Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Digital Foundry have a new video up, looking at Dirt 5 running on the XSX and
    it's video output modes.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1315646398067507200?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Also here's a XSX retail version, unboxing. For anyone interested.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1315644348932018176?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Here's the video for that;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

The packaging is actually pretty cool. Can't wait for the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

bazzz wrote: »

The joy of unboxing comes but every half a decade or so and shall not be ruined by you tube or any other medium, that pleasure will be all mine on the day, unfortunately that day will be Christmas day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

bazzz wrote: »

Very nice presentation. The opening has a ‘wow’ factor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Very nice presentation. The opening has a ‘wow’ factor.

Yeah, that's been the way for everything that Microsoft has put out since the surface started nailing it a good few years ago now. I believe it's the same team doing everything now.

Apparently one of the most sought after degrees nowadays is packaging. Literally how you put something in a box, in the most efficient way possible. Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Physical all the way, it's cheaper, blurays will never break %99.9999 of the time, I can sell it or lend it. What if you buy a game and you don't like it? You're f'd digitally.

I got the Witcher 3 and after 4 hours it was uninstalled, money down the drain as it was digital. I got RDR2 physically and that was awful but luckily I only paid €55 in Smyths and sold it for €55 in CEX a week later.

As for switching discs, I tend to stick to one game at a time, finish that and move onto the next one. Also I'm not a lazy b*tch haha.

Jesus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just wondering will picking up a game pass ultimate from a cheaper region work on the series X?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

RGARDINR wrote: »
    So went into gamestop Stephens green. Asked in regards to my pre order from December. Said they still haven't been given allocation in regards how many they are getting in store will be ringing people about 2 wks before hand to let them know so looking like after Halloween that I will know 100% but he said that since I reserved in December he's more or less sure I will get 1. Said they only really started to see people reserve them after the lockdown and more really when was announced the pre orders for launch day announced by Sony. So might be the case anyone who pre ordered up before lockdown is guaranteed one is more or less the impression I got from the visit there today. Sorry wrong thread.

Same script has been delivered to my local Gamestop. :D

Basically that it is too early to confirm numbers and the ring around will probably start 2 weeks before launch. I ordered later than you, so my scenario is probably more iffy.

Also mentioned the need for caution around Covid and likelihood that they will schedule pick-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just wondering will picking up a game pass ultimate from a cheaper region work on the series X?

Why wouldn't it?

It's connected to your MS account not the machine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Should do, but the "buy live and upgrade to ultimate" is almost certainly going to be cheaper overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

druss wrote: »
    Same script has been delivered to my local Gamestop. :D

Basically that it is too early to confirm numbers and the ring around will probably start 2 weeks before launch. I ordered later than you, so my scenario is probably more iffy.

Also mentioned the need for caution around Covid and likelihood that they will schedule pick-ups.
    xbox I just reserved on launch day so not expecting that on release, ps5 I am. Saying that chap in gamestop said 80% of pre orders were for ps5 and not xbox so might be a chance I get that also. I just don't know how they don't have confirmation of how many they are getting per store. Like to be told 2 wks or wk b4 launch u defo have it is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Does it not come with like a 6 month game pass ultimate subscription when you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Does it not come with like a 6 month game pass ultimate subscription when you buy it?

Id say you'll be lucky to get a 2 week code included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Alot of mention of Digital Vs Physical above. People seem to have forgotten that one of the coolest features of the Series X/S wont work with physical games. That is the quick resume. I cannot wait to be able to jump between 4-5 games without the need to load them up again. I would often be playing a single player game only to be invited into an Apex match for example. Its a pain having to close my current game down and load Apex only to have to do the reverse an hour later.

If you only buy physical games then quick resume will ask you to insert the disc before it will allow you to go back to another game. What a pain in the arse. I haven't bought a physical game since RB6 in 2015 and I have no intention of ever buying a physical game again. Get someone you trust to setup gameshare and then your digital games are ALWAYS half price. I've been doing that for years and it works a treat.

Physical games are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

By the time Currys sends out those emails, the first batch of people will probably already have the console in hand lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derek..

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    By the time Currys sends out those emails, the first batch of people will probably already have the console in hand lol

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.. they're acting the bollocks now to be fair.

There was the same issue with Currys in the UK but I believe it was sorted within a few days as opposed to the 3 weeks it's been for us.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Alot of mention of Digital Vs Physical above. People seem to have forgotten that one of the coolest features of the Series X/S wont work with physical games. That is the quick resume. I cannot wait to be able to jump between 4-5 games without the need to load them up again. I would often be playing a single player game only to be invited into an Apex match for example. Its a pain having to close my current game down and load Apex only to have to do the reverse an hour later.

If you only buy physical games then quick resume will ask you to insert the disc before it will allow you to go back to another game. What a pain in the arse. I haven't bought a physical game since RB6 in 2015 and I have no intention of ever buying a physical game again. Get someone you trust to setup gameshare and then your digital games are ALWAYS half price. I've been doing that for years and it works a treat.

Physical games are dead.

giphy.gif

ZiabR wrote: »
    Alot of mention of Digital Vs Physical above. People seem to have forgotten that one of the coolest features of the Series X/S wont work with physical games. That is the quick resume.

If you only buy physical games then quick resume will ask you to insert the disc before it will allow you to go back to another game. What a pain in the arse.
    With Xbox One, Microsoft originally planned to allow physical games to be played without the disc inserted. There would have been a code in the box which was your license key.

You would still have been able to sell physical games by giving the license key to the buyer, however a periodic internet connection was required in order to de-authorize the the previous owner. If you don't have internet, no problem, just insert your disc and be no worse off than you are currently.

I don't know if it was bad communication or Sonys trolling adverts, but there was a huge backlash and they walked back on the idea. It would have been great and it would (presumably) have carried forward into Series X so you could use quick resume with physical titles. A classic case of gamers shooting themselves in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

*Joking*

Thankfully my attention span is not so shot to pieces that I want to flip back and forth between games.

*Joking*

But seriously, I've traded a load of games back into CEX and delighted to have the opportunity tbh.

With Xbox One, Microsoft originally planned to allow physical games to be played without the disc inserted. There would have been a code in the box which was your license key.

You would still have been able to sell physical games by giving the license key to the buyer, however a periodic internet connection was required in order to de-authorize the the previous owner. If you don't have internet, no problem, just insert your disc and be no worse off than you are currently.

I don't know if it was bad communication or Sonys trolling adverts, but there was a huge backlash and they walked back on the idea. It would have been great and it would (presumably) have carried forward into Series X so you could use quick resume with physical titles. A classic case of gamers shooting themselves in the foot.
    Classic case of its only a good idea if Sony does it. Here we are a generation later only now having a civilised conversation about digital vs physical and its only because of PS5 digital edition.

This was the perfect solution. How ridiculous it looks now in hindsight for people to be complaining about needing an Internet connection on a games/media/streaming console. Were things really that backward in 2013 or was it purely down to fan boi trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This was the perfect solution. How ridiculous it looks now in hindsight for people to be complaining about needing an Internet connection on a games/media/streaming console. Were things really that backward in 2013 or was it purely down to fan boi trolling?

I remember it not being clear that you could still trade in games at the start. MS really messed up the communication. By the time things were clarified, the damage was done, and they announced a reverse already.

Also, the Xbox One was a weaker console that cost €100 more due to Kinect.

Then, there was the whole concentration on TV which annoyed people who wanted a games console, and not a set top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Anyone else's Microsoft order change to Pending?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mine has always been pending, don't think that changes until they charge

EDIT: actually you are right, it was initially "pre-ordered" and must have changed recently!
    New Xbox compatible version of the Steelseries Arctis 7 headset.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7x?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tweet&utm_campaign=arctis-7x

Same usb-c dongle as the 1x so is also compatible with the PS5.

I bit the bullet, they arrived today - impressed so far, very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

maximoose wrote: »

EDIT: actually you are right, it was initially "pre-ordered" and must have changed recently!

Enjoy. Might swap out my Arctis 7 headset or retire it to PC and get a set of the 7xs for the Series X and PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

maximoose wrote: »

ive looked at these and the arctis 1, is there a major difference, from looking at the spec and box contents i cant see why its worth and extra 70

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

String wrote: »
    Anyone else's Microsoft order change to Pending?

Yep, happened today. I've been checking it everyday in case it gets cancelled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

recyclops wrote: »
    ive looked at these and the arctis 1, is there a major difference, from looking at the spec and box contents i cant see why its worth and extra 70

The 7s have a better headband and more comfortable cups.

Steelseries also state that the 1s are not compatible with the PS5 3D audio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Yep, happened today. I've been checking it everyday in case it gets cancelled again.

Same here, wonder if they will charge soon.

Advertisement