Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

I can understand the need for the NVMe SSD card MS are bringing out but it will be expensive. I wonder can you hook up a USB HD just to store games as that's what I do now. I transfer games from and to the HD when I want to play or am finished playing a game.

As that way the internal NVMe SSD will be enough for everybody. I hope they do allow that as I also have really slow internet so can't be constantly downloading really large game files when I want to play a game.
    well you can use standard external hard drive for xbox one and 360 games.The external hard wont work for series x games you need nvme ssd which you seem to know I have external hard drive for my xbox x well worth investing in one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They do allow using USB3 drives on the Series X, in fact, you can just connect your drive that's connected to your One and away you go, all the old games will be there.

I really hope they open up the proprietary external SSD though, it really needs to reduce in price over time. I don't even know how much it'll be, but I'd say it'll be expensive.

CatInABox wrote: »
    They do allow using USB3 drives on the Series X, in fact, you can just connect your drive that's connected to your One and away you go, all the old games will be there.

I really hope they open up the proprietary external SSD though, it really needs to reduce in price over time. I don't even know how much it'll be, but I'd say it'll be expensive.
    İ say they go down most new laptop are using SSD and pc and with next gen console using them they should become cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They will get cheaper but that won't be for at least 3 to 4 years. Remember the price of tiny capacity memory cards for older consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I’m pre-ordering but only if it’s a maximum of €500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I’m pre-ordering but only if it’s a maximum of €500

id be amazed if its not 600 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

..which is why I need Gamestop to pull through and offer a nice upgrade path while taking my One X off my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

I'd be willing to pay €600 for this but I understand why this would be a tough buy for a lot of people. I think MS will be very conscious of price as well of power so it will definitely need to be a balancing act.

druss wrote: »
    ..which is why I need Gamestop to pull through and offer a nice upgrade path while taking my One X off my hands!
    There cex as well if gamestop doesn't make it through doh can't see that happening they sold loads of games and switchs before they closed plus doom and animal crossing made like €9000 in one day in one store.

I'd be willing to pay €600 for this but I understand why this would be a tough buy for a lot of people. I think MS will be very conscious of price as well of power so it will definitely need to be a balancing act.
    I just hope the rechargeable batteries work in the new controller from old controller don't want pay other €25 on top of the series x.The only good thing is I have gamepass so be able to play halo infinite no need to buy any games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

rob808 wrote: »
    I just hope the rechargeable batteries work in the new controller from old controller don't want pay other €25 on top of the series x.The only good thing is I have gamepass so be able to play halo infinite no need to buy any games.

your old controllers work with the new console so you could hang onto them if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I read somewhere that they're sticking with the 2 x AA's

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The new controllers take AA batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There cex as well if gamestop doesn't make it through doh can't see that happening they sold loads of games and switchs before they closed plus doom and animal crossing made like €9000 in one day in one store.

yeah unfortunately Gamestop didn't endear themselves to the american public by forcing staff to stay working and not bothering to give them any protection from the corona virus.
    Gamestop is basically dead...they just don't know it yet.
    Even the irish arm of it is 1.72 million in debt even after extensive cost saving so its not going to help them much.
    Xbox's gamepass could be the nail in the coffin for them. Apart from buying my console I haven't bought any games in gamestop for donkey's years.

Blazer wrote: »
    yeah unfortunately Gamestop didn't endear themselves to the american public by forcing staff to stay working and not bothering to give them any protection from the corona virus.
    Gamestop is basically dead...they just don't know it yet.
    Even the irish arm of it is 1.72 million in debt even after extensive cost saving so its not going to help them much.
    Xbox's gamepass could be the nail in the coffin for them. Apart from buying my console I haven't bought any games in gamestop for donkey's years.
    while Gamepass decent you only get hand full off AA games the rest are indie games some great and some not so great.İ think Gamestop will survive 2020 well I hope so have to get 6 games of them going into 2021 with a possible delay of next gen console gona hurt them badly wouldn't like to have shares in there company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why!?

I don't understand the logic. Why not just have controllers with a built in battery that can be recharged via USB?

So that if the battery life deteriorated you don't have to buy a new controller. My PS4 controller was awful for holding a charge after a few months.

Why!?

I don't understand the logic. Why not just have controllers with a built in battery that can be recharged via USB?

Because when the battery degrades you need to get a new controller instead of just new batteries

Why!?

They could give a play and charge kit with xbox series x but they won't more money for them unless you already own a xbox and have one given it fit into the new controller.

I have both the PS4 and Xbox One X and I far prefer using the rechargeable battery option. The life I get out of a single charge from the batteries far exceed that which I get from my PS4 controller.

I had the battery charge kit for the XBox 360 and thought it a clumsy solution. Also found its lifespan to be rather short.

Rechargeable batteries are cheap and long lasting. Really don't have a problem with this.

I have both the PS4 and Xbox One X and I far prefer using the rechargeable battery option. The life I get out of a single charge from the batteries far exceed that which I get from my PS4 controller.

I had the battery charge kit for the XBox 360 and thought it a clumsy solution. Also found its lifespan to be rather short.

Rechargeable batteries are cheap and long lasting. Really don't have a problem with this.
    The ps4 controller are alright but only last 8 hours because of the light which is gone in the new ps5 controller.I went through a good few ps4 controllers.

The Xbox controller better built and last why longer just don't like stick layout for FPS games.I just hope I can use my play and charge kit batteries from my current controller on the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The ps4 controller are alright but only last 8 hours because of the light which is gone in the new ps5 controller.I went through a good few ps4 controllers.

The Xbox controller better built and last why longer just don't like stick layout for FPS games.I just hope I can use my play and charge kit batteries from my current controller on the new one.
    I really wished they'd just have an option on the dashboard to turn off the light rather than just dimming it.

Its crazy that some people have to dismantle the controller to unhook the lightbar.

I've found you have more chance of the analog sticks or buttons failing / crapping out before a battery degrades to a bad state.

I see the benefit of having batteries as a backup / quick change etc, but they really should have made the plug and charge kit the standard vs a paid extra.
    The console is likely to cost upwards of €500. Additional extras have long been the norm since the 360 days. You can choose to get them or not, it's a good way of keeping the base price down while still giving people choice if they feel they really need it.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1255889762864361472

May 7th. Inside Xbox. Mark it down.

Prepare to be disappointed in the same format for Inside Xbox, as per usual.

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1255889762864361472

May 7th. Inside Xbox. Mark it down.

Prepare to be disappointed in the same format for Inside Xbox, as per usual.

Still exciting to see some Series X gameplay. Third party only from what I believe. 1st party stuff during the summer.

Still exciting to see some Series X gameplay. Third party only from what I believe. 1st party stuff during the summer.

Wise move. Not sure how more demos of Gears 5 and Minecraft would go down. Even if they were to show some Halo and Forza, I'm sure they look spectacular, theres still a bit of a meh feeling to it. I've probably been around too long, maybe the kids will go ape **** for some more Halo and Forza.

Show.me some Cybepunk and I'll genuinely be excited. I've a feeling Series X is going to be the place to play it. Even ahead of PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Wise move. Not sure how more demos of Gears 5 and Minecraft would go down. Even if they were to show some Halo and Forza, I'm sure they look spectacular, theres still a bit of a meh feeling to it. I've probably been around too long, maybe the kids will go ape **** for some more Halo and Forza.

Show.me some Cybepunk and I'll genuinely be excited. I've a feeling Series X is going to be the place to play it. Even ahead of PC.

Microsoft seem to be tight with CD Projekt Red re Cyberpunk, the themed console and confirming that series X will get a free next gen update so I think they'll show a lot of it.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1257658329314123776

This looks like a boot up screen to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mr Crispy wrote: »

I think we're going to be seeing this on a lot of current gen games as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone looking to stream the event in 4k, I read it's only youtube that has the 4k stream! :)

So it's 4pm here then?

Advertisement