Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

recyclops wrote: »
    from everything I have seen I can see myself not being as wowed as previous launch consoles, its like the transition from a new phone which I dont mind.

the normality will be an oddity in 2020 haha

I don't see why.

I'm more excited about this than the XBONE.

I think it's going to a beast of a machine which will upgrade old games and have brilliant new games when the releases from all the studios kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see why.

I'm more excited about this than the XBONE.

I think it's going to a beast of a machine which will upgrade old games and have brilliant new games when the releases from all the studios kick in.

oh i know all that but i just see me unplugging my one x and plugging this in and it looking the same while being extremely fast

hence the phone analogy

recyclops wrote: »
    oh i know all that but i just see me unplugging my one x and plugging this in and it looking the same while being extremely fast

hence the phone analogy

I think there's more to it than that but I know what you mean.

When I get a new phone or a laptop I enjoy and appreciate the new speeds and performances and it provides a different experience.

I think seeing older games looking better is a big win.

I also think what's coming down the road with Xbox will be very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I don't get comparing this to a new phone, we get a new console every few years and there is a huge leap. I got a new Samsung S20+Ultra-Epic phone 2 weeks ago and it's just as fast as the old Heuiweaaaa I had.

You will notice the difference with the XSX to the X... I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

The analogy is the look and feel of the console, the familiarity is a welcome addition to myself.

Sure xbox already got the dashboard. The difference in games and speed will be noticeable absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Goose81

Presume no chance but anyone know where I can pre order a series x?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

The biggest leap in the new gen is 60fps. Graphics aren't everything, but there is such a massive difference in the feel of 30fps v 60fps.

Some games on current gen are 60fps, like COD or whatever, but most single player games are 30fps to maximise visual fidelity, and the processors in the current gen are very weak.

This gen, majority of games will not only look better, but will play way smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Goose81

Homelander wrote: »
    The biggest leap in the new gen is 60fps. Graphics aren't everything, but there is such a massive difference in the feel of 30fps v 60fps.

Some games on current gen are 60fps, like COD or whatever, but most single player games are 30fps to maximise visual fidelity, and the processors in the current gen are very weak.

This gen, majority of games will not only look better, but will play way smoother.

That's great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Goose81 wrote: »
    well you can go into a queuing system in Gamestop you have a better chance of getting a series x than a ps5 for xmas.There no guarantee that you get one this year there also agros and heard tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Goose81 wrote: »

Tesco had a page to register interest on there website last week. Might still be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just a thought. With the way Covid is going at the moment we are 100% heading for level 5 and I believe we will be in level 5 before November 10th. NEPHET have come out this morning and advised we move to level 5 NOW.
    If/when that happens all non essential retail stores will likely be forced to close.

I have ordered directly off MS but for those who have ordered from retailers, it might be wise to get in touch with them to see how they intend to deal with closures and the fulfilment of pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ZiabR wrote: »
    Just a thought. With the way Covid is going at the moment we are 100% heading for level 5 and I believe we will be in level 5 before November 10th. NEPHET have come out this morning and advised we move to level 5 NOW.
    If/when that happens all non essential retail stores will likely be forced to close.

I have ordered directly off MS but for those who have ordered from retailers, it might be wise to get in touch with them to see how they intend to deal with closures and the fulfilment of pre-orders.

do you have a link to the NPHET recommendation? I don't see any mention online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

For what it's worth, my local Gamestop thought that (even at level 3), you'd be called and given a timeslot for collection. Obviously no midnight launch, no queues in the street this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

ZiabR wrote: »

I have reserved both in gamestop and I asked about my ps5 and they don't have allocations of how many to the store yet so won't know until a wk or 2 b4 release date if I have one or not. If there that bad with not knowing I am not sure wat they will do with level 5. I say same deal with xbox least with that I pre ordered that one closer to me as working from home since march ps5 I ordered in town so don't know what will happen there. Be good if gamestop contacted u to pay rest online if u owe anything and deliver to ure house or ask u is there a store closer to u where could be delivered and u get it from there. I hope they have a bit of cop on and do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Look lads, at the end of the day, its a balls and all with COVID, but regardless of how you feel towards gamestop or any other retail outlet, they're staffed by ordinary people with families as well.
    We'll get our consoles when we get them, there's no point in getting overly bogged down in it, or raging if they don't implement a delivery or collection service. They're a non-essential retail outlet, so will end up having to follow whatever guidelines are put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Smyths have a banner up on their site for the Level 4 store.
    Letterkenny Store Update: Click & Collect still available in line with Government Level 4 restrictions. Shop Online - Pay Online - Collect at our Letterkenny Store!

I don't think there will be an issues picking them up on launch day. They will most likely assign slots and stagger the pickups in a safe manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Whenever you are told you are guarenteed a console I'd be paying off in full in store so that in the event of a lockdown its plain sailing as they just ship your order. Who knows the systems in place and if it can be easily moved online or given codes etc to pay up.

I have a Q order with gamestop for the series X but don't really mind when I get it as I have not upgraded the telly yet and need to Trade my One X in anyway. I don't want to be without it by trading in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Mr.S wrote: »
    Have to say, very impressed with how Xbox have marketed / managed the lead up to the launch.

Xbox Series X /S is dominating all the news sites and on YouTube with positive reviews over PS5. Throw in all the news about backwards compatibility, EA Access, GamePass, xCloud and Bethesda and I'm very happy with my choice :D

The PS5 will still outsell it, but I don't think it's going to be a massive margin.

Sony's lead is massive in most markets for last gen and those PS4 customers will get a PS5 as they are invested in the ecosystem, MS do well in the US but gets battered in Europe and don't sell anything in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Sony's lead is massive in most markets for last gen and those PS4 customers will get a PS5 as they are invested in the ecosystem, MS do well in the US but gets battered in Europe and don't sell anything in Japan.

Yeah I heard chap in gamestop say on Monday to customer their pre orders are about 80% PS5 20% xbox.

do you have a link to the NPHET recommendation? I don't see any mention online?

I read it on various news sites last night. I think RTE have just put an article up about it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1016/1171882-coronavirus-ireland/

I 100% agree with your follow on comment though. We will get the units when we get them, just with a 6 week lockdown, that brings us up to Xmas and I don't think its feasible for stores like Smyths to close given all of the children's presents needed. We need level 5 but we cant afford to go back to March/April (full store closures etc)

Anyway, time will tell.

• Advertisement

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Yeah I heard chap in gamestop say on Monday to customer their pre orders are about 80% PS5 20% xbox.

I'm not buying that. Sure that's a bigger gap than 2013 and that was the lowest Microsoft have ever been.

RGARDINR wrote: »

I really wonder about that?

How come there's not an Xbox to be had anywhere then and huge companies' websites crashed on pre-order day due to demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Would also be surprised if the gulf was that large. Although Xbox marketing here is miniscule compared to Playstation.
    Any time I've been into my local GS the staff were always pro-playstation. I guess that could be because it made more money for them too.

Posted that a few days ago alright, hard to know how long it will keep Gamestop afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Do CeX require a controller with a console when trading in?

Will be looking to sell my One X in next few weeks, but I only have my Sea of Thieves controller and one from the design lab, neither of which I really want to give up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

maximoose wrote: »
    Do CeX require a controller with a console when trading in?

Will be looking to sell my One X in next few weeks, but I only have my Sea of Thieves controller and one from the design lab, neither of which I really want to give up
    I would say buy a cheap wired controller you will lose some trade in value.

fifth wrote: »
    Would also be surprised if the gulf was that large. Although Xbox marketing here is miniscule compared to Playstation.
    Any time I've been into my local GS the staff were always pro-playstation. I guess that could be because it made more money for them too.

Its really surprising alright. The one thing Sony had last generation was better exclusives. As an Xbox gamer, I can 100% admit to that, but the playing field has changed massively in the past 12 months.

Microsoft have had the most powerful console last gen (albeit towards the end of the generation) in the One X and they have the most powerful console for the next gen in the Series X. Couple that with a far superior infrastructure, xCloud, Game Pass Ultimate, Azure Servers and not to mention that Microsoft are buying up studios like they are a bag of penny sweets and you can no longer say that Sony is the better choice. If anyone had any doubts as to Microsoft's commitment to gaming, their doubts were well and truly put to rest with the acquisition of Bethesda for an eye watering 7.5 billion dollars.

The ONLY reason that PS5 will remain massively popular is because people have built up scores of trophies, friends and a large gaming library that they want to continue to play through on the PS5. I get that and I cant argue with that logic but if I was a neutral or someone looking to get back into gaming, I would be going with an Xbox purely because to me Microsoft are driving gaming at the moment and have been since One X.

Exclusives have always been Microsoft's downfall, but I really don't see this being the case with the next gen. It is also the only reason Microsoft have launched the Series S, it is to get Sony players to buy a cheaper Xbox with Game Pass bundled into it so that they can nab a subscription and possibly show Playstation gamers what they will be missing in the next 2 years.

The PS5 will be massively successful and will likely sell more than the Series X over the course of the next gen, but the reasons for that are no longer as obvious as the last gen. Gamers are in for a treat with the next gen, both Sony and Microsoft will do very well and as gamers we need that to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just back from Gamestop Dundrum, they refused my Xbox saying the seal was broken and its been tampered with. I never touched any seal and most images I've looked up online look the exact same as mine.

Can anyone here see what they were talking about?

https://imgur.com/a/5xR5R7N

Dunno whether to try another Gamestop or will they just give me the same ****e

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Just back from Gamestop Dundrum, they refused my Xbox saying the seal was broken and its been tampered with. I never touched any seal and most images I've looked up online look the exact same as mine.

Can anyone here see what they were talking about?

https://imgur.com/a/5xR5R7N

Dunno whether to try another Gamestop or will they just give me the same ****e

Its missing the sticker over the hex screw on the left hand side. You bought the unit new?

Edit - Actually just check my One X and it is the same as yours and I bought it new and have never opened them. I would back to Gamestop and ask them to clarify what they are talking about.

Advertisement