Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Homelander wrote: »
    People won't care. MS dropped the ball so unbelievably badly with the initial handling of the Xbox One, and with the software, that people are just generally minded towards the PS5. They're not gonna care that the Series X is more powerful, in the same way that most people don't care that the One X is the most powerful.

I mean even the original Xbox was way more powerful than the PS2. All that matters is brand establishment and a good track record of software. Which Playstation has in spades.

PS5 will do well but I think Xbox is also going to do well and entice more back.

The Zenimax acquisition and Gamepass are big benefits to Xbox outside of pure processing power and there's more to come.

There seems to be more positivity around Xbox this launch compared to last time (which is not that hard) and for the first time I'm seeing some negativity about PS so it will be interesting to see how it all develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

murpho999 wrote: »
    PS5 will do well but I think Xbox is also going to do well an entice more back.

The Zenimax acquisition and Gamepass are big benefits to Xbox outside of pure processing power and there's more to come.

There seems to be more positivity around Xbox this launch compared to last time (which is not that hard) and for the first time I'm seeing some negativity about PS so it will be interesting to see how it all develops.

Agree. It's mainly about recovering momentum. Last iteration, the Xbox product, at launch time, was seen as lower-spec, worse value and with less games.

This time round, the first two are definitely addressed and there are huge strides being made on the games issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Still not even a confirmation email from Currys yet. Surely it can't take this long to allocate and send out a confirmation email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Quick question. Do people think there is value in getting a Series X if you only have a 1080p TV?

Getting tempted by a Series X coupled with some cheap Game Pass but my two TVs are perfectly working 1080p sets, can't really justify replacing one, particularly with the economic outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Quick question. Do people think there is value in getting a Series X if you only have a 1080p TV?

Getting tempted by a Series X coupled with some cheap Game Pass but my two TVs are perfectly working 1080p sets, can't really justify replacing one, particularly with the economic outlook.

Id say it depends on your storage requirements.

I made the switch from the Series S to X based on the fact that I have 2 4k tvs, and the fact that a memory card & series S is the same price as an X.
    This will likely be a 6 year lifespan console at minimum, and the fact that you'd have to go out of your way to track down a 1080 tv in a shop now, would also factor into my decision.

If I were you, I'd go X, and replace the tv whenever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Homelander wrote: »
    People won't care. MS dropped the ball so unbelievably badly with the initial handling of the Xbox One, and with the software, that people are just generally minded towards the PS5.
    The same thing happened the 360 generation, though. The PS3's launch was so unbelievably flubbed that it took them 2-3 years to recover, whilst the 360 became essentially the 'default' current gen console in the eyes of the consumer/media portrayals etc.

We've long established sides can switch within a generation. Microsoft and Sony have essentially been trading getting off on the wrong foot for awhile now, and it looks like it could be happening again.

The spiritual 'winner' of the last generation has a habit of going into the next with a sense of complacency. The PS5 will ultimately still sell more worldwide when all is said and done, but there's a definite sense of "Well you're going to buy this thing anyway" whereas MS are really punching up. They're the more enticing option for many at the moment because of that.

I'd have laughed the hole off you if you'd have told me 6 months ago I'd be pre ordering a Series X. The writing's been on the wall for ages though, since Phil Spencer got the Xbox top job.

They're on fire at the moment.

Its been said many times before, Sony are not even competition to MS anymore. MS care about game pass subscriptions, period. They are releasing two console tiers to cover all bases. They are streaming games on Android, making games available on PC and signing up more studios to produce more and better games. Thus is all to provide a top class gaming subscription service, it is not an attempt to sell more consoles than Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

But they are really the competition...spencer has got into your brain ;)

IvoryTower wrote: »

They're really not. In fact both companies get on really well. The whole console war thing is a fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Not in the big picture. I don't think people appreciate the sheer difference in size between Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft could turn around and buy Sony with their cash reserves (this would never happen but just as an example). Also, with Azure powering PS Now they're winners regardless.

Microsoft are trying to move gaming to a services model rather than relying on games sales. Zenimax won't be the last acquirement in the Games industry that Microsoft make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Yeah I'm not buying that they're not competition. The vast majority of the competitive element is media hyperbole - a bit like the Premier League - but both parties would like to sell the most consoles, just like both Liverpool and Man City want to amass the most points. The Xbox is selling an ecosystem, but an important part of that ecosystem is a console that they've tried very, very hard to make more appealing than the PS5.

Because they would like to sell more of them.

We'll do well even if we don't sell as much is fine, but they're definitely competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

100% they are the competition, anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. They might not care if they sell as many consoles as the opposition (which are likely a loss leader anyway), but once they're getting that subscription money off you, whether you're playing on mobile, console or pc, they're happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

New Xbox compatible version of the Steelseries Arctis 7 headset.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7x?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tweet&utm_campaign=arctis-7x

Same usb-c dongle as the 1x so is also compatible with the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is it definitely? I've long been looking for a true wireless headset that will work for both consoles but options limited

maximoose wrote: »
    Is it definitely? I've long been looking for a true wireless headset that will work for both consoles but options limited

Yes, there is a switch on the transmitter that switches between an Xbox mode and a generic usb audio mode.

The generic mode is needed for Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Android and PC compatibility.

The manual, which can be downloaded from the page in my link shows how this works.

I've been using a set of Arctis 7s for my PS4 for over a year and they are a very good headset.

CatInABox wrote: »
    The more I hear about retailers emailing to say that people might not be able to get their orders on launch day, the happier I am that I managed to snag one from MS themselves.

Big time, I missed the boat on preorders with the B&M shops and was kicking myself that I didn't manage to get the trade in deal. Now looking at all the messing going on, I'm delighted that MS are the least likely to not fulfill any preorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yes, there is a switch on the transmitter that switches between an Xbox mode and a generic usb audio mode.

The generic mode is needed for Nintendo Switch, PS4/5 Android and PC compatibility.

The manual, which can be downloaded from the page in my link shows how this works.

I've been using a set of Arctis 7s for my PS4 for over a year and they are a very good headset.

I take it you miss out on the 3D audio or whatever it is on the PS5 though?

Benzino wrote: »
    I take it you miss out on the 3D audio or whatever it is on the PS5 though?

Don't see why it wouldn't, PS5 uses the generic usb audio for headsets where as the Xbox doesn't. It's one of the reasons why there have not been too many options for high end Xbox headsets.

It's also not the only true wireless headset that works with both.

We now have 3 wireless headsets that are known to work with both.

Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox
    Steelseries Arctis 7x
    Astro A20 Gen 2(additional €20 dongle required)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Don't see why it wouldn't, PS5 uses the generic usb audio for headsets where as the Xbox doesn't. It's one of the reasons why there have not been too many options for high end Xbox headsets.

Interesting, was under the impression the headset would have to support it. These could be an option for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I was planning on waiting until around Christmas to buy myself a Series X, but the closer we are getting to the launch date, the more I regret not pre-ordering one!

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    Interesting, was under the impression the headset would have to support it. These could be an option for me so.

The Arctis 7 and new Arctis 7P support it and they are identical to the Arctis 7x, just with different transmitters and colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

I was planning on waiting until around Christmas to buy myself a Series X, but the closer we are getting to the launch date, the more I regret not pre-ordering one!
    well you could try get one in argos or go into the queuing system in Gamestop you might get one for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They're really not. In fact both companies get on really well. The whole console war thing is a fallacy.

They're 100% competition.

That will be shown when they release the likes of Starfield & Elder Scrolls on Xbox and PC only.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-phil-spencer-8k-video-games-standard

Not going to regret getting a 4K in the sales now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Anyone else get their Xbox Series X cancelled in an email from Microsoft? I ordered within 10 minutes of the Series X going live on the 22nd of September. No warning and no payment issues (its the same Paypal on my account that I've recently used to buy games and DLC with). I got it at 4am this morning

https://imgur.com/a/jk4f0av

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

pcadhain wrote: »
    Anyone else get their Xbox Series X cancelled in an email from Microsoft? I ordered within 10 minutes of the Series X going live on the 22nd of September. No warning and no payment issues (its the same Paypal on my account that I've recently used to buy games and DLC with). I got it at 4am this morning

https://imgur.com/a/jk4f0av

I just checked and got the same email. That's a bit out of the blue. Any idea why it could have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Not a notion. Can only see two tweets from equally confused guys with the same email. Its all very strange- its not like they were processing payment 5 weeks in advance at 4am and just to straight up cancel my console. I was having such a good day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is there money in the account you had on the order? They might have done a pre-auth?

Pre-auth issues with Paypal aren't uncommon either.

That's fairly annoying. They should give you an option to change payment card. Try contacting them.

That's all I can think of which would make sense because I don't have the full amount in there right now but they haven't given me an option to change payment methods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Has anyone gotten a call from GameStop yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a call from GameStop yet?

I think (might be completely wrong) that they only ring you closer to release date, if you've successfully secured one in-store
    For PS5 they've been notifying people who've not been successful in securing one before 2021,via email. In the last two weeks.

Advertisement