Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gives little scrote a smack of a hurl and gets 4 year sentence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That's life.

Also some shi*e talk with comments in this thread.
    Ah poor boy? **** him. Sure truth be told your man with the Hurley is probably a scumbag himself. **** them both.

Nobody's saying poor boy are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Because it is irrelevant.

as a whole it's not irrelevant though.
    it shows the individual is a threat to society and that he has to be removed to protect society from him.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

it shows the individual is a threat to society and that he has to be removed to protect society from him.
    more like actual threat to actual scumbags, which is way more then the law or guards can do these days.

scamalert wrote: »
    more like actual threat to actual scumbags, which is way more then the law or guards can do these days.

he also apparently has a previous conviction for violent behaviour. so yes i would say threat to society as a whole rather then just scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

8-10 wrote: »
    Nobody's saying poor boy are they?

Read the first few pages. There was those who were taking the boys side.

Also "poor xxx" is an expression. Thanks for taking it literal. Bet you're one of the cool kids aren't ya

*Edit*
    I've just seen the amount of times you've posted in this thread. You've got some hard on for this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

It is remotely similar.

Man hears lads damaging his car.
    Man goes out with bat and whacks one.

OK, if you insist then. Remotely similar, and in an extremely superficial way.

Not worth your while posting about it in the first place, one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

he also apparently has a previous conviction for violent behaviour. so yes i would say threat to society as a whole rather then just scumbags.

Thats interesting, no mention of it in the newspaper ( that I read anyway) Do you have any detail's? Was it something similar, or an unprovoked attack?

The other poster was crying that we were not making enough of the fact that the convicted man had some other conviction from years ago.

That other conviction IS irrelevant in the context that this time, this little dirtbag got what he deserved.

If you want to make a case that Curtis should be off the streets himself, fine. The other poster was not doing so.

jmreire wrote: »
    Thats interesting, no mention of it in the newspaper ( that I read anyway) Do you have any detail's? Was it something similar, or an unprovoked attack?

It does my head in that people can't read the thread, but just dive in at the end :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111488819&postcount=83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ah, yeah he’s trash

and probably a little unhinged but then he looks like such a mild mannered fellow... just goes to show you never can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

8-10 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean the assault was justified. Had he died he wouldn't damage the car again, would that have been worth it?

It would have been effective though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

It does my head in that people can't read the thread, but just dive in at the end :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111488819&postcount=83

My word, so it doe's..... missed that paragraph ( time for specsaver's :) ) but calm down...don't allow it to damage your head, it's not that important. :D ( the thread I mean, not your head.... :) )
    Even so, assume that the injured lad never went to that area that day, or if he did go, but did not cause any trouble, would there have been a different outcome, for both of them? Sure there would. Those guys went looking for trouble that day ( and most likely, it was not their first time either) and they found it. Sorry if I seem a little bit unsympathetic to the injured party, but I feel that he contributed to the situation in a big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Are we supposed to just lie there on the ground being assaulted and do nothing about it? Ah sure the gardai will sort it out, much good calling them will do!

The judges and this legal system that is completely on the side of criminals and druggies is a spit in the face of every honest hard working person living in Ireland. Is it a "human rights" thing? Ah sure let's not be too hard on the violent feral nutjobs, let's not infringe on their human rights!

A country that not only abandons its citizens but punishes them for standing up and protecting themselves is a complete and utter disgrace.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Are we supposed to just lie there on the ground being assaulted and do nothing about it? Ah sure the gardai will sort it out, much good calling them will do!
    No, you're entitled to defend yourself, you're even entitled to strike the first blow, as they say. But you're not entitled to chase someone, hit them on the back of the head so severely you break their skull and give them brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

OK, if you insist then. Remotely similar, and in an extremely superficial way.

Not worth your while posting about it in the first place, one way or another.

I do insist. It was an incident involving scum bags who were causing trouble outside a fella's house and damaging his property. It had happened a few times before it came to blows. Man loses the rag and hits a young fella in the head with a bat.

It's a relevant contribution to the thread as it shows what can happen to someone who thinks they are defending their property and takes things too far.

So stop being contrary little sh*te yourself. And dont tell me what's worth my while and what's not. Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

milehip wrote: »
    A smack that resulted in a fractured skull tho?
    good enough for him. these gangs of young lads and girls, think they are immune to the law. I deliver to shops, some in quite roughareas, and the grief and abuse they have to put up with is unbelieveable. Particularly asian shopkeepers get dogs abuse, and a lot of the time the Gardai either dont respond or when they do, say the kids are too young

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

good enough for him. these gangs of young lads and girls, think they are immune to the law

Sounds like you think this guy should have been immune to the law too.

Luckily for the rest of us he got put behind bars where he belongs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

No, you're entitled to defend yourself, you're even entitled to strike the first blow, as they say. But you're not entitled to chase someone, hit them on the back of the head so severely you break their skull and give them brain damage.

Have you ever been attacked by these gangs? You think they just wait in turn patiently like a movie to make a move on you one by one? They attack you as a pack, and unless you have a very immediate and decisive way to fight back, you're at their mercy - if you just strike back normally, one of them flips out a knife and that's that. You pretty much just have to let them kick you to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He's a kid, dude. He was 16 years of age at the time, 21 now. His brain hasn't finished developing, and in certain respects it probably won't develop. He's suffered a brain injury because someone flew into a rage, without any defence of self-defence. If you think that's acceptable, fair enough; I think most reasonable people would be distraught to know they'd caused that kind of damage to someone. I'm sure both parties feel pretty distraught and regretful; nobody has won anything.

At least he might not intentionally damage cars again. Ireland sent soldiers younger than him to the Congo in the 1960's. One has never been found since. Others were taken prisoner of war. that 16 year old knew well what he was doing and knew it was wrong but did it anyway because he was been taught to think he could get away with it.

At least he might not intentionally damage cars again. Ireland sent soldiers younger than him to the Congo in the 1960's. One has never been found since. Others were taken prisoner of war. that 16 year old knew well what he was doing and knew it was wrong but did it anyway because he was been taught to think he could get away with it.
    ah Jaysis.

The Congo? What are you talking about? It's 2019 and not damaging cars again is no consolation for brain damage, and what are bringing up the Congo for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So based on the fact that 16 year olds were sent to the congo in the 60s and one is missing a 16 year old deserves a cracked skull and permanent brain damage for damaging a car. What would a lesser offence like littering deserve? Broken fingers? Your one strike and capital punishment by a vigilante doctrine is something you would hear in Saudi Arabia

He did wrong. He should be punished. But Jesus it should be proportionate. The actions of a 16 year old should not have reprucussions for the rest of his life. Do you think that he couldn't get on the right path or is a 16 year old who did wrong guaranteed to be a serial criminal and should be stopped immediately?

I do insist. It was an incident involving scum bags who were causing trouble outside a fella's house and damaging his property. It had happened a few times before it came to blows. Man loses the rag and hits a young fella in the head with a bat.

It's a relevant contribution to the thread as it shows what can happen to someone who thinks they are defending their property and takes things too far.

So stop being contrary little sh*te yourself. And dont tell me what's worth my while and what's not. Good lad.

One was murder, the other wasn't. A world of difference.

You might as well bring up Benny Dunne's hit on Tommy Walsh in the 2009 All Ireland. At least there was a hurley involved there.

Watch that temper, by the way.

:D

The_Brood wrote: »

The judges and this legal system that is completely on the side of criminals and druggies is a spit in the face of every honest hard working person living in Ireland. Is it a "human rights" thing? Ah sure let's not be too hard on the violent feral nutjobs, let's not infringe on their human rights!

A country that not only abandons its citizens but punishes them for standing up and protecting themselves is a complete and utter disgrace.

one does not get punished for standing up and protecting themselves in ireland, it just doesn't happen.
    they get punished for breaking the law and engaging in thug behaviour, as is quite right.

none of this is relevant to the fact the victim was a minor.
    in ireland one is still a child until they are 18 by law. whether others think being a child ends earlier matters not, the law takes precedents.
    ireland or any country sending child soldiers out to a conflict zone was just as wrong in the 60s as it is quite rightly recognized to be now. it is a breach of international law to use child soldiers in this day and age quite rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's interesting to see how many people are commenting on how he brain damaged the young lad. I'd be fairly sure his intention wasn't to inflict such severe damage yet I'd be sure the young lad tried to take his head off with the plank and you can be sure had he connected it would be all over snapchat and he'd be standing triumphantly over his victim. No excuse for chasing after him and attacking the young lad but I'd be curious if the judge took into consideration any previous events/issues when handing down the sentence. This gang could've been making the mans life a nightmare for months/years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's interesting to see how many people are commenting on how he brain damaged the young lad. I'd be fairly sure his intention wasn't to inflict such severe damage yet the I'd be sure the young lad tried to take his head off with the plank and you can be sure had he connected it would be all over snapchat and he'd be standing triumphantly over his victim. No excuse for chasing after him and attacking the young lad but I'd be curious if the judge took into consideration any previous events/issues when handing down the sentence. This gang could've been making the mans life a nightmare for months/years.

He was visiting his mother. And there is no mention of them being a gang in the report. If any of them knew of what he is capable of doing with a knife, I doubt they would have picked on him to annoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

One was murder, the other wasn't. A world of difference.

You might as well bring up Benny Dunne's hit on Tommy Walsh in the 2009 All Ireland. At least there was a hurley involved there.

Watch that temper, by the way.

:D

Correct, one ended in death and the other almost did. Yet they were very similar altercations; young scrotes intimidating people in their homes only to be confronted by someone willing to play their game (did that happen in the All Ireland match? I didnt catch that one).

The point being that when you physically confront this type of scumbag it can very easily end in the worst way. So the best option is to call the Gardai, wait a couple of days for them to show up and hope that your gaff doesnt get burned down in the mean time.

A sad state of affairs.

On another note, in the case I was talking about the mates of the young fella who was killed were later caught robbing property from the Garda station while giving statements. Just an insight into the mindset of those young fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

ah Jaysis.

The Congo? What are you talking about? It's 2019 and not damaging cars again is no consolation for brain damage, and what are bringing up the Congo for?

In fairness most of these gangs of absolute scumbags I see damaging cars and smashing windows nearly every day don't use their brains to benefit society so a smack of a hurl is the way to go. Garda don't do anything, drive into an estate do a u turn a drive out and the scum continue doing what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I really don't care for feral ****s running amok. Blame their ****ty parents and enabling laws to protect them and their behavior, not the person retaliating against these scum. But I won't cry for them, not even if they were killed as a result of their violent delinquency acts. Could do with less of them anyways...

Correct, one ended in death and the other almost did. Yet they were very similar altercations; young scrotes intimidating people in their homes only to be confronted by someone willing to play their game (did that happen in the All Ireland match? I didnt catch that one).

The point being that when you physically confront this type of scumbag it can very easily end in the worst way. So the best option is to call the Gardai, wait a couple of days for them to show up and hope that your gaff doesnt get burned down in the mean time.

A sad state of affairs.

On another note, in the case I was talking about the mates of the young fella who was killed were later caught robbing property from the Garda station while giving statements. Just an insight into the mindset of those young fellas.

I understand all that, but I don't think the picture you paint re waiting for the Guards and hoping in the meantime, is acceptable.

I don't blame them for that, but it is just not good enough and many unpalatable consequences flow from it. This being one case.

• Advertisement

Absolutely zero sympathy from me for the young fella.

The aulder fella got what he deserved.

Cant see much wrong with this case.

Advertisement