Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cocobeanie

You need to put a payment through to click and collect. Mine is showing as pending on my account. I would go further than that and add something to your basket and try nearly checkout, better still if your computer will remember your payment details etc as I lost out on one the first time as I was entering card details and by the time I finished they were gone! Had it ready the next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Plascebo wrote: »
    Cheers, have made an account with them but did not put in any payment details as I didn't think it necessary as you pay when you collect?

The money is held by Smyths upon order, the hold is removed if you don't collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drandyt

Hi, can I ask peoples opinions on this.

I had one in local Smyths. Arrived at store. Told mistake all gone. Verbally promised one by manager next week.

Told to just leave my email and money will be taken etc..

Received an email late last night cancelling the order.

Where would I stand regards this? Is simply complaining to Smyths themselves going to be my only option? Has anyone had similar experience?

I Got a reservation few weeks ago in Drogheda, Got an email headline ITS ORDERED, and to wait for ready for collection email.. After an hour I rang the store and they said it must be a glitch as they had no stock and said it would be cancelled soon Rang the main customer service number and they said they would look into it. Then I got a cancellation email so I just kept hunting. Few days later I got an email from Customer Service telling me one was set aside for me in Drogheda :). And true as they're word it was there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Got a Series X today in Galway by pure chance, same day DPD delivered my RTX3070. Head melted with trying to decide what to start with now that I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

The fact you can make 100e on the series X with cex makes it appealing to staff and to punters.

Do you know if CEX are actually paying these prices though? You can't do it through the site so I was wondering if when you actually go in it's a different story. Especially if there's a stream of heads walking in with them.

I guess the big test is how they're restocked from now til xmas. If they're finished til January, I'd expect big prices being paid on the 23rd of December but if they keep arriving the way they have CEX will be left with a lot of unwanted 750e Series Xs imo, there's already double figures available with them atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It is easy money if you were in any way inclined to do it. I wouldn't do it myself but €100 for each Xbox is good money for a small bit of work.

Honestly, I know with my luck as soon as I try to do it they'd drop the price and I'd end up eating a loss :rolleyes: Would serve me right as well, so nah not for me.

I know there's good times for flippers/scalpers, and the last while really seems to have been one, but it seems like more hassle than it's worth to me most of the time. Imagine having to deal with people on adverts all day :eek: :D

Anyway, back on topic - I'm going to keep my Series S. CEX not exactly offering a premium for these anyway :rolleyes: and hopefully my Argos PS5 is legit and with the 2 of them I'm more than sorted.

Really feel this little box has a lot of potential, it's a great bit of engineering imo, the bleeding size and quietness of it. I don't think they'll drop much lower than 300e for the next while but I could see a price-cut on the X if Sony start pulling away again tbh. The One X went from 500 to 289 at a rapid pace. No way that will happen but I could see Microsoft doing something to entice buyers to counter the lack of games.

I'd happily have my Series S as a 'steam box' for my Tv if some smart jailbreaker got that to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Honestly, I know with my luck as soon as I try to do it they'd drop the price and I'd end up eating a loss :rolleyes: Would serve me right as well, so nah not for me.

I know there's good times for flippers/scalpers, and the last while really seems to have been one, but it seems like more hassle than it's worth to me most of the time. Imagine having to deal with people on adverts all day :eek: :D

Scalpers of any shape or kind are put in a special place in hell for me. I think it is a crime to be honest and am glad that their name is being dragged to the mud at the moment. Although the scumbags who do it thrive better with noteriety than praise so it is a win win situation for them.

I can only hope the scumbags are ignored when trying to resell and end up having to sell their stock for less. And fcuk cex for encouraging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ke1

Homelander wrote: »
    Got a Series X today in Galway by pure chance, same day DPD delivered my RTX3070. Head melted with trying to decide what to start with now that I'm home.
    Did you manage to get this on smyths is it or argos and just curious did you check availability on your phone or laptop?
    I could swear all the pages I've bookmarked on my phone are pointless and not actually realistically showing up stock anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

What do people think supply will be like in the new year for the series x? I want to get it but in no major rush to get before Christmas.

cork 2 x in stock

Now GONE

Has anyone figured out how the stock works in Smyths? I don't believe that all of the stock is selling instantly as soon as it shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Basil3 wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how the stock works in Smyths? I don't believe that all of the stock is selling instantly as soon as it shows up.

It is. I was refreshing yesterday morning and I could see stock showing in a lot of stores and selling out quickly.

By pure chance, yesterday afternoon exactly when I checked for the first time in hours, there were 10 in stock in Galway.

Bought mine, 60 seconds later, it was down to 4, then another minute, all gone.

Collected it last evening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MOD NOTE: While this thread previously had order chat in it, it will now be solely for chatting about the consoles. Apologies for not doing this sooner, I think that some of the excitement of actually having the consoles has been lost a bit. Hopefully this sorts that out for now.

If you wish to chat about supply or orders, the dedicated thread for that is here.

CIAB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A couple of observations from owning the X so far:

Quick resume really helps with the game pass quests. Means I can knock in and out of games so easily.

Not sure if this is new or not, but I'd never seen it before. With the removal of the HDMI in slot, they've changed the functionality of the OneGuide button on media remotes, where previously it launched the (totally useless for me) TV Guide, it now lets you select what app you want to launch with the button. This means I now have a dedicated Plex button, so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

I fired up the Series X to get it updated along with a couple of games installed for junior ahead of Christmas day. It's very slick I must say; navigating around is so fast and fluid in comparison to the One S, the controller is ever so slightly different in size but it feels really responsive and solid in your hand (I also got one of the Shock Blue ones which look great).
    Lastly, I've been playing through Control on the One S and loading times are an absolute pain in the ass, especially in sections where you die a bit and have to reload multiple times; I got it installed also and played for about 5 minutes and the difference was phenomenal - literally down from around 90+ seconds to about 5 loading. Also, the framerate is all over the place on the One S at times but it was smooth as butter on the X; I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when the next gen patch arrives early in the new year!

Anyway, all boxed back up and ready for booting up on Christmas day. Oh on a related note, how can I ensure the boot up logo is displayed when I get it up and running for the first time on the day - would temporarily disabling instant on be the best option?

Shred wrote: »
    Anyway, all boxed back up and ready for booting up on Christmas day. Oh on a related note, how can I ensure the boot up logo is displayed when I get it up and running for the first time on the day - would temporarily disabling instant on be the best option?

If you'll be turning it on for the first time since having it disconnected, then you'll get the logo. Otherwise, disable instant on, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

If you'll be turning it on for the first time since having it disconnected, then you'll get the logo. Otherwise, disable instant on, as you say.

Yeah the reason I asked is I powered it up on the 11th to double check all was ok and signed in. But when I powered it back on last night it just went straight to home; I'll unbox it again and disable instant on to be sure.

• Advertisement

Yeah the reason I asked is I powered it up on the 11th to double check all was ok and signed in. But when I powered it back on last night it just went straight to home; I'll unbox it again and disable instant on to be sure.

I think that there's a way to shutdown the console in settings, which will bring up the screen again.

Just to note that it's still different than the first time start up. The logo is only on screen for a few seconds even with Instant On turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Got call from gamestop swords 2 hrs ago to collect mine. Will head in after 4 to grab it and upload it tonight hopefully when kids asleep or tomorrow. Was in wave 2 and only put money down and traded in old xbox on launch day so incase other people waiting for call.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Got my Astro A20 work with Series X. Firmware update on pc, then getting Astro app on xbox itself and now it works with just usb connected, no optical port used. Happy out as I was not in a mood to spend another 150 quid on new headset, when this is really damn good.

I haven't do e this in years, but I preordered Cyberpunk 2077 today on MS store. I know my laptop should be able to run it perfectly fine, but I want to enjoy this game on proper big screen hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Collected it there from gamestop. They have an offer if buying new Xbox console get 40% off 3 mths game pass so I bought it there for 23.39.

No need to disable instant on. Just unplug it from the wall for a few seconds and then make sure Tv is on before powering up the Xbox and the Xbox logo will be shown on boot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

No need to disable instant on. Just unplug it from the wall for a few seconds and then make sure Tv is on before powering up the Xbox and the Xbox logo will be shown on boot up.

Really bad advice.
    Never ever pull the plug on your Xbox or pc if at all possible.
    It stresses the components and shortens their lifespan.
    Always do a proper shutdown. Then pull the plug.
    Ask anyone with a bit of IT experience and everyone one of them will tell you the exact same thing.

Blazer wrote: »
    Really bad advice.
    Never ever pull the plug on your Xbox or pc if at all possible.
    It stresses the components and shortens their lifespan.
    Always do a proper shutdown. Then pull the plug.
    Ask anyone with a bit of IT experience and everyone one of them will tell you the exact same thing.

Well sorry for not spelling it out correctly but I obviously meant(or at least that's what I thought someone would understand) to turn it off first and then pull the plug.

theteal wrote: »
    As a free swap I'd maybe consider it but losing the disk drive and storage space seems like a proper downgrade for how ours is used. I suspect such an "upgrade" would not be free though so no dice

I still can't make up my mind about switching from a One X to Series S. The disc drive isn't used on ours, and storage isn't an issue as the kids would only play 2 or 3 games.

They are also on a 1080p TV, and will never have a 4K TV. In my head, the Series S is going to run smoother, higher framerate games that load way faster, so in that sense it's a definite upgrade over the One X.

On the other hand, it would cost around €100 to make the switch. Maybe if Gamestop bring back their trade-in offer, but I can't imagine that will be until the new year.

I still can't make up my mind about switching from a One X to Series S. The disc drive isn't used on ours, and storage isn't an issue as the kids would only play 2 or 3 games.

They are also on a 1080p TV, and will never have a 4K TV. In my head, the Series S is going to run smoother, higher framerate games that load way faster, so in that sense it's a definite upgrade over the One X.

On the other hand, it would cost around €100 to make the switch. Maybe if Gamestop bring back their trade-in offer, but I can't imagine that will be until the new year.
    I got my kids the series S, similar to you they will never have a 4k screen because they don't make them small enough. If games are done right, it is a series X/PS5 running at 1080p. I can't remember the game but I read a review where the Series S actually performed better than both the Series X and the PS5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Anyone download the Dolby app for the 4K blu ray player? I did yesterday but haven’t had a chance to test it.

Advertisement