Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show 11/10/19

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

No Late Late for me tonight.I watched all of the Graham Norton Show,great to see Bruce Springsteen and Robert De Niro on the couch together.
    Unfortunately Bruce didn't perform,instead it was the very bland James Blunt who sang some instantly forgettable ditty.
    Anyway I missed nothing exciting on the Late Late.I would love to hear John Bercow interviewed by a good interviewer.Those TV licence ads,Duffy went over time on Liveline yesterday so that he could fit the f...ing thing in.
    I saw that can you imagine Tubridy interviewing Springsteen I'd give him a minute before he'd bring Trump into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'll just say this before I go. Duffy knows absolutely nothing about what a Belfast street looked like in the 70s and 80s or what it was like to live there while all this was going on. Like a lot of southerners (and I don't really blame them) he kept his head well down around this time. And one thing you'd be a long time waitin for the likes of Duffy to come to your aid when catholics were being burned out of their homes.. A very long time waiting and now he revisits it when it's safe to do so to dig into the deaths of children to feed some fetish he has around death and put his own ignorant uneducated slant on history.. Where were you Duffy when we needed you???

Well said. Shaping around students politics in Trinity and then hanging on Gay Byrne's coat tails.
    I'm sorry I shouldn't get emotional after all these years have passed but the likes of Duffy seriously annoy me painting everything in black and white when everything was grey back then ira, inla, uda, uvf, udr, British army, ruc they were all at it. the whole thing was a tangled mess and still is though not as bad now it's still there an it'll take generations to wash out if given a chance . People like Duffy will never understand never in a month of Sundays

Your posts are spot on.

But is it not fair to say the North is a place that needs a 3rd angle projection at times.

An outsider opinion. A third party resolution.

Because inside it you are blind to the daftness of it?

A place refusing to govern itself says it all.
    The Duffster is not the man for that job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Gays wife Kathleen is on Darcy show tomorrow night.

Bonnie Greer is also on.She was brilliant on Question Time last week and would be a great guest on a good chat show,but.....I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'll just say this before I go. Duffy knows absolutely nothing about what a Belfast street looked like in the 70s and 80s or what it was like to live there while all this was going on. Like a lot of southerners (and I don't really blame them) he kept his head well down around this time. And one thing you'd be a long time waitin for the likes of Duffy to come to your aid when catholics were being burned out of their homes.. A very long time waiting and now he revisits it when it's safe to do so to dig into the deaths of children to feed some fetish he has around death and put his own ignorant uneducated slant on history.. Where were you Duffy when we needed you???

Well said
    He is pure SCUM SCUM SCUM
    He needs the profits from this book to upgrade the Jag
    Uter scumbag

Having driven an E-Type 4.2 straight 6 (Once with the owner a mile ahead for 25 miles in case there were any cops out) I wouldn'd go near one of their modern yokes. Maybe the one with the 3 exhausts in the middle. F-Type I think.
    Who do I apply to for that time back? I could have finished the book I’m reading, could have watched the Breaking Bad movie, could have had a wa_k*......all better uses of my time than that.

* a walk of course, what did you think I meant?

Fancy a wa k tomorrow?
    Gays wife Kathleen is on Darcy show tomorrow night.

She must have a new kids book out.
    Whoy did she never take the Byrne name? Proper pain in the hole stuff, you are married, you will use same surname. If you decide on double barreled names for you and/or your kids you and your family should be excommunicated to Belize.

Watkins sounds posher.

Disclaimer: I don't like her since she pipped my old mate Julian Gough at a kids' books award a few years ago.

:
    I saw that can you imagine Tubridy interviewing Springsteen I'd give him a minute before he'd bring Trump into it

He did interview Bruce back in 2016,it was recorded in London,you will find it on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Blimey the films on both rte 1 and 2 are up there with the worst I've ever seen.

When Bruce was doing "The Seeger Sessions" in the Point, a few of us from my local organised a "bus up". One of the lads who had zero interest in Bruce went along for the ride - It made things cheaper for the rest of us. Anyway, after a sh1tload of magic mushrooms and other stuff (spiked, of course) we went to the gig. Our protagonist got fcuked out for shouting "What the fcuk is this sh1t? Play 'The River'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Naggdefy wrote: »
    When was Naas in D4?

Lot of ill will out their for individuals who are lumped into a stereotype.

Bit like saying everyone from Kerry is like Danny Healy Rae.

There's a significant cohort in Naas who model themselves on the D4 stereotype.

Get yourself down to Grace's disco bar one night and you'll see em out in full force. Not a Kildare accent in earshot. Heaslip is a good example. Out living in Sandymount now with the goys.

Accent aside, he's a wanker by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

There's a significant cohort in Naas who model themselves on the D4 stereotype.

Get yourself down to Grace's disco bar one night and you'll see em out in full force. Not a Kildare accent in earshot. Heaslip is a good example. Out living in Sandymount now with the goys.

Accent aside, he's a wanker by all accounts.

I've heard the phrase K4 more than a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

De Bhál wrote: »
    I've heard the phrase K4 more than a few times.

yep. Meant to mention that term actually. There's some serious snobbery about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »
    When Bruce was doing "The Seeger Sessions" in the Point, a few of us from my local organised a "bus up". One of the lads who had zero interest in Bruce went along for the ride - It made things cheaper for the rest of us. Anyway, after a sh1tload of magic mushrooms and other stuff (spiked, of course) we went to the gig. Our protagonist got fcuked out for shouting "What the fcuk is this sh1t? Play 'The River'.

Haha deadly

Same as that. Met Sean a few times. His late wife thought me honours Irish for the laeving.

Are you new here?

Should have had her for English too. RIP Virginia.

Bruce did play The River in the Point back then,it was during the second of the three shows there in November 2006.It was in waltz time but was not included on the Live In Dublin album which was recorded over those three night.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Haha deadly

If I remember correctly it can be heard on the CD if you know what you're listening for. I'll ask the lads tomorrow what song it was. .

Bruce did play The River in the Point back then,it was during the second of the three shows there in November 2006.It was in waltz time but was not included on the Live In Dublin album which was recorded over those three night.

THis happened early in the gig. "What the fcuk is this sh1t? Play 'The River'. Mightn't have been the exact words he used but he wasn't impressed. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A mate of mine has done it a few times. He insists on coming over here every year and dragging me 3/4 ways up Ben Bulben and Ben Whiskin while he goes to the top. (My knees aren't great.) This year we were after 2 days of very heavy rain so he didn't chance it. We went for a few pints instead and I ended up getting a slap and a black eye from a randommer.

See Liveline thread for details.

Lies. It was in the paper that no humans were the victims of one punch attacks in the Sligo region that night, and a Garda stated this in court. I know who I believe.

:rolleyes::pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

It shows how Tubridy is a w@nker who has zero personality and zero empathy.
    The question to the old woman whose soon was abducted and murdered was just insane - can you tell us what they did to him?
    We know they abducted and killed him.

He wanted her to say “On January 30th, 1973, Philip was on his way home when he was abducted from the street by loyalist paramilitaries. He was taken to the Giant’s Ring, outside Belfast, where they hooded him with his coat, beat him, and then shot him several times.”

Tubridy is a complete no brained twat. He’s got prompt cards with what looks like 24 sized font on it has a week to prepare and that’s the best he can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

riddles wrote: »
    The question to the old man whose soon was abducted and murdered was just insane - can you tell us what they did to him?

He wanted her to say “On January 30th, 1973, Philip was on his way home when he was abducted from the street by loyalist paramilitaries. He was taken to the Giant’s Ring, outside Belfast, where they hooded him with his coat, beat him, and then shot him several times.”

Tubridy is a complete no brained twat. He’s got prompt cards with what looks like 24 sized font on it has a week to prepare and that’s the best he can do?
    He is a tool for sure. I remember watching him interview Finbar Furey and he asked him why he closed his eyes sometimes when he sings. Finbar was visibly uncomfortable with the question and I was cringing watching it. Turbrity is an overpaid pretentious tool of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

He is a tool for sure. I remember watching him interview Finbar Furey and he asked him why he closed his eyes sometimes when he sings.

There's a terrible dishonesty about his interviews as well. Just listening to him speaking to Pippa O'Connor and Lucy Kennedy this weeks - nothing but compliments dressed up as questions. "The reason I like you is", "You're great at A, but you're also great at B", "I have your book/documentary/supermop and I have to say it's fantastic". Every interview becomes like an infomercial. When you know that he, the Beatle/America politic/literature/history loving fop that he is, would have absolutely zero interest in what the guest is whoring around.

I know there is a certain element of having to be nice to the guests and making them feel comfortable, but surely it's possible to do it with a shred of humility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Whoy did she never take the Byrne name? Proper pain in the hole stuff, you are married, you will use same surname. If you decide on double barreled names for you and/or your kids you and your family should be excommunicated to Belize.

Don't ever change, AD.

• Advertisement

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Don't ever change, AD.

Well we know one thing for certain Brian, you certainly won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Thanks for that, Poindexter

Well we know one thing for certain Brian, you certainly won’t.

Praise indeed, ButtersSuki. Thank you.

Praise indeed, ButtersSuki. Thank you.

Always a pleasure to see you, though it’s become a thing of rare beauty these days seeing as you got yourself permabanned from radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

riddles wrote: »
    The question to the old man whose soon was abducted and murdered was just insane - can you tell us what they did to him?

He is very limited as an interviewer. His knowledge across all topics I would say is very moderate on the lower side. Seems his prep and research work in the days beforehand for the show is poor. I'd hazard a guess he has a list of questions that he regurgitates for all guests tweaking slightly. He is unable to think on his feet and ask the probing questions that viewers want to see. We are not getting value.

They need to freshen things up, the series is dying a death this year. It's Friday night, the entertainment factor is largely missing.

Always a pleasure to see you, though it’s become a thing of rare beauty these days seeing as you got yourself permabanned from radio.

Just de Liveline tread and dat so to speak sez I.

Just de Liveline tread and dat so to speak sez I.

Such a shame that it wasn’t more, but keep it up and I’m sure it won’t be long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I genuinely can’t think of a more ghoulish gift to give somebody for Christmas than Joe’s buke.

Surely something a photography buke like ‘Dogs Underwater’ would suffice.

Such a shame that it wasn’t more, but keep it up and I’m sure it won’t be long.

Thank you.

I genuinely can’t think of a more ghoulish gift to give somebody for Christmas than Joe’s buke.

Surely something a photography buke like ‘Dogs Underwater’ would suffice.

I can’t see this being for the average person, even one who is interested in modern history. I’m assuming every family who made a contribution to the content of the book is being gifted a copy by Joe/Freya/publisher. So what is the market for it?

Reference & lending libraries, public & institutional. There will be on average two copies bought for every public library in Ireland plus spare. Some schools & college libraries. RDS library. Trinity college & others. Other institutions, North & ROI. Some copies in larger British libraries, London, BLLD holdings, Glasgow etc.

Personally bought copies by/for people who are avid collectors of Irish history books and have the shelf space to accommodate it.

The odd one bought as Christmas present by aunts/uncles who view it as an educational sort of book for their sibling’s family and who know that family likes book in general and as it’s being advertised for the Christmas market and they’re not sure what else to buy for a family.

Later unsold copies, flogged at reduced price, may be bought by individuals who consider it might make a suitable “coffee table book”, seeing as it’s so cheap anyway.

That’s my reckoning of the market, and I have worked in books all my life. It’s a limited market. Nonetheless it has its merits as a reference book for research and quotes, with especial academic credence by virtue of Freya’s oversight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Skid X wrote: »
    It's a bit strange and inappropriate for Mr Speaker 'Not Happy' John Bercow to appear on a live TV chat show in another country.

He is meant to be above politics and seen to be an honest broker keeping order and balance between MPs and the Government.

He should really wait until the end of the month when he quits his Speaker gig.

I've seen him on Dutch TV in a chat show format in the last 8 months or so not unusual.

I don't think he says anything that compromises his position - it's more the 'order, order' fame and the olde worlde customs of HoC and people interested in his story from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I've seen him on Dutch TV in a chat show format in the last 8 months or so not unusual.

I don't think he says anything that compromises his position - it's more the 'order, order' fame and the olde worlde customs of HoC and people interested in his story from that.

People might be interested, but that doesn't validate his actions.

Good judgement, impartiality, respect for convention, dignity - all important attributes for the Speaker Of The House Of Commons. John Bercow displays none of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Was waiting around last night waiting for John Bercow instead of doing the sensible thing and watching season 5 of Breaking Bad before I get to El Camino. I waited until Mrs Brown's second visit and then said to hell with this and put on Breaking Bad. Tubridy has a nasty habit of keeping the good guests until the end and expects us to watch Mrs Brown, a sports personality and another unfunny supposed comedian. Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Apparently go call someone by their actual name in the House Of Commons is an insult, you have to instead say the right honorable etc etc.

only members of the Privy Council are right honorable. Other MPs are "the honourable member for Little Twidging Northwest"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

goose2005 wrote: »
    only members of the Privy Council are right honorable. Other MPs are "the honourable member for Little Twidging Northwest"

Order Order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Skid X wrote: »
    People might be interested, but that doesn't validate his actions.

Good judgement, impartiality, respect for convention, dignity - all important attributes for the Speaker Of The House Of Commons. John Bercow displays none of them.

Oh well, I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Mrs Brown and his/her smut has long outworn any welcome it once had at this stage. Bernard O'Shea was not much better. Why does Tubridy always insist on having an overdose of smutty comedy here. Might as well bring back Al Porter while you're at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Mrs Brown and his/her smut has long outworn any welcome it once had at this stage. Bernard O'Shea was not much better. Why does Tubridy always insist on having an overdose of smutty comedy here. Might as well bring back Al Porter while you're at it!

Please NO !

• Advertisement
Advertisement