Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I accept this job?

• 09-10-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I was offered a job locally, met with the employer and accepted it (verbally) straight away, didnt even ask what the pay was, I genuinely was just so happy to be offered something, ive been telling people im starting this new job, all the while employer never mentioned a starting date or salary.
    Employer got in contact through email this week to tell me I start on Friday, I replied immediately stating Friday is fine and asked what the salary is for the job as employer never asked for bank details.
    Employer never replied to me.
    Does this sound odd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

I was offered a job locally, met with the employer and accepted it (verbally) straight away, didnt even ask what the pay was, I genuinely was just so happy to be offered something, ive been telling people im starting this new job, all the while employer never mentioned a starting date or salary.
    Employer got in contact through email this week to tell me I start on Friday, I replied immediately stating Friday is fine and asked what the salary is for the job as employer never asked for bank details.
    Does this sound odd?

Go in Friday n find out. Dont sign off the dole just yet! I wouldn't mention it first thing but by 10 o clock break id be finding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

enricoh wrote: »
    Go in Friday n find out. Dont sign off the dole just yet! I wouldn't mention it first thing but by 10 o clock break id be finding out.

Thanks, its not even full time, just a handful of hours a week but dont want to get wrapped into something thats unpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

from the way you describe it and part time hours etc... its almost certainly the minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Bicyclette

I'm guessing this might be cash in hand.

Have they asked you for your PPSN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah, its probably cash in hand so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bicyclette wrote: »
    I'm guessing this might be cash in hand.

Have they asked you for your PPSN?

My guess is dogey marking scam and not a real job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It sounds like a casual arrangement.
    Use it as a stop gap to find something more reliable, get your CV back out there.

To thine own self be true

It sounds like a casual arrangement.
    Use it as a stop gap to find something more reliable, get your CV back out there.

I cant afford to work for free, Im already a volunteer somewhere else, also its the lying that pisses me off like if they said in the beginning this was unpaid, I might of had a serious think about it and maybe even accepted. Its the exploitation and being taken advantage of that puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭the14thwarrior

explotation and being taken advantage of? eh you haven't even started yet and can still say no. there is no one forcing you to do anything.

maybe the next time you can ask some basic questions before you start before you commit yourself. So a good learning opportunity.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Does this sound odd?

How would you accept a job like this and not ask these basic questions- lift the phone straight away and just ask them ffs

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Does this sound odd?

How would you accept a job like this and not ask these basic questions- lift the phone straight away and just ask them ffs
    Yes, your attitude is all wrong OP.
    You sound like they are doing you a favour.
    When someone offers you a job, it's a 2 way contract.
    They are getting your labour and experience and you are getting a wage for those skills.
    So yes, pick up the phone tomorrow and introduce yourself to whoever does payroll and and say you are due to start on Friday and you are wondering what the hourly rate of pay is. Ask do you need to bring your bank details on Friday for setting you up for payment.
    Don't even mention if it is paid or unpaid because that shouldn't even be up for negotiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

+1 for Purple Mountain’s advice...

It’s not being pushy to contact a company to ask how much they are to pay you for giving them xx hours of your time and hard work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

I wouldn’t bother with the last two bits of advice. You sound delighted with the job offer and have a start date. It’s only two days till you start.

Go in and suss it out on Friday and you should be meeting your boss, just ask about pay there and then and suss our your weekly hours.

It’s just a mistake on your part not asking about wages before you accepted the role. Suss our what you will actually be doing and if does look like a cash in hand job then it’s up to yourself what you want to do or risk been caught by welfare.

I wouldn’t bother with the last two bits of advice. You sound delighted with the job offer and have a start date. It’s only two days till you start.

Go in and suss it out on Friday and you should be meeting your boss, just ask about pay there and then and suss our your weekly hours.

It’s just a mistake on your part not asking about wages before you accepted the role. Suss our what you will actually be doing and if does look like a cash in hand job then it’s up to yourself what you want to do or risk been caught by welfare.

No- OP needs to know exactly what they are being paid (or not) before they do a minutes work. Basic stuff. What if it’s unsalaried? You need to know exactly where you stand rather than wasting time on Friday

I wouldn’t bother with ‘likeabossboss’s’ advice, most ridiculous I’ve read on boards .... cash in hand, cheque or straight into your bank you need and deserve to know this before you drag yourself out of bed for them...

Strumms wrote: »
    I wouldn’t bother with ‘likeabossboss’s’ advice, most ridiculous I’ve read on boards .... cash in hand, cheque or straight into your bank you need and deserve to know this before you drag yourself out of bed for them...

The cost alone travelling into a job and your time- absolutely need to nail this down before lifting a finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's being assumed that this is unpaid and there is nothing to support that assertion.
    OP you need to find out. It's local , go in on Friday and clarify the rate of pay.

Strumms wrote: »

We don’t have enough information to go on. This job could be shoveling **** in a stable, few hours on a farm or a bit of waitressing at the weekend in a family owned pub.. We don’t know what the role is. Last thing the OP needs is going behind there bosses back straight away. Major red flag to me and wouldn’t last long where I work.

The OP is starting in TWO DAYS, just turn up and find out.

Getting out of bed for a few hours on a Friday is not going to kill you now is it? Especially when currently unemployed to better yourself? Would you rather be on the dole? Yes the OP should have gotten rates of pay before they accepted the offer but we don’t know the full story here, could be an oil lad who barely knows how to open email getting him the job.

OP go to the job and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work out but I’m completely sure all your questions will be answered on Friday when you turn up.

Best of luck with it.

We don’t have enough information to go on. This job could be shoveling **** in a stable, few hours on a farm or a bit of waitressing at the weekend in a family owned pub.. We don’t know what the role is. Last thing the OP needs is going behind there bosses back straight away. Major red flag to me and wouldn’t last long where I work.

The OP is starting in TWO DAYS, just turn up and find out.

Getting out of bed for a few hours on a Friday is not going to kill you now is it? Especially when currently unemployed to better yourself?

OP go to the job and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work out but I’m completely sure all your questions will be answered on Friday when you turn up.

Best of luck with it.

How is being assertive and asking about pay pre starting “going behind bosses back?” For me this is an absolute basic. If you don’t value your own time and work, no one else will.

It's being assumed that this is unpaid and there is nothing to support that assertion.
    OP you need to find out. It's local , go in on Friday and clarify the rate of pay.

The fact that remuneration wasn’t mentioned or discussed would raise a major red flag for me.
    Clarify this pre starting. Simple

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    How is being assertive and asking about pay pre starting “going behind bosses back?” For me this is an absolute basic. If you don’t value your own time and work, no one else will.

The OP is starting in two days!!! He’ll find out all that on Friday.

Before you start you need to have been made aware of...

Shift

Pay

Job Title

Responsibilities

The ‘ahhh just go in and you’ll find out soon enough‘ attitude only devalues you...

No employer worth their salt with any regard for their potential new hire would end a communication with said potential new hire without discussion of these four imperative subjects... mad to suggest they just turn up...

The OP is starting in two days!!! He’ll find out all that on Friday.

OP just raise the phone tomorrow to clarify. None of these silly guessing games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Does this sound odd?

Sounds odd indeed. your last paragraph is my focus. they were good enough to tell you a start date by e.mail. , but haven't yet replied to your question on the salary??
    i would put a phone call into the employer in the morning as you know you made a mistake by not asking and it's playing on you mind.
    if no satisfaction from that phone call.walk away.
    going of point alittle maybe here,but our country is full of so called employers who give themselves comfort in creating employment for others. In many cases that's all it is.not too keen on paying a fair and decent wage.
    before i get hammered for that yes there's equally many good employers too.

Thanks everyone. I dont want to just show up only to discover its unpaid or so low paid its not worth my time, id only be wasting my own time and the employers time.
    When I mention exploitation and being taken advantage of - no I havnt started anything yet but, its possibly the intention of the employer, to offer a 'job' which is actually a voluntary role or underpaid, theres no transparency in regards to pay which is very odd. I will not start without clear indication of the salary.

Did things work out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

I wouldn't even *ask* about my salary when I was hired for a role, I expect to be made an offer upon which I can decide whether I will accept the job or not.

In fact, when recruiters approach me on LinkedIn, I give them my expected salary indication straight away, so that neither of us are going to be wasting time. If my expectation is not realistic for the role, they'll tell me and that just saved me hours spent on phone calls, filling in application forms, potentially even going to the fekkin interview taking a day off my current job, etc.

Thanks everyone, I decided not to go ahead with the role. I questioned the pay before starting, I eventually got a number from the manager, way below minimum wage and cash in hand. The job would cost me money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what was the job? telesales?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, I decided not to go ahead with the role. I questioned the pay before starting, I eventually got a number from the manager, way below minimum wage and cash in hand. The job would cost me money.

I hope that you reported them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I feel like you should report them. They're going to take advantage of a weaker person.

For the love of god. Report them to the gardai.

I am okay with a bit of cash in hand working here and there but it should be done to help your employees, and also only for the odd job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what was the job??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I hope that you reported them.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

So who would you report them to?

• Advertisement

Gardai who wont do anything anyway but then at least you did what you could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

machaseh wrote: »
    Gardai who wont do anything anyway but then at least you did what you could.

I don't think it's a criminal matter, and as far as I'm aware the guards don't enforce workplace legislation or the like?

Well done for saying no, AF.
    You sound like someone with a high moral conscience.
    I hope you've learnt a lesson from this about valuing yourself more and not being afraid to speak up.
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

DEASP or Revenue, can report anonymously

Well done for saying no, AF.
    You sound like someone with a high moral conscience.
    I hope you've learnt a lesson from this about valuing yourself more and not being afraid to speak up.
    xx

Thanks Purple Mountain x

To the other posters, thanks again, not sure who I would report it too?
    I am lucky in that I am recently working part time so not reliant on this cash in hand job. TBH I cant see them finding anyone willing to accept.

• Advertisement
Advertisement