Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundaries

Options
  • 10-10-2019 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

Hi, so here is my story: I have planning permission to build on family lands - I have been gifted a site. The land was signed over to me in May/June. I signed end of June/early July. Today I received a letter from my own solicitor to say that although I have right of way to my site there is a portion of land that is unregistered and encroaches on my site. It also says that this will cause problems drawing down a mortgage. It also says I can change boundaries or apply to the registration authority which is expensive and would take 12 months to complete. I'm so disappointed and don't know what to do - this unregistered land is in the middle of the family farm and has been in the family for generations. The farm was signed over to my father almost twenty five years go - should this have been dealt with at the time. Any advise? Do I have to apply for planning to change the boundaries? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

More of a legal question I'd think? I'm sure it's not entirely unusual to have unregistered portions of land within or attached to registered plots. And considered to be such by 'owners' and neighbours for many years. The obvious short term solution is to change your site boundaries if possible so they fall on land registered to your family. Though this would mean a new planning application. Probably unwise to commence building on it until you sort it, in case the registration application goes pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

BarryD2 wrote: »
    More of a legal question I'd think? I'm sure it's not entirely unusual to have unregistered portions of land within or attached to registered plots. And considered to be such by 'owners' and neighbours for many years. The obvious short term solution is to change your site boundaries if possible so they fall on land registered to your family. Though this would mean a new planning application. Probably unwise to commence building on it until you sort it, in case the registration application goes pear shaped.

Thanks. I have to ring solicitor in the morning. It's going to be 12 weeks and more architect fees.

Advertisement