Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Battery?

No, the headphones themselves are fine. But they worked via a connection to the optical port on the Xbox One. Series X doesn't have an optical port.

And they are not listed by Turtle Beach on their Series X compatibility page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

druss wrote: »
    No, the headphones themselves are fine. But they worked via a connection to the optical port on the Xbox One. Series X doesn't have an optical port.

And they are not listed by Turtle Beach on their Series X compatibility page.

Shame. Great headset.

Someone on Reddit asks turtle beach support the question about support for the 800X.

Turtle Beach support response:

You may be able to make it work if you run the optical cable to something like a "HDMI Audio Extractor", not sold from Turtle Beach. This would allow you to create a Digital Optical Output from the HDMI path. However no one knows just yet which type of extractor would work for the Xbox Series X so we are not recommending this particular method at this time. However we cannot guarantee any level of audio compatibility between the Elite 800X and the new Xbox Series X at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Shame. Great headset.

Someone on Reddit asks turtle beach support the question about support for the 800X.

Turtle Beach support response:

You may be able to make it work if you run the optical cable to something like a "HDMI Audio Extractor", not sold from Turtle Beach. This would allow you to create a Digital Optical Output from the HDMI path. However no one knows just yet which type of extractor would work for the Xbox Series X so we are not recommending this particular method at this time. However we cannot guarantee any level of audio compatibility between the Elite 800X and the new Xbox Series X at this time.

Thanks. I'll hold onto them and see if this is becomes an option. If not, I can always use on pc. Certainly not worth selling to Cex for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

druss wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll hold onto them and see if this is becomes an option. If not, I can always use on pc. Certainly not worth selling to Cex for now!

Yeah HDMI audio extractor has been mentioned by Astro as well, not sure if it will impact picture quality, let's see what we can do with our existing headset/mix amps once they release the consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Seeing as nphet have recommended a level 5 restriction for the whole country.
    if the government accept and implement this it would likely last between 4 and 6 weeks there is a good chance of this affecting anyone with a collect from shop pre order. I know first world problems and all but annoying for some should it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Seeing as nphet have recommended a level 5 restriction for the whole country.
    if the government accept and implement this it would likely last between 4 and 6 weeks there is a good chance of this affecting anyone with a collect from shop pre order. I know first world problems and all but annoying for some should it happen.

Surely not!

*Nov 10th: jams crowbar into Gamestop shutter and begins to pry open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Surely not!

*Nov 10th: jams crowbar into Gamestop shutter and begins to pry open

I really hope the likes of gamestop etc. Have a plan in place to do deliveries for people who have them ordered in store. They will all be going to the warehouse anyhow when they receive them, so have it set up from there to a delivery van to the house. Just a plan in place not well u ordered it to the shop tough luck. They should be more pro active the likes of smyths and gamestop if this is something that might happen. Plus I hope gamestop will ring this wk as would live to know about the ps5 and xbox if I will get them on launch day or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

RGARDINR wrote: »
    I really hope the likes of gamestop etc. Have a plan in place to do deliveries for people who have them ordered in store. They will all be going to the warehouse anyhow when they receive them, so have it set up from there to a delivery van to the house. Just a plan in place not well u ordered it to the shop tough luck. They should be more pro active the likes of smyths and gamestop if this is something that might happen. Plus I hope gamestop will ring this wk as would live to know about the ps5 and xbox if I will get them on launch day or not.

This is gamestop your talking about, the company who cancel orders and don't see the problem with it

I would expect very little in the way of proactive when it comes to them. Sure people will say no way will I shop there again, then they will do a good trade deal and people will pile back in.

I don't think the releases will be effected myself but I have more faith in that than I have in GameStop getting consoles to people if we are level 5.

Can't upsell to someone via a delivery driver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Gamestop wont do deliveries, not a chance. They are not going to pay a courier to delivery 1000's of consoles at the companies expense. I also went with MS direct this time and I am so glad I did. This Covid craic has the world on its knees.

recyclops wrote: »
    This is gamestop your talking about, the company who cancel orders and don't see the problem with it

I would expect very little in the way of proactive when it comes to them. Sure people will say no way will I shop there again, then they will do a good trade deal and people will pile back in.

I don't think the releases will be effected myself but I have more faith in that than I have in GameStop getting consoles to people if we are level 5.

Can't upsell to someone via a delivery driver

Bollix, you're right. Lockdown and no Xbox :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Cex were open as a essential shop during the last lockdown I say GameStop can get around this and open as one,

They sell keyboards and mouses ? Yap that’s a essential shop as can use that for work from home ....

At the end of the day we have more things to worry about then a Xbox or a ps5

Our health service is overloaded ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cex were open as a essential shop during the last lockdown I say GameStop can get around this and open as one,

They sell keyboards and mouses ? Yap that’s a essential shop as can use that for work from home ....

At the end of the day we have more things to worry about then a Xbox or a ps5

Our health service is overloaded ....

CeX closed, same as everyone else, they ran the online shop for a bit, but that also stopped after a bit.
    The reason I'm so certain is because I traded in a PS4 at the time, and it was stuck in limbo for a few weeks until they reopened.

Also - i'd say that entertainment is a very valid concern this time, no fine weather, dark evenings. be as well off indoors gaming than outside mingling.

Also - i'd say that entertainment is a very valid concern this time, no fine weather, dark evenings. be as well off indoors gaming than outside mingling.

Mental health is a MASSIVE problem at the moment for so many people. And as you rightly point out, we are moving into dark mornings, evening, cold weather etc. If we do go back to phase 5 and lockdown, people need entertainment to stay somewhat sane through the next weeks/months. I know personally, if I didnt have my gaming console, id be climbing the walls when the kids go to bed in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ZiabR wrote: »
    Mental health is a MASSIVE problem at the moment for so many people. And as you rightly point out, we are moving into dark mornings, evening, cold weather etc. If we do go back to phase 5 and lockdown, people need entertainment to stay somewhat sane through the next weeks/months. I know personally, if I didnt have my gaming console, id be climbing the walls when the kids go to bed in the evenings.

Yup,
    if not for the lads and the evening warzone matches all through lockdown 1.
    red rum red rum red rum........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

CeX closed, same as everyone else, they ran the online shop for a bit, but that also stopped after a bit.
    The reason I'm so certain is because I traded in a PS4 at the time, and it was stuck in limbo for a few weeks until they reopened.

I think they reopened right around the time of garden shops etc. as computer repair/sales were also allowed.
    Yup,
    if not for the lads and the evening warzone matches all through lockdown 1.
    red rum red rum red rum........

Same here, I've never had so many people looking to jump on for a few games. Really helps pass away the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I'm the opposite I find stuck at a TV in the dark evening that more depressing. Get's me down even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

Did anyone who pre ordered from Currys get a confirmation email so far?

I ordered mine on the 23rd of September and still nothing! A bit worried now to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Did anyone who pre ordered from Currys get a confirmation email so far?

I ordered mine on the 23rd of September and still nothing! A bit worried now to say the least

Ordered mine the 23rd as well. Around 3pm (was surprised it was still available).

Still haven’t got a confirmation email.

I messaged their Team Knowhow through Twitter and they said as long as I have a pre-order number, the order is secure, said they’re still sending out emails (mad I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

Ordered mine the 23rd as well. Around 3pm (was surprised it was still available).

Still haven’t got a confirmation email.

I messaged their Team Knowhow through Twitter and they said as long as I have a pre-order number, the order is secure, said they’re still sending out emails (mad I know!)

Thanks, I personally find it amazing that in 2020 someone has to manually send these emails one by one.
    I would of expected it to be an automatic process.

I guess with my pre order number being over 37k and with the delay it made me wonder if they'd sold more than their allocation, but that's reassuring

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Thanks, I personally find it amazing that in 2020 someone has to manually send these emails one by one.
    I would of expected it to be an automatic process.

I guess with my pre order number being over 37k and with the delay it made me wonder if they'd sold more than their allocation, but that's reassuring

I worry there’s going to be more to it, but nothing we can do about it now, just have to trust them, hah!

Also I’m in the 37k order number as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Damn I have been sleeping. Never even bothered to pre-order any where.

The recent Digital Foundry video and article on Ray Tracing has been fascinating to watch and read. We now know just how big the gap is between the Series X GPU and the PS5 GPU. For anyone interested in the techy stuff I will summarise below.

Based on the recent Ray Tracing videos released of Spiderman we now know that the PS5s GPU is comparable to a nVidia 2060S (500-600 Dollar GPU). We also know that the GPU in the Series X is comparable to an nVidia 2080S (700-800 Dollar GPU)

Digital Foundry have confirmed as such and what is really interesting is that some of the biggest games studios (EPIC Games) being one of them, publicly commented on Digital Foundry's assessment and agreed with the comparisons saying that PS5 is very like a 2060S.

When we look at the 2060S in the PC space, it fails to play games at 4K, 60FPS. Yes it plays some games at 4K 60FPS but it is a very low %. When we compare that to a 2080S, this GPU can play a much larger amount of games in 4K 60fps, not all games but a significantly higher % than a 2060S.

Then it comes to Ray Tracing, which is directly linked to CUs on a GPU. Essentially, the more CUs you have available the better performance you are going to have with Ray Tracing. The PS5 has 36 CUs and the Series X has 52 CUs. Again a significant difference, and one that will be evident.

The GPU gap between PS5 and Series X is big, maybe bigger than I had originally thought it would be. Now, when we run these GPUs in a console configuration with the overheads removed, the results may differ a little, but its clear that the series X has an advantage. And when we consider that both consoles are retailing at the same price, it is hard to justify the price being the same. Its clear that the custom SSD in the PS5 has cost alot of money and they are trying to offset it. Makes me wonder if we are going to see a PS5 Pro within 3 years to increase the GPU performance in line with the Series X? That surely would be a kick in the teeth for Sony fans?

Even if the PS5s custom SDD gives 4-5 second faster load times over the series X, I would happily wait the 5 seconds to have the better graphical and FPS performance. And I don't believe that Sony can hide behind their exclusives anymore. With the recent Microsoft acquisitions, there are going to be amazing exclusive games coming to Series X.

Sony are yet to send out consoles to the mainstream reviewers, while Microsoft are throwing Series X units at anyone that wants one to review. That in itself shows just how Sony are feeling about their console. They will likely hold these units as long as possible so as not to potentially damage sales. I'm not saying it would damage sales, because we have been told that most polls show a higher % of people want the PS5 over the Series X. This in my opinion is because people moved to PS4 last gen and are not willing to move back to Microsoft because they will lose progress and access to their back catalogues.

Shaping up to be a very interesting few weeks as we wait for these new consoles to hit shelves.

Note to MODs - I am not flaming or trolling here, or trying to start a war, just pointing out some of the analysis that has been released from Digital Foundry amongst others in recent days. I want both consoles to be successful, but it is very clear that this gen is not like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The recent Digital Foundry video and article on Ray Tracing has been fascinating to watch and read. We now know just how big the gap is between the Series X GPU and the PS5 GPU. For anyone interested in the techy stuff I will summarise below.

Based on the recent Ray Tracing videos released of Spiderman we now know that the PS5s GPU is comparable to a nVidia 2060S (500-600 Dollar GPU). We also know that the GPU in the Series X is comparable to an nVidia 2080S (700-800 Dollar GPU)

Digital Foundry have confirmed as such and what is really interesting is that some of the biggest games studios (EPIC Games) being one of them, publicly commented on Digital Foundry's assessment and agreed with the comparisons saying that PS5 is very like a 2060S.

When we look at the 2060S in the PC space, it fails to play games at 4K, 60FPS. Yes it plays some games at 4K 60FPS but it is a very low %. When we compare that to a 2080S, this GPU can play a much larger amount of games in 4K 60fps, not all games but a significantly higher % than a 2060S.

Then it comes to Ray Tracing, which is directly linked to CUs on a GPU. Essentially, the more CUs you have available the better performance you are going to have with Ray Tracing. The PS5 has 36 CUs and the Series X has 52 CUs. Again a significant difference, and one that will be evident.

The GPU gap between PS5 and Series X is big, maybe bigger than I had originally thought it would be. Now, when we run these GPUs in a console configuration with the overheads removed, the results may differ a little, but its clear that the series X has an advantage. And when we consider that both consoles are retailing at the same price, it is hard to justify the price being the same. Its clear that the custom SSD in the PS5 has cost alot of money and they are trying to offset it. Makes me wonder if we are going to see a PS5 Pro within 3 years to increase the GPU performance in line with the Series X? That surely would be a kick in the teeth for Sony fans?

Even if the PS5s custom SDD gives 4-5 second faster load times over the series X, I would happily wait the 5 seconds to have the better graphical and FPS performance. And I don't believe that Sony can hide behind their exclusives anymore. With the recent Microsoft acquisitions, there are going to be amazing exclusive games coming to Series X.

Sony are yet to send out consoles to the mainstream reviewers, while Microsoft are throwing Series X units at anyone that wants one to review. That in itself shows just how Sony are feeling about their console. They will likely hold these units as long as possible so as not to potentially damage sales. I'm not saying it would damage sales, because we have been told that most polls show a higher % of people want the PS5 over the Series X. This in my opinion is because people moved to PS4 last gen and are not willing to move back to Microsoft because they will lose progress and access to their back catalogues.

Shaping up to be a very interesting few weeks as we wait for these new consoles to hit shelves.

Note to MODs - I am not flaming or trolling here, or trying to start a war, just pointing out some of the analysis that has been released from Digital Foundry amongst others in recent days. I want both consoles to be successful, but it is very clear that this gen is not like for like.

A 2060 Super isn't a $500-$600 GPU. A new 3070 is going to be in that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TitianGerm wrote: »

The cheapest works out at about $480, and about $650 for the top of the range one, more expensive than a 3070.

I am not making up the prices, I know the new nVidia 3000 range is going to be available for the same prices as the 2000 range. I just did a quick check on Amazon and other sites for the 2060S and 2080S and these are the Dollar prices that came back.

Pricing aside, it doesn't take away from the technical side of the GPUs in question. The GPU in the PS5 is cheaper than the one in the Series X. Thats the point I was making.

I am not making up the prices, I know the new nVidia 3000 range is going to be available for the same prices as the 2000 range. I just did a quick check on Amazon and other sites for the 2060S and 2080S and these are the Dollar prices that came back.

Pricing aside, it doesn't take away from the technical side of the GPUs in question. The GPU in the PS5 is cheaper than the one in the Series X. Thats the point I was making.

You can get 2060 Supers from around £350. No one in thier right mind would spend more on a 2060 Super than you could get a 2070 Super for.

The MSI Gaming Trio is considered one of the best available GPUs and the 2070 Super in that is £550ish. But you can get Gigabyte models for around £440.

You can get 2060 Supers from around £350. No one in thier right mind would spend more on a 2060 Super than you could get a 2070 Super for.

The MSI Gaming Trio is considered one of the best available GPUs and the 2070 Super in that is £550ish. But you can get Gigabyte models for around £440.

I think you are missing the point made by the articles. Forget price for a moment, they were just making reference to the GPUs in the new consoles vs what is currently available in the PC space so that we could compare performance or expected performance of the new consoles. We don't know what Sony or Microsoft have paid for the GPU in each machine but logic would presume that the GPU takes up a large portion of the budget. Even if you can get a 2060S in the PC space for 400 euro, the PS5 still has all of the other costs associated with the unit including its custom SSD. The same can be said for the Series X and its comparable 2080S.

With both consoles shipping for 499 euro, you are getting more bang for your buck with the Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

People won't care. MS dropped the ball so unbelievably badly with the initial handling of the Xbox One, and with the software, that people are just generally minded towards the PS5. They're not gonna care that the Series X is more powerful, in the same way that most people don't care that the One X is the most powerful.

I mean even the original Xbox was way more powerful than the PS2. All that matters is brand establishment and a good track record of software. Which Playstation has in spades.

I think you are missing the point made by the articles. Forget price for a moment, they were just making reference to the GPUs in the new consoles vs what is currently available in the PC space so that we could compare performance or expected performance of the new consoles. We don't know what Sony or Microsoft have paid for the GPU in each machine but logic would presume that the GPU takes up a large portion of the budget. Even if you can get a 2060S in the PC space for 400 euro, the PS5 still has all of the other costs associated with the unit including its custom SSD. The same can be said for the Series X and its comparable 2080S.

With both consoles shipping for 499 euro, you are getting more bang for your buck with the Series X.

By saying the price of the 2060 Super is higher than it is your making your comparison look worse than it is though. We all know the PS5 isn't as powerful as the Series X.

• Advertisement

By saying the price of the 2060 Super is higher than it is your making your comparison look worse than it is though. We all know the PS5 isn't as powerful as the Series X.

Granted we know the PS5 is not as powerful, but this is not my comparison. The only thing I did was do a quick search for both of the mentioned GPUs and that was the pricing that came back on Amazon.com. I didn't pull the prices out of the air.

That said I can see them on .co.uk for 360 sterling which is 467 dollars so the pricing is not a million miles away.

Advertisement