Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies decide: Best sporting moments (nominations closed, knockout ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

LFC fan, has to be the Barcelona game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Taylor v Roche is quite the matchup to be fair.

I am a big fan of cycling, and yes, I know that rumours abound in relation to Roche but still, he is one of only 2 riders to do the cycling triple crown in a single year.

That being said, Black Ball victory, of a World Championship, against Steve Davis....

Given the title of the thread refers to 'the best sporting moment', I'll have to go with Taylor. Because that was literally a moment where it all happened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Out of these two I'm gonna have to vote for the Liverpool game.

Was a sensational night.

Wow, from two genuine sporting moments, to two, interesting more so than genuine contenders I'll go for Isner/Mahut as I suspect Liverpool might have an alternative runner in terms of great comebacks of theirs competing in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Liverpool vs Barcelona as I don't care for tennis all that much and I think Barcelona being humbled like that is and was memorable. Is it the greatest sporting moment of all time? No, but it wins here for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

As a liverpool fan, I have to go with the Barca match, the greater of the two for me anyway, a fabulous night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    As a liverpool fan, I have to go with the Barca match, the greater of the two for me anyway, a fabulous night.

What he said :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Liverpool vs Barcelona, because tennis, meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Green&Red wrote: »
    So two northern Irish legends go through to Round 2

Bit of a sore point for the people of Clones, but McGuigan is very much associated with Northern Ireland I suppose

I'll go for the tennis, epic match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

To be honest I don't think either should be there but I'll go for Liverpool begrudgingly. A great comeback to reach the final compared to a match that is only renowned because it was so bloody boring - 200 aces in a match says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Another route for Liverpool

Next up

The shock of the 2015 RWC as Japan beat South Africa

V

Donegals breakthrough in 1992

Has to be Donegal for me, iconic team, fantastic scenes. Even in 2012 I was glad it was them, although I preferred the result in 2015

Rugby for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Japan, that was wild and magnified by this year's carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Donegal for me, home county, winning the all Ireland brought the whole county together.

Japan putting South Africa to the sword like that was outrageous. A real underdog story on the grand stage. Cinderella stuff. Gets my vote.

Has to be Donegal's breakthrough (and I'm not in any way biased, honestly). I'm old enough to remember when Ulster teams were routinely beaten in Croke Park, going 30 odd years without beating either a team from Munster or Leinster

Down the year before opened the door, but this was absolutely massive. Sat in the Cusack Stand watching it, have never since seen such an outpouring of emotion at the final whistle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Japan here for me too and I'm a big ould GAA head. It was absolutely incredible viewing

• Advertisement

Japan - very little interest in rugby but even I got excited watching that, a real underdog win. Also I'm a Dub.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Japan it was so unexpected and exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Donegal

6-4 to Japan currently

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Japan. And because I missed the nominations, someone better have put Derek Redmond 92 Olympics in, as that's the correct answer

Donegal

There was something about those Northern teams winning All Irelands in the early 90's. They seemed to revel in it more than those from the south.

• Advertisement

Japan make it through

Munster's miracle match against Gloucester, did they really find the tactics book in the back of a cab?

V

The big breakthrough in 2009, O'Gara's drop goal in Cardiff to win the glam slam after 60 years

No real contest here even for Munster fans
    O’Gara & co

Since I have to choose between one eggball event and another, I suppose it has to be O'Gara

Munster's win here.

The height of the challenge was greater in their game than in the Welsh match.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dropgoal in Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Glad I missed the last round. I'm a Donegal fan and I was at the Japan match!

Clearly the grand slam for this one. I still remember their kick hanging for ever and then falling short

The Wales game for me...

The Welsh game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wales for me! Still smile thinking of ROG face and swinging arms after it went over.

Grand Slam. Then Bernard Dunne went on to win the World Title that night in the boxing. Savage day.

So Irish ROG demolishes Munster ROG to advance

Next up

Cameroon and their flag dancing striker Roger Milla, loved these guys. The "tackling" of Canaggia was pure sh!thousery of the highest order

V

Another grand slam, this time it seemed at lot easier, once we got over France that is

I’m going to go for Cameroon here, I find it very hard to identify with this Irish team.

Italia 90 was the first World Cup I watched and Cameroon were amazing, could easily have beaten England that year too

I'm sure I'm on a loser here but I loved Milla and that Cameroon team in what was the first World Cup I fully got into.

• Advertisement

England, not often we beat them at home let alone get the slam.

Has to be Cameroon. I love it when a new team lights up the world cup, but this team, along with Ireland are the abiding memories of Italia 90. Aside from the filthy tackles, they played some decent football, with Roger Milla as their superstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Rugby slam

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Seeing Brazil lose home to Germany was great.

Das Reich wrote: »

Already eliminated. It’s a head to head comp

Currently Ireland’s Grand Slam 2018 edition V Roger Milla and Cameron Italia 90

Roger Milla's antics probably influenced a whole generation of kids in his country and continent. The flag dance was iconic in and of itself. Cameroon for me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cameroon, rugby bores me to tears, whereas Roger Milla and co were a joy to watch.

Das Reich wrote: »

David Luiz crying at the end was the icing on the cake

Cameroon, by a disinterested whisker.

• Advertisement

Cameroon on the brink 6-2

Advertisement