Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

These would have been the price points I would have been expecting. The 299 price point does make it very appealing as a 2nd console for the kids. I'll definitely be taking the plunge for the X but can see the S being under the Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Looks like a smaller SSD too. Was it rumoured a whole ago that you could store 'next gen' games on an external harddrive and then transfer them to the SSD to play them? I think all previous gen games can be run from an external harddrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

if you can game share on top of this then a household with kids with an x and s seems like a massive win especially as its a digi only console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Looks like a smaller SSD too. Was it rumoured a whole ago that you could store 'next gen' games on an external harddrive and then transfer them to the SSD to play them? I think all previous gen games can be run from an external harddrive

Yes, that's right on both counts, Xbox One games play from any drive, Series S/X must be played from the SSD, but can be stored anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Looks like I'll add the Series S to the Series X preorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Looks like I'll add the Series S to the Series X preorder.

I'm guessing that pre-order should be up soon? I did a quick check and still couldn't see anything on the normal sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

Looks like a great console. Great design. Great price. Probably great specs.
    This + Game Pass will win a lot of people/parents over.
    I think MS have a lot of bases covered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I would imagine people who are getting a ps5 will also get this down the line for gamepass and the odd exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually expected discless xbox to be same power as X series. Not a budget version of next gen, not saying its q bad thing. I have not used physical discs on my xbox since i got X.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

I'm guessing that pre-order should be up soon? I did a quick check and still couldn't see anything on the normal sites.

I just have money down in Gamestop already for the X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I wonder what they’d give for a Xbox one x trade in.

The S seems like a great way to experience Xbox exclusives if you're not willing to fully commit to paying for the X.

Definitely will be pre ordering, would be great to see some new IPs from Xbox next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I wonder what they’d give for a Xbox one x trade in.

GameStop currently give base €220 credit, upto €253 at level 4.

I would expect a deal for €300 trade with 2 games off their list for the Series S/X at the current rate, but would expect that to drop to €200-€250 considering the price of the Series S.

GameStop appear to no longer be accepting One S consoles for trade, no listings for used consoles on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭djan

Think I will go for the S given the performance its offering, I find the difference between 4k and 1440p (heck even well upscaled 1080p) on a TV to look pretty similair.

I wonder how the 500GB will do with games as that could be used up very quickly with games like RDR2 etc nearing 100GB.

djan wrote: »
    Think I will go for the S given the performance its offering, I find the difference between 4k and 1440p (heck even well upscaled 1080p) on a TV to look pretty similair.

I wonder how the 500GB will do with games as that could be used up very quickly with games like RDR2 etc nearing 100GB.

For this price point I think it's a small tradeoff to be honest. It might get harder to put up with as the next gen progresses and we see bigger innovations in open world games but should be a good driver for a couple of years at least.

Good entry point. Games, saves etc will all transition seemlessly to the series x anyway if you do upgrade. Plus there will probably be a cheaper/quieter/better iteration of series x in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

GameStop currently give base €220 credit, upto €253 at level 4.

I would expect a deal for €300 trade with 2 games off their list for the Series S/X at the current rate, but would expect that to drop to €200-€250 considering the price of the Series S.

GameStop appear to no longer be accepting One S consoles for trade, no listings for used consoles on the website.
    There cex they give you €150 for xbox 1 s 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

rob808 wrote: »
    There cex they give you €150 for xbox 1 s 1TB.

And €144 for the 500gb.

Will be trading in an S for the Series X and keeping my X.

The One S is currently only used as a 4k media player, got it for €125 so might trade now while it still has some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you are going to hook this up to a 1080p TV, then is there any advantage to getting the Series X? I haven't bought physical media since the 360 days, so lack of a drive is not an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The X will be 4x more powerful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Hyzepher wrote: »
    well the xbox series s only 4tflop on RDNA 2 which put it in the same power level as xbox one x

The big different is the SSD and the zen 2 processor making it better at doing 4k 30fps than the xbox one x.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jester77 wrote: »
    If you are going to hook this up to a 1080p TV, then is there any advantage to getting the Series X? I haven't bought physical media since the 360 days, so lack of a drive is not an issue.

There’s more to graphics than resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There are 2 xboxes in the house, my one X and daughters one S, which is pretty much our netflix box now.

I won't be trading in my one X. I bet when everyone will start bringing in those back, the value will plummet. So I will aother replace one S in living room with One X and put Series X in bedroom. Or just going to put away in to attack my One X, with Phat Ps3, Ps4. I know in years they will be bricks as they depend on online infrastructure, but it will be fun to dig out in attick my old consoles, even if they are as useful as door stops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

rob808 wrote: »
    well the xbox series s only 4tflop on RDNA 2 which put it in the same power level as xbox one x

The big different is the SSD and the zen 2 processor making it better at doing 4k 30fps than the xbox one x.

I was referencing the Series X compared to Series S

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I’m getting the Series X because I want the best TBH

Hyzepher wrote: »

The X will be X times more powerful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

ps5 and series s will be a popular combo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

I’m getting the Series X because I want the best TBH

Same here, for the sake of a couple of hundred extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

ill wait and hope gamestop do one of those nice trade deals down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

If MS can make xCloud work flawlessly do you really need a series X? An xCloud app on the series S and your golden.

Advertisement