Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge gives politician easy sentence

Options
  • 11-10-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sf-councillor-who-knocked-out-victims-teeth-escapes-jail-sentence-38583536.html

"A Sinn Féin councillor who attacked his ex-wife's partner in a drunken rage, resulting in the loss of three of his teeth, avoided jail and was ordered to pay his victim €7,500."

This is unbelievable. Just because someone is a councillor, they shouldn't be treated leniently by the courts. A fine of €7,500 for knocking someone's teeth out is a complete disgrace. A complete thug who gets away without a jail sentence.

"In his victim impact statement which was read to the court, Mr Greene said he had suffered a loss of earnings, dental costs of €3,740, and the loss of three teeth which left it impossible for him to maintain a simple conversation."

How do people like this get elected? Why do judges go so easy on them?

We have national outrage over a few hundred in over-claimed expenses, yet a councillor can leave someone needing dentures in a pre-meditated attack and it passes in the media with little comment. Even Mick Wallace robbing his employees pensions, defrauding the taxpayer and playing ducks and drakes with the banks to avoid his debts, pales into comparison with the likes of this. The media and commentators have a lot to answer for when they ignore or play down this type of behaviour.

Will Mary-Lou do the decent thing and expel this thug from her party and ask him to stand down? I have little hope that she will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Not to mention the false statement " Richardson claimed he had acted in self-defence." and trying to haggle the amount "Counsel for Richardson said his client apologised, had come to court with €2,000, and was prepared to pay Mr Greene €3,000 more."

Actually shocking no prison for him in this case. The victim has to wear dentures for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DaraDali wrote: »
    Actually shocking no prison for him in this case.

Sorry, you are shocked that a guy who pleaded guilty with no relevant previous convictions didn't get a custodial sentence?

Really? Is this the first assault case you have ever read? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

A Sinn Fein councillor acting like a scumbag? No surprises there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Sentencing in Ireland for violent crimes is already a joke so I'm not convinced this is any lighter than normal.

That said, Judges generally go soft on politicians, of any party, out of deference to their power. Some that spring to mind:

The blind eye turned to serious factual inconsistencies in FG TD Alan Farrell's successful personal injury claim.
    Former FG TD Sean Conlan's €750 fine after he glassed a man, and then attempted to sue his victim for personal injuries.
    Former Labour TD Michael McNamara's successful appeal against a charge of dangerous driving and obstructing Gardai. The Court accepted that he did not stop for a Gardai car in pursuit at 2am as he was not aware of it as he was listening to a CD of the musical Oliver at a loud volume.
    FF TD Jim McDaid's €750 fine and 2 years off the road for driving very drunk along the wrong side of the N7 dual carraigeway for miles while vehicles approaching at high speed swerved to avoid a collision.
    FF TD Willie O'Dea's zero penalty for perjury. In comparison Jeffrey Archer got a 4 year sentence for this in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

10fathoms wrote: »
    A Sinn Fein councillor acting like a scumbag? No surprises there

"Acting"?

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Former Labour TD Michael McNamara's successful appeal against a charge of dangerous driving and obstructing Gardai. The Court accepted that he did not stop for a Gardai car in pursuit at 2am as he was not aware of it as he was listening to a CD of the musical Oliver at a loud volume.

It was thrown out because there was absolutely no way he was doing the speeds the guard accused him of.

There was also absolutely no way the guard was doing the speed he claimed he was.

Bad example TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This case is very similar to and reminds me of the time Dublin GAA footballer Diarmuid Connolly broke a mans jaw unprovoked and then he avoided prison on the proviso that he pay the victim €5,000 compensation. Which he then did his best to avoid paying.

Now given the OP is a big Dublin GAA supporter I am wondering did he also call for Diarmuid Connolly to be imprisoned and for Jim Gavin to drop him out of the Dublin GAA team permanently? Or is it only Sinn Fein thugs that he gets outraged about and Dublln GAA thugs get a free pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Boggles wrote: »
    It was thrown out because there was absolutely no way he was doing the speeds the guard accused him of.

There was also absolutely no way the guard was doing the speed he claimed he was.

Bad example TBH.

According to an engineer who he paid to go into Court and say that. Considering the amount of dubious "expert" evidence advanced in our courts without any real controls on its quality I find this unconvincing.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    According to an engineer who he paid to go into Court and say that. Considering the amount of dubious "expert" evidence advanced in our courts without any real controls on its quality I find this unconvincing.

The state is allowed their own expert witness, they didn't provide one.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Although you could argue for a custodial sentence, I wouldn't have pushed for one.

But I'm surprised at the small sum awarded. If the same injuries had been a result of a sign falling in a train station, the award would have been multiple times that. It seems that if it's instead the actions of a scumbag, it's worthy of a far smaller award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This case is very similar to and reminds me of the time Dublin GAA footballer Diarmuid Connolly broke a mans jaw unprovoked and then he avoided prison on the proviso that he pay the victim €5,000 compensation. Which he then did his best to avoid paying.

Now given the OP is a big Dublin GAA supporter I am wondering did he also call for Diarmuid Connolly to be imprisoned and for Jim Gavin to drop him out of the Dublin GAA team permanently? Or is it only Sinn Fein thugs that he gets outraged about and Dublln GAA thugs get a free pass?

Is Diarmuid Connolly elected by the people to his unpaid position? No.

This councillor is elected by the people to his well-paid position.

Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

tjhook wrote: »
    Although you could argue for a custodial sentence, I wouldn't have pushed for one.

But I'm surprised at the small sum awarded. If the same injuries had been a result of a sign falling in a train station, the award would have been multiple times that. It seems that if it's instead the actions of a scumbag, it's worthy of a far smaller award.

Could be wrong but think the victim would be entitled to take a civil case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

blanch152 wrote: »

Big difference.

I mean, I'm no fan of SF at all, but what does that have to do with custodial sentences?

We are all equal under the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

If Sinn Fein dissappeared off the face of the earth, what do you reckon would fill that massive void in your life?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Big difference.

I didn't think councillors were well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tjhook wrote: »

Could be wrong but think the victim would be entitled to take a civil case as well.
    Of course he is and the fact that it has been proven and accepted by another court will make his claim for compensation more straight forward.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I mean, I'm no fan of SF at all, but what does that have to do with custodial sentences?

We are all equal under the law.

The question was whether I thought Jim Gavin should fire Connolly, like I suggested Mary-Lou should fire the councillor, not about custodial sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

blanch152 wrote:
    This is unbelievable. Just because someone is a councillor, they shouldn't be treated leniently by the courts. A fine of €7,500 for knocking someone's teeth out is a complete disgrace. A complete thug who gets away without a jail sentence.

Believe it or not this is a normal sentence for someone with a clean record. I'm not a SF fan myself but I think you are making something out of nothing on this.

I honestly don't think he got special treatment because he's a politician

The question was whether I thought Jim Gavin should fire Connolly, like I suggested Mary-Lou should fire the councillor, not about custodial sentences.

Well if you're going down that road then Diarmuid Connolly represents the people of Dublin, didn't do it very well when he assaulted someone, I don't see much of a difference.

And you were complaining about the courts and lenient sentences so that statement does not add up.

Well if you're going down that road then Diarmuid Connolly represents the people of Dublin, didn't do it very well when he assaulted someone, I don't see much of a difference.

And you were complaining about the courts and lenient sentences so that statement does not add up.

Do you think the man is fit to be a councillor?

Or are you just dragging Diarmuid Connolly into the conversation to muddy the waters?

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Believe it or not this is a normal sentence for someone with a clean record. I'm not a SF fan myself but I think you are making something out of nothing on this.

I honestly don't think he got special treatment because he's a politician

This was pre-medidated, it wasn't something that happened in a bar or something. He deliberately went round to his ex-partner's house and assaulted her new partner.

For example, Diarmuid Connolly's case was heard in the District Court because of the circumstances of that case, which the DPP saw as being at a lower level, yet the punishment for the councillor, in a case held at the higher Circuit Court, was similar, despite the elements of pre-medidation, lack of remorse and lying to the Court that applied to the councillor.

Having looked at the example thrown up by the whataboutery merchants, I am more convinced that the councillor was dealt with easily.

Or are you just dragging Diarmuid Connolly into the conversation to muddy the waters?

Her's more highlighting your shinner obsession and double standard, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Big difference.

Oh no blanch they are almost identical cases- a violent assault leaving the victim needing surgery. Everyone is equal before the law so there is no difference here.

Tell me did you call for Diamuid Connolly to be imprisoned and dropped from the Dublin GAA team on the thread over there? I think we both know the answer to that one but feel free to link me to the post where you called for this and I'll admit I'm wrong.

It seems that thuggery is fine for you when Connolly is your thug and you dont want Dublins best player dropped from the team and are willing to look the other way but when a Shinner is involved you start a thread full of outrage. And werent you also defending Fine Gael TD Sean Conlon smashing a pint glass over someones face? So just the Sinn Fein thuggery that counts then, its fine when Dublin GAA players and Fine Gael TDs do it. Double standards are clearly at play here and its pretty transparent.

For the record I believe the SF Cllr, the Fine Gael TD and Diarmuid Connolly should all of gotten prison time. I'm not selective in who should face justice for being a scumbag.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Oh no blanch they are almost identical cases- a violent assault leaving the victim needing surgery. Everyone is equal before the law so there is no difference here.

Tell me did you call for Diamuid Connolly to be imprisoned and dropped from the Dublin GAA team on the thread over there? I think we both know the answer to that one but feel free to link me to the post where you called for this and I'll admit I'm wrong.

It seems that thuggery is fine for you when Connolly is your thug and you dont want Dublins best player dropped from the team and are willing to look the other way but when a Shinner is involved you start a thread full of outrage. And werent you also defending Fine Gael TD Sean Conlon smashing a pint glass over someones face? So just the Sinn Fein thuggery that counts then, its fine when Dublin GAA players and Fine Gael TDs do it. Double standards are clearly at play here and its pretty transparent.

For the record I believe the SF Cllr, the Fine Gael TD and Diarmuid Connolly should all of gotten prison time. I'm not selective in who should face justice for being a scumbag.

Sorry, I have already pointed out the differences between the two cases.

The DPP brought the lesser one (Connolly) to the District Court and the more serious one (the councillor) to the Circuit Court. Pre-meditation, lack of remorse and lying to the court were also factors in the councillor case.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Her's more highlighting your shinner obsession and double standard, I would have thought.

Turning the OP into the story is one way of deflecting from the issues raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

blanch152 wrote:
    This was pre-medidated, it wasn't something that happened in a bar or something. He deliberately went round to his ex-partner's house and assaulted her new partner.

Again I state that this is not an unusual sentence for a first offence. He did get a 2.5 year suspended sentence. If he doesn't keep the peace for X amount of years he will automatically be sent to prison for 2.5 years.

This happens almost daily in Irish courts. I understand saying that it is not tough enough (I agree with that statement) but its utter nonsense to suggest that it's a lower than usual sentence because he's a politician. He's not even a real politician. He is a local Councillor.

A minister for justice refusing to give a breath sample at a mandatory check point & going unchallenged is a worthy story because if I had asthma & refused to give a breath test I would be taken to the station.

Thread titled needs to be changed because the sentence has nothing to do with the fact that he is a SF Councillor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Would that compensation even cover the cost of implants for the missing teeth?

No, I don't think he is. Should be sacked. As should Connolly. Who I didn't even bring up, can you please keep up with the conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sf-councillor-who-knocked-out-victims-teeth-escapes-jail-sentence-38583536.html

"A Sinn Féin councillor who attacked his ex-wife's partner in a drunken rage, resulting in the loss of three of his teeth, avoided jail and was ordered to pay his victim €7,500."

"In his victim impact statement which was read to the court, Mr Greene said he had suffered a loss of earnings, dental costs of €3,740, and the loss of three teeth which left it impossible for him to maintain a simple conversation."

How do people like this get elected? Why do judges go so easy on them?

We have national outrage over a few hundred in over-claimed expenses, yet a councillor can leave someone needing dentures in a pre-meditated attack and it passes in the media with little comment. Even Mick Wallace robbing his employees pensions, defrauding the taxpayer and playing ducks and drakes with the banks to avoid his debts, pales into comparison with the likes of this. The media and commentators have a lot to answer for when they ignore or play down this type of behaviour.

Will Mary-Lou do the decent thing and expel this thug from her party and ask him to stand down? I have little hope that she will.

And here we have the real reason for the thread. Didn't see any Green Party folk on the list, suprised you're not siding with the tax payer. At what level is tax payer money important? How many times should one politician be caught on the make before they deserve criticism?

It was no glassing in the face but yeah, nobody should vote for these people. Some wanted that FG lad sent down, some kept side tracking and dismissing the victims claims. Not so here......

You even got Mick Wallace in, Paul Murphy for the triple? :)

• Advertisement

Turning the OP into the story is one way of deflecting from the issues raised.

"deflecting", eh?
    We have national outrage over a few hundred in over-claimed expenses, ......................

Advertisement