Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish forces have started bombing and attacking Kurdish people in Syria

Options
  • 09-10-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What is your opinion of this?

Me I am off the opinion that the Kurdish people just want to be able to have a state of there own so they can live as they want. They are no threat to Turkey and never were but a few years ago Turkey seemed to decide they were an enemy and started attacking them. It was only because of America and the UN wanted the Kurds as allies to fight ISIS that they stopped and now with all the American troops gone they seem to think they can force them out of there homes. I do not like Turkey and I do not like Erdogan either he is a dictator.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Putin pulling the strings I said previously the only way turkey would go after the Kurds was if trump pulled us troops aside to allow the Turks to wipe out the Kurds a job the Russians and assad couldn't do ..

This is up there with the betrayal of polish forces at the end of WW2 at the behest of Stalin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Say what you want about Trump, but he’s not a warmonger. His government are undertaking a rapid and strategic withdrawal from the Middle East. They have engineered energy independence on their own soil, and are leaving the geopolitics to the EU, Russia, Turkey, Iran and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Wonder if deal done by US regarding using Turkey as a base if they decide to go after Iran.

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Wonder if deal done by US regarding using Turkey as a base if they decide to go after Iran.

Doubt it ,

They were never going into Iran trump played that game quite smart ,
    Chances are we could see russian advisors appear in Turkey and the US forces asked to go home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Threat of impeachment of Putin's puppet meant they accelerated their plans.

• Advertisement

Threat of impeachment of Putin's puppet meant they accelerated their plans.

Funny timing isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Kurds left high and dry by the Yanks again... Surprise surprise , if only they had oil

Kurds left high and dry by the Yanks again... Surprise surprise , if only they had oil

If only an American was in charge in Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Trump was pressed by Erdogan to pull out. It was such a swift turnaround that he caught his own forces by surprise.

Basically Trump didn't see any reason to say no to Erdogan. The average American doesn't really care about foreign policy so he probably felt it would be unlikely to hurt him electorally and there wasn't any personal benefit to helping the Kurds. After all he'd already claimed credit for their hard work in helping to defeat ISIS. If they only had dirt on one of his political rivals...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Say what you want about Trump, but he’s not a warmonger. His government are undertaking a rapid and strategic withdrawal from the Middle East. They have engineered energy independence on their own soil, and are leaving the geopolitics to the EU, Russia, Turkey, Iran and China.

The U.S. did not become energy independent under Trump FYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The U.S. did not become energy independent under Trump FYI.

That was sarcasm, I thought. It's hard to tell these days, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »

Me I am off the opinion that the Kurdish people just want to be able to have a state of there own so they can live as they want. They are no threat to Turkey and never were but a few years ago

Would part of that kurdish state be made up of parts of other countries including part of turkey? That constitutes a threat to all those counties which the new kurdish state would be made from.

The kurds have been fooled Into fighting and let down again. Feel sorry for them. I'm surprised it's not them doing terrorist attacks in Europe and US because they would have a genuine gripe with them both for diddling them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1182053870744276993

just a note on what a mess this is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

johny33 wrote: »

It's such an incredibly stupid, horrendously cruel and unbelievably short-sighted thing to do.

(same set of tweets just easier to read :) )

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1182053870744276993.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Amazing as soon as Trump does something the views change.

America meddles in foreign countries and get hated for it.

Trump tries to stop that and he's criticised.

Of course no one is calling out the one who should be criticised....TURKEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

lleti wrote: »

Absolutely. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, it says it all. Never trust the Americans. Never believe they have your back, never believe they will help you if needed.

If I were the Kurds I'd be making links with the Russians and Chinese.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

Well, it says it all. Never trust the Americans. Never believe they have your back, never believe they will help you if needed.

If I were the Kurds, I'd check who doesn't own real estate in Turkey...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Turkey authorities have had an ingrained hatred for the Kurds since the rebellions and uprisings almost a hundred years ago. Turks must do military service for a couple of years and most of that is spent near the Kurdish areas taking pot shots a the Kurds.
    Erdogan is now taking advantage of attacking a battle hardened, but weary, ethnic nation, who are being left high and dry.
    My theory is that Erdogan, an Islamist who was happy to fund ISIS by buying oil from them, is attacking the Kurds, who are holding ISIS prisoners, knowing without U.S. support, that they won't be able to do both and the the camps will become less secure and prisoners will escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭buried

Kurdish forces now reportedly abandoning the prison camps that are holding captured hardcore ISIS fighters and their retinues.

Tremendous work.

Let's see how long the Turkish military will want to stick around once those lads get their hands on some toys.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In a year ISIS will be a thing again. Well done Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ollkiller

lleti wrote: »

The Kurd's have been american allies for decades now fighting on the same side against many enemies. And he's just thrown them under the bus. Do you even understand what allies are. Your analogy is total bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do they have anything the Russians and Chinese want? They don't even have a country which means they'd be the same mercenary army they are for the west. And that doesn't work out great for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

It is funny how people complain on whether the yanks go in or go out :P I don't blame them for getting out of the mess that is the middle east. Europe is developed now and there's no real reason for America to stay in anymore.

This is up there with the betrayal of polish forces at the end of WW2 at the behest of Stalin

Kind of. It might be more like how the NATO line stops at the German border with Poland even though the poles are one of the most active NATO members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

AMKC wrote: »

My opinion is that the UN should make a plan for a Kurdish state. Without the external pressure, Turkey won't accept any Kurdish state even if Turkey is not losing any land. And without a common plan, Kurds themselves won't agree where the border of their state should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Do they have anything the Russians and Chinese want? They don't even have a country which means they'd be the same mercenary army they are for the west. And that doesn't work out great for them

As a general ethnic group they have a large quantity of oil in Northern Iraq. However, there are internal divisions within the various Kurdish regions which means that this would probably not benefit the Kurds of Syria (also a lot of the profits from that oil go to Baghdad).

Do they have anything the Russians want

Bases in the region to support iran and assad and to make sure they have the power in the region,

Assad hasn't the military forces to take on the Kurds ,Iran as well , putin pushes and encourages erdokan to move against the Kurds knowing trump won't stop them, Turks invade and remove the Kurds while Moscow suggestions will be russsian peacekeepers with support from Assad the Kurds get labelled as terrorists and wiped out and trump walks away a coward and setting America back years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Kurds need to kick out the Americans ASAP and try to come to an agreement with Assad before they get totally wiped out. Try to at least get some special status for the rest of their areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The Kurds need to kick out the Americans ASAP and try to come to an agreement with Assad before they get totally wiped out. Try to at least get some special status for the rest of their areas
    From my understanding this is not an option they have. The only way they'll be negotiating for more than their lives will be if they bloody Assad's nose first.

Advertisement