Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars Bar Christchurch closed

Options
  • 10-10-2019 1:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭

Does anyone know how long Oscars Christchurch Bar has been closed for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

About 2 years I reckon but that's a rough guess

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was earlier this year; still Facebook posts about it in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »
    Was earlier this year; still Facebook posts about it in January.

Was open a few months after that, was in there for a pint one evening after work with herself. And in saying that, it was 6pm on a Friday and the place had about 6 people in it so no surprise they closed the doors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

The best thing about Oscars was that you could control the Jukebox from your phone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I pass by there fairly regularly, it's been closed 'for renovations' for the last 2-3 months I'd say. Not a thing has been done to it from whjat I can see passing by. I wonder if there is a new tenant in mind?

Slightly related note, the Indian takeaway Siri around the corner (corner of Lord Edward Street and Fishamble St) closed a good while back also for renovations but is about to re-open as a chipper called Marios. Someone trying to complete with the Burdocks crowd, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That burdocks is overpriced crap tbh, would nearly walk past it to somewhere up on thomas st instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

miamee wrote: »
    Indian takeaway Siri around the corner (corner of Lord Edward Street and Fishamble St) closed a good while back also for renovations but is about to re-open as a chipper called Marios. Someone trying to complete with the Burdocks crowd, I suppose.

The chipper is already open. I spotted it a couple of weeks ago.
    Looks like a kip.

retalivity wrote: »
    That burdocks is overpriced crap tbh, would nearly walk past it to somewhere up on thomas st instead.

Burdocks was never same after the family sold the Business back in 90s.

Now they are just living off the name.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Effects wrote: »
    The chipper is already open. I spotted it a couple of weeks ago.
    Looks like a kip.

Shows how much I pay attention, I've walked passed it at least twice this week and never noticed :D It's not something I'd be buying from anyway, just thought it was a shame that the award-winning Indian place was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

the award-winning Indian place was gone.

What awards did it win?

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    What awards did it win?

It had one if not two of those plaques on the wall, Bord Bia I think, but maybe they are recommendations rather than awards. They aren't there now for me to check anyway.

Edit: they might not even be Bord Bia, I just know they were a grey colour and I've seen them on several other restaurants. I need to pay more attention!

It had one if not two of those plaques on the wall, Bord Bia I think, but maybe they are recommendations rather than awards. They aren't there now for me to check anyway.

Edit: they might not even be Bord Bia, I just know they were a grey colour and I've seen them on several other restaurants. I need to pay more attention!

A lot of those plaques you can just buy.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/restaurant-awards-are-on-the-menu-255515.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Shows how much I pay attention, I've walked passed it at least twice this week and never noticed :D It's not something I'd be buying from anyway, just thought it was a shame that the award-winning Indian place was gone.

I'd never been in to the Indian, but had heard from an Indian acquaintance that it was pretty good. I cycle past it a lot but only noticed when passing in the car one evening. Looks like a cheap fit out and signage.

Ah right. Having had a walkabout at lunch time and looked at other places, I'm pretty sure they were the McKenna plaques - recommendations, not awards. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I pass by there fairly regularly, it's been closed 'for renovations' for the last 2-3 months I'd say. Not a thing has been done to it from whjat I can see passing by. I wonder if there is a new tenant in mind?

Slightly related note, the Indian takeaway Siri around the corner (corner of Lord Edward Street and Fishamble St) closed a good while back also for renovations but is about to re-open as a chipper called Marios. Someone trying to complete with the Burdocks crowd, I suppose.

Walk past that Mario's every day from work (usually around 4.15) and not been a sinner in it... Literally is a new take-away in that every few months, they never last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I used to get food from Siri occasionally, and it was really, really good.
    Better than what you'd get from some bigger name places.
    The food was always cooked fresh in front of you too, which was a big plus, and the guys who ran it were super friendly.

I was very sad to see it go. It also looked nice from the outside, which is a lot more than you can say for that Mario's place.

As for Oscar's, it's a shame to see it closed. Was always busy at weekend nights whenever I was in, or passed by. It's the hotel bar so, presumably something will go back in.

Oscars over in Smithfield does a roaring trade. Shame it didn't carry over the river.

Anyone know of any other pubs in Dublin that let you control the Jukebox from your phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Marios is lovely food and a nice guy running it. Same lad that has the chipper beside fibbers.

Oscars never really worked as a bar, but it was a fantastic place to book for birthdays and work do's, the staff would bend over backwards to accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Anyone know of any other pubs in Dublin that let you control the Jukebox from your phone ?

The Barbers in Grange Gorman under the same ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Geoffrey F

Food in Siri was amazing. Sad to see it go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement