Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

peejay1986 wrote: »
    What was this? I'm intrigued.

Every purchase you make through your Microsoft account (including games) adds "Microsoft Points" to your account, which you can use to buy various things, including Xbox live gift cards.

There's other ways of getting points too, through Microsoft Rewards, which is basically playing games that're on Game Pass. Considering that's something that I'd be doing anyway, it's just an added bonus, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Laura_Ham

Hi all, my son is looking for Xbox Series X plus Call of Duty for Christmas. What's the best way of getting these? Pre order separately or could some of the stores be selling bundles??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have enough points to get a €25 store credit, so I'll definitely be ordering the machine direct from MS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Laura_Ham wrote: »
    Hi all, my son is looking for Xbox Series X plus Call of Duty for Christmas. What's the best way of getting these? Pre order separately or could some of the stores be selling bundles??
    well perorder in smyth then also perorder black ops as well pick up series x tuesday given you get one at launch then just pick up black ops friday sorted.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I have enough points to get a €25 store credit, so I'll definitely be ordering the machine direct from MS :)

I'm doing something wrong, my points balance never seems to go up to the point where I can get anything useful

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm doing something wrong, my points balance never seems to go up to the point where I can get anything useful

This'll be my first ever redemption :)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

marcbrophy wrote: »

Look out for the €5 gift cards for 4k points that pop up every few months, you can get €25 for 20k saving you almost enough for another €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'll probably order it through Microsoft and get the points again. They got the console to me day one the last time around as well, so that's alright.

Did you order it on microsoft.com?
    Did the take preorders before?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

I was lucky enough to win €500 on the xbox sweepstakes it was ment to be for a one x but now its for a new series x. Hopefully I can pre order on the ms store.

Look out for the €5 gift cards for 4k points that pop up every few months, you can get €25 for 20k saving you almost enough for another €5.

I'll keep an eye out, hopefully some deal pops up before the 22nd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

xtal191 wrote: »
    Of course it'll boost sales, there's gonna be loads of people who intended on only getting the PS5 who'll now get the Series S along with it

Cant see many people spending 800e on two consoles tbh. Probably get more sales the following Christmas. And it's not as if they couldn't already get game pass on an xbox for 200 cuid as it is. I mean if they're going to buy an inferior console now then surely it wouldn't have bothered them to buy an S before or pick up a one x cheap now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Cant see many people spending 800e on two consoles tbh. Probably get more sales the following Christmas. And it's not as if they couldn't already get game pass on an xbox for 200 cuid as it is. I mean if they're going to buy an inferior console now then surely it wouldn't have bothered them to buy an S before or pick up a one x cheap now

I can see a lot of people getting 2 consoles for €800 overall, they would get one now and the other one in a couple of years. I think getting a cheap one x now would be a bad idea but getting a series S in Nov is a far better idea as its a gamepass device for the next 8 years PLUS all Xbox one games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Laura_Ham wrote: »

You're better off preordering as soon as possible once preorders go live. Maybe the Xbox won't sell out in minutes like the PS5, but you never know.

I'm gonna ask the question however - how old is your son? That game is rated M, which means 17+ years old.

Also, a friendly hint that could save some parents headaches, aimless rushing and heartbreak under the Christmas tree: try to dissuade your kids from asking for an Xbox Series X/S or a Playstation 5 for this Christmas. Availability is likely to be problematic until the beginning of 2021 at least, and it's possible the consoles will be sold out in minutes pretty much everywhere. Let's not feed the unavoidable scammers and scalpers that will invariably be ready to either sell you a real console for twice or thrice its price - if not to send you an original cardboard box with a couple of bricks inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    You're better off preordering as soon as possible once preorders go live. Maybe the Xbox won't sell out in minutes like the PS5, but you never know.

I'm gonna ask the question however - how old is your son? That game is rated M, which means 17+ years old.

Also, a friendly hint that could save some parents headaches, aimless rushing and heartbreak under the Christmas tree: try to dissuade your kids from asking for an Xbox Series X/S or a Playstation 5 for this Christmas. Availability is likely to be problematic until the beginning of 2021 at least, and it's possible the consoles will be sold out in minutes pretty much everywhere. Let's not feed the unavoidable scammers and scalpers that will invariably be ready to either sell you a real console for twice or thrice its price - if not to send you an original cardboard box with a couple of bricks inside.

Well done you just ruined a little kids Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not sure about the Xbox, but do they have pre-orders for other hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Limpar

Have Gamestop mentioned any trade-in deals yet?
    I'm keen to trade in my One X against the Series X.
    I remember Gamestop had a decent deal when I traded in my One S against the One X at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Limpar wrote: »
    Have Gamestop mentioned any trade-in deals yet?
    I'm keen to trade in my One X against the Series X.
    I remember Gamestop had a decent deal when I traded in my One S against the One X at launch.

Not yet i am going to do the same - they would deffo have one though for launch they always do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It was either on the Microsoft site, or the Xbox site, can't remember which. They usually conflate the two anyway, so starting a purchase on Xbox.com will sometimes bring you out to Microsoft.com.

It'll almost certainly be available here anyway.

Just make sure that you're logged in with your Live/Microsoft account when you're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'll probably order it through Microsoft and get the points again. They got the console to me day one the last time around as well, so that's alright.

Do they delivery it via courier to your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

I preordered my Xbox one with them before it launched, I got it a day late and if I remember correctly there were a few others on here who had the same problem. Saying that, I will preorder with them again, I don't think it'll happen again and even if it does I'll be working on launch day anyway so won't matter too much to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Not yet i am going to do the same - they would deffo have one though for launch they always do.

Would it be better to wait until then to trade it in as I would get 243 gamestop credit now if I traded my one in now? Also do you reckon you would have to have it pre ordered before then to even get one on the day if they do an offer as they are looking for 50 deposit?

Well done you just ruined a little kids Xmas.

Quite the opposite, in fact. There are going to be a lot of parents who are clueless about the whole thing, who'll sey "yeah, I'll get you that" without relizing it will most likely sell out before it even hits the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,482 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quite the opposite, in fact. There are going to be a lot of parents who are clueless about the whole thing, who'll sey "yeah, I'll get you that" without relizing it will most likely sell out before it even hits the shelves.

I'd say there'll be plenty of availability, there normally is.

And your idea to dissuade your kid about wanting a console is ludicrous.

Sure I'm 50 year old and I can't wait to get it and nothing will stop me wanting it so I can't see how a kid at Christmas time will be convinced not to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've seen one or two developers expressing concerns over the Series S's (so many Sssss) reduced memory. Here are Tweets from Axel Gneiting (id's principal engine programmer), Billy Khan (id's lead engine programmer), and Dustin Land (id senior programmer).

https://twitter.com/axelgneiting/status/1304186159657103365?s=20

https://twitter.com/billykhan/status/1304113593898741761?s=20

Sasan Sepehr is a producer at Remedy.

https://twitter.com/xC4RM1N3x/status/1303578393619894272?s=20
    https://twitter.com/xC4RM1N3x/status/1303584952412446720?s=20

Could all be a non-issue of course, but I'd be interested to see what other industry peeps think.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be plenty of availability, there normally is.

Xbox One was sold out within 24 hours, and that was a console that was universally panned before launch because of the included Kinect and the "always online" feature.

If you don't believe me, there's proof:
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/11/23/xbox-one-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history/

"Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers. We are working to replenish stock as fast as possible to meet the unprecedented demand from our customers."

In the seven years since, the internet hype train and exposure has only gotten worse and worse - even niche and super expensive stuff like high-end graphics cards and CPU sell out within minutes of launch, with resupplies taking months to be available.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    And your idea to dissuade your kid about wanting a console is ludicrous.

Sure I'm 50 year old and I can't wait to get it and nothing will stop me wanting it so I can't see how a kid at Christmas time will be convinced not to want it.

Well, somehow our parents were capable of "curbing expectations". Then again, mine was just a tip to potentially save a few "not well informed" parents a lot of headaches this Christmas, I'm sorry it caused such costernation.

At this point I'm surprised nobody accused ME of being a hoarder/scalper trying to go the "MORE FOR MEEE!!!" route :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,482 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Xbox One was sold out within 24 hours, and that was a console that was universally panned before launch because of the included Kinect and the "always online" feature.

If you don't believe me, there's proof:
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/11/23/xbox-one-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history/

"Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers. We are working to replenish stock as fast as possible to meet the unprecedented demand from our customers."

In the seven years since, the internet hype train and exposure has only gotten worse and worse - even niche and super expensive stuff like high-end graphics cards and CPU sell out within minutes of launch, with resupplies taking months to be available.

Well, somehow our parents were capable of "curbing expectations". Then again, mine was just a tip to potentially save a few "not well informed" parents a lot of headaches this Christmas, I'm sorry it caused such costernation.

At this point I'm surprised nobody accused ME of being a hoarder/scalper trying to go the "MORE FOR MEEE!!!" route :D

They may have sold out at launch but they replenished stock. I got mine in late November or early December in Argos without problems.

Just because I commented on your post does not mean it caused any consternation.

I just think it's unrealistic to stop kids being kids. There's a difference between expectations and wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Reducing the RAM in the S is like the ESRAM bottleneck that was around in the OG XBox One. They eventually removed it in the One S model.

Reducing the RAM in the S is like the ESRAM bottleneck that was around in the OG XBox One. They eventually removed it in the One S model.

yeah but this is a bit different in concept - I hadn't thought about it, tbh. Having a slower console that downscales the games is one thing, having a RAM limitation an entirely different one in terms of developing the games.

Depending on how the two models sell relative to one another, it might become a case of most games being developed to run on the Series S. These Twitter posts explained the conundrum well.

You gotta go back to the Home Computer era to find similar situations, with the various different Spectrum versions and most software being developed to run on the 48k version, while the 128k ones had little use for the memory advantage.

Obviously different eras, techniques and resources, but it'll be interesting to see how they go around the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not sure if this was mentioned before but as someone who still has a 1080p TV, is there really any benefit of me getting an X over an S?

After spending the last 3 years on PC, I couldn't stomach another 30fps game! I know in the PC realm the GPU contributes to frames but the S seems to be marketed to have the same level of performance as the X, albeit at a lower resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Not sure if this was mentioned before but as someone who still has a 1080p TV, is there really any benefit of me getting an X over an S?

After spending the last 3 years on PC, I couldn't stomach another 30fps game! I know in the PC realm the GPU contributes to frames but the S seems to be marketed to have the same level of performance as the X, albeit at a lower resolution.

Do you see yourself upgrading your TV over the next few years?

Framerates will likely be lower on the S over the X. Ultimately it'll be a developer decision of where to scale back on (graphical fidelity vs. framerate). Another thing to consider is the larger harddrive in the X ; additional storage is going to be very costly this time around.

Advertisement