Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

GBX wrote: »
    Lots of people going to be dissapointed getting their delivery when they find out they have ordered the One X instead of a Series X !

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/amazons-xbox-one-x-sales-rank-was-up-750-following-series-x-pre-orders/

I have very little sympathy for people that are stupid enough to confuse One X with Series X. If you're spending that kind of money, surely you do at least a tiny bit of research.

What's the story if you lose or destroy your receipt from an in person pre-order at Smyths? I got soaked this morning, forgot my receipt was still in the pocket of the coat I was wearing. It's not in great shape.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basil3 wrote: »
    What's the story if you lose or destroy your receipt from an in person pre-order at Smyths? I got soaked this morning, forgot my receipt was still in the pocket of the coat I was wearing. It's not in great shape.

Go back to the shop and they should be able to print another off. If you paid by card you should have the transaction number in your bank statement/account too which should be enough (I have returned items without a receipt in Argos using this before).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I have very little sympathy for people that are stupid enough to confuse One X with Series X. If you're spending that kind of money, surely you do at least a tiny bit of research.

In fairness there'll be many parents with little interest making that mistake when asked by their kids for an Xbox series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

You can still pre-order in Currys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've very little sympathy for people who lose or damage their receipts, If you're spending that kind of money, surely you'd take a little care.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

dan786 wrote: »
    You can still pre-order in Currys.

I ordered from them - a good use of my oneforall vouchers - but before I canceled my HN order - I noticed they hint they might not have stock on the day...

Also - after ordering, got cc deduction ok, but I never received an email from them like they said they would send :/

If you click on "Learn about Preorder process"

Step 3: The wait is over!
    We'll dispatch your order the day before release (subject to allocation*), ready to arrive on the release date.

hmm. probably fine..

“Roll it back”

I've very little sympathy for people who lose or damage their receipts, If you're spending that kind of money, surely you'd take a little care.

:pac:

Sure, money is nothing to me. Harvey Norman still have €1500 of mine, and haven't replied to my email about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell that's harsh.

There'll be lots of people who are not up to date with stuff trying to get it for their kids for Christmas.

Majority of people don't have a clue really and I'd blame Microsoft more for their silly naming protocals.

Xbox One (even though it was the 3rd console).
    Xbox One S
    Xbox One X
    Xbox Series X
    Xbox Series S

You don't see how people could confuse them.

They should have complete separate names or a number like Playstation.

If Amazon were decent they should contact the clients to see if that's what they really wanted but of course they won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

murpho999 wrote: »

There'll be lots of people who are not up to date with stuff trying to get it for their kids for Christmas.

Majority of people don't have a clue really and I'd blame Microsoft more for their silly naming protocals.

Xbox One S
    Xbox One X
    Xbox Series X
    Xbox Series S

If Amazon were decent they should contact the clients to see if that's what they really wanted but of course they won't do that.

A quick Google will tell you what's what's. If you're spending €500 on something you should at least have a quick look to see what exactly is it.

All it takes is searching "new Xbox"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

To be fair, for those people who ordered the wrong console Amazon has probably the best returns process out there so it's not the end of the world.

Might have sympathy for parents who were trying to get a console at launch and messed up in the rush, but not for those who are getting them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TitianGerm wrote: »
    A quick Google will tell you what's what's. If you're spending €500 on something you should at least have a quick look to see what exactly is it.

All it takes is searching "new Xbox"

Yes but what if they think they didn't need to Google it?

People on forums are a different breed and usually very internet/tech savvy.

An awful lot of people are not.

I know so many people who would have a problem and never dream of googling it which I can't understand but hey, we're all different.

Yes but what if they think they didn't need to Google it?

People on forums are a different breed and usually very internet/tech savvy.

An awful lot of people are not.

I know so many people who would have a problem and never dream of googling it which I can't understand but hey, we're all different.

If they don't think they need to Google it they're a bigger fool and fools are easily parted with thier money.

You don't need to be tech savvy to google and if they're not tech savvy they're more likely to walk into GameStop and ask for the new xbox.

Xbox One S
    Xbox One X
    Xbox Series X
    Xbox Series S

It's not harsh at all? If you're that easily confused, but you're capable of placing an order on Amazon, then you are in for a world of pain.

Basically you have to be oblivious to the fact it comes out in November, and that there are only preorders right now. Just search on Amazon for the Xbox thingy that costs $500 and click on buy now. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

If they don't think they need to Google it they're a bigger fool and fools are easily parted with thier money.

You don't need to be tech savvy to google and if they're not tech savvy they're more likely to walk into GameStop and ask for the new xbox.

One quick search on amazon for xbox one x and this links pops up, its even on pre order which would make it even more confusing for a parent. What if you walk into a gamestop and they said sorry new xbox sold out so you pop online?

Nintendo did the same, Wii and Wii U, Wii U didnt have its own identity and failed big time, not saying it was because of the name but it couldnt of helped

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-One-Robot-White-Special/dp/B08FBT98BG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+x&qid=1600948269&sr=8-1

One quick search on amazon for xbox one x and this links pops up, its even on pre order which would make it even more confusing for a parent. What if you walk into a gamestop and they said sorry new xbox sold out so you pop online?

Nintendo did the same, Wii and Wii U, Wii U didnt have its own identity and failed big time, not saying it was because of the name but it couldnt of helped

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-One-Robot-White-Special/dp/B08FBT98BG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+x&qid=1600948269&sr=8-1

If you search Xbox on Amazon the Series X is the first thing to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

It's not harsh at all? If you're that easily confused, but you're capable of placing an order on Amazon, then you are in for a world of pain.

Basically you have to be oblivious to the fact it comes out in November, and that there are only preorders right now. Just search on Amazon for the Xbox thingy that costs $500 and click on buy now. Job done.
    A wholly unempathetic pair of responses still coming from a position of knowledge about the product and technology in general.

I'd be surprised if you didn't know a single mammy or granny in your life trying to do well by their kids or grandkids this Christmas who'd be theoretically capable of mucking this up.

I agree people can be thick, but you'd get the odd poor soul whose just made a hames of it. I wouldn't be getting all Comic Book Guy and fulfilling nerdom cliche at their expense.

A wholly unempathetic pair of responses still coming from a position of knowledge about the product and technology in general.

I'd be surprised if you didn't know a single mammy or granny in your life trying to do well by their kids or grandkids this Christmas who'd be theoretically capable of mucking this up.

I agree people can be thick, but you'd get the odd poor soul whose just made a hames of it. I wouldn't be getting all Comic Book Guy and fulfilling nerdom cliche at their expense.

On one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand I'd say that if you're spending €500, you'd want to be pretty sure you know what you're buying. If you're not sure, then I'm sure all of these mammies and grannies have somebody in their life that can help them out.

I've heard it suggested that some mistaken Xbox One X orders were people using bots who hadn't configured them correctly.

A bit of self responsibility would go a long way.

You shouldn't be spending large sums of money without doing a small amount of research.

Typing Xbox into Google will bring you to the Microsoft store where the first thing you see is the new console.

The vast majority buying will be talking about the presents their kids want in work, to family or to friends. The child will show the parent pictures or videos of the new console on the phone, tablet, Smyths catalogue.

My mother who still has an non smart phone and doesn't use the internet was still able to tell me last week that the new Xbox and Playstation were coming out and one looks like a little fridge. She knew because my little cousin was in the house telling her they were coming and was laughing because one looks like a mini fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

If they ordered a One X by mistake, they'll know in a few days when it arrives surely.

I read that a lot of those orders were by misconfigured bots, let's hope that's the case. But I do think Microsoft could have done better with the naming conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

It's like the Resident Evil movies. I shouldn't have to google what order to watch them in.

MS could've done better, I think they were just trying to imitate phone naming conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭djan

Currently have a One S and with games struggling to run at decent resolution/fps and looking to upgrade. How would the 1tb One X second hand compare to getting the Series S? Price wise the X would come in cheaper and with double the storage (albeit much slower) . Will the alleged performance gain of the new S be significant enough to offset the lower storage coupled with a higher price?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

On one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand I'd say that if you're spending €500, you'd want to be pretty sure you know what you're buying. If you're not sure, then I'm sure all of these mammies and grannies have somebody in their life that can help them out.
    A bit of self responsibility would go a long way.

You shouldn't be spending large sums of money without doing a small amount of research.

Typing Xbox into Google will bring you to the Microsoft store where the first thing you see is the new console.

The vast majority buying will be talking about the presents their kids want in work, to family or to friends. The child will show the parent pictures or videos of the new console on the phone, tablet, Smyths catalogue.

My mother who still has an non smart phone and doesn't use the internet was still able to tell me last week that the new Xbox and Playstation were coming out and one looks like a little fridge. She knew because my little cousin was in the house telling her they were coming and was laughing because one looks like a mini fridge.
    Fair points, as well. I'm just a bleeding heart sometimes.

As you were :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've heard it suggested that some mistaken Xbox One X orders were people using bots who hadn't configured them correctly.

Yes, the general consensus online (among the internet security people I follow) is that scalpers had their bots ready to go at 8:00, but Amazon didn't get the Series X page online until well after 8:10. This meant that any bot not set to exact match would have landed on the One X page, and ordered one (or more) straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, the general consensus online (among the internet security people I follow) is that scalpers had their bots ready to go at 8:00, but Amazon didn't get the Series X page online until well after 8:10. This meant that any bot not set to exact match would have landed on the One X page, and ordered one (or more) straight away.
    There should be a strict 'No take back, no quitsies' policy for any scalper who got burned on that :D

djan wrote: »
    Currently have a One S and with games struggling to run at decent resolution/fps and looking to upgrade. How would the 1tb One X second hand compare to getting the Series S? Price wise the X would come in cheaper and with double the storage (albeit much slower) . Will the alleged performance gain of the new S be significant enough to offset the lower storage coupled with a higher price?

I dunno.

I run my One X with an external SSD for improved loading times (and improved in-game performance in the case of PUBG). If I got a Series S, I'd probably use an external HDD of some sort for added storage.

Personally, I'd probably go for the Series S, just because it's new. If you want a One X, I'll be selling one of mine in pretty much brand new condition, boxed etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see a few people on other forums have received emails from Smyths in the UK stating that their pre-orders have been cancelled. It seems like it's affecting All Access pre-orders only, so hopefully it won't happen to people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

djan wrote: »

I wouldn't bother with the One X, they currently cost nearly as much as a Series S for a second hand one. Only caveat is that the Series S has no disc drive.

The Series S will play the latest games in a few years, the One X probably won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I dunno.

I run my One X with an external SSD for improved loading times (and improved in-game performance in the case of PUBG). If I got a Series S, I'd probably use an external HDD of some sort for added storage.

It is important to note though that you need to run ALL Xbox Series S/X enhanced games from the SSD drive in order for the velocity architecture on Series S and X to work. A standard HDD drive is completely useless to you unless you are going to move games to and from the SSD drive in order to run them.

The SSD is precisely the way Microsoft get around the lower RAM count on the Series S. Remember you only get 10GB RAM on the Series S of which only 7.5GB is available for games. Velocity needs the SSD to work in conjunction with the RAM/SOC (hardware accelerated) to enable the 100GB of assets and memory multipliers. Without the SSD no next gen backwards compatible game will run.

ALL next gen and next gen backwards compatible games HAVE to be built on the velocity architecture. For example, you cannot play One X enhanced games on your Series S because the One X enhanced games were coded to use 9GB of RAM (12GB total) available on the One X compared to the 7.5GB RAM available of the Series S.

Any game that wants to make use of the Series S/X hardware, needs to either be built on velocity or patched to use it. What that means is that instead of having One X enhanced games available on the Series S, you will instead have to run the One S (Base Versions) of the games which obviously wont run or look as good as they can.

Now the difference is that One X enhanced games WILL run on Series X because the Series X has 16GB RAM or which I believe 12GB is available for games. So the bottle neck (if you can even call it that) only exists with Series S console.

The Series S could of course run ALL of the games that the Series X can run IF the developers went back and patched all the games, but they are not going to do that and i'm not surprised.

My advise, ONLY use a normal HDD for games that are not velocity enabled, and when they are available, buy a 1TB expansion card for the Series S which should give you plenty of room for your top 5-8 games, boosting you to 1.5TB storage.

I personally am not going to bother with my USB 3.0 HDD on the Series X and will instead just pick up a 1TB expansion card asap bringing me up to 2TB.

Sorry... I went off on one there...

EDIT - Microsoft have just confirmed the price of the expansion cards is €250. Pre-Orders starting soon. I'm not going to bother with one for now, maybe in a few months.

Advertisement