Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

Decided to check compatibility with Rock Band 4 guitars and mics tonight. I can report they work great but my fretting arm (right one) is about to fall off and herself is hoarse after 4 songs :o

I play on expert but it's unreal how much that hurts when you haven't played in a long while. Obviously the muscle group isn't being exerted every day from my wrist to my elbow on my fretting hand. missing stuff I'd have got easily when I played this a lot due to fingers refusing to move. Was planning on heading out on the bike in the morning but my gear shifting fingers are ****ed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Gigabit FTTH means i'll never have to worry about running out of space :D

Deleting games isn't a big deal when you can download them again in a few minutes.

What speeds are you getting out of your gigabit connection?
    Mine throttles out at <300Mbps on the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I can get 1.5Mb/s not to be confused with 1.5MB/s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Conar wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting out of your gigabit connection?
    Mine throttles out at <300Mbps on the Xbox.

500Mbps-ish wired. It goes over and under a good bit but stuff downloads in minutes either way.

I'm of the opinion that you need a good internet connection as much as anything else to get the most out of the new generation of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

OK so having a problem here with Series x. Was playing wolfenstein 2 so put it on there won't play now saying disc might be dirty or scratched, ejected it and 1 tiny mark rubbed it off, still won't play, so I put in far cry 5 there now, nothing is happening, it's not showing up in home screen etc. Still showing wolfenstein 2. Have the xbox less then a week, 1st problem here. Was unplugged last night but would of been unplugged when xbox was off. Turned it off there and then turned off power button at plug, working fine now. Anyone come across this at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Just to say - this Quick Resume is ****ing brilliant imo.

I don't depend on it, so maybe you could get screwed over if you did and be raging, but I keep forgetting it exists and then when it pops open...

Had a run in Binding of Isaac over a week ago and switched off the console in the middle when something came up. Consoles been on and off multiple times since. Thought I'd have another run there so went to load up the game - right back to the middle of the run I was in, fecking mad :eek:

500Mbps-ish wired. It goes over and under a good bit but stuff downloads in minutes either way.

I'm of the opinion that you need a good internet connection as much as anything else to get the most out of the new generation of consoles.

Sure, anything under an hour can be classed as minutes :D

You'd still want to make sure any of these 100gb games are kept on your console. Gonna take a lot longer than making a cuppa to download them, even with gigabit.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Just to say - this Quick Resume is ****ing brilliant imo.

I don't depend on it, so maybe you could get screwed over if you did and be raging, but I keep forgetting it exists and then when it pops open...

Had a run in Binding of Isaac over a week ago and switched off the console in the middle when something came up. Consoles been on and off multiple times since. Thought I'd have another run there so went to load up the game - right back to the middle of the run I was in, fecking mad :eek:

It is amazing when it works. I was shocked when I turned on Jedi Fallen Order after not touching it for a week, and I was back in the action in a couple of seconds.

It's still buggy with most FPS games I play, which are the type you don't want to quick resume with anyway. Sometimes I have to kill the game again and reload it to make things work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Here's wan for ye.

I seem to break controllers for a unintentional past time. I've went through about 40 Xbox One controllers in about 6 years. Mainly left thumbstick 3 o clock issues. All replaced via store warranty or German controller hospital in, Germany.

Backwards compatibility now sees me with a Series X/s controller. Will it endure like a 360 controller, or does it fail like a One X controller?

I only play FIFA.

Edit: I hope they've sorted the above problem

Edit Edit: Original question, will the Series X/s Controller last?

Answers on a postcard please

Liamalone wrote: »
    Here's wan for ye.

I seem to break controllers for a unintentional past time. I've went through about 40 Xbox One controllers in about 6 years. Mainly left thumbstick 3 o clock issues. All replaced via store warranty or German controller hospital in, Germany.

Backwards compatibility now sees me with a Series X/s controller. Will it endure like a 360 controller, or does it fail like a One X controller?

I only play FIFA.

I hear ya. My young lad goes through them for a hobby but for him its the 3 5mm port that breaks. He's fully wireless now including chat so now he can use all his broken controllers again :-)

About quick resume comments above, it rarely works for me. I'm only play 2 games at the moment, Fifa 20 and Control. Fifa 20 freezes on quick resume, I have to kill it everytime. Control rarely quick resumes, but it has done a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Here's wan for ye.

40! FORTY!!! :eek:

I busted one X1 controller updating it (prompted to connect it to the One via cable and then it bricked). It's actually still sitting in the drawer. I looked it up on support but it was out of warranty.

But forty is amazing! You must have Spiderman esque reflexes/power going on.

I'm probably a bit strange. I've never broken a controller. I thought one of my kids did once, but there was just something stuck under a bumper.

I did bring them up to look after their ****, though. That's probably part of it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Did spotify always play in the background when you launched something else like a game or app? Maybe I just never did that while I had spotify running on the older console.

I believe that was enabled around the time that MS started pushing the UWP apps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've only broken one controller, the Elite. Dropped off a table and the shoulder button broke. Quick fix after a bit of online shopping.

As for Quick Resume, it's a legit game changer. It's a real next gen feature, one that I hadn't expected to feel so amazing. Just FYI, I'm in the preview program, and there's fixes in the latest preview. Meant to work better, and on more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm hardwired to an unmanaged switch with CAT6 as is a PC. That goes back to the router.
    PC can get a speedtest of 900Mbps approx but the Xbox never exceeds 310 or maybe a flicker at 320. It's the same on the PC downloading from the MS store though.
    I can download from Usenet etc at a much higher speed.

Interesting to see that you get a lot more. I might get on to my ISP and see if something is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

40 broken controllers !

Another first world problem:
    Should I continue playing GTA5 or wait for the enhanced next gen version which is supposed to be coming out in 2021.

Is that definitely going to happen on Xbox series x ? And when I wonder ...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    40 broken controllers !

Should I continue playing GTA5 or wait for the enhanced next gen version which is supposed to be coming out in 2021.

Haha was thinking the same lately. I’m going to wait , will be even bigger gap since i last played it when it comes out and with the obvious enhancements

I actually don’t know if it’s happening

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    40 broken controllers !

It's only the online part that will be enhanced the single player part will not. It will be called GTA V online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

quad_red wrote: »
    40! FORTY!!! :eek:

Internal clip on 360 thumbstick controller was made of metal, no issues in 5 or 6 years. Xbox One controller changed that clip to plastic - I had my Xbox One an hour when the first controller passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

How long do people think it will take for a third party company to make an adaptor that will fit in the back of the console that you could buy and fit your own ssd chip to to rival the official one?

I've looked online and can't see much info atm

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    How long do people think it will take for a third party company to make an adaptor that will fit in the back of the console that you could buy and fit your own ssd chip to to rival the official one?

I've looked online and can't see much info atm

It's proprietary so you cannot make one and sell you would have to contact MS and work out a deal before you can even bring one to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's proprietary so you cannot make one and sell you would have to contact MS and work out a deal before you can even bring one to market.

Didn't stop the dodgy Chinese manufacturers making enclosures for the 360.

If there is a way to get the xbox to recognise an external m.2 drive via the port it will be found and an adapter made, even if it's illegal to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

ill be buying an XBox x in January hopefully and was wondering how big the game updates are , at the moment i have 3 all you can eat data
    i have done a speedtest and i am getting 33mb download , would this be sufficient enough ?? if not ill have to look into getting a proper Broadband connection?

Teothican wrote: »
    ill be buying an XBox x in January hopefully and was wondering how big the game updates are , at the moment i have 3 all you can eat data
    i have done a speedtest and i am getting 33mb download , would this be sufficient enough ?? if not ill have to look into getting a proper Broadband connection?

Do you mean game downloads?

40-80gb from my experience and that speed would work you would just have to leave it overnight, no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Basil3 wrote: »
    It is amazing when it works. I was shocked when I turned on Jedi Fallen Order after not touching it for a week, and I was back in the action in a couple of seconds.

It's still buggy with most FPS games I play, which are the type you don't want to quick resume with anyway. Sometimes I have to kill the game again and reload it to make things work properly.

About quick resume comments above, it rarely works for me. I'm only play 2 games at the moment, Fifa 20 and Control. Fifa 20 freezes on quick resume, I have to kill it everytime. Control rarely quick resumes, but it has done a couple of times.

Yeah, I'm guessing for whatever reason it works better on less taxing games? Doom Eternal has been hit & miss for me with the odd quit needed to fix it alright but I play a lot of dungeon crawlers/roguelites and they've been flawless.

Could be a live account issue maybe? Seems like that could throw some extra difficulty if checks are made by default etc on loading. But for Neon Abyss it's been 100%

Didn't stop the dodgy Chinese manufacturers making enclosures for the 360.

If there is a way to get the xbox to recognise an external m.2 drive via the port it will be found and an adapter made, even if it's illegal to do so.

That's a better description of what I meant, I don't care about the legality doubt anyone else who would be doing it would either.

I'm surprised there are no vids of people trying to solder them directly to that ports connection to the board yet

I agree with you, I think it's a matter of when and probably soon

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm guessing for whatever reason it works better on less taxing games? Doom Eternal has been hit & miss for me with the odd quit needed to fix it alright but I play a lot of dungeon crawlers/roguelites and they've been flawless.

Could be a live account issue maybe? Seems like that could throw some extra difficulty if checks are made by default etc on loading. But for Neon Abyss it's been 100%

All the games that need a live token just don't work. PUBG is one example, it tries to throw you back into a lobby. COD Cold War also puts me into offline multiplayer, because I don't have a valid token.

MOD NOTE: Moved some order/stock posts to the correct thread.

CIAB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Here's wan for ye.

I only play FIFA.

If you're killing that many it might be no harm in replacing the left stick yourself (or taking it apart at least and see what the issue is), I replaced thumbsticks on mine last year, mainly for wear but it resolved the tiny drag I saw sometimes. Also a fifa player here, make sure you're not rubber banding or anything to kill time, or at least mix it up, seems to cause people issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

A couple of questions for the experienced,

Is it wise to set up the box before the young lad gets it on Xmas morning?

Should I set up an ID for him on the new box, he has an old xbox360 that's logged into my old MS account that I'd prefer to keep to myself. I'm guessing he'd lose any downloaded games that way.

Thanks for the steers on getting one of these, I'd have been in big trouble without the advice on this thread. Happy Christmas Y'all.

Advertisement