Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Still nothing from Gamestop, they told me I would be in wave 2 but its clear they don't know and are making it up as they go along and have no sight on incoming stock.

Not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I tried Vigor for on xbox one X before, and kind of enjoyed it, so got it on seroes X. Annoyingly they decided to cap it at 30, but at least its a lot more stable and feels a lot better.

And thing is, I really enjoying it. Its like Escape from Tarkov, but for old people. I can actually see my enemy before I die and I can exchange a few shots with them. :D A lot more casual take on EFT, but in a way better for it?

Its a bit disappointing that so many games still decide to go for 30fps, instead of 60. Was looking forward to be finally done with 30 this gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

I got my kids the series S, similar to you they will never have a 4k screen because they don't make them small enough. If games are done right, it is a series X/PS5 running at 1080p. I can't remember the game but I read a review where the Series S actually performed better than both the Series X and the PS5.

You can get 27/28 inch 4K monitors.
    I'm still waiting to get one once I see a 4K IPS bargain.
    It'll do for work and xbox :)

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    You can get 27/28 inch 4K monitors.
    I'm still waiting to get one once I see a 4K IPS bargain.
    It'll do for work and xbox :)

I was considering that, but decided a 4K monitor isn't the way to go. I went for a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I can do 120fps games. You're not going to get a 4K monitor that does 120 frames without spending an absolute fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Basil3 wrote: »
    I was considering that, but decided a 4K monitor isn't the way to go. I went for a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I can do 120fps games. You're not going to get a 4K monitor that does 120 frames without spending an absolute fortune.

There is not a single HDMI 2.1 monitor on the market atm. All the monitors that can do 4K120 are via displayport.

• Advertisement

Yep - I know.
    60 FPS is ok for me 4K.
    Not bothered about HDR as proper HDR on a monitor is $$$.
    Have Family TV that does that, but limited to time when I can use that.

(edit)
    1440p 144hz for 120 FPS monitor would be ideal for series s or maybe even x.
    Hmmm ... never thought of that for series x. It'd be great if you could somewhere and see the difference.
    i.e. affordable 1440p/120 FPS vs affordable 4k/60 FPS.
    Damn you MS for giving us options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

One thing that really annoys about xbox (I still buy all their stuff and give them a load of my money :rolleyes:, just love a moan :)) - why can't you turn system sounds off?

Really, moving around the UI..."cchk...cchk..burr bom". Haha, winds me up no end...

I'd love to know how xbox works tbh. Somebody told me once that they emulate a windows environment on it and watching a youtube video (ModernVintageGamer?) where he put retroarch on it semi-officially (as you can put any UWP app on it providing you have dev privileges seemingly) kind of validates this but not sure. Not sure what's actually going on or if it's done any differently from the other consoles in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Mucashinto wrote: »
    One thing that really annoys about xbox (I still buy all their stuff and give them a load of my money :rolleyes:, just love a moan :)) - why can't you turn system sounds off?

Really, moving around the UI..."cchk...cchk..burr bom". Haha, winds me up no end...

I'd love to know how xbox works tbh. Somebody told me once that they emulate a windows environment on it and watching a youtube video (ModernVintageGamer?) where he put retroarch on it semi-officially (as you can put any UWP app on it providing you have dev privileges seemingly) kind of validates this but not sure. Not sure what's actually going on or if it's done any differently from the other consoles in reality.

I have a Cyberpunk One X and it makes these awful loud noises turning on and off the console... you can't turn it down, 6 am turning on the console and it's like Iron Man suiting up in the room. No sneaky Fortnite sessions with that thing waking up the house haha.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I have a Cyberpunk One X and it makes these awful loud noises turning on and off the console... you can't turn it down, 6 am turning on the console and it's like Iron Man suiting up in the room. No sneaky Fortnite sessions with that thing waking up the house haha.

You can turn that off. I thought it was cool when I first got my CP Xbox, but grew tired of it pretty quick.

Those sounds have never bothered me, and have never thought about turning them off. Now that I know you can't turn it off, it will annoy me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

The tap-tap-tap sounds when you enter text is so annoying (and it's just as annoying on Windows too)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Finally picked up my series x on Sunday.

I'm upgrading from a one s so definitely see the improvement in graphics, fh4 looks amazing

I've had the crashing issue with cold war so I'll be staying away from that until they fix it.

I don't know if its in my head but I feel like the sound (through my headphones) is much better on the series x

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

Somebody told me once that they emulate a windows environment on it and watching a youtube video (ModernVintageGamer?) where he put retroarch on it semi-officially (as you can put any UWP app on it providing you have dev privileges seemingly) kind of validates this but not sure. Not sure what's actually going on or if it's done any differently from the other consoles in reality.
    I spent the weekend setting up Retroarch on my Series X, painstaking few hours following youtube walkthroughs but the playback quality of PS1, N64 games is impressive so far.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Finally picked up my series x on Sunday.

I'm upgrading from a one s so definitely see the improvement in graphics, fh4 looks amazing

I've had the crashing issue with cold war so I'll be staying away from that until they fix it.

I don't know if its in my head but I feel like the sound (through my headphones) is much better on the series x

Life is much better with a Series X !
    I noticed my cornflakes taste much nicer since I got one and It's a lot sunnier too.

:)

The Series X is one cool console. Even when it's off. Just don't put it on its side. Looks like a hi tech bread bin then. They definitely should allow you to rotate the xbox badge when you lie it on its side.

Yeah - FH4 is lovely on it!

Really feels more like a console should feel - i.e. fast start up - quick into games. A lot less waiting. Quiet. No hassle. Except that UI. My god - they need to simplify that. It's too anal.

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Really feels more like a console should feel - i.e. fast start up - quick into games. A lot less waiting. Quiet. No hassle. Except that UI. My god - they need to simplify that. It's too anal.

Never understood the UI complaints, 90% of what I do is with the guide button and a couple of clicks. You can also customise/remove plenty of stuff.

I always found the PS4 UI much worse, maybe because I only used it to play a few exclusives so wasn't as familiar. I'm yet to use my PS5, so am interested to see what that's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Basil3 wrote: »
    Never understood the UI complaints, 90% of what I do is with the guide button and a couple of clicks. You can also customise/remove plenty of stuff.

I always found the PS4 UI much worse, maybe because I only used it to play a few exclusives so wasn't as familiar. I'm yet to use my PS5, so am interested to see what that's like.

The PS4 and PS5 library apps are a disaster. You can't search and you can't jump to a specific letter in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Noob question - will a 3.5 jack I'm using on my Nvidia shield work with an Xbox x?

Looking forward to eating cornflakes after its set up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Esho wrote: »
    Noob question - will a 3.5 jack I'm using on my Nvidia shield work with an Xbox x?

Looking forward to eating cornflakes after its set up :-)

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

So my life now is playing Eliminator.
    I'm fine with that. Wife save kids, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Is there any idiots guide to port forwarding on the Vodafone router for the Xbox series x?

I have a strict Nat type and can’t change it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Is there any idiots guide to port forwarding on the Vodafone router for the Xbox series x?

Try this here. It's for a gigabox, not sure what router you have.

Portforward used to be an amazing website, but now they're trying to monetize it, so while it's still useful, be wary of the ads that pop up. It doesn't seem to do it anymore, but one time they showed me a really sketchy ad for their services, made it look like I had to pay to access the actual info. You don't, you just need to click close. Definitely don't sign up to anything on there, or download any "utilities".

Not helpful for your immediate situation, but worth considering vodafone will let you use your own router. For broadband only, if you have TV you.must use their router.

Yeah set a static IP on your console, something high to avoid possible conflicts like 192.168.1.100 and put that IP into the DMZ.

In the router settings, Advanced > NAT > DMZ tab , highlight the entry that starts with PTM, add the IP address check the enable box and click submit, reboot everything and it should be open.

I've tried the UPNP and port forward route and it will either work for a week and need to be rebooted or just not work at all. The Router itself is a POS and suffers from other issues but thats a whole other thread and as mentioned they will let you use your own but doing the above with sort you without paying for a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Have they finally separated the Stock update Thread from the general discussion thread? Although I'd like to be helpful, I was hoping to see more chat about other things..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

DM_2092 wrote: »
    Have they finally separated the Stock update Thread from the general discussion thread? Although I'd like to be helpful, I was hoping to see more chat about other things..

Well I may as well chime in with sort of relevant chat.

I'm waiting for Watch dogs Legion to release a update so I can play the game on my series X. I read there is save issues on Xbox series X and S and it wasn't fixed yet but they are working on it.

I'm not in a mad rush either though as I am a small bit into Batman Arkham Knight. Free on gamepass also.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Well I may as well chime in with sort of relevant chat.

I'm waiting for Watch dogs Legion to release a update so I can play the game on my series X. I read there is save issues on Xbox series X and S and it wasn't fixed yet but they are working on it.

I'm not in a mad rush either though as I am a small bit into Batman Arkham Knight. Free on gamepass also.

I've found Cold War to have a few issues recently. I'm trying to unlock the red door achievement and the game keeps on freezing at the same spot. That being said, I've completed the campaign already. Multiplayer works fine.. Mostly.

Having a blast on Game Pass lately, onto Halo 5 and going to delve into the battlefield series when I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

DK224 wrote: »
    I spent the weekend setting up Retroarch on my Series X, painstaking few hours following youtube walkthroughs but the playback quality of PS1, N64 games is impressive so far.

I was only half-watching one video, and kind of skipped through the setup. He said something about "only being able to be in one mode" or something and wasn't sure what it meant. Whether you had two accounts on the system or same account but a different boot mode etc? Sounded like a little bit of faff alright, but yeah he was very impressed with the quality and if it takes off and gets supported more as well that would be excellent.

EDIT: haha, I wonder if people working on/optimizing the cores would have to work on a Series S version and a Series X version :D I'm guessing it's more open than that though and is platform agnostic, it basically just thinks the S/X are PCs?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not helpful for your immediate situation, but worth considering vodafone will let you use your own router. For broadband only, if you have TV you.must use their router.

Do they? I've a Nest Wifi and I just plugged it into the Vodafone BB router and set that to bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

I was only half-watching one video, and kind of skipped through the setup. He said something about "only being able to be in one mode" or something and wasn't sure what it meant. Whether you had two accounts on the system or same account but a different boot mode etc? Sounded like a little bit of faff alright, but yeah he was very impressed with the quality and if it takes off and gets supported more as well that would be excellent.

EDIT: haha, I wonder if people working on/optimizing the cores would have to work on a Series S version and a Series X version :D I'm guessing it's more open than that though and is platform agnostic, it basically just thinks the S/X are PCs?
    You have to unlock Dev Mode on your Xbox to be able to set up and access Retroarch. Once it is installed and working you have to switch from Dev
    Mode back to normal start up to access your Xbox dashboard & games, you have launch back into Dev mode each time you want to use Retroarch.

It's not ideal but its really the fist few weeks of emulation on the console and it will be a scene to watch as the community is very active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Looks like Halo isn't out until late next year. Fall 2021 is what they are saying.

Advertisement