Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I know PS fans might scoff at this, but I'm really looking forward to playing through some of the previous gen games that I missed, with backwards compatibility at their highest quality on the Series X.

The digital foundry video is a sign of great things to come in terms of performance from the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just saw earlier on in the ps5 thread that some people have gotten an email from gamestop saying sorry but you will not be getting the ps5 it looks till 2021. Anyone get anything like that from Gamestop in regards the xbox as I presume they have just contacted them in regards to online orders ? I traded in on day went live there in store last wk so just wondering anyone here anything, thanks.

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Just saw earlier on in the ps5 thread that some people have gotten an email from gamestop saying sorry but you will not be getting the ps5 it looks till 2021. Anyone get anything like that from Gamestop in regards the xbox as I presume they have just contacted them in regards to online orders ? I traded in on day went live there in store last wk so just wondering anyone here anything, thanks.

I know there are still Series S in stock in Gamestop, I preordered one yesterday for someone and its showing as in stock for collection on Nov 10th. It probably depends on the store.

Send the PS5 lads over here, we'll make them feel welcome :-D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Series S finally seems to be out of stock on microsoft.com. I'm hoping digital foundry et al get their hands on one soon, would like to see what kind of performance it gets compared to the X stuff we saw yesterday. If it really is the "same" bar at 1440p vs 4k it's a no brainer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I’m jumping on Xbox for the first time this year...

Does anyone know, if I for example get AC Valhalla on Xbox, what happens to the benefits I’ve racked up through playing all previous AC games on PS through Ubisoft?

Is there any major downside in playing some games on one console family and some on another?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I’m jumping on Xbox for the first time this year...

Does anyone know, if I for example get AC Valhalla on Xbox, what happens to the benefits I’ve racked up through playing all previous AC games on PS through Ubisoft?

Is there any major downside in playing some games on one console family and some on another?

You should still be able to use the same Ubisoft account for that sort of thing I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Will a 60fps screen be an utter let down for the new xbox or would it still show it in its best light...I know nothing about the matter and hence the question...are most games 60fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Vudgie wrote: »
    Will a 60fps screen be an utter let down for the new xbox or would it still show it in its best light...I know nothing about the matter and hence the question...are most games 60fps?

A 60hz screen will be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Vudgie wrote: »

Most games this gen were 30 fps btw on consoles.

You should check if your TV can do 120 fps at 1080p or 1440p. Mine can 120 fps on 1440p and 1080p, so that could be an option for you. Playing at 120 fps at 1440p/1080p with super sampling will look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You should still be able to use the same Ubisoft account for that sort of thing I'm pretty sure.

Thanks, that does make sense, as long as I’m logging into the same publisher account on whatever console

I suppose I’m just nervous of starting to divide my game library and then suffering as a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭djan

A 60hz screen will be more than enough for even the Series X for most games as they will run at 60fps 4k. Even with that I am a bit skeptical of the X being able to handle 60fps 4k on next gen games unless raytracing etc. will be hugely turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Series S finally seems to be out of stock on microsoft.com. I'm hoping digital foundry et al get their hands on one soon, would like to see what kind of performance it gets compared to the X stuff we saw yesterday. If it really is the "same" bar at 1440p vs 4k it's a no brainer for me.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing them test it, hopefully it'll be soon. If the Series S can do everything the Series X can at 1440p it'll be a great piece of kit but I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

xtal191 wrote: »
    If the Series S can do everything the Series X can at 1440p it'll be a great piece of kit but I have my doubts

I would highly doubt the S can do everything the X can do at 1440p. Infact i would bet my Series X on it. The numbers don't add up.

CPU wise, both consoles are there or there abouts with the X having a slightly higher clock. So I dont see the CPU being an issue.

But the GPU and RAM is a different story.

Series X - 12.15 Teraflops, 52 CUs
    Series S - 4 Teraflops, 20 CUs

One X - 6 Teraflops, 40 CUs

I know the architecture is massively different from the One X to the Series S BUT i know alot of people who are buying the Series S for Gamepass and backward compatibility. So that means the games that are going to be played are previous Gen and wont make use of the velocity architecture. Instead the Series S will be running in "Compatibility" mode just like the Series X so I really cant see the S having a massive advantage over the current One X. The CPU will make a difference though.

The RAM clocks are also significantly slower on the Series S compared to the Series X and there is less RAM. It is clear that from watching reviews and from reading tech anaylsis, it's the RAM that is kinda causing a bottle neck this time around. We have massive leaps in GPU and SSD, but the same cant be said for Memory.

Couple slower Memory, less Memory and a significantly slower GPU on the S and I don't see how it can compete with the Series X, even at 1440p.

I still think the Series S for the money is an amazing console and it will give gamers access to next gen titles that will make use of the velocity architecture. But purely as a game pass and backward compatibility device, the jury is still very much out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ZiabR wrote: »
    I would highly doubt the S can do everything the X can do at 1440p. Infact i would bet my Series X on it. The numbers don't add up.

CPU wise, both consoles are there or there abouts with the X having a slightly higher clock. So I dont see the CPU being an issue.

But the GPU and RAM is a different story.

Series X - 12.15 Teraflops, 52 CUs
    Series S - 4 Teraflops, 20 CUs

One X - 6 Teraflops, 40 CUs

I know the architecture is massively different from the One X to the Series S BUT i know alot of people who are buying the Series S for Gamepass and backward compatibility. So that means the games that are going to be played are previous Gen and wont make use of the velocity architecture. Instead the Series S will be running in "Compatibility" mode just like the Series X so I really cant see the S having a massive advantage over the current One X. The CPU will make a difference though.

The RAM clocks are also significantly slower on the Series S compared to the Series X and there is less RAM. It is clear that from watching reviews and from reading tech anaylsis, it's the RAM that is kinda causing a bottle neck this time around. We have massive leaps in GPU and SSD, but the same cant be said for Memory.

Couple slower Memory, less Memory and a significantly slower GPU on the S and I don't see how it can compete with the Series X, even at 1440p.

I still think the Series S for the money is an amazing console and it will give gamers access to next gen titles that will make use of the velocity architecture. But purely as a game pass and backward compatibility device, the jury is still very much out.

At a wild guess the CPU is far, far superior than what was in the One X so they must be using that more in the series S and in the One X they used GPU grunt.
    Also the GPU in the Series X/S is better also than what was in the One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Also the GPU in the Series X/S is better also than what was in the One X.

But not necessarily in compatibility mode, which is what it will run in for previous gen games. Series X is dropping frames in compatibility mode and we know its running at full clock speed. So the S will drop more based on its lower clock speeds and less RAM. That being said you cant run One X enhanced games on the Series S so it will be impossible to do a direct comparison of the One X and Series S.

So it would seem the comparisons are going to be Series X / One X and Series S / One S.

The CPU is on par with the PS5, actually slightly better. GPU short comings are offset by targeting 1440p, upscaled to 4k.

I know on my own PC the performance hit of 1440p over 1080p is huge and I know its the same going 1440p to 4k.

Will be interesting how the tests go but I'd be fairly optimistic.

Hope I hurt nobody's feelings here: Prefer XBox over PS5 myself - Eli the computer guy's take on the state of affairs stateside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Def3Cm6Xxw8

Hope I hurt nobody's feelings here: Prefer XBox over PS5 myself - Eli the computer guy's take on the state of affairs stateside

Is it an inventory problem or just that they physically can't all be shipped and delivered on time? Im guessing the later.

There's also the very real possibility that you won't get one this side of Christmas. Is that hype or production delays due to a global pandemic?

On the flip side, I see no reason to delay ordering. Why would I bother waiting? Its been no hassle at all. I walked into a shop and ordered it, simple. I even went online 2 days ago and ordered a Series S for somebody else, no hassle whatsoever even at this late stage. Few clicks on a website, credit card details, done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

I pre-ordered from Microsoft.com but who actually delivers the console is it a courier like DPD or An Post? if anyone knows maybe someone who ordered a one x with them and sorry if this was already asked. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Stichy wrote: »
    I pre-ordered from Microsoft.com but who actually delivers the console is it a courier like DPD or An Post? if anyone knows maybe someone who ordered a one x with them and sorry if this was already asked. Cheers
    UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hesbnotnwronng with his take on the everything now generation and the fact they are more interested in creating "content" than playing games.

His December 25st joke at start was bang in the money for me, it was actually a console to share with my brothers not this console each malarkey you hear about nowadays

recyclops wrote: »
    Hesbnotnwronng with his take on the everything now generation and the fact they are more interested in creating "content" than playing games.

His December 25st joke at start was bang in the money for me, it was actually a console to share with my brothers not this console each malarkey you hear about nowadays

I dunno. It's true when you were a kid that you had to wait for something like that from your parents, but I can remember putting down a deposit and queueing up for midnight launch of the PS2. I was still a student, but old enough to save and pay for it myself at that stage.

These days gaming isn't just a kids thing. There's plenty of adults with disposable income who are the ones driving this whole preorder thing. I can guarantee virtually every kid under 10 on my street who wants the new console will be waiting until Xmas, just like he did when he was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

Kid under 10 for sure but kids up to 16 should be too unless they have saved a fair whack , I was still sharing consoles when ps2 came out and I was just 16.

Ps I may have hit report by accident on your post haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

recyclops wrote: »
    Kid under 10 for sure but kids up to 16 should be too unless they have saved a fair whack , I was still sharing consoles when ps2 came out and I was just 16.

Ps I may have hit report by accident on your post haha

Same, PS2 was the first big console I bought. It wasn't even for me, I got it for my brother for his 21st. We already shared a PS2 so I ended up with the original one, which then ended up with the dreaded disc read error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Completed my trade in for the One S(€138) and the PS4 Pro(€287.50), got a combined €425.50 trade value leaving me with €24.50 to pay off for the Series X.

Where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Same, PS2 was the first big console I bought. It wasn't even for me, I got it for my brother for his 21st. We already shared a PS2 so I ended up with the original one, which then ended up with the dreaded disc read error.

My first console was a used SNES in 1998. I was 14. I had two games.

Then my younger brother got a Gamecube for Christmas years later and I played with it more than he did and bought nearly all the games we had for it. That's when I started playing games properly and bought a second hand original Xbox, then onto Xbox 360, PC gaming then Xbox One. And a Xbox One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,768 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Do we think more X's will be made available for pre order before release date? If so what sites should I keep an eye on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I got a NES when I was so young I don't even remember getting it....just remember playing it as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Where was this?

GameStop.

The trade boost for the PS4 Pro ends tomorrow.

€250 trade atm plus 5-15% depending on your membership level.

Advertisement