available, we didn't actually need the Series X or PS5. We could have easily waited until Q2/Q3 2021.

Oh and to add, Valhalla is a typical buggy mess, like most Ubisoft games on launch and it is agreed that the game needs ALOT of work to run smoothly on Series X and PS5. It was rushed out the door, likely under pressure from Sony and Microsoft to have something new to play.

I worry for Cyberpunk aswell...

Completely agree with this, I do love my Series X as in terms of efficiency around the menus and the quick resume is amazing.

Games are definitely way behind maximising what the console can achieve I believe, I do think it was a funding issue but the likes of EA not having their games ready for Series X Optimisation at launch, they've no excuse in my opinion, they had plenty of time to adapt as the console was announced some time ago. I'm sure COVID Didn't help.

The other massive issue with games which continues to be an issue is servers, any game I play always has connectivity issues at launch specifically, it takes the fun out of online gaming. The new COD is a prime example.

It's fantastic that the HW is there in the X, hopefully the game developers can get up to speed :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

rm212 wrote: »
    I don't think Sony would rush any third party that they have no deal with out the door, especially when they have a very good first party lineup of their own.

It'd definitely be Microsoft if one of them pressured them, they have a big marketing deal with Ubisoft for Valhalla and it was the only big, mainstream AAA launch game for Series X (not including updates to older games etc).

Ubisoft is large enough that nobody is going to force them to release anything. Fact is that Ubisoft are known for releasing games that are unfinished, and then fixing them in the next few weeks/months. Nothing has changed here.

I'm pretty sure that they just didn't focus on the Series versions enough yet, the camera hitches during cutscenes while it's got a locked 60fps show this. To be honest, it makes sense from their point of view. As successful at turning around the Xbox platform as MS has been, they're still way behind from a consumer viewpoint. There's more games sold on PS, and quite frankly, there's going to be more PS5s sold than Xbox Series (although that may change if the S takes off in a year or two). With a limited time window, why wouldn't they focus on the more popular platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

So no word from Gamestop on the order yet and Littlewoods order expected date has gone from 5th December to 23rd December...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

hots wrote: »
    So no word from Gamestop on the order yet and Littlewoods order expected date has gone from 5th December to 23rd December...

I got an email from them yesterday with a gift card to order my series x but I got one from microsoft already

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Same. However the date on the website is still tracking as 5th. 23rd is awful close to xmas morning, so saying i'm a tad worried about it is an understatement. Might be an idea to ring and ask them about it?

Original Delivery Date: 5 December, 2020
    This parcel contains
    Item Number: Xbox Series X BLACK ONE SIZE, Quantity 1
    Latest tracking information
    18 November, 2020 18:23:54 Order being processed at supplier
    18 November, 2020 18:11:47 Order received by our supplier

Thats what its saying on my orders....

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes a a €500 console imagine that? That's a normal price for a console.

Also just because it's €500 does not mean it's immune from faults or bugs within its own systems or also bugs that may be in the games its runs.

You do realise it could be a problem wth the game?

Either way stuff like this happens with new consoles and will get resolved. Does not mean it's a system wide problem.

Hopefully you are right. Yes I’m aware of the risk buying launch day items. I did for the pro and 1x and was lucky to experience no issues with either

Likely that I am over reacting

• Advertisement

spark1976 wrote: »
    Original Delivery Date: 5 December, 2020
    This parcel contains
    Item Number: Xbox Series X BLACK ONE SIZE, Quantity 1
    Latest tracking information
    18 November, 2020 18:23:54 Order being processed at supplier
    18 November, 2020 18:11:47 Order received by our supplier

Thats what its saying on my orders....

Yeah exact same here. I gave them a call yesterday as I was still waiting for my confirmation mail. I might give them another buzz later.

Yeah exact same here. I gave them a call yesterday as I was still waiting for my confirmation mail. I might give them another buzz later.

Its looking iffy i have to say....let me know how your call goes.

i'm too impatient so i decided to give them a call. They said that the 5th date is just an estimate and the 23rd date is more likely to be the date we get the console... but...with it so close to xmas i wouldnt trust them one bit.

So there you have it. you can sit and wait and hope to god it comes, cos if it doesnt' come on that date, you wont be playing with it at xmas.

Doesn't give us alot of room to move really. Tricky one.

spark1976 wrote: »
    i'm too impatient so i decided to give them a call. They said that the 5th date is just an estimate and the 23rd date is more likely to be the date we get the console... but...with it so close to xmas i wouldnt trust them one bit.

So there you have it. you can sit and wait and hope to god it comes, cos if it doesnt' come on that date, you wont be playing with it at xmas.

Doesn't give us alot of room to move really. Tricky one.

Still better than Gamestop :pac: at least they answer the phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Still better than Gamestop :pac: at least they answer the phones!

I am in the 2nd wave come end of this month with them well they said end of November just not what year tho......those crafty people at gamestop

RGARDINR wrote: »
    I am in the 2nd wave come end of this month with them well they said end of November just not what year tho......those crafty people at gamestop

Ha at least you've got half a commitment from them, that's better than I've managed!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ubisoft is large enough that nobody is going to force them to release anything. Fact is that Ubisoft are known for releasing games that are unfinished, and then fixing them in the next few weeks/months. Nothing has changed here.

I'm pretty sure that they just didn't focus on the Series versions enough yet, the camera hitches during cutscenes while it's got a locked 60fps show this. To be honest, it makes sense from their point of view. As successful at turning around the Xbox platform as MS has been, they're still way behind from a consumer viewpoint. There's more games sold on PS, and quite frankly, there's going to be more PS5s sold than Xbox Series (although that may change if the S takes off in a year or two). With a limited time window, why wouldn't they focus on the more popular platform?

I agree, which is why I said "if anyone pressured them" it would be Microsoft (they may have some grounds to do so due to the marketing deal which say money change hands, but I'd still say unlikely), but I'm absolutely certain Sony didn't pressure them to release it sooner, there's no reason, need or grounds for Sony to do that. Ubisoft's track record of buggy releases means there's no reason to assume it's outside of them, themselves, rushing it out. I imagine the late arriving dev tools for Series X probably means they put less work into the Series X/S versions too, due to time constraints.

The camera hitching is very noticeable, I immediately say it when starting the game in the initial cutscenes on XSX and it was very jarring on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

RGARDINR wrote: »

They are telling me the end of November/start of December so very vague, obviously they just don't know when/if or how much stock they will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Clearly you didn't read what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

rm212 wrote: »
    Ubisoft's track record of buggy releases means there's no reason to assume it's outside of them, themselves, rushing it out. I imagine the late arriving dev tools for Series X probably means they put less work into the Series X/S versions too, due to time constraints.

Something that is going to damage the Series X/S early on. The performance difference between Series X and PS5 is really noticeable. PS5 offers 60FPS with higher resolutions 95% of the time over the Series X. Series X has to drop to lower resolutions and in some cases its dropping as low as 47FPS. Imagine Digital Foundry said that dropping to 1440p on Series X isn't low enough in some scenes in order to keep FPS higher. They think it needs to drop below 1440p... Ubisoft need to get their act together and sort these performance issues out. If I'm honest I don't think Valhalla even looks all that good graphicly.

The blame lies with the developer and as Digital Foundry said, the game needs alot of work on both consoles. The problem is, the vast majority of people will look at comparisons of last gen games and buy a PS5 because its performing better than Series X even though there are valid technical explanations for the shortfalls in performance. Microsoft have got to be pissed right now...

Advertisement