Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boredom at Work - Whats Gets You Through

Options
  • 09-10-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

First time poster, long time reader

I am sooooooooooooo super bored at work - even Boards.ie is starting to bore me.

Any suggestions on how to kill the time?

I don't particularly want to leave as the money is good, the commute is fine and the people are a good laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What type of work is it, what's the environment, what can you get away with? I use to watch movies on an mp3 player, was in a factory. You could make use of your time learning something new, via podcasts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Audiobooks keep me sane

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Ive gone back to college part time. My job is less than taxing so I get to do my study and assignments in here.
    Even do a short course - keeps the brain going!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Monkey2019 wrote:
    Ive gone back to college part time. My job is less than taxing so I get to do my study and assignments in here. Even do a short course - keeps the brain going!

I use to study a bit in work to, it was handy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would you have time/privacy to yourself to maybe try to come up with side business ideas for yourself (whilst hiding it)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Western87

I have enough qualifications so don't plan on studying anymore.

I have plenty of time and space to do a side business, but finding the right one is the challenge.

Google and Board pages are all the same crap about small businesses like professional typist, proof reading, dog walking etc. At my level, I would not be putting myself out there to do that kind of mind numbing work.

Suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Myself I make work for myself to keep me from getting board as I don't get work from my manager.

So I come up with projects, action plans, site plans and so on go speak to the right people and there we go more work for myself.

As if I was waiting for my manager to give me work I will be grey and old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Western87 wrote: »
    First time poster, long time reader

I am sooooooooooooo super bored at work - even Boards.ie is starting to bore me.

Any suggestions on how to kill the time?

I don't particularly want to leave as the money is good, the commute is fine and the people are a good laugh.

Find a new job that pays better and also has a good commute.
    Otherwise you will just get pissed off, bored and eventually you wont be able to find a new job.
    If its that quiet then at some point you will be made redundant.

Move while you can and not being forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is no easy fix. I was in a similar situation 20 years ago. I was junior guy and had not been trained on or qualified to do much beyond answering certain queries on the telephone, answering emails and filing. Of an 8 hour shift I had about 5 hours work... people in my department were getting pissed off with me wandering around asking ‘can I do anything ?’ constantly...to try and fill time and make it go faster..... ultimately find a job you can get satisfaction from....

A job that has a reasonable and steady workload.

Bosses that are approachable and will listen to problems with a view to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Just left a job due to a similar situation.

Soul destroying going into work for 8 hours looking at a screen and trying to find work. Manager didnt want the hassle of managing me and just kept telling me to link in so and so, or align with this crowd. Bull****.

Killed my confidence and started to effect my mental health.

Handed in my notice last week and going back to a previous employer. Best decision ever.

Work takes up a lot of your life, need to be someway happy in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Was bored of Boards and Adverts/Donedeal so got onto Reddit, alot more drama to fill the day with reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

I’m leaving my current role due to the same reason. Stayed for a while due to good money and easy commute but it’s so tough sitting there bored every day. I can feel my IQ lowering every day!
    A few other things were getting to me and I finally made the decision. Sometimes the best thing is to walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Download an eBook and read it on your screen. To anyone walking by it look like you looks like you are reading a document and working, so better optics than being on boards all day. Keep at it long enough you might even get a promotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I think this thread should rather move to AH ?!?

Reddit / Learn a new skill or a new language / Read a book / Arrange to "work" from home more / Start a business / Answer questions about your field on Stack Exchange

I used to brainstorm and do coding outlines on paper in the classroom if I got bored and then code in the evening. Helped me along with starting my business. Also did research on competitors' features and used their trials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Jaysus I'd love to get paid to watch movies or be on the phone all day. What are you lot giving out about? Ur getting paid so keep quiet

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd love to get paid to watch movies or be on the phone all day. What are you lot giving out about? Ur getting paid so keep quiet

It's a bit manky to feel bored for half your waking day, though. Stress is worse but boredom is still bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Andrew00 wrote: »

Because you get stuck in that position forever. Not learning new skills, not advancing in your career, and if you do lose your job you will have a hard time finding a new one that pays well because you have lost your skill set doing nothing in the previous job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have enough qualifications so don't plan on studying anymore.
    Then do an interesting cert that is in no relation to your work. It'll keep you busy, and will have an objective (as opposed to aimlessly browsing reddit cat videos).

=-=

Current job is like your issue. Commute is not bad, people are fine, work is fine. But gotta upskill to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm changing to a job as trainer... can't be bored when you're training twenty people. That said, I'm not bored in my current job as antique furniture restorer but the pay is crap and it's quite a physical job which is causing me problems.

Tldr: Find a more interesting job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

reddit.com endlessly thought provoking, entertaining, enlightening and fun.

- The trick is to find the subset of subreddits that are going to engage you and to do so in sufficient numbers while adding to the list as time goes on.

And then you could mix it with having a work frap......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

And then you could mix it with having a work frap......

Frap or Fap ??? :eek: :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

The boredom has even knocked my spelling......

Advertisement