Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career Guidance for senior cycle - lesson plans?

• 11-10-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I was hoping someone might be able to help me and if you are a Career Guidance Teacher I would really appreciate your reply!

To cut a long story short, my child's Careers Guidance Teacher seems to have no organisation or plan as to what she does with the children in class, that is when she is actually in the school as she is absent a lot. My question is, does/should a Career Guidance Teacher have 'lessons plans'?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

I would imagine they do. Or at least they should know where or whom to direct you to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usually career guidance teachers are also school counsellors so while she might not be in the class, she may be busy elsewhere in the school.

The classes themselves are usually information sessions which is a difficult enough trick when you have 30 in a class, all wanting individual attention and information for different careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

spurious wrote: »
    Usually career guidance teachers are also school counsellors so while she might not be in the class, she may be busy elsewhere in the school.

The classes themselves are usually information sessions which is a difficult enough trick when you have 30 in a class, all wanting individual attention and information for different careers.

Thank you spurious. I appreciate that. In your experience, do career guidance teachers have a lesson plan for each year? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

justagirl wrote: »
    Thank you spurious. I appreciate that. In your experience, do career guidance teachers have a lesson plan for each year? Thanks.

Oh they would have what they call a scheme of work for sure, everyone has to have an overall plan.

It would be fairly general from what I know...ways to determine what your strengths and weaknesses are, what 'sort' of job people would like, aptitude testing methods, requirements for particular courses, main dates of Open Days for colleges/universities, available scholarships, deadlines for PLC entries, etc.. I don't see any evidence that someone covers how the CAO works with students, but you would think they should.

Sometimes it seems to me it is the mammies have filled in the CAO form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Oh they would have what they call a scheme of work for sure, everyone has to have an overall plan.

It would be fairly general from what I know...ways to determine what your strengths and weaknesses are, what 'sort' of job people would like, aptitude testing methods, requirements for particular courses, main dates of Open Days for colleges/universities, available scholarships, deadlines for PLC entries, etc.. I don't see any evidence that someone covers how the CAO works with students, but you would think they should.

Sometimes it seems to me it is the mammies have filled in the CAO form.
    Thank you spurious - that is very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't see any evidence that someone covers how the CAO works with students, but you would think they should.
    Mate of mine is a CG teacher, he despairs.

Goes through CAO in great detail, to a chorus of "we know all that sir!!" .... then suddenly they don't when the time comes.

He popped into this forum around offers day a time or two and nearly cried ...

Every year we have people here who miss the CAO deadline. You really would wonder how they can possibly manage at third level if they can't manage one simple deadline for applications.

Advertisement