Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Now if gamestop just told people u have it on launch day or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Now if gamestop just told people u have it on launch day or not

Surely they can’t know themselves until they have the pallets in their warehouses in the days before launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

quad_red wrote: »
    Surely they can’t know themselves until they have the pallets in their warehouses in the days before launch?

Surely they should know they are currently due to get X amount of consoles - and how they plan to distribute them stores/online right now.

That stock might increase prior to launch... but they should have an idea of who the first wave, at least, is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have two weeks annual leave booked thinking I'd be able to sit down for 2 weeks and just play the Series X, hope a collection slot system works out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'd argue the Bethesda coup has done more to get heads turning than Halo Infinite.

Halo's always been the most Xbox thing ever. It's not going to convert a huge number of people who aren't already into the ecosystem.

Game Pass is what swayed me. Some brilliant games on there. The only game I'll probably buy on launch is GTA. It's the end of me buying games and not playing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Derek..

Hopefully the partnership with Microsoft will get Gamestop running like a decent company one day so this pre order fiasco won't happen again.

Oh and thanks for all the opinions a few pages back about battery options for the controller.

I have my own Series X pre order with Microsoft, but still worried about my young nephews with the joke that is Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Surely they should know they are currently due to get X amount of consoles - and how they plan to distribute them stores/online right now.

That stock might increase prior to launch... but they should have an idea of who the first wave, at least, is now.

I was told by a manager in gamestop that the shops find out how much stock they will be getting about 2 weeks before launch, they then need to ring everyone that preordered and let them know if they're getting it on launch day or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I was told by a manager in gamestop that the shops find out how much stock they will be getting about 2 weeks before launch, they then need to ring everyone that preordered and let them know if they're getting it on launch day or not.

That seems mad, I've already paid 500 euros to Harvey Norman, surely they wouldn't take that unless they knew they would have stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Probes wrote: »
    That seems mad, I've already paid 500 euros to Harvey Norman, surely they wouldn't take that unless they knew they would have stock.

why have you paid up front for it? tbh the only retailer Id do that for is microsoft themselves. Everyone else hasn't a notion of stock allocation and you could find yourself console-less and at the mercy of whoevers running the order system at Harvey Normans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Blanchy90 wrote: »

I heard the same, and that they are more confident about Xbox preorder fulfillments.

Off topic, Nintendo seem to having a good Covid-crisis. Two Switch sales, while I was dropping in my One X for testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

Probes wrote: »

I think alot of this comes down to expectations from previous launches, everyone who pre orders thinks Nov 10 console in hand ( myself included but giving ms the few days for delivery).

Now no retailer has told any of us we are getting it on that day regardless of when we paid for it al have said expected date or launching.

Hopefully we all get sorted as close to launch as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Derek.. wrote: »
    Hopefully the partnership with Microsoft will get Gamestop running like a decent company one day so this pre order fiasco won't happen again.

That deal is just for Gamestop to use MS products, they will be using MS software such as Dynamics 365 and they will use surface hardware in their shops, how they are run won't change because of this because that has nothing to do with MS.

dor83 wrote: »
    That deal is just for Gamestop to use MS products, they will be using MS software such as Dynamics 365 and they will use surface hardware in their shops, how they are run won't change because of this because that has nothing to do with MS.

Thanks for clearing that one up, I've learned not to go near Gamestop anyway but it would of been nice to see a change

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have mine pre-ordered with Xtra Vision, they're not answering their phone for some reason... starting to get worried now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

dor83 wrote: »

I think it includes a deal where Gamestop get some downstream revenue from future digital sales on Xboxs they introduce to the eco system. Could be a factor when it comes to Gamestop employees pushing Xboxs hard at POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Akrasia wrote: »
    I have mine pre-ordered with Xtra Vision, they're not answering their phone for some reason... starting to get worried now

I know I've been gone quite a while at this stage but do they still exist? I find that very surprising

Edit - ahhhhhh, I get from the thanks it received that it's a joke. . . I get jokes :D

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well I don't believe Sony are selling and manufacturing 4 times more consoles at launch than Xbox.

Didn't even happen at last generation launch which was a disaster for Xbox.
    Agreed. Based on how quickly everything sold out, I believe Sony and MS will both sell everything they can manufacture between now and xmas. People are mad for consoles and anything on a shelf will sell.

So the question is whether Sony have the capacity to manufacture 4x more consoles, and I think that is unlikely.

Particularly as they using a very highly clocked APU (potentially low yield). And liquid metal TIM which is relatively tricky for mass-production. In addition there is simply more parts going into a PS5, more pieces of plastic, more assembly and production steps etc.

Finally, MS have been sending units out for weeks, and I have also seen photos of pallets of retail units in a warehouse over a week ago. They seem to be very on top of things.

There is definitely more interest in PS5, and more brand loyalty, I am sure they took more pre-orders. But in terms of units sold by the end of 2020 it will be a function of production capacity and it would not surprise me if MS are slightly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

why have you paid up front for it? tbh the only retailer Id do that for is microsoft themselves. Everyone else hasn't a notion of stock allocation and you could find yourself console-less and at the mercy of whoevers running the order system at Harvey Normans.

Wasn't given a choice, ordered online and they took the money. I'm pretty sure it said guaranteed for 10th Nov. I'm not particularly fussed they took the money or if they might be a wee bit late, but given the circumstances this winter I'm really looking forward to having a new toy for the darker days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I wonder how many Mammys and Daddies will accidentally order the wong xbox for their kids for christmas this year?

The names are really confusing, xbox one s, vs xbox series s both white, both €299, and xbox one x vs xbox seres x, both black, both 499

Especially considering that there is no option to order the new consoles on most retailers now, and lots of people will be trying to get their xmas shopping done early

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I wonder how many Mammys and Daddies will accidentally order the wong xbox for their kids for christmas this year?

The names are really confusing, xbox one s, vs xbox series s both white, both €299, and xbox one x vs xbox seres x, both black, both 499

Especially considering that there is no option to order the new consoles on most retailers now, and lots of people will be trying to get their xmas shopping done early

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.kotaku.com.au/2020/09/xbox-one-x-amazon-sales-whoops/amp/

It’s already happened and I’d say it’s going to keep happening....
    The day pre-orders went live, at one point the One X went up the sales ranking on Amazon 747%.

Just start naming them numerically, or sticking with ‘Xbox Scarlett’ etc

• Advertisement

Yeah, one of my kids wrote on his Santa list that he wants the black €500 xbox. I went to Smyths and told them that's what I want. They sorted me out on the spot, it's already wrapped and now I'm just counting down the days until Xmas to see the look of excitement on his face.

One X ceased production some months ago so there shouldn't be too many One X units on shelves any more. There are plenty of One S's around so i'm sure there will be some mistaken orders. But I don't have much sympathy, we've all had to buy gifts we had no clue about, just do your research.

Their naming scheme is daft though and they should have sorted it out generations ago. There was no foresight behind the 360 and Xbox One names. Lets just get a name for this one and let whoever is around in 7 years worry about the next one. I know they didn't want to be "one behind" the Playstation but they could have just skipped a number like Apple. There would be some short-term memes but then it would be done and sorted for the future. Xbox 4, Xbox 5 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

One X ceased production some months ago so there shouldn't be too many One X units on shelves any more.

While I was buying the XBox S X on Amazon - several of the older One S appeared in the search ready to buy - in the panic that was that night It would have been very easy to do - especially on a mobile phone.

Should have been called just "X2" or something.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

The emails surfaced! Thanks Trump!

That email brings up an error for me

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Derek.. wrote: »
    That email brings up an error for me

Same, got excited too early x)

They really are a thoroughly professional company

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Curry’s finally sending out pre-order emails. Error message.

But at least I imagine that means we’ve had a console allocated... going in the right direction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.kotaku.com.au/2020/09/xbox-one-x-amazon-sales-whoops/amp/

It’s already happened and I’d say it’s going to keep happening....
    The day pre-orders went live, at one point the One X went up the sales ranking on Amazon 747%.

Just start naming them numerically, or sticking with ‘Xbox Scarlett’ etc

From the infosec people I follow on twitter, this was because scalpers had their bots set to buy the Series X bang on 8 o'clock, and Amazon didn't put it up until about 8:20. Apparently they didn't have exact match enabled, so a search for Series X would have returned the One X, and bought it straight away. Gives me a good feeling that scalpers screwed up.

Anyway, yes, Microsoft has never been good at naming their products. The hilarious thing now is that anyone going into Gamestop will be getting the hard sell from the staff there: "Oh you're looking for a Nintendo Playstation, step right this way, it's actually the Series X or S that you're looking for, it's by far the best....."

• Advertisement

Curry’s finally sending out pre-order emails. Error message.

But at least I imagine that means we’ve had a console allocated... going in the right direction.

If it's fixed within 7 days, and with how slow Currys are I'm nervous :pac:

Advertisement