Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Owen's is on 9 I think

7-3 to packer I think

So I'll vote packie too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesses Owens without the '. Why do people write Owen's? Boils my piss. Anyway Jesse over Bolt.

I'd give the second one to Taylor. Better contest and more at stake. O Leary deserves plaudits as much as Bonner too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jesses Owens without the '. Why do people write Owen's? Boils my piss. Anyway Jesse over Bolt.

I'd give the second one to Taylor. Better contest and more at stake. O Leary deserves plaudits as much as Bonner too.

Auto correct.

You don't have that on your device because you're ancient and nearly dead! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Eugh missed this.

If the bolt match is still open then I go for that personally. I get chills watching it back now.

Have to go with Taylor as well for the second one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Jesse Owens and Packie progress to the final. We’ll leave the voting open until 6pm and count them up then

Jesse Owens and his four gold medals at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin

V

The greatest Irish sporting moment of all time after Mayo's back-to-back All-Ireland success
    Packie Bonner v Romania at Italia '90

Packie for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

packie plz

I'm going to have to go with Jesse Owens.

If that happened in modern days with the television coverage, commentary and analysis we now have, not to mention social media, I think it would have been one of the most talked about events of the year, world wide. Even people with no interest in sporting events would likely have an opinion on it.

Packie/David O'Leary was the greatest singular moment in Irish sporting history because of the interest, passion involved and euphoria when we went through but Jesse's story was bigger.
    He made the 6 person shortlist for BBC sports personality of the century in 1999 and yet when he won in 36 was not invited to the the White House to meet the President. It was a huge deal what he won, where he won and how he was treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

First time voting against the football but Jessie. God damn that documentary I saw a few months back

Jessie Owens for me. Historic moment with a man dominating over numerous disciplines regardless of everything else that went with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Owens owns this, that's just it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I know neither event by feel the need to vote in a final.

I'll vote for packie cause Irish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

This is the last one? It's a toughie.

Jesse is iconic and a huge F-You to Hitler, so that.

Somebody mentioned how Packie's event was two mediocre teams who only scored 0-0 against each other and this is absolutely true. In a world-wide sense, this event isn't even a blimp in the consciousness. However, to anyone old enough to remember Italia '90, this was a moment of pure excitement and is a great moment for the nostalgia and the feelings it evokes, which Jesse, before (I guess) all of us were born, just doesn't have the same impact. Italia '90 was the first and pretty much only soccer moment I ever watched. Us little no-talent country had a chance to get to the last eight in the WHOLE world. That was amazing stuff.

I'm no voting just yet. I need to mull on it. Head or heart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Jesse Owens from those two.

Jesse Owens

Jesse currently 7–2 ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesse Owens.

Simply because The Greatest Sporting Moment of All Time was not a mediocre football team beating another mediocre football team on penalties in a last 16 match after a 0-0 draw.

If we were voting on best ever Irish moment in sports it would be a worthy winner for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Packie!

They weren't out celebrating on the Walkinstown Roundabout after Jesse Owens, were they? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Packie. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s a footnote but I’m going heart over head on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭darklighter

Jesse Owens.....if that happened today it would break the internet!

So Jesse takes it home 9-4, shocked at that I was sure at the start it was a forgone conclusion.

Thanks a million for all the votes. I’ll do some vote analysis and try and do a tournament graphic before Christmas Day

Good stuff. Fair play Green n Red. Have a good Christmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Couldn’t decide in the end so didn’t vote. I figured I’d let fate decide it (aka all the other voters). Good game GnR!! Well done.

Good work Green&Red, cheers for running!

I think that's a reasonably worthy winner, I feel it makes us look good :p

Really enjoyed that. Your post of the 64 competitors with Youtube links isn't a bad place to go to to pass a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah great work G&R

can't believe the 2005 CL final didn't win , yea lot KnoW nothing about sport :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Olestoepoke late may 1999

• Advertisement

Well done GnR. Delighted it went ahead in the end

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Good tourney GnR thanks for running!

Any tournament that Mayo get knocked out in first round is always a good one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well done Green&Red, some great sporting memories to look back over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Good game, well laid out. Can only hope that my thread catches on over the next couple of days.

Strange that both the 2005 and 1999 CL final both went out in the first round, would have banked on both going far

• Advertisement

Good work Green&Red, cheers for running!

I think that's a reasonably worthy winner, I feel it makes us look good :p

I laughed at this, I wondered a few times did people vote for what they thought they should vote for but it was a long comp and the cream rises.
    IMO it’s the hitler thing more so than the medals themselves. Someone mentioned a documentary, I would love to see that, maybe post some details?

Green&Red wrote: »
    Strange that both the 2005 and 1999 CL final both went out in the first round, would have banked on both going far

Luck of the draw. Think it was Maradona and Owens that beat them IIRC? Would have beaten a lot of others and some other moments only progressed further due to lucky draws.

Collie D wrote: »
    Luck of the draw. Think it was Maradona and Owens that beat them IIRC? Would have beaten a lot of others and some other moments only progressed further due to lucky draws.

I'm sure tribalism had a part too!

Tournament graphic, I know it looks like it was done by a four yo but meh

498961.PNG

Advertisement