Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep failing at interviews

• 09-10-2019 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I've had 5 interviews in the past year and I don't know what I can do to get better at them. I prepare well in advance and I practice outlaid for days before the interview and I get into the room and I forget everything I want to say and never manage to get all I want to say out. I had an interview for a job that I really want today and I'd prepared so much and I forgot to say half of what I wanted. I'm so disappointed. I absolutely despise my current position and it's really starting to effect my mood and everything else in my life but I cannot afford to quit without getting a new job. It's quite a niche professional role so there aren't too many jobs that come up in the field and I actually feel like bawling knowing I'm stuck where I am for another while. :(
    Not sure what advice I need for the interviews. I've attended a carrs communication course also so really not sure where I go from here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

chooey wrote: »
    I've had 5 interviews in the past year and I don't know what I can do to get better at them. I prepare well in advance and I practice outlaid for days before the interview and I get into the room and I forget everything I want to say and never manage to get all I want to say out. I had an interview for a job that I really want today and I'd prepared so much and I forgot to say half of what I wanted. I'm so disappointed. I absolutely despise my current position and it's really starting to effect my mood and everything else in my life but I cannot afford to quit without getting a new job. It's quite a niche professional role so there aren't too many jobs that come up in the field and I actually feel like bawling knowing I'm stuck where I am for another while. :(
    Not sure what advice I need for the interviews. I've attended a carrs communication course also so really not sure where I go from here.

there are people who do this for a living, contact a career guidance person and arrange interview technique training.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You forgot to say half of the things you wanted to say, are you trying to say too much?

You only need to say what you think is relevant to the interviewer.

Really know the company and what they are looking for, then put yourself in their shoes.

What would they want to hear from the interviewee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Have you asked for feedback from the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

You're not alone there. It just comes easier for some people. What I found is that interviewing skills become rusty overtime, so generally it takes a few sub-par performances before you get back into the swing of things.

Ask a friend to do mock interviews, and keep it up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Be upfront, no harm light heartedly apologizing for your nerves during an interview - I mean you are human at the end of the day.

Don't rehearse things too much - just have a general idea of what main topics you'd like to discuss. If you try memorise everything you'll just trip up.

Remember you're also interviewing to see if it's a job that you want - turn it around and ask a few questions back too. You're not in there for a grilling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I think you might be practicing too much. Are you learning off long answers for each potential question you could be asked? That is a recipe to draw a complete blank when it comes down to the interview itself.

Take some common questions and break your answer or what you want to get across in to bullet points - a lot easier to learn and you can structure an answer around them instead of rattling off something pre-rehearsed. It might be coming across to the interviewer as unnatural rather than you being yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What sort of course was it you did? Have you ever done a mock interview and watched it back? It is one of the most toe-curling experiences in the world but it might help you spot some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

Just picking up on a few things you mentioned
    First of all there are many reasons a candidate doesn't get a job and you will never know all of them and most of them you cannot do anything about - So do not waste time trying to work out why you didnt get a role.
    Saying only half what you want to say in an interview is about right. There are often points that an interviewer simply do not ask so they may not care. When I conduct interviews I always allow time for the candidate to ask questions OR bring up any points that were not raised in the interview. So at that point you can make some additional comments but only if they are vital.

Finally a job interview is first and foremost a conversation, so approach it as such, in fact it is a conversation on your experience and attitudes so you are already an expert. So make sure though you build that rapport, listen to the questions you are asked and make sure that the interviews leaves with the thought that not only do you have the knowledge you are someone that they CAN work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What sort of course was it you did? Have you ever done a mock interview and watched it back? It is one of the most toe-curling experiences in the world but it might help you spot some things.

This is very good advice... ask a friend or a family member to get an interview script online and sit down with them and let them interview you... come up with a scenario where it’s say for a job / company in the real world you’d like... Film it with a smartphone or tablet, watch it back and identify areas where you and your interviewer think you can improve.. it might be a bit unnerving at first but it’s a worthwhile exercise for building technique and confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Interviews are horrible and not a true representation of someones character or work ethic imo, its all about performance and knowing how to talk the talk.
    Also, when it comes to interviews, many times the job is already gone to someone known to the employer, holding interviews is standard procedure, the candidate may have been picked days or weeks before hand.

Interview rejections are rarely personal.

I would ask for feedback though, you may just need to upskill or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Sorry to hear this. Do you just get really nervous when you go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

I've gone for interview for ~15 jobs over the past 9 months. I bombed almost all of the first 7 or so interviews - I rehearsed too much and put myself under too much pressure. Trying to recall prepared answers during the interview was a disaster.

It got so bad that I decided I couldn't do any worse by just doing the bare minimum preparation and just wing it on the day. I still knew the broad strokes of what I was going to say for the standard interview questions but at least my answers were going to be conversational rather than stilted. Completely turned around my interview success rate.

Building a rapport with the interviewer is key - this part is mostly luck - your personalities won't always be compatible. Be yourself regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

Thanks so much for all your replies. I'm not sure how to multi quote so I'll just answer some of the questions here.

I don't learn things off by heart for the questions but I do try and rehearse and repeat out loud so I know rough answers to the questions.

I have done an interview course before and it did help but I still just seem to blank when I go in to interviews. In the interview training course I did, they did videotape me and I went back over it with them which was awful but very helpful. I'm definitely really nervous when I go in to the interviews and I found that the one yesterday just jumped straight in and started asking a lot of technical questions about the role and I didn't get a chance to talk about my experience or go through my cv and as there were 6 on the panel all asking questions, it was hard to have a second even to think and try and get my experience into the answers. I also find that sometimes when they ask the question, I'm not sure exactly what they mean and I start answering in a different way to what they're looking for but again that's nerves.

It's hard as I've been searching for 3 years and only 7 positions have come up for a suitable position and I really wanted this position. I've requested feedback so hopefully they'll let me know.

Thanks again everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I'm definitely really nervous when I go in to the interviews

If serious nerves are really hindering your interview performance maybe ask your doc about getting a few beta blockers.

I have to give public talks a lot about my work and at the start I was a shaking mess (other's probably couldn't see it but I hated doing them). A colleague mentioned beta blockers to me and I started using them - i.ie. 1 low mg dose tablet 1 hour before I had to do a talk). They work amazingly well. Loads of high end professional speakers use them to calm nerves. They aren't addictive and I found work really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Have you asked for feedback from the interviews?
    Good point, at least then you will have something to improve on , maybe comptencies could be better, answers too short, etc.
    Stay positive, you'll get there in the end:)

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Just to give an update-I asked for feedback and it was better than expected. They had candidates that had more experience than me but that they saw potential. The main person on the panel emailed after that to say that if I want to go in and speak to him about possible future options that we can organise a meeting so I have one booked in two weeks time to discuss. Nothing might come from it but it's made me a little happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

I also find that sometimes when they ask the question, I'm not sure exactly what they mean and I start answering in a different way to what they're looking for but again that's nerves.

Ask them to clarify the question. I've done a few interviews on a panel and know a lot of people who have done plenty and one of the worst things people can do is not ask to clarify a question and just launch into giving an answer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

votecounts wrote: »

Good point, at least then you will have something to improve on , maybe comptencies could be better, answers too short, etc.
    Stay positive, you'll get there in the end:)

No potential employer is going to give you negative feedback that might leave them open to potential legal action. I would be very slow to rely on such feedback.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Just to give an update-I asked for feedback and it was better than expected. They had candidates that had more experience than me but that they saw potential. The main person on the panel emailed after that to say that if I want to go in and speak to him about possible future options that we can organise a meeting so I have one booked in two weeks time to discuss. Nothing might come from it but it's made me a little happier.

The thing to remember about interviews is that it is all about building relationships. When you get to the interview stage it's a case of confirming your CV and more importantly seen how you might fit into their world.

You have at least made one good contact out of the interview and I'd count that as a success. It's now a question of making the most out of the contact. Even if he can't offer you something now, hopefully he'll keep you in mind for the future and perhaps he can give you an introduction to others that might be able to offer you a position.

Research the guy before the meeting so that you are in a good position to build on the relationship, connect to him on linkedin and keep up the contact and ask him for recommendations or leads.

Thanks for the advice. I've connected on linkedin and am really looking forward to meeting in the couple of weeks. I really hope that something comes of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Lots of great advice so far.

All I wanted to say was don't beat yourself up. We're all wired differently, with each of us having pros and cons. You're just not that good at high pressure situations. But you've managed to get a job before, so we know you can do it.

Go down the route of professional help (interview training) and you'll get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Thanks for the advice. I've connected on linkedin and am really looking forward to meeting in the couple of weeks. I really hope that something comes of it.

I have been job hunting a few months now, did 5 interviews earlier this month alone, all went really well, got good vibes and I had more than the required experience for all 5 jobs.

I only heard back from 2 of the interviews (both no), the other 3 never even bothered to let me know or to send me a rejection.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to there being a candidate that had more experience or that they liked better. It doesn't mean that you weren't good, I know it's hard but try not to take it personally.

I am at the point now where I'm so fed up with doing interviews and getting nowhere, I hate the standard boring interview questions and situational reasoning stuff, it wears you down.

I'm trying to think of it as I didn't get those jobs because my ideal job is just around the corner so fingers crossed, keep looking, keep applying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I have been job hunting a few months now, did 5 interviews earlier this month alone, all went really well, got good vibes and I had more than the required experience for all 5 jobs.

I only heard back from 2 of the interviews (both no), the other 3 never even bothered to let me know or to send me a rejection.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to there being a candidate that had more experience or that they liked better. It doesn't mean that you weren't good, I know it's hard but try not to take it personally.

I am at the point now where I'm so fed up with doing interviews and getting nowhere, I hate the standard boring interview questions and situational reasoning stuff, it wears you down.

I'm trying to think of it as I didn't get those jobs because my ideal job is just around the corner so fingers crossed, keep looking, keep applying!!

Hi Fringe im job hunting too. you dont mind me asking ball park how long do interviews last ? Reason i ask is was in same job for all my life and didnt even interview to get that job :cool: I have actually never been interviewed and thus a bit nervous of the whole thing as im now unemployed and seeking work. I know of course if your going for some big CEO job there could be a few interviews but im just curious about the "general job" interviews if you get me;)

Hi Fringe im job hunting too. you dont mind me asking ball park how long do interviews last ? Reason i ask is was in same job for all my life and didnt even interview to get that job :cool: I have actually never been interviewed and thus a bit nervous of the whole thing as im now unemployed and seeking work. I know of course if your going for some big CEO job there could be a few interviews but im just curious about the "general job" interviews if you get me;)

I was pretty much the same as you, in a job for almost 20 years so rusty with interview situations. I left that job last year, did some contracting for a while and then this year started job hunting and had plenty of interviews!

I have found they last 30-45 minutes in my experience. Some have consisted of 30-40 verbal reasoning questions around situational type stuff (what would you do if..etc..) others have been standard run through CV with some typical interview questions thrown in (whats your 5 year plan etc) and some have been fairly light and more conversational.

I have been interviewed by mostly two people at a time, sometimes three. I suppose regardless of getting the job at least I'm getting interview practice now so that's a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I was pretty much the same as you, in a job for almost 20 years so rusty with interview situations. I left that job last year, did some contracting for a while and then this year started job hunting and had plenty of interviews!

I have found they last 30-45 minutes in my experience. Some have consisted of 30-40 verbal reasoning questions around situational type stuff (what would you do if..etc..) others have been standard run through CV with some typical interview questions thrown in (whats your 5 year plan etc) and some have been fairly light and more conversational.

I have been interviewed by mostly two people at a time, sometimes three. I suppose regardless of getting the job at least I'm getting interview practice now so that's a positive.

Cheers :) My job was 19 years so my cv is a tad light as never really upskilled which was a big error on my part.:o I just imagine going in getting grilled and trying to be caught out. Verbal reasoning i hadnt heard of but i have put in a link to some info on youtube for the OP too. sittin in front ofThree people being asked questions :eek: i need to join toastmasters too:o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSGrPz-5tQ

Cheers :) My job was 19 years so my cv is a tad light as never really upskilled which was a big error on my part.:o I just imagine going in getting grilled and trying to be caught out. Verbal reasoning i hadnt heard of but i have put in a link to some info on youtube for the OP too. sittin in front ofThree people being asked questions :eek: i need to join toastmasters too:o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSGrPz-5tQ

Most of the people who I have done interviews with were friendly and relaxed so that makes a big difference and put me at ease (they will expect some nervousness so don't worry).

It can seem daunting going in and trying to make sure you're including all three interviewers in the conversation with body language, eye contact at the same time as answering their questions but really conversation just flows and feels natural after a few minutes.

In saying that I've still to land a job so maybe I am doing it all wrong!

Advertisement