Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A guy on my friends list has nearly 7000GS points so far this month and we are only the 10th of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Haha! Thankfully no one on my friends list is that gung ho when it comes to achievements.

I am sitting in 2nd to someone on 960 points and I have 775 🙂

I'm sitting in 2nd place with 2285.

The guy in first on mine has a seriously high overall GS something like over 300,000.

I finished December 1st with 2,470 and that was a very high month for me.

I like getting the 1 per day for the rewards points, but after that I wouldn't be the best at unlocking them 😁

3415 so far this month, there are a lot of easy completions on gamepass.

• Advertisement

I wish they would do away with gamer score. I know I can just play a game the way I want and ignore them and thats what I usually do. I average about 300 GS per game which is usually all you get for completing a game without doing all the bullshit tedious achievement tasks.

But I'm about 90 hours into valhalla and it has given me 180 GS!! This is a game that you can't progress unless you do some sides and looting as new regions have a minimum skill level. So that's 90 hours of main mission plus a ton of extras and all I have to show for it is 180 GS.

Yes I can ignore it, but the problem is I can't. For some reason it really pisses me off. Especially when I see achievements like "slide 150m in the snow". Seriously, ffs.

I've 237 hours in Valhalla and still only 2/3 of the GS.

1030/1530

I'm way ahead of the skill level I need to be. 197 and on I'm on a 160 region. That tells me the achievements are full of nonsense that has no bearing on the game.

I'm obviously enjoying the game, otherwise I wouldn't have put 90 hours into it and fully intend on finishing it. But it's just irritating me that they don't use achievements for rewarding you for your, erm, achievements in the game. Instead it's a form of punishment for not following their bullshit tedious tangents. They are using people's achievement hunting OCD to lock players into playing for longer than they need to.

I could honestly see Gamer Score, trophies etc coming under scrutiny on a mental health basis.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I was like this for the longest time, and it's so off putting, I started seeing my hobby/downtime as a chore, and I simply didn't have enough time available to get achievements. Took a long break from gaming, and now achievements are almost nothing for me. Will still get them, but very rarely will I go out of my way to get them, I'll just move on once I've finished.

An option to turn them off would suit people with a completionist problem, and wouldn't take them away from people who love them.

Ass Creed Valhalla is just a bad game. Play through it all, but while it took up my time, I didn't get loads of enjoyment out of it, very quickly became a slog. If I hadn't paid full price for it, I'd have dropped it well before finishing.

Valhalla was a game that made bad use of my time. I think I went 3 evenings in a row without the story progressing at all due to having to do other things to move the story on. It forced you do collectibles etc for XP as you didn't gain much from combat. It wasn't nearly interesting enough to warrant it's length. 110 hours I think it took. I didn't buy the expensive season pass.

I picked it up as I wanted something shiny and new with the series X, to add insult to injury they downgraded the graphics not long after release to fix a screen tearing issue among other things that didn't effect me as I'd a freesync display.

• Advertisement

Same reasons for picking it up, some next gen rpg. I loved Watch Dogs Legions and would rate that much higher, but this was another shiny next gen game that appealed. To be honest, I am enjoying it although at this stage (as with most rpg's) I just want to get it finished.

I like the idea of being able to disable them. You can disable notifications, but being able to switch them off everywhere would be better (while still gathering in the background so you can switch them back on if you want).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Holy Crap - MS announce plan to buy Activision Blizzard ... $68 billion and change

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/18/22889258/microsoft-activision-blizzard-xbox-acquisition-call-of-duty-overwatch

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Way things are going with Microsoft buying out studios we will just have to rename this forum as general gaming.

Things just got very interesting. To be honest I would prefer if studios would just sign up for game pass and we had all games there without MS having to take them over.

There's even an argument for PlayStation to put their games on game pass. I know I know, shut up you gobsh!te. But seriously it would make perfect business sense. They are selling their movie streaming rights to the highest bidder, why not their PlayStation games too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Funnily enough PlayStation Studios have the record as the biggest sports title in Game Pass history (MLB the show)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Liking the idea of Invasion mode in this upcoming game.

Basically invade another random player's campaign mode and take them out.

I hate those features. Watch Dogs started that. You are trying to play the game and someone who prefers messing with you comes into your game to screw around with you. It's fine when you are finished and just pretending to play it but are really on the look out for someone invading your game. It's just about as bad as GTA IV "cousin come bowling with me". But worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What speeds do people get when downloading or updating large games?

I saw someone today claim they get 500 Mbps downloads on fibre, no doubt hard wired to the router, but I have 150 Mbps fibre and a series X connected to 5Ghz wifi which should be good for ±450 Mbps, but downloads are always only around 72 Mbps. Often they are slower and I once saw a very brief 102 Mps for a couple seconds, but really it's 70-80 Mbps on any given day, and all to frequently, half that or less.

Running a speedtest in Edge (Sony, what were you thinking?) and I get the same as my laptop on WiFi at 126 Mbps down and 29 up.

These speeds are the same my One X used to get and which people thought was being constrained by the HD, which obvioulsy wasn't the case.

Just be lucky you have those speeds. I get like 300kbs and that's when it going good i can get less than that.

• Advertisement

I had 18 years of 3-4 Mbps, so I am thankful, but that's not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Up to 80 on a wired 100Mbps connection, which is what I'd expect. I'm hoping at least 5 times that if/when we upgrade to 500Mbps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's going to depend on your router very much, to be honest. The bog standard router that came with Virgin Media would probably top out around 70 to 80 Mbps on 5Ghz as well. In fact, you'd be hard pushed to go beyond that unless you've got a WiFi 6 router. I've always run a separate router for wireless as the VM boxes are trash, and recently updated to a WiFi 6 router, and the different between them is stark.

With the VM box on it's own, the Xbox was dropping off once or twice a night, took a minute or two each time.

Switching the VM box into bridge mode and running my own router sorted that right out and improved speeds.

Upgrading the separate router to a Wifi 6 one meant that I could stream my Xbox without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone here play much Hell Let Loose? Kinda intrigued by it, I like the slower tense games and used to play hardcore mode on battlefield a long time ago, not the abomination it's become now.

Just wondering how it runs on series S in particular, and what the levels of communication, voice or pings, are like while playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sniping game about stealth then it's a case of 'game on'. Many seasoned players of this game had been asking for a better AI sniper enemy on Rebellion discord so I think they're getting better than that. Quite a few like to play through the campaigns on hardest levels without getting spotted as much as possible. Presume you can turn it off and make it a private game also anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't play much of it, but it's heavily team based. As a solo player, all you can do is be infantry, as most vehicles require 2 or more people to use fully (tank needs 3). But it's intense when you're in the thick of it. No HUD, no indicators, no idea if you hit or killed the one shooting at you. It's hard in that regard, and you see heroes getting mowed down all the time. Nearly cacked myself when I was behind a ditch reloading and a tank rolled over the ditch at speed and jumped over me. Not sure how it runs on the S, I played it on the PS5. Comms work but you have to be near each other, so you pick up only what's happening around you, or if you use a radio I think. There are pings, but not sure how they work. But yeah, it really needs teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

play on ps5 . i really like it

It's a Fritzbox, and I think you missed the bit about doing a speed test on the xbox. Laptop gets the same speed and downloads on that can be 15 MBps on the same 5ghz and router. My suspicion is its MS being the slow bit, which seems silly which is why I am asking if anyone else is seeing speeds maxing a fibre connection.

Currently I have my doubts you will see the speeds you are hoping for, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

It's class. I love it now. Playing it on the PS5. Does take a while to get use to as you die crazy at the beginning, (saying that I die loads still even tho I'm rank 73). Give it a few games as I was like I don't like this at the beginning few matches as was dying tons 1st few games. But it's a great game v realistic. Headset you will need. Some games the squad you were in will talk and can be a laugh and helps you put on knowing where enemies are etc. Then lots of games no chat. Would highly recommend it to people. More you play more you unlock some weapons for character you will pick but you can change it as well when you die unless someone has picked the character in the squad already. Give it a few go's and I reckon you will be hooked to it.

Advertisement