Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Alarm

Options
  • 10-10-2019 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭

The ring alarm is launching in the UK on the 7th November, any thoughts ? Will we get it over here ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It says it doesn't ship to Ireland. But you can probably use the usual ParcelMotel/Wizard to get it here and it shouldn't have any issues working here in terms of frequencies, etc., we use the same as the UK. I wouldn't be sure about subscriptions, etc. working here and in particular the 3G backup. They will likely need to do a deal with a phone company here to support this.

To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't made any changes from the US version. In particular no external bell box, which is the norm in the UK and Ireland and definitely a con for this system IMO.

Overall, I think this Ring system looks like poor value compared to the similar Yale Sync Smart Alarm. The Yale system for the same price includes an extra PIR and importantly an external working bell box.

The pro of the Ring over the Yale is that the Ring supports a 3g backup channel, but an expensive sub required and most liekly doesn't work here for now. Oh and I do prefer the look of the Rings keypad.

The Ring subscription is £8 per month, quiet steep IMO, probably only makes sense if you are all in on Ring and have lots of Ring cameras, etc.

I think this system has potential if they continue to develop it, but I won't be replacing my Yale system with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Expensive monthly charge, also I'd be right in thinking Insurance companies won't accept this alarm as a certified alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The monthly charge seems optional. And the discount for an alarm is minimal so no incentives to have one approved by the insurance company

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cabaal wrote: »
    Expensive monthly charge, also I'd be right in thinking Insurance companies won't accept this alarm as a certified alarm?

Yes, this wouldn't currently * be accepted as a certified alarm.

However I've always recommended not taking the alarm discount, even if you have a certified alarm. What if you forget to turn it on or it breaks down, you are just giving the insurance company an excuse not to pay out IMO, for a very small discount **

* I expect in time, this may change, it will be hard for insurance companies to continue to ignore systems coming from big companies like Amazon and Google. Much like they have changed the rules around locks.

** I originally had the alarm discount years ago, when I called the insurance company to take it off, they said they'd have to charge 10% extra, I said fine, I'll go shop around with other insurance companies so. They quickly changed their tune, they agreed not to increase the price if I stayed with them, while taking the alarm off.
    ted1 wrote: »
    The monthly charge seems optional. And the discount for an alarm is minimal so no incentives to have one approved by the insurance company

The monthly charge is optional. Though note, the backup 3g channel won't work then * Which is the only real advantage I see this system currently having over the Yale.

* Note that the 3g might not work here in Ireland even if you do pay.

BTW I just wanted to say, it might seem that I'm being critical of this system. I'm actually delighted to see it finally arrive here and I hope that the Nest system comes soon too.

The smart alarm market has been quite stagnant here and there is really no ideal system IMO. I'm hoping these new systems will be a kick up the arse of Yale and Honeywell and will lead to more competition and better systems to come.

I don't think this Ring system is perfect, but then neither is my Yale system nor the Honeywell one. I do see this Ring system doing a lot right and it has an awful lot of potential with all the onboard wireless standards it supports. I can certainly see it developing into a very good system if they can get a wireless SAAB for it.

I think Yale will need to bring out new a new hub to compete with this Ring system (larger battery backup, more wireless standards support and 3g/4g backup channel) and Honeywell already have almost the perfect hardware, but badly need to vastly improve their app and software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

My wife is presently in the US. The Ring alarm is quite a bit cheaper there. Is there any reason i should buy the UK over the US one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

My wife is presently in the US. The Ring alarm is quite a bit cheaper there. Is there any reason i should buy the UK over the US one?

I haven't checked this, but the US version may be 908 mhz rather than 868 which the UK one will most likely use.

It would still work but you would have to get the accessory's to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

bk wrote: »

The Ring subscription is £8 per month, quiet steep IMO, probably only makes sense if you are all in on Ring and have lots of Ring cameras, etc.

I think this system has potential if they continue to develop it, but I won't be replacing my Yale system with it.

Monitored alarms are circa €20-50 a month anyway so £8 is rather cheap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

.....and self monitored alarms range in price of €0 to €5 for monitoring per month (dual path).

As the Ring alarm does not provide perimeter protection or a bellbox (which I would consider an essential visual deterrent) I would not recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I self monitor my alarm. It's about €6 a month.
    Monitoring by a company isn't really any use as they'll just call me if it goes off anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Effects wrote: »
    Monitoring by a company isn't really any use as they'll just call me if it goes off anyway.

This is an important point that many people don’t get. Look at the cost of monitoring for a PhoneWatch alarm, it’s truly shocking and typically these systems have no perimeter protection.

Advertisement