Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It does dry up over time but One X consoles should not be affected by this yet.

Except that's not the lived experience of a lot of people, including me. It was extremely loud during RDR2, I took it apart, removed the dried and flaking paste, applied my own, put it back together, and it was good as new, almost silent during RDR2.

I didn't change anything else, there was no build up of gunk or dust inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

When are Microsoft likely to take the cash for preorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My One X gets fairly loud with certain games so now I just turn up the TV volume

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fournine8nine

So I’ve pre ordered the Xbox one series X from smyths which is out the 10th of November. Anyone knows what happenes now as I paid in story will they just look for online payment and **** it or?

Haha, you guys are giving me flashbacks. I used to play PUBG with a guy who obviously had the dodgy thermal paste on his One X. We could throw a smoke at him any time during a game and that would be it, his xbox would overheat and shut down :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Carroller wrote: »
    When are Microsoft likely to take the cash for preorders?

I've read anywhere from 10 days before to a day or two before shipping. Hard to tell to be honest. Would have preferred just pay for it when ordering to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Has anyone contacted currys about what the deal is with the broken preorder emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Never heard a sound from the One X doing anything. Just the power on and off beep.

Remember the 360 though, that was noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've read anywhere from 10 days before to a day or two before shipping. Hard to tell to be honest. Would have preferred just pay for it when ordering to be honest.

My only worry is that my bank (KBC) reject the payment because of all this annoying online verification malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Has anyone contacted currys about what the deal is with the broken preorder emails?

Just had a look at their TeamKnowhow page on Twitter and they are saying to people that they are aware of the issue and hope to have it fixed today.

Edit: just copying it here ‪‘We are currently working on this issue and hope to get this resolved for all our Irish customers by today. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this - we are extending the deadline to pay until Thursday’ ‬

Painful though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Oh crap, never even copped I won't be able to bring my console into Gamestop for trading in on the 10th...

I'd consider bringing in the One X before the shops close, but I don't know if Gamestop have one reserved for me. Argh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So I’ve pre ordered the Xbox one series X from smyths which is out the 10th of November. Anyone knows what happenes now as I paid in story will they just look for online payment and **** it or?

Most likely they'll give you a call looking for payment. No harm in giving them a call yourself, see what they say. I'd doubt that they'd do payment on collection.

Symths will be open for click and collect, so that's most likely how they're going to do it, but maybe they'll try and deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marko83

Currys payment link now loading but receiving an error when i enter my email address

Mod Note: I've merge in a thread looking for more info about their preorder status now that the lockdown is back, and renamed the thread to better reflect what's going on.

I'm open to a separate thread for orders/preorders, let me know if you'd prefer that.

Marko83 wrote: »
    Currys payment link now loading but receiving an error when i enter my email address

Got a few emails in a row from them, one has finally worked.

All paid for now, woohoo!!

Got a few emails in a row from them, one has finally worked.

All paid for now, woohoo!!

Got 7 emails there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Got the preorder paid! Just a question, is Currys not delivering? I could've sworn it was going to be delivered rather than collection. And now with the Level 5 lockdown, Currys won't be open I don't think?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mikew1985

Some One X consoles are quieter than others because the chips are under or over-volted relative to other ones. They have a binning and fine-tuning process which they call the Hovis method.

There are also variances in fan quality and thermal sensor calibration. Most consoles use several brands of fan (to avoid dependence on one vendor) and although they are supposed to be designed to the same spec, some are just better than others.

Thermal paste application doesn't really matter unless you are deliberately taking the mick. The difference between applying perfectly and heaping it on is negligible. It does dry up over time but One X consoles should not be affected by this yet.

Modern high-powered consoles should not be used in closed-back TV cabinets.

If you smoke indoors, the heatsink will gunk up very quickly. The fins get sticky and dust sticks to them, it just stops working properly.

I keep my media centre open but I assure you the one X is affected by this and the application of thermal paste does make a difference. My console was at a stage of being practically non functioning. The thermal paste application was awful.

I honestly didn't expect it to make as much of a difference but it does, it's not about heaping a load on, it's about reapplying it and it makes a massive difference. Non smoker too.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Got the preorder paid! Just a question, is Currys not delivering? I could've sworn it was going to be delivered rather than collection. And now with the Level 5 lockdown, Currys won't be open I don't think?

I think they’d be classified as essential service as they provide office equipment....?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

mikew1985 wrote: »
    I keep my media centre open but I assure you the one X is affected by this and the application of thermal paste does make a difference. My console was at a stage of being practically non functioning. The thermal paste application was awful.

I honestly didn't expect it to make as much of a difference but it does, it's not about heaping a load on, it's about reapplying it and it makes a massive difference. Non smoker too.

That's mad, I hope they use a different paste for the Series X then! I've never had to replace paste on a PC before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Derek..

Marko83 wrote: »
    Got 7 emails there!

Nowhere near 7 for me.. but at least I've got the one saying it's fully paid in my name at last :D

I think they’d be classified as essential service as they provide office equipment....?

Essential retail
    any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet

Probes wrote: »
    That's mad, I hope they use a different paste for the Series X then! I've never had to replace paste on a PC before.

Yep, my only previous use of thermal paste was to apply it to a CPU and forget about it entirely for the entire lifecycle of the CPU.

I think the "Project Scorpio" consoles (of which mine is one) have a higher incidence of this, though that is anecdotal. It appears to have been less of an issue as they produced more.

I can't imagine the Series X will have this issue but it also won't materialise for a while as it took my console about a year and half to become noticeably louder.

mikew1985 wrote: »

The application method doesn't make a whole lot of difference. People have compared various methods - too much, too little, line, X, dot etc. Once you clamp the heatsink down the paste goes where it wants to go and the differences (between methods and quantities) are negligible.

However different TIMs perform differently. You can certainly use a higher performance TIM than stock - and that is most likely what you did. Your machine becomes quieter relative to itself.

However that's not what I am talking about, I am talking about why some One X consoles are seemingly quieter than others. It's not because of TIM application method.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Still can't complete my order on Currys.....keep getting "no translation for "message: check mail for preorder reminder" Any Ideas?

The application method doesn't make a whole lot of difference. People have compared various methods - too much, too little, line, X, dot etc. Once you clamp the heatsink down the paste goes where it wants to go and the differences (between methods and quantities) are negligible.

However different TIMs perform differently. You can certainly use a higher performance TIM than stock - and that is most likely what you did. Your machine becomes quieter relative to itself.

However that's not what I am talking about, I am talking about why some One X consoles are seemingly quieter than others. It's not because of TIM application method.

Thanks Mr Patronising.

Maybe I'll put it more plainly so you don't try to "well actually" us to death for the rest of thread. The original Thermal paste is ****, whether that is solely the quality of it or the application itself I can't say for certain. It's possibly a mixture of both being **** paste and poor application - my own colse for example had an application I would not describe as evenly distributed.

So it is an issue, just look into the number of tutorials on how to do it and people who have reported issues with it and the subsequent reduction of the noise level of the console.

The Hovis method is something entirely different and yes that will impact on the db level of noise emanating from different consoles to some degree. None of us are talking about that or disputing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Not working for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

I trade my xbox x in Gamestop have my old xbox one to keep me busy till I get my xbox series x.I also still have my ps4 pro might try sell that on adverts or on facebook.

Has anyone used Smyth's click and collect? I'm planning on paying the balance with some cash I found down the back of the couch. I assume this is OK, and they won't be pushing for a contactless, card only transaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Doyler99 wrote: »
    Still can't complete my order on Currys.....keep getting "no translation for "message: check mail for preorder reminder" Any Ideas?
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Not working for me either.

Click the link

Enter your email address and click the buttom

It'll give an error but check your emails. A new email will come in from Currys.

Click that link and check your information is correct and pay in whatever method you're going for.

Advertisement