Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

I notice that if you get a good exchange rate, the Series S is only about €275 on Amazon

I wouldn't go for it myself and I tend to agree with the comments above regarding false economy etc. But nevertheless, 275 for a new console on launch day makes it very accessible for casual gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is extremely harsh. A lot of the time it's some kids ignorant ma who is making the order. Not everyone's ma is as savvy as you'd like them to be. Confusing "One X" with "Series X" is very understandable and is not the fault of the mammy, it's Microsoft being idiots!

Here's an example:

Back a few years ago, my ma wanted to watch the Oscar-winning, Steven Spielberg movie "Lincoln". I had a media player that I attached to my mother's TV and I had hundreds of movies on there. I added Lincoln, showed her how to use it briefly and went out.

When I came back, I asked her what she thought of the movie. She wasn't very impressed! She was confused as the lead actor looked nothing like Daniel Day Lewis and really questioned the historical accuracy of the movie.

Having not watched it yet, I asked "What part in particular?"

Her reply: "Well......... what was with the vampires?"

She had, of course, watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!
    There's some talk on Reddit that the reason for an increase in orders for Xbox One X on Amazon.com was because some scalpers had not correctly configured their bots, and the Amazon page for the Series X didn't go live at exactly 9:00 PST so the badly configured bots went and ordered the One X.

In these cases, there's should be a full 'no take back' policy from Amazon. If you used a bot and couldn't configure it correctly, then the orders are on you.

This is extremely harsh. A lot of the time it's some kids ignorant ma who is making the order. Not everyone's ma is as savvy as you'd like them to be. Confusing "One X" with "Series X" is very understandable and is not the fault of the mammy, it's Microsoft being idiots!

Here's an example:

Back a few years ago, my ma wanted to watch the Oscar-winning, Steven Spielberg movie "Lincoln". I had a media player that I attached to my mother's TV and I had hundreds of movies on there. I added Lincoln, showed her how to use it briefly and went out.

When I came back, I asked her what she thought of the movie. She wasn't very impressed! She was confused as the lead actor looked nothing like Daniel Day Lewis and really questioned the historical accuracy of the movie.

Having not watched it yet, I asked "What part in particular?"

Her reply: "Well......... what was with the vampires?"

She had, of course, watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!

Would she be as easily confused if she had to pay €500 to watch the movie?

I understand there's eejits everywhere....but somewhere you have to draw the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Basil3 wrote: »
    Would she be as easily confused if she had to pay €500 to watch the movie?

If she would watch Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter over Lincoln, then you can see that she might make the same mistake between something called "Xbox One X" and "Xbox Series X".

You fail to take into consideration that the people making these purchases don't live in the world that you do (and are obviously the smartest person in).

In a normal case, if it was a birthday present, their child could pretty much go to the shop with them and pick it up. But when they're trying to play Santa, and they have to mention very little to the kid, it doesn't help that both consoles are almost identically named.

If she would watch Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter over Lincoln, then you can see that she might make the same mistake between something called "Xbox One X" and "Xbox Series X".

You fail to take into consideration that the people making these purchases don't live in the world that you do (and are obviously the smartest person in).

In a normal case, if it was a birthday present, their child could pretty much go to the shop with them and pick it up. But when they're trying to play Santa, and they have to mention very little to the kid, it doesn't help that both consoles are almost identically named.

I know what you're saying, but you mother confusing a movie isn't even close to her going out and spending €500 on the wrong thing for you at Xmas time.

It really comes down to how much the parents take an interest in their kids, imo. If it's something your kid really really wants, and it's going to cost a tonne of money, and you still manage to mess it up despite probably having multiple people in your life that can help you ensure you're getting the right thing, then I don't know.

Now I just need to wait for Xmas morning when one of my kids tells me I got them the wrong thing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Currys/PC World took a fiver from me as a deposit yesterday, still haven't received an email.

Not the end of the World, I don't NEED a series X first day but I wouldn't MIND one.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Birneybau wrote: »
    Currys/PC World took a fiver from me as a deposit yesterday, still haven't received an email.

Not the end of the World, I don't NEED a series X first day but I wouldn't MIND one.

They said they’re in the process of emailing them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I see in smyths you can still pre order series s. Is it that Microsoft could and did gets tons more of these made as per their size and so more in stock when released or is no one going for this version as such and the demand isn't there at moment? I am sure will sell out closer to Xmas etc. But I would of thought they would of sold out pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Goose81

I was humming about what to buy. I barely use the ps4 I had and I sold it last week so I decided to buy a series S

I'm not a hard core gamer at all, really all I do is play FIFA so I'm think I got a good deal trading a base ps4 and buying a series s for 100 euro.

What you guys think?
    Sold the ps4 last week for 200 and just bought a series s for 300. I think that's a smart move right? I assume the s is way better than a big standard ps4..

For the bare amount I will use it an X was way overkill , was thinking about a ps4 digital and then was thinking for the amount it gets used no point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Goose81 wrote: »
    I was humming about what to buy. I barely use the ps4 I had and I sold it last week so I decided to buy a series S

I'm not a hard core gamer at all, really all I do is play FIFA so I'm think I got a good deal trading a base ps4 and buying a series s for 100 euro.

What you guys think?
    yea the series s a good console for causal gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Birneybau wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. Thought I put in the wrong email....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Bought the Control UE earlier in the week and it seems that it may be possible to download the Series S|X version to an external using an Xbox One.

This may be useful come launch now that you can download any Xbox game, even without having a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Just in GameStop today confirmed that my pre order is all ok the one I placed last month,

Traded in my one x and 3 games and with the GameStop lv2 trade in bonus got 312 euros for everything how bad, with the 50 euro deposit means I have 138 euros to pay on day 1 delighted

Still no clue what games I am going to get day one ? I think just ass creed

Have no Xbox for a few weeks but have my switch to keep me going :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Someone took the X and S down to Ikea. Looks like the X fits into most of them comfortably enough, even the Kallax one.

See here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr.S wrote: »
    The X looks really odd on it's side though. They really are massive.

All my games are digital though, so it will be behind the tv out of sight.

Yeah, glad I have the space to have it vertical beside my TV, I really like the look when it's vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like the green fan on the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I like the green fan on the console.

It's actually just green colouring, on the circular vents. But still nice.

Just in GameStop today confirmed that my pre order is all ok the one I placed last month,

Traded in my one x and 3 games and with the GameStop lv2 trade in bonus got 312 euros for everything how bad, with the 50 euro deposit means I have 138 euros to pay on day 1 delighted

Still no clue what games I am going to get day one ? I think just ass creed

Have no Xbox for a few weeks but have my switch to keep me going :)

Went in on Tuesday and traded in xbox x etc and paid it then, by any chance did they say in there looks like most people OK in regards to getting one on day 1 or when people will be informed if they will get one etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd love to know how many units they made available for pre-order in Japan. They "sold" out in 20 minutes, but that means nothing if they only had a few hundred consoles!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'd love to know how many units they made available for pre-order in Japan. They "sold" out in 20 minutes, but that means nothing if they only had a few hundred consoles!

That's still a good feat considering how poorly the Xbox(all generations) has sold over there over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Went in on Tuesday and traded in xbox x etc and paid it then, by any chance did they say in there looks like most people OK in regards to getting one on day 1 or when people will be informed if they will get one etc.?

Basicly what I got from them is that I am ok as I pre ordered weeks before, however when did you pre order ?, they are 100% sold out of them loads of people came in after me wonting to pre order one and all are told it could be before Christmas or it could be next year they don’t know.

So if you got in early you should be ok.

However I know with the switch I made up my mind last minute, called GameStop to see do they have one ?, they had a last min cancel and two remaining told them I be in soon, went in and paid off in full and job done.

So people will end up getting lucky on the Xbox as there will be people cancelling them

Speaking of Xbox in Japan it’s worse then you think there, you know the forgotten corner of a shop that might have ps vita games, that’s how many Xbox games you will get in Japan, there is next to none, there was more PSP games in must stores then Xbox one games !!!,

The Xbox just has no games for the Japan market, you be on the tube and the videos be playing for the latest games and you would see no Xbox games at all just switch or PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's still a good feat considering how poorly the Xbox(all generations) has sold over there over the years.

True enough. Was just looking up Japanese sales figures there for the XB1. Just over 100K as of February this year. That's amazingly bad. They'll surely beat that with the Series S/X.

Basicly what I got from them is that I am ok as I pre ordered weeks before, however when did you pre order ?, they are 100% sold out of them loads of people came in after me wonting to pre order one and all are told it could be before Christmas or it could be next year they don’t know.

So if you got in early you should be ok.

However I know with the switch I made up my mind last minute, called GameStop to see do they have one ?, they had a last min cancel and two remaining told them I be in soon, went in and paid off in full and job done.

So people will end up getting lucky on the Xbox as there will be people cancelling them

Speaking of Xbox in Japan it’s worse then you think there, you know the forgotten corner of a shop that might have ps vita games, that’s how many Xbox games you will get in Japan, there is next to none, there was more PSP games in must stores then Xbox one games !!!,

The Xbox just has no games for the Japan market, you be on the tube and the videos be playing for the latest games and you would see no Xbox games at all just switch or PS4
    I literally just went in on Tuesday traded my xbox one x and 3 games and paid it off fully then for the xbox series x. Suppose I have the ps5 pre ordered in smyths for the nephew and in gamestop last year for myself so I will have a next gen console one way or other come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Has anyone else still not received any confirmation from pc world? Pre ordered on the Tuesday batch but never received a confirmation. Only the 5€ taken

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    True enough. Was just looking up Japanese sales figures there for the XB1. Just over 100K as of February this year. That's amazingly bad. They'll surely beat that with the Series S/X.

No matter how many they sell, I think that they may choose to just push xCloud and Game Pass over there. They're really pushing it in South Korea, seemingly far more than the actual boxes themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Has anyone else still not received any confirmation from pc world? Pre ordered on the Tuesday batch but never received a confirmation. Only the 5€ taken

Yep

Also this is on their site:
    Due to the high demand, you may experience a delay in receiving your order confirmation email once your order is placed, but please don’t worry – we have your order!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In relation to play and charge kits.

Will my existing one work on new controller provided I use a USB -C cable with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

murpho999 wrote: »
    In relation to play and charge kits.

Will my existing one work on new controller provided I use a USB -C cable with it?

If you're asking will the batteries be interchangeable between the old and new controllers, I don't think that question's been answered.

The xbox website lists it as being compatible with xbox controllers with a USB-C port, but if the battery is the same dimensions as the one's that fit into a micro usb controller, then I don't see why not.

I wouldn't bank on it just yet though, until somebody else has tried it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

marcbrophy wrote: »
    If you're asking will the batteries be interchangeable between the old and new controllers, I don't think that question's been answered.

The xbox website lists it as being compatible with xbox controllers with a USB-C port, but if the battery is the same dimensions as the one's that fit into a micro usb controller, then I don't see why not.

I wouldn't bank on it just yet though, until somebody else has tried it! :)

It appears to be the same battery, just a different cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It appears to be the same battery, just a different cable.

Yeah its the same battery just with a USB-C as opposed to a USB-Micro.

Advertisement