Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

You probably have a high spec machine. I'm wondering how much would you need to spend to get a pc with similar performance? Gotta be 1000+ easily.

Oh yeah, 1k just for the cpu and gpu alone. I had planned on building a new pc this year but I'm going to pick up a Series X instead and hold off a year or 2 until pc blows the consoles away again

You probably have a high spec machine. I'm wondering how much would you need to spend to get a pc with similar performance? Gotta be 1000+ easily.

I'd say probably around the €1000 would get you there but then you'd have to factor in your monitor, etc if you didn't have one.

The new console looks great though and will be night and day difference with current gen i'd say. Not going to be cheap though.

Oh yeah, 1k just for the cpu and gpu alone. I had planned on building a new pc this year but I'm going to pick up a Series X instead and hold off a year or 2 until pc blows the consoles away again

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. To be honest, I cant justify keeping up with upgrades on both console and pc. Series X could well make PC gaming redundant for me. Yes of course PC will surpass it but I just cant justify trying to keep up with both. And there'll be a new xbox in 3 years anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I have a gaming PC and cannot use KB&M. There is a learning curve that I tried once or twice for a few minutes and gave up. Controller feels more natural to me. That is from years of playing consoles.

I felt the same initially. Built my first PC back in 2013. Now, I can't use a controller for FPS at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Noisy is not something I've ever heard before to describe the X. Mine is whisper quiet. Sounds like you've got something wrong there, maybe you haven't given the vents enough space or something.

Oh I assume something is wrong, not really in a place to do anything about it though, suck it up until the end of the year and then trade it. The thing shut itself off once in the middle of a game of Rocket League. It's in a TV unit with lots of space, nothing blocking vents. When a HDR game kicks in it starts to take off. I'll get a video later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Do ye reckon there might be shortages around launch because of the pandemic. More than usual, I mean.

When they say holiday 2020, they mean December? Looks like a magnificent beast of a console, I'll be aiming for day 1. (As long as there's some kind of normality in the world come December..)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

fifth wrote: »
    (As long as there's some kind of normality in the world come December..)

December. I hope there will be normality for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,085 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fifth wrote: »
    Do ye reckon there might be shortages around launch because of the pandemic. More than usual, I mean.

When they say holiday 2020, they mean December? Looks like a magnificent beast of a console, I'll be aiming for day 1. (As long as there's some kind of normality in the world come December..)

Holidays normally means around Thanksgiving doesn't it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Holidays normally means around Thanksgiving doesn't it?

No, the "Holidays" over there means Christmas time.

Personally I wouldn't be too surprised if they were originally going to spring a surprise and release around September time, but now with Covid-19 around now it's all up in the air.

Holidays just means late Q4. It can include both thanksgiving and xmas. It's not specific beyond Nov/Dec. They would certainly like to get it out in time for Black Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

What are people’s thoughts on how much this will actually cost? €500-€600

I wonder what they’ll give you when you trade in the Xbox one x?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    What are people’s thoughts on how much this will actually cost? €500-€600

I wonder what they’ll give you when you trade in the Xbox one x?
    well Gamestop were given €260 a while back but it now €220 just hoping it doesn't drop anymore because xbox x getting cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just FYI, I wouldn't be putting any money down with Gamestop anytime soon, it really looks like the virus will finish them off for good. Once they go into administration, there's no way that you're going to get any money back off them.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just FYI, I wouldn't be putting any money down with Gamestop anytime soon, it really looks like the virus will finish them off for good. Once they go into administration, there's no way that you're going to get any money back off them.
    It unlikely they survive 2020 but 2021 anybody guess the new consoles are out this year.

Were the best place to preorder xbox series x when it comes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,085 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob808 wrote: »

I'd say Amazon if going online. Smyth's if looking for a B&M store. I'd avoid GameStop for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd possibly go the MS store route if it's an option...

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd possibly go the MS store route if it's an option...
    yea I was think that how long would delivery take I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I would say it would be in your hands on launch day, same with Amazon though I would suspect, at least with MS you have a lot more comeback I would guess if something goes wrong...

Fieldog wrote: »
    I would say it would be in your hands on launch day, same with Amazon though I would suspect, at least with MS you have a lot more comeback I would guess if something goes wrong...
    yea definitely that what I do have better chance of getting series x over the ps5.

• Advertisement

I ordered the Xbox One through Microsoft, got delivered on release day, a bit late, but the delivery guy was exhausted, he'd been doing nothing but One deliveries all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Anything I ordered from Microsoft was sent from the UK using UPS and was delivered in two days.

I picked up my One X at midnight in Smyths so will buy this new console from Smyths also. I was late picking up a Xbox One it was a year or two old when I picked one up from Argos. But I was gaming heavy on PC at the time so thought I didn't need one.

I picked up my One X at midnight in Smyths so will buy this new console from Smyths also. I was late picking up a Xbox One it was a year or two old when I picked one up from Argos. But I was gaming heavy on PC at the time so thought I didn't need one.
    yea smyth are pretty good doh don't think I do a midnight launch.

sugarman wrote: »
    Id be very conscious of preordering from certain retailers given the current economic climate between Brexit and the Coronavirus impact. Some could shut up shop over night, be it pulling out of the Irish market like Game did.. or going bust like Virgin/Zavi and HMV/Xtravision did in the last recession.

Id defo avoid Gamestop anyway, theyre already in big trouble.

Direct from Microsoft or Amazon seems the safest bet, or risk trying to source one locally without preordering on release day.
    İm kinda screwed in someway I trade in 6 games in ages ago when gamestop wasn't in trouble they were given €50 for trade in. The only way I can spend my preorder money is through perorder games.There much I can do but hope they survive to get my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I use my Xbox one s mainly for 4K blu rays. I rarely game on it apart from Gears 5 which was free on game pass. My PS4 is just better with better games and a far more easier to use dashboard. But the Series X looks amazing and I love the switching between games so quickly. I am 100% pre-ordering one.

sugarman wrote: »
    Why not use it to preorder games then? Surely theres something you'll want in the next few months? Or even if you dont, you can sell them on for cash.

Gamestop are struggling financially, closing stores left, right and centre, and this was before the virus. There's a good chance that these guys will completely collapse over the next few weeks, never mind months.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Gamestop are struggling financially, closing stores left, right and centre, and this was before the virus. There's a good chance that these guys will completely collapse over the next few weeks, never mind months.

It's no surprise when my only dealings with them over the last few years has been:

- Upgrading a used Xbox One to One S for €70
    - Upgrading this One S to a One X a year or two later for just over €100
    - Upgrading another used One S to a One X for just over €100

No idea how they make any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

I've a few quid stuck on both the PS5 and the Xbox in my local GameStop. Hope they make it through.

• Advertisement

I can understand the need for the NVMe SSD card MS are bringing out but it will be expensive. I wonder can you hook up a USB HD just to store games as that's what I do now. I transfer games from and to the HD when I want to play or am finished playing a game.

As that way the internal NVMe SSD will be enough for everybody. I hope they do allow that as I also have really slow internet so can't be constantly downloading really large game files when I want to play a game.

Advertisement