Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Astro A50 base station connects to a console via optical cable on Xbox One. There was an update recently that now delivers sound over USB to the base station. The headset then connects wirelessly to the base station.

Ah thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Wouldn't USB be the way now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Wouldn't USB be the way now though?

It works by usb after a firmware update. Word of warning though, it appears the firmware update is causing issues with people reporting that it is leaving the optical output non functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Astro A50 base station connects to a console via optical cable on Xbox One. There was an update recently that now delivers sound over USB to the base station. The headset then connects wirelessly to the base station.

Thanks TG :)
    Yep, same as my Lucidsound Ls30s :)

What about using the optical output on the TV? Most TVs from the last 6 years have them.

Cheers, yeah TV has optical as does my soundbar set up but been reading issues with the Astro A50 firmware so just want to check everything before I purchase a new set of headphones :)
    It works by usb after a firmware update. Word of warning though, it appears the firmware update is causing issues with people reporting that it is leaving the optical output non functional.

Thanks SS :) Thats what I am worried about. Maybe better to hold off and see what comes up with firmware updates or new headsets optimised for the new hardware setups.

Had 9X SteelSeries on the one X but they were crackling and refunded early this year. Not a whole lot of choice for wireless other than the Astro A50 as I have had tor have the others.but I've a few decent wired with those to keep me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

amadablam wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah TV has optical as does my soundbar set up but been reading issues with the Astro A50 firmware so just want to check everything before I purchase a new set of headphones :)

Thanks SS :) Thats what I am worried about. Maybe better to hold off and see what comes up with firmware updates or new headsets optimised for the new hardware setups.

Had 9X SteelSeries on the one X but they were crackling and refunded early this year. Not a whole lot of choice for wireless other than the Astro A50 as I have had tor have the others.but I've a few decent wired with those to keep me going.

Indeed, due to the Xbox security there are far fewer options than for PS platforms.

I use an Astro Mix Amp with my One, this is an older model that isn't getting a firmware update so am looking at options myself. Leaning towards the Arctis 7x as I have a pair of the original Arctis 7 and find them extremely comfortable with my glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

One of the biggest issue for me is car sounds in Horizan series. They sound so flat compared to circuit Forza games. And for petrol head like me, car sound is a big part of driving.

To each their own but within the racing game community the car sounds in Forza are a running joke. Check out Asseto Corsa Competizione, which to be fair is an actual racing simulation, for the best in the business.

ACC is a hot mess on console (although the X and S have notched the frame rate up to a near constant 60) but the sound is the one thing that made the switch over from PC unscathed. And it is glorious.

ACC should never have been ported over to console because the PS4 and One simply weren't capable of running it. However despite the bugs it's still leagues above Forza Motorsport 7 and GT Sport in sound and feel (with a racing wheel, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monolake wrote: »
    To each their own but within the racing game community the car sounds in Forza are a running joke. Check out Asseto Corsa Competizione, which to be fair is an actual racing simulation, for the best in the business.

ACC is a hot mess on console (although the X and S have notched the frame rate up to a near constant 60) but the sound is the one thing that made the switch over from PC unscathed. And it is glorious.

ACC should never have been ported over to console because the PS4 and One simply weren't capable of running it. However despite the bugs it's still leagues above Forza Motorsport 7 and GT Sport in sound and feel (with a racing wheel, of course).

I played AC before. I have G29 steering wheel and wheel stand. Havent used in ages though. It was always good.
    Ironically, for me, the best sound was in Need for Speed Shift 2, it was not great racer and barely worked with wheel, but the sound cars made were fantastic. Not just engine noises, but tyres, diffs, transmissions etc.
    Still, Forza 7 had way better sounds, then FH4. I am really happy they decided to go with proper Forza and not Horizon game for next instalment. I just hope people won't take my rant as me ****ting on FH4, its still a very fun game in its own way. Clarkson meme fits perfect here: "This is brilliant, but I like this more" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

I played AC before. I have G29 steering wheel and wheel stand. Havent used in ages though. It was always good.
    Ironically, for me, the best sound was in Need for Speed Shift 2, it was not great racer and barely worked with wheel, but the sound cars made were fantastic. Not just engine noises, but tyres, diffs, transmissions etc.
    Still, Forza 7 had way better sounds, then FH4. I am really happy they decided to go with proper Forza and not Horizon game for next instalment. I just hope people won't take my rant as me ****ting on FH4, its still a very fun game in its own way. Clarkson meme fits perfect here: "This is brilliant, but I like this more" :D

Well the two Forza series are made by different developers so who knows, maybe FH5 is also in the works right (I think it's safe to assume that it is). Although Playground, the Horizon developer, are currently working on the new Fable game. Perhaps they're working on both or maybe FH7 is being shifted on to another company.

I'm like you. I much prefer circuit racing over the open world stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

Hey guys. Wondering can I pick yer brains for two seconds? When Argos launched the X Box, when did people get notifyed by their email sign up that it was going live. Thanks in advance :)

Just wondering if any of you have brought a series X into CEX under current level 5 restrictions?

How does it work? Not really a fan of the place to be honest but it's a bit mental they are giving 600 too

Opened mine a few days ago as couldn't wait for Christmas :D but prefer my PC these days and have my One X anyway so thinking of dropping it to Cex but not sure how things are under the current restrictions.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Just wondering if any of you have brought a series X into CEX under current level 5 restrictions?

How does it work? Not really a fan of the place to be honest

Opened mine a few days ago as couldn't wait for Christmas :D but prefer my PC these days and have my One X anyway so thinking of dropping it to Cex but not sure how things are under the current restrictions.

Thanks.

Download the app, set up account and banking details, decide what you want to sell, you get a number, drop off at CEX when open , 11-2 , or maybe regular hours after Monday. Get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

There are reports recently that we may actually see a new Horizon game before the next Forza game... :)

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Download the app, set up account and banking details, decide what you want to sell, you get a number, drop off at CEX when open , 11-2 , or maybe regular hours after Monday. Get paid.

Thanks dude. I'll do that, cheers. Hopefully it's safe enough with the bank details.
    Appreciate the quick reply.

Thanks dude. I'll do that, cheers. Hopefully it's safe enough with the bank details.

Have sold One x there recently. No issue. Yep, I hear you re bank details. It's either that or CEX vouchers payment :)

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Have sold One x there recently. No issue. Yep, I hear you re bank details. It's either that or CEX vouchers payment :)

Also, makesure you've picked the cash to bank option and not accidentally picked voucher option.

Saz2020 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Wondering can I pick yer brains for two seconds? When Argos launched the X Box, when did people get notifyed by their email sign up that it was going live. Thanks in advance :)

Not that I know of.

Apparently the next shipment of Series X's is December 11th in Argos, and Series S's are the 18th. Stock usually goes live at 4am (I think). Somewhere around those dates you should see them coming in again.

Why wouldn't it be safe enough with your bank details?

They're not going to steal from you.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be safe enough with your bank details?

They're not going to steal from you.

Didn't think they were and didn't say that anywhere.

I asked about bank details as I'm not sure how secure it is to leave bank account details on their website, which is why I asked the question to someone who had used them before.

Appreciate your kind words of reassurance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Monolake wrote: »
    Thanks. The market certainly has changed.

To your second point, I bought an S because I found myself without a gaming platform. The S was cheap, met my needs and was in stock.

I'm not immune to hype. I woke up on the release day of the PS5 absolutely determined to be playing Demon's Souls that night. But as soon as I tasted the ****storm I forgot about it.

I was also guardian to a young child during the Wii shortage so I know this game inside out. And the obsessive drive that I'm seeing now, particularly surrounding the PS5, is entirely reminiscent of desperate parents. Hence my curiosity.

Indeed i bought one and i know of a family member who bought one for their children. Not saying that kids playing it are in the minority but these consoles are serious business in terms of entertainment now and the demographic most targeted is older.

My family members kids would spend a fraction of what i would spend on the life cycle of a console.

The main thing for allot of people is that this will be one of the main entertainment systems in their houses and they may go on and buy a new tv ect to go along with it at some point. With expectations this generation will last another 5-7 years its getting in on it early before your shelling out more.

I suppose its a sign of success of the whole form of entertainment that so many are interested in them.

Didn't think they were and didn't say that anywhere.

I asked about bank details as I'm not sure how secure it is to leave bank account details on their website, which is why I asked the question to someone who had used them before.

Appreciate your kind words of reassurance though.

Ok, but why wouldn't it be safe to give a reputable company your bank details ?

I'm sure they have security measures in place but how how would anybody here know?

• Advertisement

Re cex drop and go

I have a membership card from CEX from before which I had to enter the number from when setting up drop and go ... so you might still have to go into them to show proof of address

From tomorrow shops will be back to normal so it should be simpler then eg set up account ; get paid onto credit card if you go back after a few hours when they finish testing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

9 Series X in Smyths Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fallonben

1 in Limerick too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Looks like smyths stopped the click and collect, so if you see stock you cannot do anything online, you will need to go to the store to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

nava wrote: »
    Looks like smyths stopped the click and collect, so if you see stock you cannot do anything online, you will need to go to the store to buy it.

Showing 11 in Limerick Parkway and 1 in Waterford

redt0m wrote: »
    Showing 11 in Limerick Parkway and 1 in Waterford

Yes but you cannot book them, they all have button greyed out saying "This store not available for C&C" maybe it's just a temporary glitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Some stock went up for Carrickmines, but now its gone despite C&C being disabled??

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Meesared wrote: »
    Some stock went up for Carrickmines, but now its gone despite C&C being disabled??

Staff? Or someone lucky enough to see them online and went to shop directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Staff? Or someone lucky enough to see them online and went to shop directly?
    Its supposed to be C&C only, but Staff is a possibility

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    Its supposed to be C&C only, but Staff is a possibility

I also go for staff, at that point C&C was disabled, they do not take orders over the phone as I called at the time.

Advertisement