Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Do you see yourself upgrading your TV over the next few years?

Framerates will likely be lower on the S over the X. Ultimately it'll be a developer decision of where to scale back on (graphical fidelity vs. framerate). Another thing to consider is the larger harddrive in the X ; additional storage is going to be very costly this time around.

That's the dilemma. Upgrading the TV and getting an X will realistically be 1k+ by which point I may aswell just upgrade my PC. The control developers have over this is kind of off-putting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's the dilemma. Upgrading the TV and getting an X will realistically be 1k+ by which point I may aswell just upgrade my PC. The control developers have over this is kind of off-putting to be honest.

1k+ for TV and Xbox? Are you buying a 10 inche TV? :pac:

A TV like an OLED or QLED that offers 4k, HDMI 2.1, HDR 10 and 10+, Dolbyvision etc in a 55 inche panel will set you back 1500-2000k and thats just an entry model. Slap the Series X price of 500 onto it and you wont see much change out of 2500 euro.

That being said, ALOT of the games that are available at launch wont be able to avail of all the horsepower in the series x so my advise would be to hold off on TV upgrades for another 12 months and you will see prices dramatically drop.

My current TV supports 4k, HDR10 etc so I am happy to run games at 60fps until such a time I can get the cash together to move to HDMI 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not sure if this was mentioned before but as someone who still has a 1080p TV, is there really any benefit of me getting an X over an S?

After spending the last 3 years on PC, I couldn't stomach another 30fps game! I know in the PC realm the GPU contributes to frames but the S seems to be marketed to have the same level of performance as the X, albeit at a lower resolution.

If you've been gaming on PC, this likely won't apply to you. But it's worth noting that the S is download only, so if you have any older games on disc, or would prefer to be able to trade in finished games, you'd need the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

ZiabR wrote: »

Haha, emphasis on the +.

Not sure if the total price of next gen adoption is worth it at that rate. Maybe the S will be enough. Hopefully there won't be that many 30fps releases on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ZiabR wrote: »

A TV like an OLED or QLED that offers 4k, HDMI 2.1, HDR 10 and 10+, Dolbyvision etc in a 55 inche panel will set you back 1500-2000k and thats just an entry model. Slap the Series X price of 500 onto it and you wont see much change out of 2500 euro.

That being said, ALOT of the games that are available at launch wont be able to avail of all the horsepower in the series x so my advise would be to hold off on TV upgrades for another 12 months and you will see prices dramatically drop.

My current TV supports 4k, HDR10 etc so I am happy to run games at 60fps until such a time I can get the cash together to move to HDMI 2.1.

The other thing about buying a top end telly to get the most from the console, is the fact that outside of gaming, not a lot else is going to take advantage of its strengths. 4k stuff on netflix or amazon is a small enough catalog, and the bandwidth required for streaming to that fidelity is out of reach for lots of folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Greyfox wrote: »
    I can see a lot of people getting 2 consoles for €800 overall, they would get one now and the other one in a couple of years. I think getting a cheap one x now would be a bad idea but getting a series S in Nov is a far better idea as its a gamepass device for the next 8 years PLUS all Xbox one games.

Every single one of my friends has an xbox. I'll get the new series X. I already have the 360 and One. However i did buy a PS4 in a black friday sale to play all the PS exclusives. If there was a cheap version of the PS5 I'd probably do the same sometime next year.

So I'm the usercase you're talking about but in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But at some point in the next few years you will probably upgrade your TV. Even if it's in 5-6 years time you'll already have the xbox.

The main reason to get it now is to future proof. but if you're not bothered then just get the S.

I'm getting the X but I will be jealous of S owners. It's looks so nice.

Grayson wrote: »
    Every single one of my friends has an xbox. I'll get the new series X. I already have the 360 and One. However i did buy a PS4 in a black friday sale to play all the PS exclusives. If there was a cheap version of the PS5 I'd probably do the same sometime next year.

So I'm the usercase you're talking about but in reverse.
    same here. PS exclusives are appealing but focus on single player campaign and can be played at any time. I might pick up a PS4 after Xmas cheap as chips, play some exclusives and same again a couple of years later with the PS5. Other options are to dip in out of PS now or to hold out for a PC release, which apparently PS are going to do more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm getting the X but I will be jealous of S owners. It's looks so nice.

Extremely small too, half the size of an original PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Series S won't have the same upgraded backward compatibility as the One X, it'll be the same BC as the One S. Another limitation of the reduced memory it seems.

I'm still very impressed by the Series S, but it's not for anyone that cares about BC. Then again, I'd guess that most people that really care about BC wouldn't be looking at the Series S anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭djan

CatInABox wrote: »
    Series S won't have the same upgraded backward compatibility as the One X, it'll be the same BC as the One S. Another limitation of the reduced memory it seems.

I'm still very impressed by the Series S, but it's not for anyone that cares about BC. Then again, I'd guess that most people that really care about BC wouldn't be looking at the Series S anyway.

What sort of compatibility would that be? I assume all Xbox One games would run fine? Or would this only impact the 360 ports?

Given that I'm mainly a PC gamer. The S makes more sense to me for the casual use but don't want to be let down when the X isn't all that much more. Currently have a One S and with a lot of games running at below 1080p it looks pretty rough...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

djan wrote: »
    What sort of compatibility would that be? I assume all Xbox One games would run fine? Or would this only impact the 360 ports?

Given that I'm mainly a PC gamer. The S makes more sense to me for the casual use but don't want to be let down when the X isn't all that much more. Currently have a One S and with a lot of games running at below 1080p it looks pretty rough...

All Xbox One games will run without any issues, but when it comes to improvements to resolution that Microsoft has been baking into their emulator for 360 and OG Xbox games, the Series S won't have them.
    “Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Something to bear in mind that even without a 4K monitor/TV you can still get an improvement when the game is running at a higher than 1080p native resolution, as the console can downsample it. This is an option on the current consoles at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm buying a series s on launch mainly due to BC as I didn't own an Xbox one. I'm open to getting a series x instead but I'm currently not seen that much of an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm buying a series s on launch mainly due to BC as I didn't own an Xbox one. I'm open to getting a series x instead but I'm currently not seen that much of an advantage.

For me it's future proofing although I could wait as I have an X, I can't see a new iteration that soon maybe 3/4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I am just wondering what kind of price are we going to be looking at for the X as 1TB is going to be tiny as you only get about 850GB of that to use as you have the Xbox os and formatting as well to think about

But anyway counting down the days now, day off booked in work as well, I probably won’t get to play it the day it comes out anyway as god only knows how big the downloads will be haha

I am just wondering what kind of price are we going to be looking at for the X as 1TB is going to be tiny as you only get about 850GB of that to use as you have the Xbox os and formatting as well to think about

But anyway counting down the days now, day off booked in work as well, I probably won’t get to play it the day it comes out anyway as god only knows how big the downloads will be haha

It's rumoured the expansion for the storage is €219. Storage is going to be expensive for a while due to the nvme requirements, PS5 is probably going to suffer a little more starting off due to the smaller ssd capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

It’s about 150 euros for a Samsung 1TB nvme so we will have the Xbox tag so 219 euros is about right

It’s just going to be a pin with the downloads and the data management as the likes of the new ass creed could be 90 plus GB !!!!

It’s about 150 euros for a Samsung 1TB nvme so we will have the Xbox tag so 219 euros is about right

It’s just going to be a pin with the downloads and the data management as the likes of the new ass creed could be 90 plus GB !!!!

You need to look at the speed of the ssds too. That Samsung is still significantly slower than the Xbox or PS5 drives.

• Advertisement

I think the way to go will be the same as it is now, a large external USB3 drive. The speeds transferring onto an SSD will be faster, so I don't think that it's going to be too much of a hassle.

I'd hope that they're streamlining the process of moving games between devices, removing as much pain as possible. In my ideal scenario, clicking on a game that's on an external drive should bring up a prompt that'll let you move it onto the SSD, and if there's not enough room on the SSD, then you'll be given the choice to move or delete your least played games.

In my eyes, it's not too different to how I'm operating with my one X now, but in reverse. I have my main frequently played games on my external SSD, and the rest on internal. If a game falls out of my regular rotation, it's off the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Am I the only one more excited about quick resume over everything else?

Am I the only one more excited about quick resume over everything else?

I can't wait. I've fully bought into the Game Pass experience, and regularly swap between games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I can't wait. I've fully bought into the Game Pass experience, and regularly swap between games.

Which takes ages. Often I would be like I’d like to play Forza or another game now but I have ‘insert game name’ on standby and it just takes too long to switch. I can see myself finishing loads more games with Quick Resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Took my one X into gamestop today, upgraded my loyalty status to level 3.

Got 260 euros trade credit for the console, dying light, and borderlands, the handsome collection (the only games I have physical copies of)

Roll on November 10th, 40 euros more and I'm ready to rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Got 260 euros trade credit for the console, dying light, and borderlands, the handsome collection (the only games I have physical copies of)

I’ve mine all boxed up for a couple of days. Might bring in it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Is that risky Incase you don’t get the preorder?

I’m thinking of doing the same

I have a boxed Scorpio , got it from GameStop as they offered 2x credit if trade in a ps4 pro

Got 500euro credit

Scorpio was 500

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hopefully they can meet demand this time around.
    Last time I was lucky as I got my pre-order at the midnight launch back in 2013. I was talking to a chap recently who told me he missed out on the pre-orders and had to wait 6 weeks to get his xbox one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I put down a deposit in Gamestop Dundrum for the X yesterday, totally forgot to ask where I was on the list. Just rang to ask and they said they weren't doing a list as of yet, they expect to have more than enough consoles. Said they were for the PS5 as interest seems to be much higher. Fools!

Pretty excited, and I know I should box up the One X here, and bring it in, but my son would kill me if I took away gamespass for the next two months!

Advertisement