Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

kingbowser wrote: »
    Wondering whether to trade One x for this at GameStop. Think I might hold on a few years and clear up backlog ... it's a never ending arms race ... However ...

the series x is certainly looking like a brilliantly designed console. Super quiet, incredibly fast, beautiful design and brilliant backward compatibility. Makes older games run so much smoother and auto HDR too. Much faster loading of older games and fast resume. Plus game pass is brilliant value if you are a regular gamer.

If you could get Nintendo games on there it would be nirvana.

If you don’t have your series x pre ordered in GameStop you won’t be getting on this year,

I pre ordered mine months ago and was delighted with this trade in deal in GameStop which means I get the latest Xbox for 200 euros how bad ?

But games pass is hands down the best thing to ever come to the Xbox, I basically buy no games for the Xbox now due to this as there is always something to play on games pass !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

If you don’t have your series x pre ordered in GameStop you won’t be getting on this year,

I pre ordered mine months ago and was delighted with this trade in deal in GameStop which means I get the latest Xbox for 200 euros how bad ?

But games pass is hands down the best thing to ever come to the Xbox, I basically buy no games for the Xbox now due to this as there is always something to play on games pass !!!

Ah I'd say you might have a chance of getting one this year, I'd say people without PS5 preorders are screwed for a month or two into 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

What about Argos and Littlewoods,no chance of them having stock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

soap1978 wrote: »
    What about Argos and Littlewoods,no chance of them having stock

Littlewoods sold out. Argos have no pre-order system, if you can be up to reserve one when the stock goes live you could probably get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

dohboy wrote: »
    Haven't had a Xbox since the 360, but considering getting a Series S. I don't have that huge a TV (40in) so I'm assuming 1440p will be enough for me. Digital-only is fine also as I think I bought just one physical game for my PS4. I'm also interested in Gamepass and exploring stuff I missed on Microsoft last gen. Is all this a reasonable line of thought?

It's not just the res, in 2-3 years time these games are gonna be running full 60fps with a lot of rendering, I'd bite the bullet and futureproof with an X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Meant to say same.

Cheers I have the blue controller coming from santy this year as he brought the blue controller last year for the Xbox one and it was a big hit so I was very worried in case there were issues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Mr.S wrote: »
    Argos is probably the best bet at this stage. Or the MS site if they get a restock before Christmas.

Tesco are also going to sell them.

Is it a case of reservation on release day or coiy you reserve it earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

On the tesco website for Ireland, there is the option to register interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Was out for a walk with misses and we passed a gamestop so decided to put in preorder. I know, I know, way too late now, but I don't mind as long as I am on the list. They taking 50eu deposits now. I guess, they taking it more seriously this time. They are not promising to have it before Xmas too. Ah well, as long as I will get it, I am happy enough.

Was out for a walk with misses and we passed a gamestop so decided to put in preorder. I know, I know, way too late now, but I don't mind as long as I am on the list. They taking 50eu deposits now. I guess, they taking it more seriously this time. They are not promising to have it before Xmas too. Ah well, as long as I will get it, I am happy enough.

Didn't they always take €50 to join the waiting list?

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Didn't they always take €50 to join the waiting list?

Not sure actually, last time I pre ordered it was ps4. So clearly a while ago. I thought it was like 20 quid or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Not sure actually, last time I pre ordered it was ps4. So clearly a while ago. I thought it was like 20 quid or something.

They've taken a €50 deposit for consoles, for a while now. Be it pre-order or list placements. Some people take issue with that and the fact it's GS. I don't see
    what's wrong with it myself.
    Payment

2 years ago Updated

You will be required to pay a €5 deposit for games when you pre-order your item online for in-store pickup. Some collectors editions may be a higher deposit charge and console are €50 deposit.

GameStop accepts Visa, MasterCard, Visa Debits. We also accept GameStop Gift Cards, All For One & Me To You Vouchers in store only. The balance of your order will need to be paid in-store when you pick up your product. Our stores accept the payment methods above as well as cash, debit and you can trade in your used games, consoles, accessories to help pay for your purchase.

bazzz wrote: »
    They've taken a €50 deposit for consoles, for a while now. Be it pre-order or list placements. Some people take issue with that and the fact it's GS. I don't see
    what's wrong with it myself.

I actually don't have issues with it, just did not expected. In a way its good. People have to commit to preorder like this, as we know, demand will be high. Feck it, just hope to get it this year hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I actually don't have issues with it, just did not expected. In a way its good. People have to commit to preorder like this, as we know, demand will be high. Feck it, just hope to get it this year hehe.

I wasn't referring to yourself or anyone specifically here in this thread. If you
    look over in the PS5 Pre order thread. There's a few really hate GS for doing this. I think it's a good thing and nothing wrong with it. I wrote a long'ish post
    defending it, on the thread.
    Hopefully the majority will get what they want before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

bazzz wrote: »
    ... I think it's a good thing...

That's going a bit far for me tbh. The other retailers have the decency to say they're Out of Stock, try later. Gamestop seem to have chosen to go for "sure, no bother chief, we can get that for you - just leave us €50 there and we'll sort it". It's a desperate act imo.

EDIT: Just to say, I don't think anyone pre-ordering now with Gamestop is any more likely to get one sooner than those who wait for other retailers to re-up - in fact I'd expect the opposite - and they'll be stuck with a part-payment already down preventing/discouraging them from grabbing one if it pops up elsewhere. Good for Gamestop, bad for buyer imo.

EDIT 2: I came to browse this thread to see if there's any Series S news, but it looks like it's a complete blackout everywhere? All digital console would be what I'd prefer but no idea how this is going to work now. The specs compared to the X (outside the CPU) seem to be more of a downgrade than I first thought.

Really can't see how Microsoft are going to juggle this, but they're smart guys so who knows I suppose. But the strength of consoles traditionally has been the walled-garden nature, if Microsoft are fully treating them like PCs where settings can be just tweaked accordingly they'll lose a lot of that surely. The X could end up being the most powerful console but never really utilised to it's full potential by devs as they have to make sure it runs on multiple platforms.

If it even just had the same RAM I'd feel better tbh, but atm just can't buy it until I see it action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Mucashinto wrote: »
    That's going a bit far for me tbh. The other retailers have the decency to say they're Out of Stock, try later. Gamestop seem to have chosen to go for "sure, no bother chief, we can get that for you - just leave us €50 there and we'll sort it". It's a desperate act imo.
    I think that because they didn't take as many €50 register interest as ps5 that you can still go into the queuing system for a perorder series x or s.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Not me, digital is a rip off compared to disc.

I usually get games and also Game Pass in sales but at launch new games digital versions are the same price as discs.

I much prefer having a digital library which makes games switching much easier and quicker plus I don't have loads of discs cluttering up my place. That's me though as I do all things digital now. So no CDs, DVDs or Console games.

I'm with you on this, I still prefer physical games rather than digital, and find they are better value too

Apart from price and second hand markets, why would you prefer discs? They offer up no advantage.

Point is with Sony & Xbox offering digital consoles quite clearly that means that less discs are going to be sold and I think is the last generation of consoles that will have them.
    Game Stop's business will not be able to depend on them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭BenK

murpho999 wrote: »
    I usually get games and also Game Pass in sales but at launch new games digital versions are the same price as discs.

I much prefer having a digital library which makes games switching much easier and quicker plus I don't have loads of discs cluttering up my place. That's me though as I do all things digital now. So no CDs, DVDs or Console games.

Apart from price and second hand markets, why would you prefer discs? They offer up no advantage.

Point is with Sony & Xbox offering digital consoles quite clearly that means that less discs are going to be sold and I think is the last generation of consoles that will have them.
    Game Stop's business will not be able to depend on them going forward.

So apart from the advantages that discs have over digital, what advantages do they have!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BenK wrote: »
    So apart from the advantages that discs have over digital, what advantages do they have!?

No, the poster said they prefer discs over digital and I'm asking why outside of the second hand market advantage.
    I think it's a fair question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

As old age sets in i cant be arsed going to shops to trade games anymore, I also cant be arsed swapping discs when i want to change game. My last disc purchase got scraped so I cant even play it now. I would say disc still makes sense for those with a high turnover of games who also like to buy them on day one. Most game I can wait until theyve come down in price or gone to game pass, others i play so much there's no need to return them

• Advertisement

No, the poster said they prefer discs over digital and I'm asking why outside of the second hand market advantage.

I'm probably not a typical scenario, but I have 3 Xboxes in my house, and disc definitely has the advantage of being able to play a game on any of the 3 machines. With 2 Gamepass subs shared between the 3, we sometimes get a situation where a certain (non gamepass) game can't be played on one of the 3 xboxes digitally.

The big advantage of digital is you can buy a game for €70 share it with a friend without them having to buy it.Then they have to be link to your account and you link to your friends or family save you buying a disc.This also work with xbox gold and ulitmated.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

rob808 wrote: »
    The big advantage of digital is you can buy a game for €70 share it with a friend without them having to buy it.Then they have to be link to your account and you link to your friends or family save you buying a disc.This also work with xbox gold and ulitmated.

I assume you cant play the game at the same time as the account you linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

r0chf0rt wrote: »

You can.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    As old age sets in i cant be arsed going to shops to trade games anymore, I also cant be arsed swapping discs when i want to change game. My last disc purchase got scraped so I cant even play it now. I would say disc still makes sense for those with a high turnover of games who also like to buy them on day one. Most game I can wait until theyve come down in price or gone to game pass, others i play so much there's no need to return them

Spot on for me too. I like to jump from game to game and swaping discs is just pain in a hole. Years of playing on pc made me lazy. Its like first world problem hehe. With game pass I rarely buy games on xbox or pc these days, unless I really want something and know its good.
    I do understand people who still want to use discs, more power to them. And only one thing I miss: having a stack of games on the shelf same way a book reader stacks up his own collection of books.

As for X and S, I have to admit Sony did it better. They left pretty much same console, just removed disc drive. I had to go with X, because I want more powerful console, not ability to play games of discs. If performance of S and X would have been same, I would go with S, Even if storage would be a bit smaller. I tend to have installed only the games I play. So no hoarding.

r0chf0rt wrote: »

no you can play as long as one has gold you good to go online.once the account are link your good to go you can play your friends games he can play your and you can be both online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

I like physical games:

- helps me keep control of my backlog. Digital stuff is too easily bought then ignored. With physical I can see what I have and not buy anything new until they are done.

- I don't have much time to play games so game pass, although brilliant value, isn't great for me. Eg RDR2 was on there for a couple of months. Takes me much longer to get through a game. Also see backlog above ...

- I've switched to patient gamer mode. So, I'll buy those "fantastic" games after the dust had settled and a concensus has been reached. With physical you can get the complete editions with all the DLC, patches, etc at great value much later.

- I have a lot of Nintendo first party games which are rarely discounted on digital. And when they are it's just buttons.

- Physical often comes with other trinkets which are usually junk, but it's nice to get eg a map of the game.

- No digital rights or sharing issues bull****.

- I like getting games delivered to me in the post and unwrapping them. :)

- I love the artwork on game packaging.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    EDIT 2: I came to browse this thread to see if there's any Series S news, but it looks like it's a complete blackout everywhere? All digital console would be what I'd prefer but no idea how this is going to work now. The specs compared to the X (outside the CPU) seem to be more of a downgrade than I first thought.

Really can't see how Microsoft are going to juggle this, but they're smart guys so who knows I suppose. But the strength of consoles traditionally has been the walled-garden nature, if Microsoft are fully treating them like PCs where settings can be just tweaked accordingly they'll lose a lot of that surely. The X could end up being the most powerful console but never really utilised to it's full potential by devs as they have to make sure it runs on multiple platforms.

If it even just had the same RAM I'd feel better tbh, but atm just can't buy it until I see it action.
    (Slightly) better CPU than PS5.

4 teraflops sounds underpowered but this is targeting a lower resolution. It cannot be underestimated how much resources are needed for 4k. 1440p will be possible but for me the S is a solid 1080p @ min 60fps.

It'll play all next gen games nicely, albeit at lower resolution and fps.

Devs are coming across as lazy and basically moaning about having to have different settings, something that is standard on a PC. The console IS a PC. All they have to do is have fixed optimization.

The big change for this gen is SSD drives which will revolutionise gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

So went into gamestop Stephens green. Asked in regards to my pre order from December. Said they still haven't been given allocation in regards how many they are getting in store will be ringing people about 2 wks before hand to let them know so looking like after Halloween that I will know 100% but he said that since I reserved in December he's more or less sure I will get 1. Said they only really started to see people reserve them after the lockdown and more really when was announced the pre orders for launch day announced by Sony. So might be the case anyone who pre ordered up before lockdown is guaranteed one is more or less the impression I got from the visit there today. Sorry wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

kingbowser wrote: »
    I like physical games:

- helps me keep control of my backlog. Digital stuff is too easily bought then ignored. With physical I can see what I have and not buy anything new until they are done.

- I don't have much time to play games so game pass, although brilliant value, isn't great for me. Eg RDR2 was on there for a couple of months. Takes me much longer to get through a game. Also see backlog above ...

- I've switched to patient gamer mode. So, I'll buy those "fantastic" games after the dust had settled and a concensus has been reached. With physical you can get the complete editions with all the DLC, patches, etc at great value much later.

- I have a lot of Nintendo first party games which are rarely discounted on digital. And when they are it's just buttons.

- Physical often comes with other trinkets which are usually junk, but it's nice to get eg a map of the game.

- No digital rights or sharing issues bull****.

- I like getting games delivered to me in the post and unwrapping them. :)

- I love the artwork on game packaging.

Physical all the way, it's cheaper, blurays will never break %99.9999 of the time, I can sell it or lend it. What if you buy a game and you don't like it? You're f'd digitally.

I got the Witcher 3 and after 4 hours it was uninstalled, money down the drain as it was digital. I got RDR2 physically and that was awful but luckily I only paid €55 in Smyths and sold it for €55 in CEX a week later.

As for switching discs, I tend to stick to one game at a time, finish that and move onto the next one. Also I'm not a lazy b*tch haha.

Advertisement