Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Scam

Options
  • 11-10-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I advertised a property to rent via daft. Since last night I have been exchanging emails with this person, but I very highly suspect a scam.
    Can I ask your opinions on it.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

My name is xxxx xxxxx, I'm 30 years old female from München, Germany. I don't smoke, I drink wine but occasionally. I'm a tidy and quiet person. My colleague and I will establish a film production company in Ireland and which is the reason I need the room.

I will be coming to Ireland to do some research on how to establish the company before my colleague arrives.

Please get back to me with the rent duration, price and how many people will share the property?

Looking forward to read from you

That was the first email, the next email is

Thanks for providing more information about the place, I've also seen more information on the website and I'm satisfied.

I'm hoping to rent it for 12 or 24 months from 26/10/2019 and I'm willing to pay from the availability date to secure the room, also please be informed that payment will be made by bank draft payable in Ireland.

Please get back to me with the information as requested below so that I can forward it to my colleague for payment approval.

Name: Address: City: Eircode: Tel:

What are the documents you require to complete the rent?

Hoping to read from you soon.

Kind regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

It's a definate possiblility. I'd reply that bank draft is not accepted and payment must be made by EFT in advance and see what sort of response you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

You need to meet them in person to start with. If that doesn't suit them then let them find somewhere else.

Well if they pay the money and it doesn't bounce then how is it a scam?

She asks for what documents are required. Ask for a copy of photo ID and a proof of address in Germany. Offer to meet her and show her the property when she is over.

Part of my job is analyzing possible scam and spam emails. I'm not seeing anything obvious in the language. I'd be happy to analyze the email headers for you if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Advise them Airbnb may suit better....

You will have people tripping over themselves to give you 2 or 3 months up front as places are so scarce....

I wouldn't even entertain them types of emails....

I drink wine occasionally, what has that got to do with renting.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Well if they pay the money and it doesn't bounce then how is it a scam?

Not saying this lS a scam but if you are familiar with scams then you should know about scam bank drafts etc.

She pays by bank draft for an amount we'll over what's required for rental eg rent is 1k deposit so she sends a draft 'accidentally' for 3k.

OP then needs to send her a refund of 2k, turns out the original draft of 3k was fake. OP is down 2k now and she's 2k richer. Very common scam for car sellers to come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Not saying this lS a scam but if you are familiar with scams then you should know about scam bank drafts etc.

She pays by bank draft for an amount we'll over what's required for rental eg rent is 1k deposit so she sends a draft 'accidentally' for 3k.

OP then needs to send her a refund of 2k, turns out the original draft of 3k was fake. OP is down 2k now and she's 2k richer. Very common scam for car sellers to come across.

Yea thats what I was thinking too.

''please be informed that payment will be made by bank draft payable in Ireland.''

This line is a dead give away, they ask you nicely about what docs, price, room etc but they are telling you right now up front how the payment will be made. Who pays by draft from abroad when eft is much cheaper, easier and faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

it sounds to me as though her employer or work colleague is paying for her?
    Would this be a reason why?

i would not rent out a room or property to anyone without meeting them and getting a feel for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Only idiots fall for that.

Clearly you would wait for the 3k deposit to clear before returning 2k.

Definitely move on op. Plenty more genuine renters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Definitely move on op. Plenty more genuine renters....

I'd agree with this OP.
    Not because it's a scam, but because someone who is coming here to start a new business doesn't sound like they will have a reliable source of income yet.

Better to go with someone working a solid 9-5 with a reliable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’d be on orange alert for a scam. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Unless you are advertising for accommodation in the back arse of nowhere with no one else interested why would you bother to entertain this, legitimate or not?

If they target 100 people and just one falls for it then it's well worth their while. You'd be surprised how convincing professional scam artists can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Anyone who gives a "story" about why they are renting is more than likely a scam.

And as for bank drafts? Lol !! I haven't seen a bank draft in about 10 years I'd say. Obvious scam.

Even if they could prove it was all geniune why would you bother renting to young, inexperienced film makers with no reliable income from Germany? In saying that they will come here to set up a film company they have basically said they are unemployed at present.

Working professionals here in ireland would take the hand off you here for a property and offer you wads of cash. None of this back story and bank draft rubbish.

All of which is why I said "and if it doesn't bounce".
    If they target 100 people and just one falls for it then it's well worth their while. You'd be surprised how convincing professional scam artists can be.

I see this daily so I wouldnt be surprised. I could tell you some great stories if it werent for my many NDAs. I would love to see the email headers. If it turns out the email originated in Melbourne or Magaluf and not Munchen that right there is a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

100% scam, writing in the email is all over the place with confidence content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Could you not check this out with their Lagos office? I'm sure the manager there will reassure you that all is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I dont want to to tempt fate myself with anything at all, but why would anyone send money back to anyone unless whatever was sent had cleared?? even then I think Idhold onto it for their own stupidity in case it turned out to be a scam or fraud of some kind where you end up laundering money for them, maybe Im paranoid and cynical.

1874 wrote: »
    I dont want to to tempt fate myself with anything at all, but why would anyone send money back to anyone unless whatever was sent had cleared?? even then I think Idhold onto it for their own stupidity in case it turned out to be a scam or fraud of some kind where you end up laundering money for them, maybe Im paranoid and cynical.

People are stupid....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

If they were German they'd be asking about square meterage, kaution/deposit and they don't use drafts, they transfer to IBAN/BIC codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

got very similar email in January 2018 and December 2018... different names used; "to establish film production company"

see more at https://forum.ybig.ie/scam-baiting_topic56620_page1.html - did she send you same photos? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

All of which is why I said "and if it doesn't bounce".

I see this daily so I wouldnt be surprised. I could tell you some great stories if it werent for my many NDAs. I would love to see the email headers. If it turns out the email originated in Melbourne or Magaluf and not Munchen that right there is a red flag.

100% clear this is a scam.

Why would you love to see the emails headers? What sort of analysis would you do? All you can do is read them, and see what server sent it and the route it took. And guess what? It's going to have come from a Gmail server or an Outlook.com server, what does that tell you? Nothing. The scammer isn't going to be sending email from their ip. Amateur stuff.

Hello I am prince punisher and I need somewhere to live...

I will pay your asking price and give you enough for 3 months, if you need more just ask....

Also I have billions and need an account to put this money through so can you put this through I just need your personal details and bank account details sir....

I work hard for the money so hard for it honey....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

That is how they pay in germany

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

juice1304 wrote: »

Germans EFT everything. Not bank drafts.

Its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Hi

Bank drafts are as good as cash

That’s if they are not stolen or forged of course

As for waiting for it to clear LOL
    That can take over a month + with a foreign bank to fully clear.

Your bank may clear it earlier than this on face value but guess who will be out of pocket when your bank realise it’s a dud .... you will

Likely you will be over paid and they req a 50% refund as they have a sob story that they can’t make it to Iteland after all

It’s an old con trick

I rented a place a year ago and this email seems incredibly familiar, I believe I was sent a close variant of this then

Anyway run a mile from it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

meijin wrote: »
    got very similar email in January 2018 and December 2018... different names used; "to establish film production company"

see more at https://forum.ybig.ie/scam-baiting_topic56620_page1.html - did she send you same photos? :rolleyes:

looks the same to me

edit: hows about you don't post people passport scans, real or not, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

juice1304 wrote: »

Mod note
    Keep it civil and refrain from abusive language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Are there not tons of people living and working in Ireland looking to rent your place?

Advertisement