Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher ''shortage''

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

salonfire wrote: »
    More likely he was trotting out the union propaganda to soften up the public for the next strike.

Whether or not his niece is full time, the fact is full time new primary teachers are on much more than €400 per week.

You really don't have a clue do you?

You should inform yourself a little given your obsession with teachers.

The idea of John Boyle pushing for a strike is beyond laughable. Do you know when the INTO were last on strike?

There are very few full time teachers in the early years out of college. It's casual work mostly and it doesn't pay enough to live in Dublin.

Well done on your long division though. You must have very little to be doing all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Snapgal wrote: »
    No proper jobs in Irish. I have over 17 years experience in teaching Irish, corrected papers and acted as an examiner - I still was not good enough for one or two RPT low hour contracts I interviewed for.I’d advise anybody not to go into teaching unless you are well in with county GAA or have links with a school BOM.
    RealJohn wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but "correcting papers" is "acting as an examiner", and I really don't mean this as an insult but rather, constructive criticism, but if you have that much experience and aren't being offered jobs, you're sending some wrong message. I don't know what that message might be, and it might not be your fault, but you need to look at your process (or get a friendly but critical outside party to look at it) and figure out what you're doing wrong.

I would have assumed that 'acted as an examiner' referred to doing the oral exams as Snapgal is an Irish teacher.

Also, she might not be sending out any wrong message. Plenty of schools in my region that are actively hiring inexperienced teachers over experienced teachers as they are easier to exploit mould and don't know their rights/ aren't as familiar with the run of things coming straight out of college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

Shortage of full hours jobs is more like it. I've been looking for a maths teaching gig west of the Shannon for the past 2/3 years and not a sniff.

Living in Dublin doesn't have all the appeal that some would have you believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

I would have assumed that 'acted as an examiner' referred to doing the oral exams as Snapgal is an Irish teacher.

Also, she might not be sending out any wrong message. Plenty of schools in my region that are actively hiring inexperienced teachers over experienced teachers as they are easier to exploit mould and don't know their rights/ aren't as familiar with the run of things coming straight out of college.

Thank you Rainbowtrout for above post as that is exactly what has happened to me. Was in the east of the country for over 14 years and unable to redeploy west had to resign from my CID position. People told me with my experience and with my other subjects bring MFL I would walk into a position - 4 years on and still not CID or even own hours. I was so hurt in a local country school where took a job share with a high possibilty of CID as teacher retiring that I turned down a
    few other positions as commute was a little longer - did lots
    of extra curricular and got on
    fantastic with inspection. Got on with staff and students. went through whole interview process as my subjects were spit into two positions. Jobs given to NQTs related to management with strong GAA ties. Students were devasted sending me emails that sept saying how much they would miss
    me not only as a teacher but as a kind fair person. I have always been such a positive person - raising money for charities, volunteer abroad etc but feel teaching especially in last few years changing me as a person. I’ll either have to leave this profession or move with family back up East again.
    My advice if you want to take up teaching outside Dublin in a country school is to take it up if you well in with a principal/BOM and local GAA politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Snapgal wrote: »
    Thank you Rainbowtrout for above post as that is exactly what has happened to me. Was in the east of the country for over 14 years and unable to redeploy west had to resign from my CID position. People told me with my experience and with my other subjects bring MFL I would walk into a position - 4 years on and still not CID or even own hours. I was so hurt in a local country school where took a job share with a high possibilty of CID as teacher retiring that I turned down a
    few other positions as commute was a little longer - did lots
    of extra curricular and got on
    fantastic with inspection. Got on with staff and students. went through whole interview process as my subjects were spit into two positions. Jobs given to NQTs related to management with strong GAA ties. Students were devasted sending me emails that sept saying how much they would miss
    me not only as a teacher but as a kind fair person. I have always been such a positive person - raising money for charities, volunteer abroad etc but feel teaching especially in last few years changing me as a person. I’ll either have to leave this profession or move with family back up East again.
    My advice if you want to take up teaching outside Dublin in a country school is to take it up if you well in with a principal/BOM and local GAA politics.

Agree with this one hundred per cent. Hard work and dedication may get you through college but unfortunately that's were honesty and getting something on hard work and on merit ends as Ireland is full of nepotism and who you know to enable you to get a job.

Not in all cases but in a good few from what I have seen.

• Advertisement

dazzeremo wrote: »
    surely one solution would be to enable existing teachers to add teacher specific qualifications ao that they can teach these in demand subjects. subsidis the cost of full degree or reduce the content to LC level. as long as the Teaching Council are around, there will be an issue.

spending 9k on a degree so you might get a few hours in it is ridiculous.

I know the vast majority of teachers on mickey mouse contracts (anything less than 22 hours per week) would gladly take up such an opportunity.

we have enough teachers. let them teach.

Wasn't there a free course for Maths offered which stopped after a year due to no demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Wasn't there a free course for Maths offered which stopped after a year due to no demand?

Where did you hear that? It ran for at least 5 years. A friend attended UCD for it one of the years and said there was around 60 in the group. It ran in several universities around the country. I'd be very surprised if what you say is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Where did you hear that? It ran for at least 5 years. A friend attended UCD for it one of the years and said there was around 60 in the group. It ran in several universities around the country. I'd be very surprised if what you say is true.
    It isn't true. It ran for several years in several universities, like you said. Two of my colleagues did it in different years, several years apart.

It has stopped now though, I believe, so it might be the case that the demand has now dropped to the point where they felt there was no need to continue running it. It's still the case that only half of the maths teachers in our place are actually qualified to teach maths though, so maybe it's time schools and teachers were actually incentivised to upskill, rather than being offered a free course but no financial incentive nor a reduction in teaching hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dazzeremo

as far as I know, this was only available to teachers who were timetabled to teach maths anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

dazzeremo wrote: »
    as far as I know, this was only available to teachers who were timetabled to teach maths anyway.

it definitely didn't stop because of the lack of demand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

The maths course in the university I did it in anyways stopped due to lack of funding. Every year there was more online lectures and less face to face contact so we knew it was heading that way.

Advertisement