Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Is it time to reopen the Maria Bailey swing thread that was shut down for no reason?

There is another Bailey thread just opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

It is pretty disgusting.

Our political system is dysfunctional.

Enda preaching 'new politics' for years and subsequently turns up the Dail just to register travel expenses.

I find kenny’s Behavior utterly repulsive here. Travel expenses for someone who lived 10 minutes WALK from their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I think everyone is thinking that now. Are they using other people's fob keys etc...

F*****g disgusting when we are looking for a foolproof system to get the very people who run our country to their place of work - I use the word ‘work’ with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i see michael healy rae has been clocking in to Leinster House while attending a funeral in Kerry

has he mastered the power of bi-location or is blatant fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There should be a fingerprint login. I use my fingerprint to sign into my iPhone. It couldn’t be too expensive to implement this in Leinster House. No fingerprint, no excuses, no payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

i see michael healy rae has been clocking in to Leinster House while attending a funeral in Kerry

Always suspected they were up to this sort of activity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's allowed. He can show up any time until the Dail closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is this a key fob or what they use for clocking in.

What's to stop you giving your brother your tag to tag you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The HRs could do anything, no matter how wrong, but they'd still get voted in.

NIMAN wrote: »
    There are suggestions that we may lose one of them next time.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is this a key fob or what they use for clocking in.

What's to stop you giving your brother your tag to tag you in.
    CCTV? And people recognising you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

NIMAN wrote: »

Just goes to show the type of hillbillies that live down there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is_that_so wrote: »

That didn't help much in the voting scandal.

irishgeo wrote: »
    That didn't help much in the voting scandal.
    No, but you don't get paid for voting! One would have to assume a better system for monitoring comings and goings into the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There should be a fingerprint login. I use my fingerprint to sign into my iPhone. It couldn’t be too expensive to implement this in Leinster House. No fingerprint, no excuses, no payment.

There should also be a minimum/maximum time spent in LH. They should have to sign out also. Most employers demand this.

There should also be a minimum/maximum time spent in LH. They should have to sign out also. Most employers demand this.
    Without defending any of them, the nature of the job means they might be coming and going a lot more. There should definitely be a review of the current (excessive IMO) window along with some method of insisting on a minimum number of hours present in LH, if they are looking to claim the TAA.

Without defending any of them, the nature of the job means they might be coming and going a lot more. There should definitely be a review of the current (excessive IMO) window along with some method of insisting on a minimum number of hours present in LH, if they are looking to claim the TAA.

Do you get a tea break this morning? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They should all be paid minimum wage for a month and made live on it in a foreva home in a block of flats or 'emergency' accomodation.

If we want to increase the quality of our public representatives, that is one sure way of achieving it.
    Give over ffs. That's your take away? Joke.
    FYI: Zero SF involved in the OP, not that it matters.

Defending SF even when they are not accused of anything! Loyalty has no boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I detest politics.
    It seems to draw the greediest people into it.
    Wouldn’t trust one of them.

I detest politics.
    It seems to draw the greediest people into it.
    Wouldn’t trust one of them.

It doesn't seem to be improving which is more worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do you honestly think there is someone monitoring the CCTV to see who is signing in?? I've some magic beans for sale. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It doesn't seem to be improving which is more worrying.

One positive thing is we are finding out more and more about what the f they are doing with our money (doubtful this will change anything though)

vicwatson wrote: »
    One positive thing is we are finding out more and more about what the f they are doing with our money (doubtful this will change anything though)

Imagine driving miles and miles to get to your job in the Dail and then not voting? Bad memory or what?

I wonder how many of them drove miles and miles to the Dail and voted but forgot to claim the expenses? Not a single one I’d venture a guess.

Such upright people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Imagine driving miles and miles to get to your job in the Dail and then not voting? Bad memory or what?

I wonder how many of them drove miles and miles to the Dail and voted but forgot to claim the expenses? Not a single one I’d venture a guess.

Such upright people.

Worse, imagine driving miles and miles to your job, and then forgetting you were supposed to be in a completely different country, or maybe it played out that they flew miles and miles to a different country, and then had to fly back miles and miles to sign in to their work.

Worse, imagine driving miles and miles to your job, and then forgetting you were supposed to be in a completely different country, or maybe it played out that they flew miles and miles to a different country, and then had to fly back miles and miles to sign in to their work.

They’ll have to build an Alzheimer’s clinic beside the Dail I’d say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    If we want to increase the quality of our public representatives, that is one sure way of achieving it.

Defending SF even when they are not accused of anything! Loyalty has no boundaries.

Ah Blanch, you started off great but then...

Once again you have decided to read my comment and then make up your own. You'll never learn anything like that. Not even trying to discuss the topic. You'll be on politics with your monocle in giving out about the standard of debate shortly.

Do you honestly think there is someone monitoring the CCTV to see who is signing in?? I've some magic beans for sale. PM me.
    I'd hate to see you on a jury!:D It can be checked and unless you can prove that someone has committed fraud it's best you use those beans yourself!

Such upright people.
    They are not required to vote unless their party tells them to. Some of them are on committees or in their offices doing other stuff. The Dail arithmetic means the government loses a lot of votes and FF abstain. It has also meant lots of private members bills.

You can see from this list that the numbers are well off a full house.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/votes/?debateType=dail

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

When there wasn't sufficient Tds in the Dáil sometime back so that a vote could proceed, a well known kerry politician was driving a lorry that day down in Kerry. I'd love to know did he clock into the Dáil that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wasnt it Michael who had his son or nephew in his office ringing a premium rate telephone thousands of times to vote for Michael to win some reality tv show? Blatant misuse of taxpayers money right there so it wouldnt surprise me if he has given the fob to someone else who works for him and they just sign him in every day.

Isnt is amazing how this whole expenses thing was supposedly reformed with the introduction of signing in by electronic fob but the politicians who reformed it left just enough room for the system to still be gamed. What is needed now is fingerprint recognition and for them to sign in twice a day- on arrival and on departure, this would stop the likes of Enda Kenny gaming the system by signing in and then heading off to Switzerland to make money giving speeches in a private capacity while at the same time claiming expenses from the taxpayer. Politicians have proved themselves to be untrustworthy so what is needed is a system design that begins by assuming all of them are on the take and work backwards from there.

Advertisement