Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging port issue on iPhone X

• 10-10-2019 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve been having an issue with the charging port on my iPhone X where is gone very finicky. I often wake up and my phone hasn’t charged because it stopped over night. Similarly I am having trouble getting wireless earphones to work. The cable seems a bit loose in it.

I had a similar problem with my 8 plus but that was worse in that the battery was shot and the phone would only charge when turned off. I was told issues with the charging port were common in the iPhone 8 Plus but would have thought they would be resolved by now so it’s very frustrating to have a similar problem two iPhones in-a-row.

I no longer have gadget insurance but I’m in a 2 year contract so should be covered. Anyone have this problem and are there any quick fixes aside from I’m guessing getting the charging port replaced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Have you cleaned out the port with a cocktail stick? Usually the port gets clogged with loads of lint and dirt. The cable being wobbly would suggest that might be the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Redo91

brophs wrote: »
    Have you cleaned out the port with a cocktail stick? Usually the port gets clogged with loads of lint and dirt. The cable being wobbly would suggest that might be the issue.

You know what I was just thinking of trying that. It’s quiet hard to see down to the bottom of the port but it does look like there is some dirt down there. Doesn’t make sense that the insert can move around. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks for the reply!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The phone is waterproof too so don’t be afraid to get a bit of cleaner/water in there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

iPhone ports are the bellybuttons of the tech world.

Clean that baby out.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Yeah cocktail stick is the job, mine stopped charging entirely recently, good as new now

• Advertisement

That seems to have done the trick so thanks a million for the tips. Tried it first when I went home and managed to get a decent bit of dirt out but when I went to charge it there was nothing doing. To make things worse my phone became unresponsive in that any app I went in to just left me with a blank screen. Couldn’t even turn the phone off. Never happened to me before.

I was out of the house for a few hours and by the time I got back the phone was dead. Tried the toothpick again and didn’t seem to get anything out of it but when I tried charging it worked all of a sudden. Seems to be perfect now in that when I charge it there is no having to move it about to get a certain angle and it just starts charging straight away.

I’m delighted because I’m heading away next Saturday and I would have been gutted to have to get the phone fixed and not have it with me on the trip.

Thanks again for the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Not a solution but another option is a wireless charger.

Tazium wrote: »
    Not a solution but another option is a wireless charger.

Is that compatible with the iPhone X?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is that compatible with the iPhone X?
    Yes the iPhone x has wireless charging

Advertisement