Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

GameStop.

The trade boost for the PS4 Pro ends tomorrow.

€250 trade atm plus 5-15% depending on your membership level.

Is the trade boost for other consoles as well? Did you get more for your Xbox S as well, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

druss wrote: »
    Is the trade boost for other consoles as well? Did you get more for your Xbox S as well, for example?

I did not receive more for the Xbox One S, only the PS4 Pro and the Nintendo Switch are boosted to €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I did not receive more for the Xbox One S, only the PS4 Pro and the Nintendo Switch are boosted to €250.

Cheers. I am trading in my One X. My Switch is staying put.

No need for me to run into town tomorrow so, other than that the tradable games might change on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Thanks again for pointing out that GS deal.
    Just wondering, how did you deal with PS5 possibly not being able to use saves from PS4? Seems to be the case with a lot of games from news recently.

I’m considering trading mine in today, but if I put all my saves on a USB and they end up not working with PS5 I’ll be gutted...

Thanks again for pointing out that GS deal.
    Just wondering, how did you deal with PS5 possibly not being able to use saves from PS4? Seems to be the case with a lot of games from news recently.

I’m considering trading mine in today, but if I put all my saves on a USB and they end up not working with PS5 I’ll be gutted...

It should be able to use PS4 saves with PS4 games. The issue seems to be that most PS4 saves are not compatible with the PS5 native version.

The only game that has stated save compatibility is Spider-Man Miles Morales, all others have said they'll be incompatible.

• Advertisement

Do we think more X's will be made available for pre order before release date? If so what sites should I keep an eye on?

There was a tweet from Xbox to say expect more stock for launch day, so I would keep a look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but do we know does the Series X have the same HDMI input feature as the XB1?

So you can plug in your skybox, chrome cast etc and view it via the one guide?

Id actually find this feature a lot more useful than that quick resume thing (no idea why Id ever even use it tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I think there is only one HDMI port on the back of the box so I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

joe123 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but do we know does the Series X have the same HDMI input feature as the XB1?

Id actually find this feature a lot more useful than that quick resume thing (no idea why Id ever even use it tbh)

No HDMI in, only HDMI out.

There is a wireless display app on the Xbox that you can cast your videos and music too, no need for a Chrome Cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ZiabR wrote: »
    No HDMI in, only HDMI out.

Boooooooooo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BigGpu380

I love everything about the console except for the fact that they removed the optical port. Why.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

BigGpu380 wrote: »
    I love everything about the console except for the fact that they removed the optical port. Why.. :(

It's too limiting and HDMI is taking over as it has the bandwidth and works with all the latest audio formats.

https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-optical-cable-dying/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did use it a lot on the original One and it worked very well in combination with the Kinect voice commands. The upgrade to the X killed it though (along with killing off of Kinect obviously) as that adapter thing never worked right for me so I flogged it with the Kinect for about £100 iirc. Since then the virgin media box got connected directly to the TV and I never gave the HDMI-In a second look.

It's funny that Amazon are trying to sell an additional box these days that does what the xbox did 7 years ago but very few wanted - does that make the xbox one ahead of it's time???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Same with the PS5. Irritating, as my Creative G6 was great to use with both my PC and console. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

theteal wrote: »
    It's funny that Amazon are trying to sell an additional box these days that does what the xbox did 7 years ago but very few wanted - does that make the xbox one ahead of it's time???

In retrospect, I'm inclined to say yes, their marketing was absolutely horrific, but looking back at some of the ideas they had, such as friend and family groups where everyone could share games,We eventually got a watered down version where you could gameshare, but it was never an official thing promoted to the general public. they were definitely ahead of their time, the problem being they were too far ahead of their time, people balked at the idea of online check ins, whereas live games such as division or destiny have made the idea of an offline console kind of laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

It's too limiting and HDMI is taking over as it has the bandwidth and works with all the latest audio formats.

https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-optical-cable-dying/

I have a soundbar that doesn't have HDMI so that's not an option. I'm not sure whether I should just run an optical cable directly from the projector to the soundbar or get something like this? I don't know much about it myself but I'm wondering would either option cause audio lag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

dor83 wrote: »
    I have a soundbar that doesn't have HDMI so that's not an option. I'm not sure whether I should just run an optical cable directly from the projector to the soundbar or get something like this? I don't know much about it myself but I'm wondering would either option cause audio lag?

There is a chance there is audio lag but this can be sync'd on the tv. This could cause input latency to increase though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In retrospect, I'm inclined to say yes, their marketing was absolutely horrific, but looking back at some of the ideas they had, such as friend and family groups where everyone could share games,We eventually got a watered down version where you could gameshare, but it was never an official thing promoted to the general public. they were definitely ahead of their time, the problem being they were too far ahead of their time, people balked at the idea of online check ins, whereas live games such as division or destiny have made the idea of an offline console kind of laughable.

Well wasn't that part of the problem. That the 'One' in "Xbox One" was meant that this was the one box with Kinnect that did everything for you. TV, video streaming, social media ,oh and a little bit of DRM gaming.
    Was a marketing disaster.

In comes Spencer, the gamer, and has brought Xbox to being firstly a gaming console and other functions are secondary which is what it should be.

I don't really see it as a problem to have TV on it's own as Sky and VM have their own streaming programs that wouldn't show up on Xbox menu.

New Xbox is purely gaming now which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

druss wrote: »
    Cheers. I am trading in my One X. My Switch is staying put.

No need for me to run into town tomorrow so, other than that the tradable games might change on Thursday!

I did it today in GS, Xbox One X and three of the list games. Got €326 in total,
    using my level four card. Then just paid off the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,768 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Same with the PS5. Irritating, as my Creative G6 was great to use with both my PC and console. :rolleyes:

Same I hope there is a workaround Astro are saying there wil be for PS5 I'm sure they can output via USB and the dac in the G6 will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I was doing my online grocery shopping on tesco.ie and saw they have page to express interest to pre-order a PS5 and Series X:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/expressinterest/

You will need to log in first and then that link will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Another dopey question but will 4K 60hz be ok for this xbox, that’s my limit at the moment and I have no plans to replace my screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Vudgie wrote: »
    Another dopey question but will 4K 60hz be ok for this xbox, that’s my limit at the moment and I have no plans to replace my screen?

That is the limit for the new Xbox anyway in triple A games. I'm sure in less demanding games they may be able to push higher but 4k 60Hz is way better than previous consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Vudgie wrote: »
    So far it looks like only shooters and racing games go to 120fps. So 60hz display will be fine for the majority of games. There might be more going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Has anyone got an email off GameStop to say they’ll be getting one on launch day yet? Or to say they won’t be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Has anyone got an email off GameStop to say they’ll be getting one on launch day yet? Or to say they won’t be!!

If they do I think its only people who ordered online if in store they will get a phone call. Seems to be what is happening with people with the ps5. So I am expecting 2 calls from them as ordered xbox one x and ps5 in 2 different stores. Hopefully call some time this wk or next. Not that confident on the xbox as only ordered in store on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BigGpu380

I'm genuinely surprised by the demand of the Series X. It's awesome to see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm genuinely surprised by the demand of the Series X. It's awesome to see though.

its always going to sell out at this stage, not enough supply

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

IvoryTower wrote: »
    its always going to sell out at this stage, not enough supply

Yeah, there's enough core gamer demand that it was always going to sell out straight away. The far more interesting thing to look out for is when casuals start to upgrade, and will the Series S be a good enough upgrade for them. We'll know how the generation is going to shake out at that stage.

Advertisement