Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are two things at work here, logging into the building and being present in the Chamber. The former is what pays the expenses.

Fully understand, my suggestion considering their contempt for voting in the chamber is it a stretch that they wouldn't 'clock' each other into the building?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fully understand, my suggestion considering their contempt for voting in the chamber is it a stretch that they wouldn't 'clock' each other into the building?

I think everyone is thinking that now. Are they using other people's fob keys etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Leeches the whole lot. Only in to get what they can. And the only people who gain from them most of the time is family and friends who get cushy well paid jobs because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think the likely sanctions and inevitable outcry ward that off. There's also bound to be CCTV around. Whatever might be said about them the majority have become very good at legally exploiting the expenses regime.

I think the likely sanctions and inevitable outcry ward that off. There's also bound to be CCTV around. Whatever might be said about them the majority have become very good at legally exploiting the expenses regime.

I don't share your optimism as our TD's of all leanings have shown they are capable of milking the system and only worry about getting caught....when they get caught.

• Advertisement

I don't share your optimism as our TD's of all leanings have shown they are capable of milking the system and only worry about getting caught....when they get caught.
    Well they can and do but that one carries a massive risk and it's really so easy to do. Swipe in and leave!

Well they can and do but that one carries a massive risk and it's really so easy to do. Swipe in and leave!

Genuine question, what massive risk? I don't believe for one second that say the likes of the Healy Ray's drive two cars to Dublin both clock in and feck off back to Kerry again.
    Our political class has shown despite the generous system in place for them enough is never enough.
    I was out for a meal one night with friends, one of my friend's husbands is a TD. We all paid our own when the bill was presented but the TD's wife took the bill and handed it to her husband and said one word ' expenses'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Genuine question, what massive risk? I don't believe for one second that say the likes of the Healy Ray's drive two cars to Dublin both clock in and feck off back to Kerry again.
    Our political class has shown despite the generous system in place for them enough is never enough.
    I was out for a meal one night with friends, one of my friend's husbands is a TD. We all paid our own when the bill was presented but the TD's wife took the bill and handed it to her husband and said one word ' expenses'.

Wasn't there a case a few years ago of a TD who made a father generous donation to his local GAA club , which probably made him seem like a great lad altogether in the local community.

Then was found to have claimed it back as expenses in a random audit.

Leeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Into the building I'd say so as they would go after that. The voting is just slapdash carry on and unacceptable. As I've said huge systems failure.

If he signed in, it would believe that, but an electronic fob? Could be anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This is good news for the party. Good to move on from this non-issue/distraction.

This my friend is why FG will never be as consistently big as FF. Youse can't even pretend to care about what the great unwashed think.

• Advertisement

Shhh, I want to hear more about Margret Cash....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Indo reporting today that tonights vote at the FG constituency meeting will be a secret ballot rather than the usual show of hands. I'd say that means she is toast, people will be able to stab her in the back and pretend they didnt. Face saving all around for everyone, except for Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Indo reporting today that tonights vote at the FG constituency meeting will be a secret ballot rather than the usual show of hands. I'd say that means she is toast, people will be able to stab her in the back and pretend they didnt. Face saving all around for everyone, except for Maria.

Where will the meeting be does anyone know? At a loose end tonight myself, is it in a pub again in South Co Dublin?

Where will the meeting be does anyone know? At a loose end tonight myself, is it in a pub again in South Co Dublin?

Likely near DLRCC.

My local FG crowd meet in my local. Like a rogues gallery of every neighbour keeps the ball :)
    Bruton popped in one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Kenny B wrote: »
    Do the Healy R boys log in, do a 180 and hit for the motorway or do they hang around for the day.

Get their toll tags and see how soon after they get tagged at Portlaoise Toll.

Seen them getting off the Bus Eireann a while back at Merrion Square with the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Seen them getting off the Bus Eireann a while back at Merrion Square with the bags.

What would be wrong with it. Might get to know some of the real concerns and problems of the people of this country if they did take a bus. I would have no problem with them claiming the bus fares back.

They should all be paid minimum wage for a month and made live on it in a foreva home in a block of flats or 'emergency' accomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Really shows a new light on Sinn Fein and only taking the industrial wage!!

lola85 wrote: »
    Really shows a new light on Sinn Fein and only taking the industrial wage!!

Give over ffs. That's your take away? Joke.
    FYI: Zero SF involved in the OP, not that it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Your so sensitive Matt....

• Advertisement

Your so sensitive Matt....

I am on Sinn Fein in this instance.

...wait for it.....

Because it would be nice to discuss an issue without some biased apologist chiming in about the opposite team to try score points.
    If you are honest you'll note most of us have been speaking generally about politicians not trying to make one set out to be holier than thou over another.
    Up the 'RA.. oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Sorry I was talking about the RTE list released today showing TDs who get expenses even though absent.

Jesus sorry if I hit a nerve.

lola85 wrote: »
    Sorry I was talking about the RTE list released today showing TDs who get expenses even though absent.

Jesus sorry if I hit a nerve.

You did. You were in danger of turning talk from politicians as a whole to SF. No worries.
    Thanks though. I thought I'd explained my reasoning above.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá ...ah ffs..

120 people inside the meeting to decide her fate. Expected to end around 9pm

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1189982688805036032

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Bailey will still be making headlines in November.
    Well done Fine Gael.
    Why is the other fraud Farrell not getting the same treatment in his constituency?

So she lost the vote in the secret ballot despite reports of lots of her supporters being in the room. Issue now goes to the FG national executive who will decide whether or not to take her off the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

If she cant win with the local team surely shes toast now.

Well, there has been an audit, the one that started this thread and news hounds are always digging around. There should also be CCTV and logging data. That expenses thing is not just TDs. An acquaintance used to do it all the time with lunches and feed them into his accounts every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Is it time to reopen the Maria Bailey swing thread that was shut down for no reason?

Advertisement