Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Curry’s finally sending out pre-order emails. Error message.

But at least I imagine that means we’ve had a console allocated... going in the right direction.

Yep, got mine there. Email I mean :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derek..

It seems the emails being sent 1 by 1 was a crock of ****, since we all got it around the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Akrasia wrote: »
    I wonder how many Mammys and Daddies will accidentally order the wong xbox for their kids for christmas this year?

The names are really confusing, xbox one s, vs xbox series s both white, both €299, and xbox one x vs xbox seres x, both black, both 499

Especially considering that there is no option to order the new consoles on most retailers now, and lots of people will be trying to get their xmas shopping done early

Who cares? As long as I get mine I couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Derek.. wrote: »
    It seems the emails being sent 1 by 1 was a crock of ****, since we all got it around the same time

Exactly, this wasn’t one person sitting down and sending these out.

Such an infuriating tease seeing the ‘complete your payment’ link and it just dies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Toying with the idea of getting the one from Currys and also the one I have from Gamestop. If it is the case that GameStop confirm I have a console in their store and someone here is looking for one I'll gladly hold one for them.

• Advertisement

Exactly, this wasn’t one person sitting down and sending these out.

Such an infuriating tease seeing the ‘complete your payment’ link and it just dies :(

Yeah I thought the worry was finally over for me too.

Hopefully Currys let us pay soon and they can manage level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭BenK

Who cares? As long as I get mine I couldn’t care less.

That's unnecessarily mean spirited.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

BenK wrote: »
    That's unnecessarily mean spirited.

Most people who have pre-ordered if they are truly honest feel the same way.

Edit- especially with the lockdown now happening you will see people losing their ****

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Emmmm lads, so we going to lockdown until late November. What will gamestop do now, if we preordered it in shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Emmmm lads, so we going to lockdown until late November. What will gamestop do now, if we preordered it in shop?

They said on rte that click and collect will still be available so hopefully GameStop do that.

Or maybe we'll have the option for courier delivery? I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra for delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Imagine sending people an email to collect 500 euro and then having that link broken all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

CLICK AND COLLECT IS FINE

any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet

https://www.gov.ie/en/....ie/essentialretail/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

bennyl10 wrote: »
    CLICK AND COLLECT IS FINE

any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet

https://www.gov.ie/en/....ie/essentialretail/

That link seems to be broken or updated.

I've added the newer link here.

The bit regarding click and collect retailers is at the bottom of page linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

bazzz wrote: »
    That link seems to be broken or updated.

I've added the newer link here.

The bit regarding click and collect retailers is at the bottom of page linked.

Presumably delivery is fine too then? Seems mad just to offer click and collect, there's no where near me so I'm out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Probes wrote: »
    Presumably delivery is fine too then? Seems mad just to offer click and collect, there's no where near me so I'm out of luck.

I'd imagine some of the retailers will offer delivery instead of click and collect. I'm sure we'll hear from the likes of GS and Smyths soon enough.

I'm only guessing that and the fact this for new console releases and it's big business.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gamestop are charging something like 4 euros for delivery. Well worth that for not having to go and book time off work to go into town for a collection time slot that will inevitably involve queuing anyway

They don’t guarantee 10th of Nov delivery anymore but that doesn’t bother me much. It’s my best chance of getting it by Christmas the way lockdown + + is lining up

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hey. I know im super late but looking to order the Xbox X. I see on GameStop that you can still put your name down for pre order for fifty euro. Few questions if people can help.
    if it doesn't appear that I can get one on release day or even Christmas , can I get the 50 euro refunded?

I also read that they are doing a trade in deal with the older xboxs. If I get a pre order can I do this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gamestop will probably implement what they did for the Deluxe version of FFVII where people who preordered it in store got a link to buy it from the website and a discount code for the amount that was paid off the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

https://youtu.be/aQ22I9WGIvw

New digital foundry on thermals and acoustics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

https://youtu.be/aQ22I9WGIvw

New digital foundry on thermals and acoustics

Yup and once again mentioned how quiet the One X is whereas mine is anything but quiet when HDR kicks in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah if the One X is in a TV cabinet and you are playing Gears 5 for example, the fan does start to spin up and you can really hear the console. It is certainly not whisper quiet.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Yeah if the One X is in a TV cabinet and you are playing Gears 5 for example, the fan does start to spin up and you can really hear the console. It is certainly not whisper quiet.

Mine is on an open shelf, fully exposed on 2 sides, a few inches of space on the other two and about a foot of space to the next shelf above. I did read something once about some thermal paste issues being not uncommon which I'll have a look at myself when I eventually pick up a XSX. And just to emphasise, mine is bad, playing at night with TV volume down low it would completely drown out the sound of the game, headset it a must.

Anyway sorry for the derail, new shiny xbox, yay!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's all down to the thermal paste application, some of them are down right shocking. It's grand at the start, but once it settles in and dries out a bit, it loses some of it's ability. Properly applied it's near silent in most games.

Easy enough to replace yourself, so long as you can follow a YouTube video, but you shouldn't need to. I'd imagine that this problem has been corrected for the Series X, as it's a common enough complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Hey. I know im super late but looking to order the Xbox X. I see on GameStop that you can still put your name down for pre order for fifty euro. Few questions if people can help.
    if it doesn't appear that I can get one on release day or even Christmas , can I get the 50 euro refunded?

I also read that they are doing a trade in deal with the older xboxs. If I get a pre order can I do this?

Thanks

If your only putting in an order now it's very unlikely you'll get one by Xmas.

I asked GameStop when I preordered any you can gets full refund on a deposit at any time.

They were accepting trade ins with preorders, not sure if that's still the case now with the new restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mikew1985

theteal wrote: »
    Mine is on an open shelf, fully exposed on 2 sides, a few inches of space on the other two and about a foot of space to the next shelf above. I did read something once about some thermal paste issues being not uncommon which I'll have a look at myself when I eventually pick up a XSX. And just to emphasise, mine is bad, playing at night with TV volume down low it would completely drown out the sound of the game, headset it a must.

Anyway sorry for the derail, new shiny xbox, yay!

Mine was the same to the extent that I started to get shutdowns to prevent overheating.

I opened it up and replaced the thermal paste, pretty much silent now. Thps was sending it onto overdrive on the menus before I did it and now it's not much more than a faint fan noise.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Imagine sending people an email to collect 500 euro and then having that link broken all day.

I tried contacting the store I've to collect from to see if they can help but they're not answering the phone.
    No answer from customer service either.

The email said I have 7 days to pay so I hope I don't lose out over their negligence

mikew1985 wrote: »
    Mine was the same to the extent that I started to get shutdowns to prevent overheating.

I opened it up and replaced the thermal paste, pretty much silent now. Thps was sending it onto overdrive on the menus before I did it and now it's not much more than a faint fan noise.

Just the one shutdown for me, playing Rocket League maybe a year ago - that probably shows how little I play the bloody thing. Yeah I'll open her up and apply some paste (I'm sure I have some left in my PC parts/nik-naks box in the attic). Will wait until I get the new yoke just in case I break anything.

Although I'm thinking now that I may get a Sony XF90 (just got 120Hz upgrade, more HDMI 2.1 features promised) along with my XSX around March and move my gaming into the back room - leave the XOX in the main living room for the Disney+ crowd (which will negate the need to open the box)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

theteal wrote: »
    Just the one shutdown for me, playing Rocket League maybe a year ago - that probably shows how little I play the bloody thing. Yeah I'll open her up and apply some paste (I'm sure I have some left in my PC parts/nik-naks box in the attic). Will wait until I get the new yoke just in case I break anything.

Although I'm thinking now that I may get a Sony XF90 (just got 120Hz upgrade, more HDMI 2.1 features promised) along with my XSX around March and move my gaming into the back room - leave the XOX in the main living room for the Disney+ crowd (which will negate the need to open the box)

I'd never heard of issues with current gen Xbox. My PS4 Pro is unreal with the amount of noise it makes, you need headphones, there is no other choice!

Some One X consoles are quieter than others because the chips are under or over-volted relative to other ones. They have a binning and fine-tuning process which they call the Hovis method.

There are also variances in fan quality and thermal sensor calibration. Most consoles use several brands of fan (to avoid dependence on one vendor) and although they are supposed to be designed to the same spec, some are just better than others.

Thermal paste application doesn't really matter unless you are deliberately taking the mick. The difference between applying perfectly and heaping it on is negligible. It does dry up over time but One X consoles should not be affected by this yet.

Modern high-powered consoles should not be used in closed-back TV cabinets.

If you smoke indoors, the heatsink will gunk up very quickly. The fins get sticky and dust sticks to them, it just stops working properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Probes wrote: »
    I'd never heard of issues with current gen Xbox. My PS4 Pro is unreal with the amount of noise it makes, you need headphones, there is no other choice!

It varies from game to game, most were fine on mine, but destiny 2 made it sound like there was a mini hurricane going on.

Advertisement