Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

For anyone who managed to complete Curry's payment does it involve getting/using a voucher code. In the Facebook/Twitter help chats the first thing they keep asking is what's my "Voucher Code". Maybe I just haven't got that far in the process but the only thing I've got is the mail to complete payment with the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Just got the below message from Curry on twitter its a complete joke paid the 5eu and never was able to complete the order because the link was broken.

Good morning sorry for the delay in replying, unfortunately the deadline for the Xbox to complete the order has now closed and we can not process any more pre-orders for the console, we accept our apologies as we do understand the upset this must cause but unfortunately we are unable to process it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

For anyone who managed to complete Curry's payment does it involve getting/using a voucher code. In the Facebook/Twitter help chats the first thing they keep asking is what's my "Voucher Code". Maybe I just haven't got that far in the process but the only thing I've got is the mail to complete payment with the link.

They might be referring to your preorder number. It goes something like this PRE000XXXXX

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    They might be referring to your preorder number. It goes something like this PRE000XXXXX

I had a pre order reference and they are saying its too late to complete the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Advertisement

Looks like curry's were running some kind of scam deadline for completing pre orders has passed and they are not putting out any more stock. I paid 5eu and never got a link that worked so couldnt pay. They are also refusing to refund the 5eu.I wonder did they purposelly take extra pre orders to pocket 5eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Legits wrote: »
    Just got the below message from Curry on twitter its a complete joke paid the 5eu and never was able to complete the order because the link was broken.

Good morning sorry for the delay in replying, unfortunately the deadline for the Xbox to complete the order has now closed and we can not process any more pre-orders for the console, we accept our apologies as we do understand the upset this must cause but unfortunately we are unable to process it.

‘We accept our apologies’
    I bet they do

The whole process with Curry’s was a joke, very badly managed. I feel like I was one of the lucky ones to actually get one in the end (after jumping through a lot of hoops).

I wonder what remedy they will have to provide for people who were unable to complete their pre-order because of issues on Curry’s part, who then refuse to refund the deposit...

‘We accept our apologies’
    I bet you do

The whole process with Curry’s was a joke, very badly managed. I feel like I was one of the lucky ones to actually get one in the end (after jumping through a lot of hoops).

I wonder what remedy they will have to provide for people who were unable to complete their pre-order because of issues on Curry’s part, who then refuse to refund the deposit...

Have been on to them and they are not offering any remedy at all. Not sure what I can do now. Have asked them to lodge a formal complaint but they are just ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Curry's are an absolute joke with this. Terrible communication, links that don't work and now won't refund the 5 quid. I know it's only 5 quid but it's the principle of the matter. Is there anywhere else still stocking the Series X? I'm assuming I won't have it this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Have been on to them and they are not offering any remedy at all. Not sure what I can do now. Have asked them to lodge a formal complaint but they are just ignoring it.

Where are you based? If GameStop get back to me with a preorder and you’re nearby you can have mine

• Advertisement

Where are you based? If GameStop get back to me with a preorder and you’re nearby you can have mine

Cheers Fuzzy I'm in Kerry but have an uncle in Waterford that could collect if you manage to get the Gamestop one. I'd deffo owe you one

Cheers Fuzzy I'm in Kerry but have an uncle in Waterford that could collect if you manage to get the Gamestop one. I'd deffo owe you one

I'll keep you in the loop anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Can anyone suggest a good hard drive as an expansion for the new Series consoles. I'm not pushed about getting the official expansion or getting an SSD as the external but not sure what's the next best thing with regard to write speeds, usb 3 etc or if they even make a difference. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I thought it was a funny self deprecating joke when the Snoop Dogg video came out, assuming they built one fridge that they have had a HQ somewhere.

But if they've built loads of these things and are sending them out on massive pallets to a bunch of privileged youtubers, it starts to come across as pretty distasteful in the midsts of a pandemic, recession and climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    But if they've built loads of these things and are sending them out on massive pallets to a bunch of privileged youtubers, it starts to come across as pretty distasteful in the midsts of a pandemic, recession and climate crisis.

I'm baffaled how you came to that conclusion? What does a pandemic, a recession or a climate crisis have to do with Microsoft sent out an advertisement piece?

quokula wrote: »

Had you watched the video they said only 3 had been made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Anyone manage to get the new Currys link to work, it just wont load for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a good hard drive as an expansion for the new Series consoles. I'm not pushed about getting the official expansion or getting an SSD as the external but not sure what's the next best thing with regard to write speeds, usb 3 etc or if they even make a difference. Thanks

There's no way you want to pair a mechanical drive on the new xbox.
    Its like getting a ferrari and sticking a fiesta engine in it.
    The future is SSD and there's no going back to the old mechanical drives.
    Unless you use it purely for storage only and not actually running the games from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So are people getting dedicated external SSD thingies (I've not looked but assume they exist)? Or a standard "internal" SSD connected via a USB3 to SATA adapter do the job? I would guess the hodge-podge approach would save a few quid. Any real down-sides?

theteal wrote: »
    So are people getting dedicated external SSD thingies (I've not looked but assume they exist)? Or a standard "internal" SSD connected via a USB3 to SATA adapter do the job? I would guess the hodge-podge approach would save a few quid. Any real down-sides?

Huge downsize.
    USB speeds are nowhere closed to pcie 4 which is what the internal and the expansion kit use.
    Fine for storage as I called out above but not for playing games. It will be too damn slow.
    I found this below for the non-techs to read and understand.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/xbox/153705-xbox-series-x-series-s-seagate-storage-expansion-card

To put it simpler terms nvme storage (it uses pci-e slots) is 3-4 times faster than usb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Blazer wrote: »
    There's no way you want to pair a mechanical drive on the new xbox.
    Its like getting a ferrari and sticking a fiesta engine in it.
    The future is SSD and there's no going back to the old mechanical drives.
    Unless you use it purely for storage only and not actually running the games from it?

Ye it's just for storage and will transfer to the internal SSD when playing the games

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Ye it's just for storage and will transfer to the internal SSD when playing the games

any bog standard usb3 hard drive will do then really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Blazer wrote: »
    Huge downsize.
    USB speeds are nowhere closed to pcie 4 which is what the internal and the expansion kit use.
    Fine for storage as I called out above but not for playing games. It will be too damn slow.
    I found this below for the non-techs to read and understand.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/xbox/153705-xbox-series-x-series-s-seagate-storage-expansion-card

To put it simpler terms nvme storage (it uses pci-e slots) is 3-4 times faster than usb.

Oh yeah, purely for additional storage. The question was really whether there are downsides to bodging together an "external" SSD or actually forking out for a proper external SSD?

Oh yeah, purely for additional storage. The question was really whether there are downsides to bodging together an "external" SSD or actually forking out for a proper external SSD?

I've always just put an internal SSD in an enclosure that uses USB 3.0, because it used to be a tonne cheaper than buying an external SSD. I don't know if there's still a big price difference.

nah..no matter what drive will be in the enclosure it will do for storage only.
    No matter whether you botch one together or get a proper external sdd neither of them are fast enough for gaming directly off them so you might as well go the cheapest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Anyone have a spare pre order? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

They mention ‘advanced networking hardware’, that games will be able to be downloaded much quicker, woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

dan786 wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get the new Currys link to work, it just wont load for me.
    I just get message "Please check your email in a few minutes for an up to date link to complete your preorder. Many thanks"
    And just generates the same useless email.

• Advertisement

They mention ‘advanced networking hardware’, that games will be able to be downloaded much quicker, woohoo!

I can already download a 20gb update in about 10 mins, compared to my PS4 which seems to need hours for anything. I wonder how big the day one downloads will be.

Advertisement