Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it an AP I need?

Options
  • 10-10-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

New to some of this!!!

Currently have Eir F2000 modem/router under my stairs where it connects to my switch, heating hub, cctv etc... Ideally want to leave it there as (not ideal I know). All my Cat6 cables run back to this location.

2.4GHz wifi is decent in the house but my 5GHz loses range pretty quickly (especially upstairs and at rear).

Would the best (and most cost effective) option be an Access Point installed in the centre of the house (say the kitchen) where I have a network point. Looked into range extenders but seems they aren't the best option? Any advice on options/recommendations.

Ideally want just devices to connect seamlessly (i.e. no having to manually search when I lose a signal from one location to the other). Currently using the 2.4 and 5GhZ plus the guest SSID on the F2000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The nature of 5GHz is that it's range falls short of 2.4GHz. What kind of devices are you looking to connect to the 5GHz spectrum? 2.4 will do nicely for the vast majority of devices although is more prone to network congestion due to significantly fewer channels.

Yes, your best bet is to connect an AP (or multiple) in locations where you need signal. They just have to be patched back to your switch. Is the switch POE? Avoid range extenders, especially if you already have network cabling in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Another option is a mesh wifi solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

get yourself a unifi AP (or several) which is something you will never regret!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Darando

Cheers, I'll keep an eye during the Amazon sales for either a Unifi or TP-Link Dual Band AP.

Advertisement