Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer carcass handling course

Options
  • 10-10-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,
    After many years of wanting to I finally made the dive and got into deer hunting this season.
    I've tagged along with my uncle for many years but never got into it myself due to work and incorrect vehicles for transporting deer and hadn't the money to invest in proper gear either.
    Anyhow, I'll cut to the point, I have filled my freezer and my neighbours also and 2 other family members with venison. It's only October and I want to stay hunting.
    From what I understand Game dealers/abboitoirs take them in but you need a course on game carcass handling done to offload dear to these handlers, can anyone on here help me as to where I can do this course and when I can do it? I've searched the internet but there all courses from years ago popping up.

Thanks lads and sorry for the long spiel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Keith2828

As far as i know country sports Ireland have been holding courses but i think their finished till February but dont mark my words on that

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Plenty of people will take it for free.

There are more deer sellers that deer stalkers around now.
    Everyone to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Anto....

feartuath wrote: »
    Plenty of people will take it for free.

There are more deer sellers that deer stalkers around now.
    Everyone to their own I suppose.

I agree with you on this, I can assure you I'm not a deer seller, I just do not want deer going to waste and heard about the abboitoirs so why not use them if I have no one to take the deer, it could potentially cover cost of ammo for your season also, I'm not sure tho what sort of money they will give for deer so don't hold me to That.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Country sports ireland hold them in the MNSCI and the only other one i know of is the NARGC one, but i haven't heard of them running one for some time.

Contact the CSI via their FB page but it says on it that they held their last one for 2019 on October 6th, just gone.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Anto....

Cass wrote: »
    Country sports ireland hold them in the MNSCI and the only other one i know of is the NARGC one, but i haven't heard of them running one for some time.

Contact the CSI via their FB page but it says on it that they held their last one for 2019 on October 6th, just gone.

Seen that Cass, I just missed out. 🙈 If I don't get it done this season I'll just stalk deer instead for the love of it without shooting them and I'll have myself setup for definite next season ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its why i don't go shooting until November or so. There is a "rush" to get the prize head from the start of the season for the first couple of months.. I've zero interest in that. I prefer to shoot for the pot. Once i get enough i stop. Last few years that meant no shooting from December on. I still went out with the rifle, but never took a shot.

Sounds poncy, a "PR" reply, and up my own a**e, but its what i do so no point in saying otherwise.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement